PDA

View Full Version : Do you/would you shoot the first 6 pt bull elk?

GoatGuy
02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Curious, of course.

Applies to the 6 pt bull seasons.

The results are anonymous so nobody feels pressured.

Kody94
02-18-2009, 09:43 PM
This year....probably. Been a long time since I cut a tag, and now that the freezer is getting empty (bison is almost gone...)....am hankerin' for some elk meat.

I say probably though because I have reached an age where I often look at a small legal animal and talk myself out of it for any number of reasons...too much work to pack it out, don't want to stop hunting yet, yadda yadda.

Final answer is...more probably than not in 2009. So the only choice that fits for me is #3, even though most of the time (when meat was plentiful from the ranch) I have been a #4.

TIKA 300
02-18-2009, 09:44 PM
BANG !!!!!! SKIN and barbecue..... Mmmmmm

GoatGuy
02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
This year....probably. Been a long time since I cut a tag, and now that the freezer is getting empty (bison is almost gone...)....am hankerin' for some elk meat.

I say probably though because I have reached an age where I often look at a small legal animal and talk myself out of it for any number of reasons...too much work to pack it out, don't want to stop hunting yet, yadda yadda.

Final answer is...more probably than not in 2009.

Soooooooooooo, I should add more to the poll??????????

Disregard, doesn't look like a can.

Have to go with it for now.

Ron.C
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I've never shot a big bull " 6 point" yet, but I have taken archery spike, cow, and calf. Damn right I'll shoot the first 6 point I see that gives me a shot, without giving it a second thought.

Kody94
02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Soooooooooooo, I should add more to the poll??????????

Disregard, doesn't look like a can.

Have to go with it for now.

I went with #3 for this year. :) We'll see what actually happens. ;)

I have been eating some elk lately that was given to me by a buddy....its very convincing that I should be less selective. Had started to forget how good it is...

moosinaround
02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Elk tastes too good to pass up a legal 6 pointer! That is some fine table fair, and first side with 6 on it and bang flop!! Moosin

Will
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't hunt elk but I'd shoot the first 6 pt
Never hunted them.........suppose if I ever do, I'd take the 1st Legal Bull I saw.

Krico
02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
No question. 6 points I'm gettin the lead out.

I can't see this changing after I get my first one either.

Gateholio
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I would, but I'm not an experienced elk hunter.

Also, by the time hunting season rolls around this year, the freezer will be mostly devoid of the deer, moose and farm raised lamb and beef in there now.:cool:

I won't shoot the first black bear I see, nor will I shoot the first blacktail or mulie deer.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Curious, of course.

Applies to the 6 pt bull seasons.

The results are anonymous so nobody feels pressured.

As opposed to the 3 pt LEH seasons;).

1-2-3-4-4-5-6 BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSS

jml11
02-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I've shot one 6 point but the area I was hunting was open for 3 point or better bulls and cows. I did pass up smaller bulls and many cows to get that sixer, but there is no category for that...having said that, I would probably shoot any 6 point bull I came across if they were the only size/sex open.

mcrae
02-18-2009, 10:36 PM
When I had my LEH in 4-16 I passed a few bulls up before settling on the 6 point I shot. I still had my hunt over in two days so I really wasn't that picky LOL...

In a general open season I would not pass a legal 6 point bull up waiting for a bigger bull. I am however more of an opportunistic elk hunter and by no means hardcore about elk...

BlacktailStalker
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
In our camp the first 6 gets dumped, meat for everyone, then everyone co-ordinates efforts and trophy scouts/hunts for the guys left with tags.

Fisher-Dude
02-18-2009, 11:27 PM
If that 6th is an inch, it's goin' down. The book bull I shot was the first 6 point I saw that season, as I certainly didn't hold out for a big one.

Oddly enough, in all the years I hunted 3 point seasons, I only ever shot one raghorn 4x5, the rest were all legal 6 points...but only because they were the first legal bulls to offer a shot. Now that I have to find a 6er, those shots seem few and far between. :neutral:

BCrams
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
In a 6 pt season....first 6 pt bull I see is going down.

This poll likely shows the mindset of many hunters who will shoot the first 6 pt they see ..... will also harvest a 3 or 4 or 5 pt bull in a 3 pt season without hesitation!

In a 3 pt season, I won't hesitate to shoot a 3 pt bull elk, but if a 6 pt comes along first, I'll shoot him.

ibehuntin
02-19-2009, 12:15 AM
I've let a few smaller 6's walk due to the fact that the freezer is full of moose. But if there is room in the freezer I'll take the first one I see, no question.

rocksteady
02-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Can't eat the antlers (Well maybe you can but I don't)....They are just a bonus, on top of putting 300-400 pounds of good grits in the freezer.....

