PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Kill

PGK
02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
They ran her for a couple km on the lake before getting the job done. The hinds were mostly eaten, and of course the guts. Lots of meat still on the fronts, they were probably back last night, as the pics were taken yesterday morning. They sure know how to get'er done!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/2009-JPRF36.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/2009-JPRF32.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/2009-JPRF33.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Tako870/2009-JPRF35.jpg

6 K
02-21-2009, 09:19 PM
They 'll be back.
Set up and whack em!

killman
02-21-2009, 09:20 PM
PGK where did ya find that?

brianscott
02-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Looks like a decent size pack to flatten that much snow.
Everything has to eat though.

Time to set up a blind and break out the foxpro, show them who the top of the food chain really is.

Whack em and Stack em

PGK
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
PGK where did ya find that?

A long ways north of FSJames.

Wolves gotta eat too. I'm not real interested in driving all the way back out there to take potshots at them :lol:

killman
02-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Wolves gotta eat too. I'm not real interested in driving all the way back out there to take potshots at them :lol:

:frown:...............:cool:

whitetailsheds
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM

Well then tell some of your PG buddies who will.....

ruger#1
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Stop trying to be an anti and go get them.

proguide66
02-21-2009, 10:46 PM
OH MY GOD...look at those WAYYY YUMMY 'trails in' coming from the bush....holy SNARE SUCCESS there!....drooling.......

proguide66
02-21-2009, 10:47 PM
If no trap license , I would be sitting in rifle range with a wolf call....the pack would probably come a runnin to kick some ass of newbe wolves hittin there kill !

PGK
02-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it'd be an easy setup, for sure ... lol, I'm a friggin anti cause I don't want to kill every wolf walking. Nice.

Bowtime
02-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Did you try howling at all at the time? Even if it's mid day, they will usually answer.

Gateholio
02-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah, it'd be an easy setup, for sure ... lol, I'm a friggin anti cause I don't want to kill every wolf walking. Nice.

No matter how many wolves are trapped or shot in BC, they will not be exterminated.

Shoot every wolf you see, and they will not die off.....

SteadyGirl
02-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Current technology coupled with government incentive could easily "exterminate" every wolf in wilds of North America were the government enclinded to do so.

mark
02-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Current technology coupled with government incentive could easily "exterminate" every wolf in wilds of North America were the government enclinded to do so.

I agree with gates, way too elusive to get em all!
Care to tell us how that could be done steady????

Will
02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Wolves have been exterminated in most of the United States for close to a hundered years......pretty common knowledge.

So yes it's possible.......Canada of course with our Large tracks of uninhabited wilderness is a great haven for wolves.

So long as there is game to eat they will flourish here...despite our efforts 8-)

But to think it would be impossible to "get them all" is abit ignorant of past history...bring back some real value to thier pelts and I'd bet you'd see the wolves numbers dive even up here in a few years:wink:

Cool Pics PGK ! THanks for the Look !

PGK
02-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Nobody denies wolf numbers are stable to climbing all over the province. I just figure they aren't bothering anybody by trying to eat :lol: I'll flip my safety off at a wolf just like anybody else, but they're targets of opportunity. I'm not too keen on chasing them all over hells half acre just for going out to dinner :lol:

I would have tried howling, but we had just run in on sleds, so I didn't think it was worthwhile. But hell, they could have been sitting 50 yards back in those willows and we never would have seen them.

Gateholio
02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Wolves have been exterminated in most of the United States for close to a hundered years......pretty common knowledge.

So yes it's possible.......Canada of course with our Large tracks of uninhabited wilderness is a great haven for wolves.

So long as there is game to eat they will flourish here...despite our efforts 8-)

But to think it would be impossible to "get them all" is abit ignorant of past history...bring back some real value to thier pelts and I'd bet you'd see the wolves numbers dive even up here in a few years:wink:

Cool Pics PGK ! THanks for the Look !

Without a well funded, dedicated program involving poison, traps, aerial shooting and anything else you can think up, wolves in BC are not going to be exterminated. Even then, it would be impossible to get them all, due to our terrain - coastal jungle, high, rugged peaks etc)

Even if wolf pelts were worth $500 each, we still wouldn't see hordes of trappers killing wolves- There are way easier ways to make a living, and most trap lines lie dormant anyway.

I'm not suggesting we kill them all- They have thier place. If nothing else, Wolves are one of those species like grizzly bears, that remind us of the wild, wild spaces...A few times every year a pack comes near my house and howls at night. I enjoy it, but am also cautious because of the livestock and dogs;-)

just for fun
02-22-2009, 01:47 PM
i saw a program where they killed all the wolves in yellow stone.then the trees stop growing. this was cause the elk could stay and eat tell it was all gone . with out the wolves to push them around .they had no beaver with no trees.it was comeing a waste land .so they took some canadian wolves to the park to get things back to normal. so with out the wolves there would be no hunting for any of us in time .

