PDA

View Full Version : Out on the Harrison.

Qwa-honn
02-21-2009, 09:54 PM
We got out today but no birds in hand. A decent number of bird on the river but they ended up all flying back at once.(Someone/something spooked them off of the field) Dutchie and his dad and I got to sit and practice the calling. Nice to sit in the sun even when we got back to the boat lunch we sat around playing with our calls. Was a nice relaxing day.

PGK
02-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I am so ridiculously jealous of you guys hunting birds in February....

dutchie
02-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I have got alot of bird hunting done this year, and even tho i did not take a shot at a bird yesterday, this outing was one of the most enjoyable hunts to the season.

For me i love shooting birds, i love eating them but I enjoy the time outdoors more then anything!

Thanks for the awsome day yesterday qwa-honn, and I am definatly glad we didn't have to go for a swim!;)

dutchie

Geronimo
02-22-2009, 03:38 PM
The day on the Harrison with Qwa-honn was fantastic Bright sunshine all day,clear skies, and we got to watch a lot of different waterfowl (most out of season--Mallards,Widgeon,Pintails etc.etc.) And the Canada's (geese) were fantastic---Out of range unfortunately--Nevertheless a truly fine relaxing day---The reinforcement of how hard one has to work at becoming invisible on the hunt really was brought forward with the fact that we had a couple of small flocks of Canada's very interested in our decoys, and were cupped and almost commited--then they saw something, maybe the way our blinds were set up on the sandbank, or the little off color they were, or just the fact that there were bumps on the sand that weren't there earlier was enough to spin them away before they came into range --fabulous to watch in the distance when they hovered into the wind, almost not moving in thier descent into the river a couple hundred yards away.-- Thanks Qwa-honn for the experience--wonderful day, great company, and a glimpse of another way to hunt these birds, as well as some great tips on blowing the goose calls we have acquired over the last season.

Buck
02-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a good day.Went out with Dano today and we got 10 it was a very good shoot.I would post picks but battery was dead in the camera Damn.I also got a double with one shot today made my day.

02-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a good day.Went out with Dano today and we got 10 it was a very good shoot.I would post picks but battery was dead in the camera Damn.I also got a double with one shot today made my day.

What area were you hunting Buck?
I went out to pitt meadows on friday and got skunked, and only saw a few birds flying.

Gunner
02-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Saw the first birds locally today,about 30 in a field I have permission on.I raced home and washed the snow covers for the lay down blinds and patched the rips made in the covers from birds landing on them.I love white duct tape!Decoys are cleaned and the flocked heads brushed off,ready to go.It's going to warm up,so Tueday morning we'll be out.Tomorrow morning I'll be scouting our other fields. Good luck to all! Gunner

dutchie
02-22-2009, 08:47 PM

Did you get Kyla out? or were you on Dano's dog?

dutchie

Dano
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
What area were you hunting Buck?
I went out to pitt meadows on friday and got skunked, and only saw a few birds flying.

Sorry, small area where we were hunting but you should look harder as there are some birds around that area :-).
Danny left out some good details. We arrived after daylight, we set up the blind and dekes and were just getting the dogs into the blind when a flight of about 8 came by. I called and they came at us, Tom and I got one each and Danny didn't fire a shot..... he hadn't loaded his gun yet! :lol: Then a pair came at us on Danny's side, I was just about to shoot when Danny fired and both geese tumbled. Those 3 1/2" shells can do some damage! Right away a single came in, we let Danny take it too and I only 3 /4 raised my gun as it was almost landing. Then I heard Danny click and pump! By the time I lined up the goose Danny had cycled a round and dropped the honker, he had either left an empty in the chamber or not loaded the chamber. In the end, a good shot though!
Probably the best local goose shoot I've been on. Can't wait for next weekend!
Dan
P.S. Shot Brian's SX3 saturday up at Mission. Very nice gun, don't think I missed with it. I sure hope your friends enjoyed the shooting Brian! :lol: BTW, I've already shot about 1500 rounds this year......
Dutchie, we had both dogs out and they pretty much split the retrieving. Kayla did well and figured out how to pick a big bird up (near the base of the neck). Too bad about the camera as there were a couple nice photo oportunities. I forgot my camera too, this was the second hunt since the mid december freeze and I had taken the camera out of my bag long ago.....

02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
what does your decoy spread look like? how far are you spacing them?

Dano
02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
what does your decoy spread look like? how far are you spacing them?

Nothing fancy. We just had 7 decoys (cheapies) and put 4 on the upwind side (out to about 20 yards) and one close in front of us, 2 just downwind to about 15 yards.....
We'll be getting more and better decoys for next year. :smile:

Dan