PDA

View Full Version : do beagles noses really get them into trouble?

Mr. Friendly
02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
or can they be trained to behave and get over something they get a whiff of?

DanC
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Beagles are extremely smart and persistant (alright damn stubborn!) but they are very trainable if you are even more stubborn than they are. I have an 11 month old beagle pup (my first dog) and is already shaping up to me an amazing pet and rabbit dog. I take him off leash in the woods on a regular basis and he hasn't run away (he always comes back unless he's on a rabbit than nothing but actually catching him will stop him). If you are asking for a pet they are very loyal and happy dogs but require lots of attention and exercise (thats why so many beagle are overweight) as a hunter they need to master basic obiedience and than introduct them to an e collar. If they get on a deer, moose, or any other animal you don't want them running they get zapped. You can't just start zapping them for things unless they already know why they are being punished. So to make a long answer even longer, there noses can get them into trouble it the owners let them.

chilcotin hillbilly
02-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Beagles are hounds and they don't rank very high on the smart charts. that being said, if the owner is willing to put the extra effort in and invest in a shock collar and not be afraid to use it I am sure a beagle could make a good pet. Last year we had 5 beagles in the area I live , this year we have none. All were killed while out running deer or the owners just got sick of the constant work and sold there problem to someone else.

Barracuda
02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
how the heck would a beagle be killed for running deer?

In general hounds are scent driven and tend to follow thier noses but i have seen a beagle trained for obediance trials . I guess it really depends on how much effort a person wants to put into it.

many times the dumb dogs are the result of dumb owners and what i mean by that is one size does not fit all in training or training methods .

DanC
02-22-2009, 11:04 AM
while the dog might not die from running deer (although some will run themselves to death they have that much drive) more than likely they ran them so far that they couldn't be caught, die from starvation, exposure, or other predators. Running rabbits is good because they do a circle and can be intercepted if needed. Deer run straight and can take your dog far far away (which is why you need an e collar). But as said earlier it really is how much time you put into proper training.

Dan C

Wolfman
02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I've heard that much depends on the individual dog and indeed, the person the dog lives with...

I've had dogs that the person I adopted them from told me were not very trainable or not very sociable. I never had any problems and I ain't no pro dog trainer by any remote stretch of the imagination ;-)

I think its a matter of letting the dog know who's the alpha and also giving a lot of love and attention.

Mike

BCBRAD
02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I had a beagle for 13yrs, it was not his nose that got him in trouble it was his prick!!

Barracuda
02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
"All were killed while out running deer or the owners just got sick of the constant work and sold there problem to someone else."

this is the quote .

It didnt say lost .

Beagles are used routenly for deer(off leash) in other countries without issue and tracking collers are the norm (you have no excuse to hunt hounds without them as far as i am concerned ) .

We have one of our hounds(coon hounds)I could trust to run without a coller but only if she is by herself , She checks in every 5 mins and moves the trail as you do unless she gets a hit and then its off to the races but she can be called in again . This works well for coons or on farms etc.
The other ones will go deep :| which can be a blessing or a burdon .
I also would say that hounds are not like collies or other car smart breeds so getting run over is a big concern.

Beagles in general are not a real deep hunting dog so even if it does go deep you will most likley find it back at the jacket you have left for the dog at the beginning of the track.

so to answer you question mr friendly yes beagles can be trained to discriminate but they are a hound so sometimes that nose can get them in trouble if you dont stay on top of it. One other thing to consider is that Beagles can be very vocal LOL!

chilcotin hillbilly
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
how the heck would a beagle be killed for running deer?

In general hounds are scent driven and tend to follow thier noses but i have seen a beagle trained for obediance trials . I guess it really depends on how much effort a person wants to put into it.

many times the dumb dogs are the result of dumb owners and what i mean by that is one size does not fit all in training or training methods .

Barracuda, I guess I should have said that I presumed they were killed as 3 of the five ran deer and never came home. they could have been killed by wolves ,coyotes or nieghbours as running deer is greatly frown apon in this neck of the woods. As far as not travelling to far all the beagles at one point had been picked up at least 5 miles from there homes. People have know business owning a beagle unless they can first understand the way a hounds mind works.