PDA

View Full Version : Survival -Don't take for granted!

Buckmeister
02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
A question for you all. If your out hunting or enjoying the great outdoors, do you go prepared for a possible survival situation? If you had to spend the night, or several nights in the bush, would you be able to survive?

My buddies Father-in-law recently had a snowmobiling upset and had to spend most of the night alone in the bush. He tried using branches to sleep on and under but ended up just walking around in order to stay warm. He said he would not have been able to survive a whole 24 hours.

Here are a few tips for survival I learned when going through c.o.r.e.

- when going anywhere, tell someone where your going and how long you will be gone for, and notify them when your back
- when going out, try not to go alone
- carry a water container with water in it
- carry some nutrient bars for food
- if possible, carry a first aid kit and survival blanket
- at the very least, carry a fanny pack that contains objects that help you start a fire, such as: water proof matches stored in film container, lighter, cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly (good fire starter)
- carry a cell phone, but DON'T RELY on it!
- if your matches do get wet, stick them in your hair to dry out (this really works, i've done it myself but it takes a little time)
- having a fire is extremely important for survival for several reasons: it gives you warmth, light, protection, a sense of security and wellbeing, it can be used as a beacon
- carry a compass and know how to use it, and do use it in unfamiliar areas
- carry a gps unit with extra batteries
- another good fire starter is the sap saturated roots of a pine tree that has been dead for several years. Go find some of these roots now and put them in your survival kit so they are handy if you ever need to use them.

A survival kit doesn't need to be very big and can be as small as a fanny pack carried around your waist. These are just a few tips. What other tips can you folks add?

Will
02-17-2009, 08:59 PM
These are just a few tips. What other tips can you folks add?
Some good things for sure....although I'd trade everything on that list for a Good knife:wink:

The only two things I ALWAYS carry when out and about hunting or even just a hike is a knife and a pack of waterproof matches.

Anything else is just for comfort :cool:

frenchbar
02-17-2009, 09:08 PM
lighters,compass,knife nice to pack a tarp or 6x6 peice of plastic,but i normally dont ,i always try and pack some teabags with me ,nice to have a hot drink if you have to rough it for a night,couple power bars always go with me also.

ROEBUCK
02-17-2009, 09:17 PM
never leave home without my pocket television, nothing better in a survival situation, than an hour long episode of canadian idol to keep your spirits up until the rescue party arrives!

Seabass
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
If i'm going hiking or exploring I'll take my hunting backpack. Its really my overnight bag with all sorts of crap in there I threw in it. I thought to myself when I made it up what I would need inorder to survive if lost (spending the night:p).

I'd have to go threw it but off the top of my noodle I have in it:

Tarp,
Rope,-50ft coil (surprisginly compact)
Knife(s)
Hatchet
Sharpening stone,
Flashlights 2, One is a self wind, no batteries, has a radio, cool.
Extra batterys,
Extra ammo (for defence or shooting animals to survive).
Lighters (butane), matches,
Firestarter (waterproof)
1st Aid kit
Survial blanket
Relective waterproof blanket
Dried food, (jerky/trail mix)
Electical tape
Flagging tape
Playboy, (Hey, you never know8-))

Just some of the things a guy might need!!:wink:

Cheers

Seabass

RiverOtter
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Have a dedicated fanny pack for such events.

Vaccuum sealed matches/fire starter + bic lighter
Knife, usually my Leatherman as well
Led head lamp with extra set of batteries
Small whistle
Foil emergency blanket (Great for mid day naps....grin)
Short length of rope
Duct tape, a few feet wrapped around a small pencil
Garbaged bag (Doubles as a rain coat in a pinch)
Touque and a pair of wool gloves
White flagging tape, very visible in dim light and stands out against green
Compass with sighting mirror

