PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine pics

BCBear
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Interesting wolverine pics from a friend in Idaho. I am told the wolverine was trapped in error and the Dept of Fish and Game were called out and tranquilized it then collared it before releasing it. Pretty cool close ups of a hard to find animal. Doesn't seem like much of its paw was trapped, so much for the stories of them biting off a limb to escape...maybe only Canadian wolverines do that 8-).
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/w3.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12927&size=big&cat=500)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/w2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12926&size=big&cat=500)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/w1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12925&size=big&cat=500)

wolverine
02-17-2009, 09:17 PM
The links appear to be broken but.... you're going to meet one on Saturday anyway. :eek:

BCBear
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
try that Don...
BTW I got the shotty

wolverine
02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Cool pics. Glad to hear that you got your shotty. So... here's a wolverine story for you.

My best friends brother was out hunting a few years ago by his place at Carpenter Lake. It got cold over night and there was fresh snow so he thought it would be a great time to get out. He and the wife got into the truck and headed out. Now he normally will hunt with a bow but he has arthritis in his hands quite badlyfrom working on the green chain for a lot of years and with the cold he thought better of taking his bow and opted for his rifle instead. He still kept his custom bowie knife on him which he used to hang down the back of his shoulders. He spotted some tracks and jumped out to check it out. I guess they looked fresh enough that he told the wife he was going to go see where they went. So off he goes, intently following the track. He doesn't go too far and he hears a snap and looks up and he's looking right into the stare of a Wolverine. It didn't waste any time and launched at him. As he instinctively tried to back up he fell backwards over a blow down and the Wolverine was on top of him. He always wore a wool bush jacket, you know the red ones, and he said all he could see was this thing snarling and growling on top of him and it ripping into his belly, red wool flying everywhere. When he fell backwards his gun went flying too so he had nothing. As the story was told to me by his brother, he said everything seemed to slow down and he could remember hearing a distictive metalic "clinck" every time the Wolverine tried to bite down into him. It was then he remembered the knife that was down his back. Now I've handled that knife and I'm hear to tell you it's something Crocodile Dundee would have been jealous of. Long heavy and always like a razor. So he reaches down his back and draws this thing out. I guess the Wolverine saw the movement and spun to face him just as he brought down the blade onto it's face. I'm told it let out a scream and spun off into the snow blood gushing from the facial wound and then buggered off into the bush. Well, I guess it took a few seconds for him to collect himself and he got to his feet, and started checking for damage, expecting to find his inards spilling out. To his amazement he didn't seem to be injured but his bush coat was torn to hell. He hustled back to the truck and after telling the wife what the hell just happened they had a closer look. He always wore a big oval cowboy belt buckle the size of a satellite dish. That's what the clinking noise was. The sound of claws and teeth getting through the wool but being stopped by the buckle. The buckle has the dings and scratches in it to prove it. The Wolverine likely didn't fare as well. I know it sounds like a real story but I know this guy, I have hunted with this guy and he's not a bullshitter. This guy spends more time in the bush than I do in the office. :eek:

ape
02-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I was on my way to work on Sunday afternoon driving along the cut banks here in PG looking for the deer that have been feeding on the hill side for the last few weeks when I see something lopeing along near the top on an angle down towards a tree. I speed up a little to see if could catch a glimpse of what it was. I pull over along the river with the tree about 100-120 yrds above me. I see what it was that caught my eye. It was a wolverine I thought no way not here right in town almost. It did a circle under the tree and laid down in the sun for a rest I guess. Straining my eyes for a better look I remember my daughters little compact binos in the arm restso in to the truck I go and pull them out. Very much to my surprise there is a wolverine laying there under the tree to have a nap. I have seen them before but that was way out in the deep timber and once along a lake but now almost in down town PG. Who'd thunk.

wolverine
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm like most guys, I have never seen one in the wild only photos or video but considering what they're capable of and the bad attitude they seem to sport, that's okay by me. I've heard stories about them coming into a hunting camp and just making one hell of a mess of everything. Apparently they mark (reads: piss) on everything so nothing else can have it, even if they don't want it.

RiverOtter
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Great pics....

I've been lucky enough to see one wolverine in the wild and he/she definately lived up to the hype, concerning temperment. I could hear it growling and snorting, long before it broke cover, and it never missed a beat until it disappeared from view, still unaware of my presence. Have seen the occasional track over the years, but still only the one siting.

Doesn't seem like much of its paw was trapped, so much for the stories of them biting off a limb to escape...maybe only Canadian wolverines do that :cool:.

Actually, there is truth to certain animals chewing on their feet while in a foot hold trap. The chewing is not done as a means of escape, per se, but rather due to the foot losing feeling below the jaws of the trap. Racoons are fairly notorious for the practice.

02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Good thing some of those Cowboy Belt Buckles are the size of Ford F250 hubcaps or the Critter might have been eating Sausages, cool story and some great pic's. Thanks
CT

ve7iuq
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Here is the way they should be.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q65/H4831/W1002.jpg

SteadyGirl
02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
poor thing will prolly die of shock,.. leg hold traps are pathetic:D nice of the co to wear gloves too:roll:

Buckmeister
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
We rented/house-sat a friends place for a whole year while they were away in Russia. The place was about 5 mins from town and had a great view of the valley. They own around 100 acres, mostly in hay and some trees. There is a small pond at the center of the property. They also have a barn and several out buildings. There was always deer in the fields at night, a black bear hung around the pond and fruit trees, and twice I came within 10 feet of a resident skunk.
I often would go up to the picture window to look at the view of the valley. When looking out the window once, I was surprised to see a LARGE wolverine crossing the property. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was. A first I thought I was looking at a german shepherd with really short legs and a long bushy tail with a real funny walk. It was about 40 yards away from the house and was heading past the old barns. It wasn't wasting any time and seemed to be in a big hury. I watched it as it went past the barns, up through a field and dissappeared into the trees about 300+ yards away. Quite a sight!

Buckmeister
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
so much for the stories of them biting off a limb to escape...maybe only Canadian wolverines do that 8-).

Here's an old joke:

Did ya here the one about the blonde coyote? It got caught in a leg trap, and after chewing 3 of it's legs off it was still stuck!

pro 111
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
well put!!!

Big Lew
02-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Fabulous story! I'll bet his adreniline was gushing big time! A great tale to tell around the campfire at night, you bet!
I've travelled in the mountians and backwoods of British Columbia all my life and only chanced upon two wolverines, one was in the headwaters of Stave river, loping along the gravel bars just ahead of me, and the other was south of Fort Nelson standing in the middle of the Alaskan hwy. as I came up on it while riding my bicycle. (rode up on two different wolves as well while riding down that hwy., I suppose because bicycles make no noise) Both wolverines showed no aggression at all, probably because they had no food cache to protect at the time, which could be the reason that fellow was attacked.

Bowtime
02-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Is it rare for the wolverine to have a white paw? I saw another pic tonight of a white pawwed wolverine that a friend of mine trapped. He wasn't sure if it was rare or not either.