PDA

View Full Version : A tale of a hunt.

Mr. Dean
02-19-2009, 02:45 AM
It was time.

I hadn't been able to get out hunting since the Christmas holidays. The bottled up energy within was at overload capacity and when Mrs. Dean offered to cover me off of my daily duties, I eagerly accepted. If she was hoping for different, she was sadly mistaken...

So this morning had me scrambling for gear. The Jeep was up to the task after some minor revisions and a bag lunch was at the ready. All I had to do was GO! And go I did - With the .223 riding on the Ladies Seat, chains for 4 wheels in the back, the Johny Stewart Prey Master digi-call all freshly batteried up, all I needed was some go-go juice and then set my sights on my 'Secret Spot'.

It was a beutiful day for the short drive and the feeling of peace soon set in as the city lost sight in the rear views.

Once of the hwy, I chained everything up and got 'stuff' ready. The drive was tough. Even with all the fancy jewelry clanking away, several times things came to a halt and I would have to reverse and eye up a new line. I finally had to call it quits and ended up walking in the last 1k to my Secret Spot, in snow well over my knees. No problem, happy to do it. Too bad I forgot my rifle sling though.

As I'm hiking in, I'm seeing lots of sign. There was a Moose that wandered around as well as several Deer. But what was catching my eye was the amount of rabbit tracks... This was going to be a very good day - I could feel it.

I choose to set up my 1st stand on a junction that where off on one side, a Hydro service road branched off and on the other, a road led off to a river. It was a nice opening that afforded both cover and feed so I dropped the digi caller next to a small bush and set up my decoy beside it. The 'best' place for me to park my ass was a little nest that would conceal me in the shadows about 60 yards from the call, with the wind quartering away from me and to the left. Perrrrfect.

So I settle in, take some ranges, glass all that there is to see in attempt to get acquired to my new surroundings, while sitting in a snowbank wearing only a shirt and a pair if waterproof pants. Love it!

Now feeling acquainted, I light up the Prey Master and sit, and sit, and sit. I jack the volume up and down, and I sit. I glass, glass and GLASS, then sit some more. Change up the music, then sit. After an hour of playing around I think it's time to walk in another klick and try out, Secret Spot #2.

So I drag my pack and rifle back to the road and go off and collect my call/decoy. As I'm getting that stuff together, something catches my eye ~20 yds out and in the treeline... It's a bloody Bobcat! Its just sitting there, looking straight back at me!!! and my (bleeeep) rifle,,,, is back "over there"!!! Talk about excitement and disappointment all rolled into a millisecond.

Oh well, couple lessons learned;

- Never forget your sling.
- And if you do, always carry your firearm - ALWAYS!
- Also (very important), read the regulations before going out - Even if you *think* you know them.

As it turned out, Bobcat season closed last Sunday. I wasn't aware of this little fact and if I was toting my rifle, that lil 'buggar woulda been turned into a carpet - Without a doubt and all would have been done with a copy sitting on the dashboard.

Nevertheless, a wonderful day spent in the field.
Sign me up for the 'Stupid Award', I truly deserve it.

PS. Did two other short stands with no luck. :sad:

SteadyGirl
02-19-2009, 06:15 AM
Always read the regs first, my rifle is either in my hands or in my scaboard, or beside me in the alpine lazyboy:mrgreen:

BiG Boar
02-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Wow thats crazy that you actually called one in to see. Luck was on your side though this time! How did you find out the difference in the regs?

Angel
02-19-2009, 08:03 AM
lol well atleast you didnt shoot it. theres a not so nice award for doing that :lol:. Atleast it was a fun day out in the bush.

Mr. Dean
02-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow thats crazy that you actually called one in to see. Luck was on your side though this time! How did you find out the difference in the regs?

On the way home I dropped in and had a visit with Mainland Hunter (Ray Weins Taxi). While there I met up with Barracuda (a local hound runner).... Feeling pretty good about calling in that cat, I shared the tale and 'Cuda was nice enough to bring it to my attention.

Sure enough, after getting my copy of the reg's off the dash (literally), near all of BC that has a season, is closed for hunting them. :redface:

BigBanger
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice morning for sure .

Barracuda
02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Im convinced the cats can read the regs :wink: .

Very impressive that you have called in a Bobcat .

So now it give you more fuel for the fire as you have gone from Plausible to confirmed . (yes i watch mythbusters LOL:roll:)

awsome job!

Mr. Dean
02-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Stupid mistakes.

'Cuda just brought me some MORE attention to this matter. I posted some real baffling stuff about seasons and was completely wrong. Karma is STILL on my side. :lol:

Elkhound
02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Well Dean....I am glad you called me last night because you had me rolling on the floor with laughter that your rifle was not in your hands....truly a pick me up for the middle of the week. However.....good thing eh bud. Otherwise you would have a nice litle fine by now. Ouch. But what a gorgeous day to sit in the snow yesterday...I am jealous.

Mr. Dean
02-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Well Dean....I am glad you called me last night because you had me rolling on the floor with laughter that your rifle was not in your hands....truly a pick me up for the middle of the week. However.....good thing eh bud. Otherwise you would have a nice litle fine by now. Ouch. But what a gorgeous day to sit in the snow yesterday...I am jealous.

Even better; Good thing that you couldn't tag along for this one.

- You wouldn't have forgotten your sling and woulda likely walked back to the call with me..... It would have been yours for the taking and I would have been screaming at ya; SHOOT IT!

Karma's on your side too. :wink:

I gotta say, I really put in effort trying to bring him out again. My 2nd set was done in an adjacent gravel pit that he seemed to be headed for. :roll:

goatdancer
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Would have just been another Lower Mainland drive by shooting..........
Maybe gang related.....