PDA

View Full Version : 7-27 Moose Hunt

codykarey
02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Dear Panel,

I was wondering whether you guys could give me a little advice. My old man is chomping at the bit to do a hunt/fishing trip this september on Takla lake. I was wondering if any of you guys have ever hunted moose in MU 7-27. If so, how did you fair? Considering it'll have to be an LEH hunt, I'll have to apply for one of 2 areas (7-26 or 7-27) to accomodate for my dad's desire to do some late season fishing on Takla lake. From the arial photos I've seen, it looks like there are some pretty good cut-blocks just off the north west arm of Takla lake...however, 7-26 seems to be a more popular area, and slightly more "Moosy" looking topography wise.

Any advice?

CHEERS!

moosinaround
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Well Codykarey, I would head up there in the prime rut. I would take some good hiking boots, an ATV, and a power saw. Get off the beaten path, find the swamps on the photos, and head on in. Call in the mornings, and evenings, and watch your scent. 10 days in an area should produce some bull encounters! Now if you have a LEH so much the better. Time in the bush hunting increases your odds, not in the truck, but in the bush! Late mornings and early afternoons were created to fish for the big rainbows and lakers in Takla! There is lots of hunting pressure up there, but the moose are around, its the sub boreal forest, moose are everywhere, seriously! Good luck, practice your moosinese, and have fun enjoying that beautiful country! Moosinaround

GoatGuy
02-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Sorry about the hijack on the last one.

Without giving away any secret spots *if* I were to hunt 7-27 I'd head North of Takla. There's some good country. The farther you get away from Takla the better the hunting gets. The immediate area around Takla sees a lot of pressure throughout the year.

Good luck.

7mag700
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Well Codykarey, I would head up there in the prime rut. I would take some good hiking boots, an ATV, and a power saw. Get off the beaten path, find the swamps on the photos, and head on in. Call in the mornings, and evenings, and watch your scent. 10 days in an area should produce some bull encounters! Now if you have a LEH so much the better. Time in the bush hunting increases your odds, not in the truck, but in the bush! Late mornings and early afternoons were created to fish for the big rainbows and lakers in Takla! There is lots of hunting pressure up there, but the moose are around, its the sub boreal forest, moose are everywhere, seriously! Good luck, practice your moosinese, and have fun enjoying that beautiful country! Moosinaround

Now THAT is a good advise post!

Moosinese - the language of moosiness :D

7m7

7m7

Sitkaspruce
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
If you want to hunt and fish, then stick to the lower region of Takla Lk. Some amazing rainbow fishing in the narrows and up the NW arm. For moose, Dust creek and the back end of the 900 rd has lots of moose. Also the area between Babine and Takla is a great place to hunt, as access is restricted some what by gates and the barge.

PM me for more info, 7-27 is my old stomping grounds for moose and Takla is one of my fav "big" lake fisheries.

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
02-18-2009, 11:24 PM
If you want to hunt and fish, then stick to the lower region of Takla Lk. Some amazing rainbow fishing in the narrows and up the NW arm. For moose, Dust creek and the back end of the 900 rd has lots of moose. Also the area between Babine and Takla is a great place to hunt, as access is restricted some what by gates and the barge.

PM me for more info, 7-27 is my old stomping grounds for moose and Takla is one of my fav "big" lake fisheries.

Cheers

SS

Figured you'd chime in. Didn't want to give away any secret spots. ;-)

porcupine
02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I've hunted there in the past with my buddies. Last year we had 3 tags and hunted hard for 13 1/2 days and only got one moose, on the last evening no less. The previous year we had two tags and only filled one in 14 days hunting. The number of hunters west of Talka has greatly increased, that may be why success is down. We've fished many of the smaller lakes but they have not been anything to write home about. Don't know much about the east side of Takla, though, the hunters I know who hunted there did get their moose.
________
wiki vaporizer (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

moosinaround
02-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Now THAT is a good advise post!

Moosinese - the language of moosiness :D

7m7

7m7
Moosinaround has been known to talk to a few!lol