gone hunting
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
A couple of things I like to add... There's the obvious butt wipe. Then there's a metal cup with a lid. The lid is just the end of a large tin can, cut so he rim is still attached. I carry a couple packets of "cup a soup" and some film cannisters of cous cous to thicken it up. I carry a pocket stove with solid fuel tabs. Dry socks, large heavy duty garbage bag, head lamp, flash light, several lengths of light strong cord,fire sticks (they will get a fire going in a wind) bic lighters (at least 2), flint & steel, zip lock bag with drier lint for fire starter and a couple extra layers of clothing.
That is in my fanny pack. If I'm on my quad, I carry a lot more, for 2 reasons; 1- cuz I can and 2- cuz I can get stuck a lot further from a phone when I'm on my quad than I can on foot. Stuff like a tarp, axe, single burner stove, more water, freeze dried food.
If you want to or have to start a fire, use the dead lower branches from living trees. It's a lot drier than the stuff on the ground.

happygilmore
02-18-2009, 11:08 AM
got lost on my 13th birthday with my dad in November ended up spending the night and home knew where we were hunting it just snowed so hard our tracks were covered!. There is nothing like it, it makes you feal real small in a big pond, we had matches, hatchet, knife, safety blankets. We had to melt snow in bullet casings for a little sip of burnt powder/water probably biggest problem was melting water we tried candybar wraper, piece of safety blanket, nothing worked. My dad was starting to show signs of hypothermia I was scared sh!^less but looking back on it was a great experience, after that I stay calm when I get turned around whitch is less often because I pay attention to where I am more now. (I have a terrible internal compass)
When my son turns 13 I plan on going out and "getting lost" (mom will be in on it of course) and spend the night out in the bush with the bare minimum.

gone hunting
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
My son (18 at the time) and his buddy, spent a night in the bush last spring. They took only their day packs with the stuff they would have on a day long hunt. They were a little cold but managed.
The time that I was a little concerned, was when my son was about 15 and we were on a hunting trip near Chetwyn. The lad shot a moose shortly before dark. The critter dropped in a few feet of water and my son waded in to put a rope around the antlers so I could drag it out with the quad. The long and short of it is that he walked in with his cloths and boots on. We kept the quad running so we could use the head lights to gut, skin, quarter and hang the moose. By the time we were done, junior was more than a little cold. He was wearing my spare socks, long johns, down vest and anything else I had to give him. When it was time to head back to camp, I discovered that the quad was on empty. I didn't want to chance taking the less travelled short cut, in case we run out on the way so it was either set up for the night where we were or try for camp along one of the more active logging roads, which we did and made it back to camp on fumes.
We learned things that night. I learned to carry extra fuel and Jesse learned not to laugh at his dad when he strips down before going for a wade.

Legi0n
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
For some reason my survival kit takes about a third of my backpack space.
I wish I were better at packing things tight because it's hard for me to give up any of the items I once deemed "necessary".
Maybe a "survival kit in a can" could replace my home made one...

Ciskman
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I think one thing that gets overlooked for a survival kit is bright clothing/garbage bag whatever... Especialy for hunters who are all cammed up. Spotting from the sky is hard as it is but bright colors stand out like a sore thumb

scoot
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
For some reason my survival kit takes about a third of my backpack space.
I wish I were better at packing things tight because it's hard for me to give up any of the items I once deemed "necessary".
Maybe a "survival kit in a can" could replace my home made one...

All great ideas guys. I have, for different reasons, spent nights in the bush, soaked in water, sub zero temps or overnight with little gear. Fact of the matter is a person need to assess what they want to bring and what they need.
If you don't have enough clothing during a cold time of the year and you have to spend the night, you might be in for some trouble. Clothing and fire are crucial.
Are you going for half our hikes from the truck or 15 hour hikes off any trail.
In my opinon one cannot put a price on survival gear. You will want the gear to build some form of shelter and to have a fire. Number two, a person neeeeeeds to remain in a positive and confident state of mind.

Pete
02-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Practice is the key for survival. Take what you have in your survival kit and pick a day where it is pouring rain in a foot of snow in a gully or creek bed and practice with what you have brought with you. You will quickly find out what is usefull and necessary and what is extra weight or doesn't perform the way that you expected. Take that experience and modify your gear. Then go out and do it again. Eventually you will have a kit that is both functional and works for you. PEP...... Practice to gain Experience combined with proper Preparation Equals Survival.