Stone Sheep Steve
02-22-2009, 02:24 PM
i saw a program where they killed all the wolves in yellow stone.then the trees stop growing. this was cause the elk could stay and eat tell it was all gone . with out the wolves to push them around .they had no beaver with no trees.it was comeing a waste land .so they took some canadian wolves to the park to get things back to normal. so with out the wolves there would be no hunting for any of us in time .

If we had no wolves and no hunting(like Yellowstone), we too would have some issues with too high ungulate populations.

The wolves have come back down there back to a point where the ranchers are not fans of the wolves....just like the old days.

Wolves were extirpated for a reason in the lower 48.

SSS

PGK
02-22-2009, 02:29 PM
If we had no wolves and no hunting(like Yellowstone), we too would have some issues with too high ungulate populations.

The wolves have come back down there back to a point where the ranchers are not fans of the wolves....just like the old days.

Wolves were extirpated for a reason in the lower 48.

SSS

And what reason was that? Fear? Greed? Stupidity? Whatever it was, it wasn't a good reason. The record has shown that taking the wolves out has exploded the ungulate population, which in turn had drastic impacts on the fluvial processes on the landscape, which in turn decreased the overall productivity of the landscape to support life!
The only good wolf is a live wolf, in my opinion. It's when their numbers get inflated due to inflated prey numbers, like we are experiencing in BC right now, that they become somewhat of a problem to vulnerable species.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-22-2009, 02:34 PM
And what reason was that? Fear? Greed? Stupidity? Whatever it was, it wasn't a good reason. The record has shown that taking the wolves out has exploded the ungulate population, which in turn had drastic impacts on the fluvial processes on the landscape, which in turn decreased the overall productivity of the landscape to support life!
The only good wolf is a live wolf, in my opinion. It's when their numbers get inflated due to inflated prey numbers, like we are experiencing in BC right now, that they become somewhat of a problem to vulnerable species.

As a rancher it was about feeding your family and making a living.
Every head killed by wolves was took money/food from their pockets. It wasn't like it is today. They had to make a living off the land.

Go on Google Earth and cruise the Can/US border. There's a lot of people down there crammed into way less space than we have here.

SSS

GoatGuy
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM

"vulnerable species" and consumptive users.

I think all your saying, in your own PGK way, is that wolves are part of the big picture BUT that they need to be managed just as everything else is.

I don't disagree with you on that.:wink:

GoatGuy
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM

WTF, over?

GoatGuy
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Without a well funded, dedicated program involving poison, traps, aerial shooting and anything else you can think up, wolves in BC are not going to be exterminated. Even then, it would be impossible to get them all, due to our terrain - coastal jungle, high, rugged peaks etc)

Even if wolf pelts were worth $500 each, we still wouldn't see hordes of trappers killing wolves- There are way easier ways to make a living, and most trap lines lie dormant anyway.

I'm not suggesting we kill them all- They have thier place. If nothing else, Wolves are one of those species like grizzly bears, that remind us of the wild, wild spaces...A few times every year a pack comes near my house and howls at night. I enjoy it, but am also cautious because of the livestock and dogs;-)

They tried all that stuff back in the day. Predator control through poisoning, helicopter, trapping and bounty system basically on everything that had big teeth or claws.

It no worky worky.

PGK
02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
GoatGuy for prezident of the world :biggrin:

BlacktailStalker
02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Crappy way to go.
Always amazes me how much they gnaw on the face, ya wouldnt think there was much there to chew on.

Islandeer
02-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Steady, admitted to any MORE criminal activity lately?

PGK
02-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Crappy way to go.
Always amazes me how much they gnaw on the face, ya wouldnt think there was much there to chew on.

Yeah that surprised me too, the whole jaw was eaten away. They hadn't gotten to the brain yet though, from what I could tell.

Will
02-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Trap lines lie dormant because you can't make enough money trapping to pay for sled fuel nowadays.....;)

Trapping and the Trapper life has sadly become a mere hobby at best :(

budismyhorse
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
......which in turn had drastic impacts on the fluvial processes on the landscape, which in turn decreased the overall productivity of the landscape to support life!...........

PGK, not trying to be an A#$le here, but please explain what you mean by this?

Fluvial regarding rivers and stream deposits, not sure how pred/prey relationships affect this....but I'm always trying to learn.

cheers

PGK
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
PGK, not trying to be an A#$le here, but please explain what you mean by this?

