PDA

View Full Version : woodstove in wall tent

Coyote
02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Where do you guys like to set up the woodstove in your wall tent?? I've seen them at the back but recently saw a set up just inside the door and off to one side. Any advantage to one or the other??

'yote

ryanhuntslots
02-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Off to one side at the front keeps you from tracking dirt bark ect. all through your tent,, works good as far as we have found

Wild Bill
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I prefer the stove at the front, just inside the door. That way you're not packing wood in over top of your bedding. I have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet cut to fit from the back wall to just before the stove. That way the wood pile and the dirty boots are on the ground and you can walk around in sock/bare feet. God help anyone I catch on the carpet with their boots on!

kastles
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
WE have our stove staight piped through the roof in the front corner of the tent. It was explained to us, and makes sense, that if it is at the back it will pull cold air from the door all the way through the tent, cooling down the occupants. Plus the dirt thing.

kastles

jeeper
02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
For sure in the front corner and through the roof !

Less mess farther into the tent , through the roof for ease of stove pipe setup and draw !

Bruce

Coyote
02-19-2009, 09:44 PM
What are the drawbacks to having the stovepipe hole in the wall as opposed to the roof. A buddy had his tent catch fire when some sparkes landed on the roof. He had a roof hole. Would a wall hole have prevented this???

'yote

jeeper
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
What are the drawbacks to having the stovepipe hole in the wall as opposed to the roof. A buddy had his tent catch fire when some sparkes landed on the roof. He had a roof hole. Would a wall hole have prevented this???

'yote

All tents sold in Canada have to have a fire ******ent coating applied to the tent ! Ive had one tent for 15 years and the flame ******ent is not as effective as it will smoulder if a large enough ember lands on the tent . With the side exit it may have a bit less of a chance of having an embor land on the tent but a bit of a breeze and it will end up on the tent !

Going through the roof there is a far better chance you will have a longer stove pipe through the roof so better draw and a good chance that a breeze will keep the embers off the tent !

Bruce

bc sportsman
02-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I have a 12 x 17 wall tent with doors at either end, plus windows. Have the stove near the door we use as the front entrance and the pipe goes thru the wall rather than the roof. From our expereince, here are the pros and cons of having the stove by the entrance and off to one side with stove pipe going out side wall:

Improved cleanliness
More room for other stuff
Convenient to reload wood
Easy to cool down tent if it gets too hot by just opening doorway
No water running down tentpipe hole
Reduced sparks because there are two 90 deg bends in pipe which I 'think' cools down the embers so sparks leaving the pipe are less hot.

Downside is that in a strong wind, the walls shake a little and tends to move the pipe (due to friction of the tent hole ring with the stove pipe). Never had the pipes come loose (in 20 yrs) but on occassion, have to jiggle things back together to get realigned.

tomahawk
02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Just inside the front door with enough room to store items and firewood.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/HuntingChurn08008-1-1.jpg

Geo.338
02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
We have two wall tents .Both are piped through the wall ,one at the front by the door the other at the back wall .We prefer the stove to be by the door as that is where the cold air originates .
We like the pipe through the wall better than the roof as when we put a tarp over we do not have to cut a hole for the pipe to go through .

The Hermit
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I have had both, prefer thru the wall at the back of the tent. If I need to get out in a hurray I don't want the stove in the way. Also, I like a bit of fresh air by my bed (near the door) cause lets be honest these tents get friggin cookin inside with the stove going.

Thru the roof is an easier set up but have to cut hole in tarp/fly and water comes in hits the stove and causes higher humidity and even some condensation in coastal weather.

This year I solved the stove pipe support issue by using piece of rebar with a Y welded on the end... just hammer it into the ground and prop up the stove pipe and run the pipe about five feet away from the tent... one angle off the stove and out the wall... beauty!

sparkes3
02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
by the door that way any one that gets up can stuff in some wood on the way back in

iiijbird
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
this is what I got.....It works.
This was about a week ago, I think Ill be going there tomorrow
Curtis.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0796.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12970)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0771.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12971)

aggiehunter
02-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Jeepers, You can't say ******.