PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your rifle/gun?

bruin
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Another thread got me wondering how guys pack their weapons while hunting? I have seen some unique ones, what do you find the most comfortable? Are you using a harness for your pack, good old sling? Stuffed down inside your pack? What?
I usually carry mine in my hands which can be tiresome but it is quick to action. A new one I will be trying is attaching a caribeaner(?) to the sling attachment and hooking it to my shoulder strap.

mark
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
In my hands always!!! No strap on my gun!

Maxx
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
On a backpack hunt, I use the Kifaru rifle holder, leaves my hands free for more important things...

hunter1993ap
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
i am the same as mark my gun is always in my hands. You never know when the big one is going to step out and just give you enough time to lift your gun and shoot. if your gun is slung on your back or however else you cary it it could get cought on something and slow you way down on shooting.

wolverine
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Yup, in my hands always. The only reason the sling is on my gun is to steady it up for an off hand shot, if I have to take one.

kennyg826
02-17-2009, 11:19 PM
I constantly change my carries. However if I am walking the timber, I always have it my hands, always.

Steeleco
02-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Like this, the rifle is always there when I need and never get's heavy. It's as easy as the clip shows.

http://redi-mag.com/Shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=11

mpotzold
02-18-2009, 01:46 AM
[quote=bruin;412869]I usually carry mine in my hands

Same here! Use a sling only when walking to or from a hunting area.

mark
02-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Wow, the remarks from others surprise me, every hunter I see has their gun slung over the shoulder. I find if you have a sling on the gun you will tend to use it, laziness usually prevails!

Gateholio
02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
On a backpack hunt, I use the Kifaru rifle holder, leaves my hands free for more important things...

x2

If I use a sling it's the Butler Creek neoprene one with the shell holders. I like to pick up the rifle and have 4 rounds of ammo available to stuff into it. Shell loops are empty when actualy hunting.

I'll sling it on shoulder or carry it in my hands, depending on the circumstances. I usually take the sling off when hunting in timber.

bigwhiteys
02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
When backpack hunting I strap my gun to my pack so my hands are free to climb, glass, etc... If I am day-hike hunting timber then I usually carry it in my hands. If I am road hunting then the gun stays right between my seat and the center console with my clip in the cup holder for fast and easy access :)

Carl

Rob
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Im trying to come up with a way to attach mine to my 70 liter internal frame pack. I would like to use hiking poles to hike into my high country area, Im not to concerned about spooking anything on the way in to the spot, but I like having my hands free-(Any Ideas Please Let Me Know:lol:). If im hiking in normal country I carry my gun without using the sling.

elkdom
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I have a "Group" of willing "PIGMEES" to carry my guns, they work for almost no pay, long hours, and if they get outa line or scratch my gun, I feed them to the "CROCKS", most of the time they call me " BWANNAH" :cool:

Ron.C
02-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I mostly bowhunt and tried one of those primos bow slings. Didn't care for it. I found it is just easier to carry it in hand all the time.

Last fall when carrying my gun, I'd say I was 70/30 with the gun being in the hand, to slung over the shoulder. I can definitely see the advantage of always having your gun at the ready, but honestly don't think many guys hand carry a gun at the ready all day long. Besides, there are alot of times when I need both hands when going down a steep area, or somewhere very brush choked, or when I stop to glass. It's good to have options when it comes to which way is best to carry your gun given different situations.

Gateholio
02-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Im trying to come up with a way to attach mine to my 70 liter internal frame pack. I would like to use hiking poles to hike into my high country area, Im not to concerned about spooking anything on the way in to the spot, but I like having my hands free-(Any Ideas Please Let Me Know:lol:). If im hiking in normal country I carry my gun without using the sling.

http://www.kifaru.net/GUNBEAR.HTM

BigBanger
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I use an old leather sling . I keep it real long and have my rifle behind my back when walking into my spots . When I'm hunting in the timber its in my hands most of the time .

Rob
02-18-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.kifaru.net/GUNBEAR.HTM

I saw this one, looks interesting, did a bit of research on it, Alaska forums, seems main complaint is the rifle barrel being in your face can get a little annoying. Hey Youngfella, did you have a loop on both shoulder straps? just trying to visualize it. Seems like a good idea. Rob

Gateholio
02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I saw this one, looks interesting, did a bit of research on it, Alaska forums, seems main complaint is the rifle barrel being in your face can get a little annoying. Hey Youngfella, did you have a loop on both shoulder straps? just trying to visualize it. Seems like a good idea. Rob

You get used to it, I actually didn't notice it after awhile. It's also a great combo for a day pack/hand use. Carry the rifle in your hands and if you need to climb over obstacle or something, sit it in the gunbearer and your hands are free, but you don't need to have a sling attached all day.

Orangethunder
02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I like to carry it whenever I am in the timber but I keep a sling on so I can shoulder it to glass, that helps me keep it out of the snow and junk. When I am backpacking in the mountains I like to carry it also. There I use a bipod so I can easily set it down to glass, eat, etc.

Rob
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Rob-

I have it stitched on the r/side strap only. I thought about using a loop that was removeable so I could switch shoulders if needs be, but I decided to have it stitched in permanent so I wouldn't lose it.