Awishanew
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Along with the good ideas stated above I carry a blaze orange toque, and a bright orange garbage bag. I also have flourscent orange tape to lay out a path to my camping spot. It may help when you are were camo.

husky30-06
02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
quick pack for a "quick hike"........... things you need
WARMTH...... take a deck of cards(sm or big), if you play solitare time will pass very fast and it keeps your mind of off the situation. the cards in extreme conditions can be used as a fire starter. a small pill bottle with weather proof matches and stuff a dryer sheet into it to keep them from rattleing around. the dryer sheet can also be used for a fire starter.

SIGNAL DEVICE.... a big orange garbage bag, this can be used for a flag in a tree top. if you cut a hole in the bottom, and put it on as a rain coat but it will also help to keep your body heat in on cold nights. the noise of moving in it can deter animals from coming in for a closer look(more for kids and teens). a canning lid (for kids) or a mirror as a light deflection device for planes. a basic pealess whistle......

SHELTER...... A fly from an old "A" frame tent and some 1/4" cord. a small folding saw to cut tree bowes to sleep on and a folding knife.

FOOD..... Two foot length of tie wire and a two length of tin foil folded up. A candy bar that is solid (like an eatmore bar). a drink box of fruit drink(as they can be squished in a small fanny pack and will be tough to burst)

MORE TO COME........

Seabass
02-19-2009, 07:30 PM
If I get lost real bad I figue i'd just start a forest fire. Usually gets a response.8)

Cheers

Seabass

Roots
02-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Created my backpacking survival kit last weekend... similar to what this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvz1o9qkzDs) has... other than having a first aid kit, a compass, and a 6" Knife, this is what's in my pouch...surprisingly it doesn't take up that much space:

1 Firesteel
1 Bic Lighter
6 Cotton Balls soaked in Vaseline (in small zip lock baggie)
2 Long strips of bicycle inner tube (will keep lit even when it’s pouring rain)
1 Candle, 4” tall
1 Trioxane Fuel Bar (military style)
10 ft of Snare Wire
1 Signal Mirror
1 Whistle
1 Orange Garbage Bag
1 Glow Stick
1 Small Headlamp
1 Emergency Blanket
3 Large Zip-Lock Bags
Duct Tape, 6 feet
Small Sowing Kit
Super Glue
Para-cord, 50ft
6 Zip Ties
4 Safety pins
Extra Batteries
Iodine Tablets
Small fishing kit (2 hooks, line, sinker, small bobber)
2 Power Bars
5 Small Candies
1 Bag of Hot Chocolate
10’ x 10’ tarp
1 Small Swiss Army Knife
1 Laplander Folding Saw
1 Bandana

husky30-06
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
If I get lost real bad I figue i'd just start a forest fire. Usually gets a response.8)

Cheers

Seabass

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:HAHAHAHA interesting you should say that...... I was tasked to manage a search in the lower caribou years ago. We had a missing 78 year old male with demantia who was only going for a short walk to look ovder the lake near by. He disappeared for over 12 hours, we arrived first light and began our task. I had called in about 40 some searchers and the RCMP helicopter and after a very long day we began to look towards a negative out come. I called in a cessena as a communications platform to expand the search area and when he arrived he radioed that a forest fire appeared about two km from our location right in the middle of the search area and searchers. When forestry was called their ETA was long so a few guys on the search crews had fire fighting equipment and attended tothe location...... when they arrived, there standing haveing a smoke.....was the man we were looking for.:shock: the first thing he said was..."WASN'T ME"

so ya start a forest fire :biggrin:(small one with lots of smoke) and when forestry comes with a spotter plane flash him with the mirror. Just a suggestion.... start it in a open cut block so as to not start a "kelowna fire":oops::oops::eek:

Lone Ranger
02-20-2009, 03:33 AM
Oh most definitely! I always try my best to be prepared. I don't hike too much anymore but I'm constantly out in my 4x4 or on my quad, and both are extremely well setup for survival situations. My biggest problem with survival situations is that I like to travel alone a lot. I prefer being outdoors alone, so I quad and 4x4 alone. I carry a lot of recovery/survival gear but its two completely different situations when you're alone and prepared or with someone else who can help if you need it. The front box on my quad is loaded to the gills with gear including a tarp, and my pickup (short of suffering a rollover and it being crushed) is setup for at least a week at any given time - including when I'm commuting to and from work. I always try to let someone know where I am and I carry a SPOT unit, but they can only help so much I guess if you're alone and are hurt.