Fluvial regarding rivers and stream deposits, not sure how pred/prey relationships affect this....but I'm always trying to learn.

cheers

Less predators mean more prey. More ungulates need more water. Can happen the same way a herd of cattle will trample a streambank. A huge herd of elk will trample a streambank down, causing erosion, and/or eat down the vegetation to a point it dies back and the roots can't hold soil anymore. Less trees can equal less beavers, which means less water retention and higher runoff, more sedimentation, which can decrease fish and aquatic invertebrate habitat, which can remove nutrient from the sytems, making a less prodctive environment for plant growth.....it's all connected.
Too many variables to grasp the whole sytem accurately, really. But thats sort of how it can work

Look74
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
If a pack of wolves would kill a large animal quickly and eat all they kill it would not be so bad. They often leave a large part of a kill during the summer http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/C:\Documents and Settings\Jack\My Documents\My Pictures\2008-09 (Sep)\Moose W A.JPGand the maggots get hundreds of pounds of meat. A pack may take 24 hours to bring down a moose.

budismyhorse
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Less predators mean more prey. More ungulates need more water. Can happen the same way a herd of cattle will trample a streambank. A huge herd of elk will trample a streambank down, causing erosion, and/or eat down the vegetation to a point it dies back and the roots can't hold soil anymore. Less trees can equal less beavers, which means less water retention and higher runoff, more sedimentation, which can decrease fish and aquatic invertebrate habitat, which can remove nutrient from the sytems, making a less prodctive environment for plant growth.....it's all connected.
Too many variables to grasp the whole sytem accurately, really. But thats sort of how it can work

fair enough, but if you are getting scientific, I have to have some references to go along with those statements. Seems like you are getting it from somewhere, I'm interested in reading it.

PGK
02-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, I've gone 20G into the red to learn about ecosystem processes, so it'd probably be difficult to reiterate four years of teaching in one post :lol:
I'm more or less going off the top of my head with what CAN happen. I'm not saying all the things that have happened to the landscape in Yellowstone are a result of removing predators, but over the years, the evidence has come to show that wolves were a major player in that type of ecosystem, and once removed created this giant snowball effect on the landscape nobody expected.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Well, I've gone 20G into the red to learn about ecosystem processes, so it'd probably be difficult to reiterate four years of teaching in one post :lol:
I'm more or less going off the top of my head with what CAN happen. I'm not saying all the things that have happened to the landscape in Yellowstone are a result of removing predators, but over the years, the evidence has come to show that wolves were a major player in that type of ecosystem, and once removed created this giant snowball effect on the landscape nobody expected.

To duplicate Yellystone in this province we would have to stop harvesting ungulates.....and not interfere with migration and a "whole lot" of other things.

Hard to compare the two.

SSS

betteroffishing
02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
a large part , id say the largest part of the reason wolves are nearly extinct in the lower 48 is due to lack of habitat , remember they have a huuuuge population down there , we just simply dont compare so yes you can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that we in canada will never, NEVER see the end of wolves. click bang

budismyhorse
02-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm more or less going off the top of my head with what CAN happen.
Thats what I thought.

I'm not saying all the things that have happened to the landscape in Yellowstone are a result of removing predators, but over the years, the evidence has come to show that wolves were a major player in that type of ecosystem, and once removed created this giant snowball effect on the landscape nobody expected.

I agree with your bottom para, and would imagine that it carries more weight in this discussion than stretching what you think can happen with nothing solid to back it up with.

I figured if you were saying something as strong as interupting "fluvial processes" you had something for reference ...instead of a University debt that is. :mrgreen:

thanks for answering PGK. cheers.

PGK
02-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I figured if you were saying something as strong as interupting "fluvial processes" you had something for reference ...instead of a University debt that is. :mrgreen:

thanks for answering PGK. cheers.

Just part of the lingo, I am a fish guy after all, wtf do I know about wolves :mrgreen:

ALPINE
02-24-2009, 10:30 AM

HuH? :confused: Where did that come from?

ve7iuq
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

BULL BISCUITS!

Sounds like more "facts" coming from a typical arm chair expert.

ve7iuq
02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
In your first picture, it looks like the flattened out spot to the left of the cow, is where they ate the calf. Did you examin that spot? If they ate the calf there, there would have been a good supply of very small pieces of splintered bone.
The close up picture of the matted hair, was this taken at the flattened out area to the left of the cow? If it was, then for sure they ate the calf there.
Also, did you follow back on the tracks to see if there were indeed, two moose tracks coming in.

PGK
02-24-2009, 09:30 PM
In your first picture, it looks like the flattened out spot to the left of the cow, is where they ate the calf. Did you examin that spot? If they ate the calf there, there would have been a good supply of very small pieces of splintered bone.
The close up picture of the matted hair, was this taken at the flattened out area to the left of the cow? If it was, then for sure they ate the calf there.
Also, did you follow back on the tracks to see if there were indeed, two moose tracks coming in.

There was no calf, just a big ol lone cow. Judging by tooth wear, she was getting up there in age

houndogger
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
There was no calf, just a big ol lone cow. Judging by tooth wear, she was getting up there in age
Can't judge age by tooth wear.

PGK
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Can't judge age by tooth wear.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

ve7iuq
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
If a calf wasn't eaten, then what accounts for the large, flattened out area, maybe covered in hair?

PGK
02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
If a calf wasn't eaten, then what accounts for the large, flattened out area, maybe covered in hair?

That's where the cow was killed, the large green ball is her stomach contents so thats where she finally gave up, and then she was dragged over to where she sits in the pic, sometime after rigor set in.

ve7iuq
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
OK, That would do it.