PDA

View Full Version : Any FSJ folks want to take care of some Wolves and Yotes?

DanC
02-22-2009, 09:38 AM
If there are any predator hunters in the Fort St John region that would like to clear some out around Inga Lake I'd be greatly in your debt. I run a beagle up there for snowshoe hare and I've heard the coyotes yippin on a few occasions and yesterday saw about 5 sets of very large canine prints (I'd think they were wolf as I don't think coyotes prints are this big). Also regognized a urination station on a block of snow that they most all stop and use. I only own a 20 guage or I'd try to get them myself but the less predators the more chance my beagle wont get killed and the more hare for him to run. I also saw a cat track but don't know if it was a lynx or cougar as I'm not that experienced in identification. The cat track was about 4 inches wide, 5 long and the span between tracks about 24 inches (probably lynx then I suppose). Anyway if interested I can give you more details and would gladly come along and help pay for gas.

Thanks,

Dan C

7mag700
02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
PM sent :D

7m7

Wolfman
02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
If there are any predator hunters in the Fort St John region that would like to clear some out around Inga Lake I'd be greatly in your debt. I run a beagle up there for snowshoe hare and I've heard the coyotes yippin on a few occasions and yesterday saw about 5 sets of very large canine prints (I'd think they were wolf as I don't think coyotes prints are this big). Also regognized a urination station on a block of snow that they most all stop and use. I only own a 20 guage or I'd try to get them myself but the less predators the more chance my beagle wont get killed and the more hare for him to run. I also saw a cat track but don't know if it was a lynx or cougar as I'm not that experienced in identification. The cat track was about 4 inches wide, 5 long and the span between tracks about 24 inches (probably lynx then I suppose). Anyway if interested I can give you more details and would gladly come along and help pay for gas.

Thanks,

Dan C

Dan, hey! How's it going?

While I'm not up in FSJ, I'm intrigued by your mention of running a beagle for hare.

Ever since I was a boy have loved beagles, and about a few months ago I made contact with a lady out east who raises them. Got myself on a puppy waiting list.

Anyway, I was wondering what running beagles is like and what kind of dogs there are?

Thanks

Mike

7mag700
03-02-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks,

Dan C

Well Dan you weren't kidding about all the 'yote sign out there. It's a fricken' coyote highway. Took the GF out there on Saturday. We walked in from the main road about 1/2 km and set up on the hillside with a good view in 2 directions.

It was a beautiful day, nice and calm, with just a bit of swirling wind. We called using the Johnny Stewart PM3 I bought for the occasion, using the rabbit in distress call at increasing volume. We were there for a few hours, and I'm pretty sure I heard something circle behind us in the trees, which would have been downwind from us. Nothing we could do about it. We sure had a good time though, hanging out, drinking homemade soup, and just enjoying the quiet.

We tried two other spots as well, but never saw more sign than we did at that spot.

I'm betting a lot of the activity on that 'highway' is nocturnal. I'm going to try to get up there again for first light.

7m7

BigBanger
03-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Sounds great . take the camera . Good luck .

7mag700
03-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Well I left town at 6:00am to get up there at first light. It's snowing like hell so saw only one track, looked like wolf, and it was about 1 or 2" filled in so at least an hour or two old. Walked in as far as the corner but only saw a martin. Don't think the 'yotes are moving around in all that light fluffy snow.

It was kinda cool though - where the wolf track disappeared into the bush it passed under about a 3" deadfall. Thought to myself: that's where PG66 would hang a snare for sure :grin:

7m7

ve7iuq
03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
The cat track you saw was likely a cougar. Probably a large cougar, as the pace of an average cougar is more like 22 inches.
If you noticed, the dead give away between the two is, if the front track claws are seen in the snow, it is a cougar.
A lynx makes about the same size front foot as the cougar, but no claw tracks will be seen, just a fuzzy foot track.