I must admit that I'm probably least prepared when hunting. When I leave camp I try to stay fairly close and within radio range so I can pack light. If I'm planning on heading farther than 1 km from camp I take the truck or the quad and work from it, and always with a buddy around in case we run into trouble. LR

Hotwheels81
02-20-2009, 06:15 AM
2 thing's i dont wander off without...
my firstaid kit with a few fire starting extras and my machete... i can build a 1 person shelter in an hour or less and gather alot of dry firewood... you need ATLEAST 12" of green bows covering you to keep warm in the spring/fall and the quickest way to get them is with a machete... very under rated tool by most survival types.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/DSCN0294.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/DSCN0338.jpg

Camp Cook
02-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I am always prepared with survival gear I am usually working/hunting solo so take every precaution I can.

I carry most of what has been said already except I haven't seen any one say they carry food or a stove.

I am never without my esbit stove http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/esbit_pocket_stove.html dried oatmeal/dried blueberries and tea bags I carry enough fuel cells and oatmeal to last me for 4 - 5 meals.

Having a hot tea always works wonders too warm you up.

Instead of a cup I now only carry a small light weight cooking pot and the bonus with the fuel cells is I never have a problem lighting a small fire just cut up a fuel cell and light...

GoatGuy
02-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Lighter, some handwarmers and a hamburger wrapper. Gets you through most nights.

Ciskman
02-20-2009, 07:43 AM
2 thing's i dont wander off without...
my firstaid kit with a few fire starting extras and my machete... i can build a 1 person shelter in an hour or less and gather alot of dry firewood... you need ATLEAST 12" of green bows covering you to keep warm in the spring/fall and the quickest way to get them is with a machete... very under rated tool by most survival types.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/DSCN0294.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/Hotwheels81/DSCN0338.jpg

And its great for defending youself against ninja attacks!:p

sneg
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
In addition to most mentioned items I carry extra ligth weight hammack. If I have to sleep in the bush I want to be above the ground,emergency blanket and plastic shelter will keep me dry and warm.
Also I have water purifying tablets.
Survival pack does not take much space and should be always with one while in the bush. I take it if going hiking,however I found that sometimes I tend to leave it behind when I think I going for short walk. Wrong! Last year I went to check some low laying area on other side of the creek,thinking it would be 1 hr walk. Yeah I always carry GPS,compass,ligther,flash ligths, whistle,water,knifes,but probably this time I should have carried some more.Well on other side was real bog and I need to circle quite a bit. 5 hrs later,wet and dehydrated ( I finish off my bottle of water quite quickly) returned to my truck ;thinking I was lucky it was day time, b/c I would not venture to find path in darkness around that place.

Spampy
02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Foodsaver works great to keep things like socks, touque and other stuff waterproof and compact. I'm trying to keep it basic. It is easy to get carried away.

Fallkniven
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
A copy of Lofty Wisemans 'SAS survival handbook', every modern survival handbook is based on it, but its the best.

BlacktailStalker
02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Also, if you have to think twice about whether you can "get up/down/in there" its not worth the risk, especially if you're alone.
A lot of trouble is the result of not thinking like that.

