PDA

View Full Version : grouse hunting close to vancouver ?

ewiebehunter
02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Where is the closets place around the area?

Byson
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Squamish is close but grouse is closed tell september

Byson
02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Up above Britannia is wicked for Grouse though if that helps

goatdancer
02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Grouse Mountain?:eek:

bsa30-06
02-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Squamish , Harrison , Chilliwack would probably be the closest areas to vancouver.Cant speak for the other two areas but i havent seen very many grouse in the harrison area.

SHACK
02-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I guess a big question is do you have dogs? Or are you talking about road hunting with the .22?
There is lots of good areas close as mentioned above if you have a good working dog, and like a little wing shooting. You gonna burn some boot leather localy chasing you dogs around, but there is enough birds to have some fun localy this way. Looking to bust a few on the side of the road hanging out the cab of your truck is not going to get you to many birds though.
A good dog is going to net you 10 times the braces of birds no matter where you hunt em though.

Dirty
02-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I guess a big question is do you have dogs? Or are you talking about road hunting with the .22?
There is lots of good areas close as mentioned above if you have a good working dog, and like a little wing shooting. You gonna burn some boot leather localy chasing you dogs around, but there is enough birds to have some fun localy this way. Looking to bust a few on the side of the road hanging out the cab of your truck is not going to get you to many birds though.
A good dog is going to net you 10 times the braces of birds no matter where you hunt em though.

Shack, are you running pointers? Would a well trained duck dog work somewhat to flush grouse? What tips do you give for picking locations to work and working over the dog. I might be interested in trying my dog on Grouse.

yukon john
02-22-2009, 04:58 PM
anderson creek is thick with them especially if you go in the early season mostly ruffies but a few blues

SHACK
02-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes Dirty I am running a pair of GSP's, I do find that labs dont give enough lead up time on grouse in the thick cover. Its as you can emagine not the same as working behind flushing dogs in "open air" situations like pheasant fields and the like. That being said they will do just fine if you have spent enough time learning when your dog gets "birdy" and get tight with him so your ready for the flush.
I personaly look for a few things for grouse, heavy cover for safety, water, food, and gravel for thier crops. I fortunatly have dogs that dont mind running hard, so "scouting" can be easy for me, let em out of the truck and let em run up any good looking logging road with me following in the truck until they lock up on a bird, then get out and burn some shoe leather. ;)
After a few trips like this in a season you get to know what areas hold good bird populations.

ElkMasterC
02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Just make sure you have your grouse tags this year.
I heard the CO's are going to put up roadblocks.