PDA

View Full Version : Boot Lace Wisdom

6.5-284
02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
This may seem like a silly question but is there a special way to tie boots laces so that they do not loosen up after the first mile or two? I can get mine good and tight, but they always loosen up at the knot/bow. Any help would be great.

boxhitch
02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Don't tie a Slip Knot .......:lol:
Use a Reef knot aka Square Knot......left over right, right over left.
Believe me, others have this trouble too.
Glad you asked

Bow Walker
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I wrap two wraps before tying the actual bow in the laces. Then, give an extra knot with the loops of the bow you just made. Then tuck the loose ends into the top of the boot and/or behind(underneath) the tongue of the boot.

It'll take yer momma to untie then at the end of the day.

rugeer
02-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I was going to sugest just what the Hummer put forward, best knot for boots

Mauser98
02-17-2009, 08:12 PM
You could try what we used to do when I was logging, to keep them from coming loose and/or snagging on brush and causing you to trip. In the last eyelet at the top of the boot and on both sides, instead of threading the lace through, form a loop and thread that through instead. Then take the tailend of each end, thread it through the loop on the opposite side and pull both ends tight. Works like a 'hot damm', especially with leather laces.

Absolutely!!! This method works!!! And easy to undo.

ape
02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
When lacing up the boot from the very bottom do not put the lace through the eyelet then over the leather to the next hole. Lace it over the leather and then through the eyelet. You will never have the laces come loose again. Be warned though at the end of the day sometimes it is a bitch to get them undone to get them off. Here is a pic of mine.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o154/apester3/100_1285.jpg

bruin
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I use half hitches over the upper hooks like right above the ankle where I don't want them coming loose. Seems to work for me.

6.5-284
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks fellas!

Mr. Friendly
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
duct tape. :rolleyes:

yukon john
02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
rubber boots

Wild Bill
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I just had someone show me a new way to lace boots on the weekend. After the eyelets and before the speed rings, twist the laces twice. Then pull both to one speed ring and hook it from the top down. Pull the laces to the other speed ring and again, top to bottom. Double twist again and repeat to the top. When you start the knot, double twist the granny knot and then tie the bow knot. I also then tie the bows. So far it seems to work and I think with this way you can leave the bottom a little looser to keep the circulation going and all the twists and locks will keep the top tight for support.

kyleklassen
02-19-2009, 08:56 PM
You could try what we used to do when I was logging, to keep them from coming loose and/or snagging on brush and causing you to trip. In the last eyelet at the top of the boot and on both sides, instead of threading the lace through, form a loop and thread that through instead. Then take the tailend of each end, thread it through the loop on the opposite side and pull both ends tight. Works like a 'hot damm', especially with leather laces.thats the only way. .... most holes won't take the loop on 1 shot though ... just go through and back. and watch the new vibergs they like putting smaller eyes on....makes it a real bitch with skookum leather laces.