PDA

View Full Version : Private land Hunting

BCKID
11-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Anyone know how to contact the owner of private land other than going to talk to them. I have a few spots I would like to hunt in but I don't know if it is private land or not. Also, are you allowed to hunt on summer range lease land without permission? Thanks BCKID

Fred
11-02-2005, 09:50 AM
It is Always a good idea to talk to the people in charge of a property. You can usually find out who has control by going to the local Property Tax office and looking up the property in question. Fred

Sikanni Stalker
11-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Try and get the stake # also, might save you a trip when you get to the municipal office.

Dirty
11-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Is there anywhere that you can go and view maps that show where crown land is?

sealevel
11-02-2005, 03:42 PM
the bc forestry has all the maps tells you whos land and the boundereys as long as it borders crown land. a grazing lease yes you have to get permisson but not open range .

PGKris
11-02-2005, 03:52 PM
I assume by grazing lease you mean community pasture? If it's community pasture then yes, you can hunt without permission but it's always a good idea to check. I go by the assumption that if it's not posted or fenced it's crown land (unless it's obviously cultivated) I would not go for the forestry maps because a lot of times they're out of date.
The property tax office is a good idea. A problem I've run in to up here is people with only timber licences to an area fence the area to keep people out (which is illegal). So if you think your trophy buck is standing on illegally fenced property then you should check it out with the tax office because if the land is owned it will be in the tax records. (To the best of my knowledge)
KRIS

rock
11-02-2005, 11:45 PM
It is Always a good idea to talk to the people in charge of a property. You can usually find out who has control by going to the local Property Tax office and looking up the property in question. Fred
Fred is right on been there done that.:-D

Jager
11-03-2005, 10:28 AM
I found a great site here in Nanaimo. The RDN (regional district of nanaimo) has a website for all the local stuff....parks, bylaws, building permits, etc. There are even airphotos with a property lines layer you can click on. This is great for us east van isle guys that want to take advantage of some of the shotgun only areas. Maybe there are other municipalities that have similar maps.....it wouldn't hurt to look.

J_T
11-03-2005, 02:15 PM
The BC Government maintains a number of great map sites at http://maps.gov.bc.ca/

Most data, either spatial (mapped) or attribute (information) is stored in a central location called the Land Resource Data Warehouse (LRDW).

If you go to the site above, you will find a number of great sites. However, specifically on surveyed land ---- on the left side moving down, look for "Online Cadastre" (Cadastre meaning surveyed land).

This will bring up a map of the province. The dark blue banner across the top provides separate functionality to be displayed on the right hand side. The next row down (just above the map) will provide you with a number of mapping tools. The default is set to use the "zoom in" tool.

- So just zoom in to your area of interest.
- Go to the Blue banner and select layers.
- You will see the scale of your view in the bottom left.
- You will notice a variety of layers on the right, and some will have a red asterick on them. Place your mouse over the red asterick and it will tell you at what scale that particular feature will be turned on.

Once you are zoomed in and have your survey parcels turned on, you can then "query" the status of a particular lot.

When you are complete, you can make a print of the map.

Enough for now. If you want to learn more, select the "Tutorial" key from the blue banner.

Once you get proficient with it, you can turn on the air photos, you can write on the map and doodle away until you have a product you want.

JT

bushape
11-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Most municipalities are coming on board with GIS (geographical information system) that allows you to aquire all the info on a particular lot or leased land. Try it online, get your desired property descriptions and go to the tax office or even the local library, which also has the registered owner of a property if you have the legal descrip.

GL

PGKris
11-03-2005, 11:38 PM
I had to get really technical with a city map last week. There was a spot I wanted to rifle hunt and it was practically this far |---------------------------------------------| outside city limits. Very close but legal. Sometimes mapping courses pay off....