Hotwheels81
02-23-2009, 12:58 AM
And its great for defending youself against ninja attacks!:razz:

i have a cheapie tin macheti but its murder on the hands and wont hold an edge... thats a hanwei Banshee... its a forged carbon steel blade thats made to be used and used HARD... much like a good quality hunting knife except its 30"+ inches long.

also handy incase of ninja attack's... :D

Dukeoflawnchair
02-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Something that I once practiced using back in my scouting days was a 8x10 sheet of plastic, handful of safety pins, a decent length of hardy fishing line, and a survival blanket. Can definitely make a worthwhile reusable and mobile shelter with very little pack space taken up.

I'm sure this is a repeat of what many others have listed...but my typical hip bag back then had this line/plastic/blanket combination, swiss army knife, pocket first aid kit, wire saw, matches, fire starter (bbq brick variety, but I'm interested in trying this vaseline/cotton ball system), few old school power bars (back when they were bricks), iodine tablets, mini flashlight, whistle, hankderchief, and mirror. Now I'd add a flare pen w/ both bear bangers and air markers, but I remember not being allowed back then. I also had a pocket package of facial tissues in a ziplock bag. I know we can all tough it out and use leaves and sticks, but sometimes...

A water bottle and compass was always packed / carried elsewhere...

ALPINE
02-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Things that I always have in my pack.
-Firesteel
-tampon (its compact and it will light up fast with firesteel)same as cotton
-small forest axe
- stong space blanket\tarp
-50 ft para cord
-small firstaid kit
-small metal container\steel canteen for water on\off fire
-oxo cubes
-jello, makes nice hot drink
-sharp knife usally in sheath around my neck

Buckmeister
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
It's that time of the year again when we will be spending time in the outdoors....soooooo..... I thought I would resurrect this thread in hopes that it will inspire/remind folks to go over their survival packs and make sure nothing is missing......remember..even a short walk can wind up being a survival situation...a twisted ankle or broken bone can make a short walk a few day marthon....

GO PREPARED....I don't want to hear of anyone from here making this season their last one because they couldn't survive it!!!

squamishmiles
08-29-2009, 11:11 AM
good ideas on this thread, like the macheti idea, depending on how light it is

TheDuckinator
08-29-2009, 11:34 AM
A copy of Lofty Wisemans 'SAS survival handbook', every modern survival handbook is based on it, but its the best.

I got that at save-ons a couple years ago, EXCELLENT book

Wolfman
08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
But....the only real tool you need to have sharp and ready, is your mind:wink:.

If you know what to do in a survival situation and are able to remain calm, you have already got half the game in hand. Shocking how many people I have helped out in the bush who have gone in without even the most rudimentary skills.
On top of that, a good, sharp knife and a fire starter are very handy. In my survival pack I also have the usual goodies like most of you guys have.

I'm sure this coming winter the rescue guys will have their hands full with yokels wandering off into the bush up around Whistler during the Olympics too. Sometimes the shallow end of the gene pool needs a good filtering.

Wolfman

Wolfman
08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
And its great for defending youself against ninja attacks!:p

Damn bush Ninjas!

JAFA
08-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Created my backpacking survival kit last weekend... similar to what this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvz1o9qkzDs) has... other than having a first aid kit, a compass, and a 6" Knife, this is what's in my pouch...surprisingly it doesn't take up that much space:

1 Firesteel
1 Bic Lighter
6 Cotton Balls soaked in Vaseline (in small zip lock baggie)
2 Long strips of bicycle inner tube (will keep lit even when it’s pouring rain)
1 Candle, 4” tall
1 Trioxane Fuel Bar (military style)
10 ft of Snare Wire
1 Signal Mirror
1 Whistle
1 Orange Garbage Bag
1 Glow Stick
1 Small Headlamp
1 Emergency Blanket
3 Large Zip-Lock Bags
Duct Tape, 6 feet
Small Sowing Kit
Super Glue
Para-cord, 50ft
6 Zip Ties
4 Safety pins
Extra Batteries
Iodine Tablets
Small fishing kit (2 hooks, line, sinker, small bobber)
2 Power Bars
5 Small Candies
1 Bag of Hot Chocolate
10’ x 10’ tarp
1 Small Swiss Army Knife
1 Laplander Folding Saw
1 Bandana

What are you making / drinking the hot chocolat with/in?