Sounds like a good idea. Any pics? Rob

goatdancer
02-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Like this, the rifle is always there when I need and never get's heavy. It's as easy as the clip shows.

Best system I ever found. Gun is always ready and your arms and fingers don't get tired packing.

todbartell
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
for the past few years Ive been using an Uncle Mikes 'mountain' sling, basically a 1.25" wide nylon strap with the quick detach swivels sewn in. no stretch, no shell loops, just a simple strap

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Dec4_05_004.jpg

Camp Cook
02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't own any weapons so can't comment on your question but when I carry rifles I prefer the Butler Creek neoprene sling without the bullet loops.

When backpacking in and I don't need my rifle in my hands I slip the butt of the rifle into a side pocket on the bottom/side of my backpacks and hold them in place with the side straps on the pack.

500grhollowpoint
02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
In my glove compartment or down the front of my pants, gangster style. J/K I use a sling on my rifles but usually carry them in my hands when hiking

jeeper
02-18-2009, 05:00 PM

I have been using that sling as well for a long time ! I love it ! The guns always in front , I even use it as a rest for my hands sometimes , The only drawback is extra precaution has to be used when walking with someone , Ie: always watching barrel direction , and never having a round chambered. The sling will aow you to have the barrel face the ground , you just have to make sure you always do when walking with a partner !

Bruce

waistdeep
02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
scabboard for the most part or sling for a long walk, but in my hands for the woods

BlacktailStalker
02-18-2009, 06:37 PM
During hunting for blacktails, I always carry it while hiking.
Often on pack ins, in my Eberlestock J104 (where the lever action stays while hunting with hounds)
On my sheep hunt I used my kifaru longhunter pack and it spent a lot of time in the gun sling system they have, only downside to that was when climbing the stock often clipped the rocks (laminate thankfully)

The Hermit
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Bowhunting the bow is in my hands, and when in Griz country the gun is in my pack on the way in to the stand. I know, I know if it is in my pack it is useless... my thinking is that WHEN I arrow that 6 point elk the gun comes out and is in my hands while tracking, and real close by while field dressing and quartering the elk, and in my hands while packing out the meat.

Gun is in the rack on the front of the quad or on the seat beside me while road hunting, or slung over my shoulder on a hike, and in my hands while still hunting. I sure wish we could holster a big bore handgun for safety and dispatch! :-)

Cole
02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I have Uncle Mikes quick detach sling swivels on ALL of my guns. I use a sling to get to where I'm going to hunt and then I take the sling off and put it in my pack. I tend to hunt in the thick stuff more now than in the past and a sling just gets in the way. I also carry a walking staff made by Shooter's Ridge that has a pop up rifle rest in the handle. Super handy and steady to boot.

bc sportsman
02-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Like Steeleco, I used to use the safari sling but due to requests of my hunting buddies, now use a regular over the shoulder sling.

Using the safari sling, the gun is pointed to one side and up rather than straight up or down to the ground. Guys were a bit nervous.

I respect how they felt so I changed. But I really liked it. eAsy to use binos and to rest your hands on the stock while walking but always ready to come up.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
safari sling for me they are great use one on the rifle walking or riding the quad also use a safari sling for the bow too they are both a bit awkward on a bicycle though have to tighten them up or else they are in the handelbars alot but they adjust very quickley they are not for everyone and you definatly have to respect your fellow hunters i hunt alone so for me they are great doesnt matter weather you have a pack on heavy coat or just a light jacket

spreerider
02-22-2009, 12:35 AM
I either have a sling on my .308 as its large and heavy or i carry all my other guns in my hands at the ready

BCRiverBoater
02-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Safari sling...I would never hunt with anyone using it unless they were in front of me at all times. I have been teaching my kids (5, 3 and 5 months) already on respecting firearms. I do not let them point a play gun at anyone for any reason. The safari sling goes against this very simple and basic rule if the person using it is following anyone.
Shell in the chamber or not, you better not ever point a gun at me or it will be the last time I ever hunt with you. I have voiced this to more than person while on a hunting or hiking trip. Nothing like looking up and seeing a rifle pointed at your face or head.

gilbert
02-22-2009, 06:55 AM
in my hand only i once lots a 7 point elk carring my gun on my sholder in thick timber my scope got move when i got to my cut block call my elk in i shot tree time no hit only to fine out someone else shot it i have 30 + years of traping and hunting under my belt so rember it's not a perfect world

mark
02-22-2009, 08:26 AM
in my hand only i once lots a 7 point elk carring my gun on my sholder in thick timber my scope got move when i got to my cut block call my elk in i shot tree time no hit only to fine out someone else shot it i have 30 + years of traping and hunting under my belt so rember it's not a perfect world

You failed english class I bet!
Any votes for sentence of the year???? :lol:

dutchie
02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
WOW! of all the poeple I have seen in the feild, it is very suprising to me that most HBC members carry gun in hand. I have never seen anyone in the feild other then one of my really good friends went we were pushing bush

I use a sling.. nothing special just a neoprean sling. when i get that Spidey sence, it is shouldered with barrel pointing to the ground.

I hate putting my loaded gun in the snow, on the dirt, in the ground or even leaning the barrel into my stomach, for this reason I use the sling.

dutchie

My scope is too long for the Safari Sling. The scope long