If its a 6, its DONE>>>No hesitation whatsoever....

frenchbar
02-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Never hunted Elk ,and getting up there in age probably wont Elk hunt much in the future ,but if i do ,i will hammer the first legal bull i see:biggrin:

J_T
02-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Just to be clear. While I voted that I shoot the first 6 I see. I shoot the first legal animal that presents a shot to me. Cow, calf, spiker...

elkdom
02-19-2009, 07:58 AM
some years I shoot a 6 point the first day of season, there's been years I shot a 6 point the last day of the season, I hunt elk because its my passion, some years I manage to find a 7 pointer, I never had a shot at a 8x8 yet, but if I ever do , then he will topple just as quick as my first ever 6X!, some years I play for weeks bugling bulls, passing up bulls, just working them for the fun of it, other times it is over the morning of opening day, all depends on my schedule, mood, how the season looks for that fall, 28 years pushing elk hard, 21 bull elk 6X or better bulls so far on my antler wall, and I dont plan on stopping for a while yet, it is all about personal choice and how much you are willing to work for something,,

sawmill
02-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Hunting elk is not a passion to me,it is all about the freezer.horns are a bonus,meat is the paycheck.8-)

Mik
02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I have yet to see a legal 6 pt bull elk during GOS, the minute I do, WHAM!! with no hesitation.

rishu_pepper
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Haven't hunted elk before but I would put the hammer down on any legal elk if I get to hunt them (next season perhaps?), let alone a 6pt! :D

All this talk about how great elk meat is has just been piquing my interest every day... :biggrin:

budismyhorse
02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
If my hunting crew has one in the can already....I get choosey, but until then, the first 6 gets whacked. We've taken 3-6x5's in the past few years and are happy to do it.

I've talked about this with several other hunters....if and when 3pt season is evoked, the first one gets killed then likely just a larger elk, or just look strictly for sheep/deer. We don't need a tonne of meat, and an elk between 2 or 3 guys (supplemented by an easy Whitey each) and its horn hunting time. You will not see myself or the partners I hunt with stack up 3pts like cordwood.

Jetboater
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
in our group I am typically the last shooter just because I am looking for a bigger bull... my wife passed up the first legal six she had ever seen just because she didnt think it was what she wanted as her first bull....she wanted a decent six to be proud of....I could easily buy a cow for a fraction of what it costs to go elk hunting so for me its all about the hunt... I passed on a handful of bulls last year only to leave my tag un cut...it was the best year of elk hunting I have ever had.... this question holds true for a lot of deer hunters as well...If you dont get choosy you will never kill a big bull unless it is all pure luck....

Frango
02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm one of those passion guys. 3 years ago my partner and I passed on a small 6x6 knowing that there was a bigger one around.Two weeks later we went home with nothing.Was it a mistake ? we thought not.

elkhunter1
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=147617522&mid=AOIwvs4AAMDDSZ29pAFDGUvYFiU&partid=2&f=527&fid=Inbox

elkhunter1
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
http://thumbp2.mail.re4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=147617522&mid=AOIwvs4AAMDDSZ29pAFDGUvYFiU&partid=2&f=527&fid=Inbox

Yes Would drop First 6 in Cranny.
Shot 6x7 but did not know he was a 7
As he was running straight at me.

GoatGuy
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Very interesting.

whitetailsheds
02-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Shop around if there's still meat in the freezer from last year.

Caveman
02-20-2009, 11:51 AM
I've never taken a 6 point, but I did take a 4 last year in the Peace region, but, yes the first 6 point at this time would be fine

MichelD
02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Six?

I had a Vancouver Island any bull elk LEH permit once and tried to shoot the first spiker I saw , but he was nervous and got away.

Seeadler
02-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd absolutely shoot the first 6 point bull seen. Then with the freezer full, I'd look for a big muley.

sparkes3
02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
boom its going home

The MAN
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I think this thread is asking a silly question....boom!:razz:

tuffteddyb
02-20-2009, 07:29 PM
yup would shoot 1st 6 pt i seen.
never hunted elk ............yet!
next year.
so 1st legal one definatley gonna bite the dirt.
get my first one then the years after try for bigger ones.
unless i get a cow draw of course!

jasper
02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes and in a heartbeat

one-shot-wonder
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Got a bugle for Christmas this year and I am excited to give elk my first real try.
First legal bull is going down!

Ambush
02-23-2009, 04:09 PM
This amazes me. All these hunters and only 14 BS'ers so far!!;)

This year will be my third elk tag and second year actualy trying to kill one.

I will stick an arrow in the first legal elk I see, never mind a six point.

budismyhorse
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
The big distiction in my books is what constitutes a "pass".

to some, getting to within killing range, waiting for a good shot and then passing.....is a pass.

To some....and I would imagine, the majority (not talking about fellas on this site, but dudes I listen to during the season) call a pass :

Stopped the truck on given FSR....pulled out binos...glass herd of elk up high. Attached spotting scope to window. Determine that it could be a 6 pt. See that it is raining......look at watch.....after brief chat to partner, determine that there "aint enough time to git er done". Roll up window and drive on.........proceed to tell everyone you know that you in fact "passed up a nice 6 back there a ways"

Not sure how many of the 14 would actually pass on a 6 within range, but I'm sure a few would.