PDA

View Full Version : Blacktails

slyfox
11-01-2005, 11:14 PM
I have never hunted blacktails just white and mule deer and would like to try a shot at it this month but have no idea were to start.I think that harrison has blacktails should i hunt this area or try around squamish and what would be the best way to hunt this animal road hunting or in open clearcuts is there anyone that could give me some information

Marc
11-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Well I don't know if they hunt them the same on the mainland but on the Island the best time to hunt them seems to be when it's raining. You can find them out in the slashes as well as the big timber. They're like any other deer in that your best opertunity to see them is early morning and just before dark. I'd do a bit of road hunting till you find an area with enough sign to consider walking. (look for rubs in the ditches, tracks on the road and deer in the slashes.)

Marc.

slyfox
11-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks MARC how about texada island but i heard the deer are real small.

Steeleco
11-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Marc nailed it, Blacktails do like to hang out a bit later in the worst weather. There are many spots to hunt Blacktails in the lower mainland, finding one is another thing. That said the next few weeks would be your best chance, they may be moving down and more active because of the comming rutt. I'd try the Chealis area over the top of Mystery creek to the Harrison west road. Lots of area, not enough time!!!

Check out http://www.blacktailcountry.com/ lots to learn on this site.

ratherbefishin
11-02-2005, 07:20 AM
you can often find blacktails bedded down on open mossy rocks in the rain.Wear good rain gear and walk slowly, keep your eyes open for a flicker of a ear or tail.They seem like they can stand stalk still for a long long time-but can't stop twitching their tail.

Hambone
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Texada island has a large number of blacktails, however the deer can be really small and there is lots of hunters! depending on what type of hunting you enjoy im sure you will see them driving or hunting clearcuts. There must be pretty good success rates on that island, the one time i was there you could see lots of gut piles along the roads. I would rather hunt somewhere with less people myself. Good luck on getting a blacktail.

slyfox
11-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I ,d like to thank every one for the info on how to hunt bl deer i shot a nice 2 by 2 yesterday in squimish a saw a monster that did not give me time to shoot but thats all right the season only closes on dec 15 lotes off time to try for that big one going to superstore to go get the pics thanks slyfox

trophyslayer
11-22-2005, 12:37 AM
try up chilliwack river way i just shot a nice 3x3 up there and the rut is definetly underway cause he was stinky swollen up and really stupid i got pics in my gallery give it a look

Freshtracks
11-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Had a tough time seeing it. Any better pics? Looks like a great looking blacktail.

Husky7mm
11-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Good for you my blacktail experience is 0 for 6.(yrs) I think the tracks are made by ghost. I move to the Kootneys to avoid killing myself in fustration!

ratherbefishin
11-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Blacktail hunting can be frustrating-at times it's rediculously easy and other times you would think they are only nocturnal.They are highly adaptable having moved into the suburbs-and you see many does and young bucks,but the big guys are almost totally inviseable-except at night.They seem to reappear in June-July and are commonly seen in hayfields.All they need is a tiny patch of thicket or blackberry tangle ,even on a vacant lot to hide out.A fresh fall of snow can be quite revealing.For about a week at the peak of the rut they seem to lose all caution and you see the big guys on the move even mid day, but once that's over they revert to their elusive habits.However-hunting in the rain seems to be productive-you can sometimes catch them bedded down on open mossy rock outcroppings

slyfox
11-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Boy do i have a story. to tell you guys went to the area were i shot my last bltail hunted hard for about 3 hours saw 4 does on the way back home i thought id try this old dirt road that goes to a nice clear cut it was about 1 30 i looked around did not see nothing in the clear cut so i went for a walk to see if i could see any sign in the cut but like a stuped ass left the gun in the truck and brote the dog no forther then 80 yards in the cut to real nice bucks sleeping behind a dead tree and all i have is my binocs around my neace i dont no want ran faster the deer or the dog behind them all i have to say stuped ass but ill always have something:confused: :oops: to laugh about.

ratherbefishin
11-24-2005, 07:57 AM
yah and how many times have I stepped out of the truck to look over the edge,and there was a buck right there,spots me as I spot him-too late to go back and get my rifle