PDA

View Full Version : So what did ya learn?

Buckmeister
02-17-2009, 07:09 PM
I believe that no matter how experienced a hunter a person is, that everytime they go out to hunt, successfull or not, they have the opportunity to learn something new about the sport or the game they are after.

This thread is a chance for you to post what you learned from this last hunting season.

I'll go first.
When I got my mulie, I found him in a half grown cut block. When I first got there, I sat myself down on a stump with a good view of the cut and did some rattling and calling. I saw no action. So after a while I went hiking in search of mr. big. I found his track along with some others in the snow just around the corner and not far from where I was sitting. The tracks were headed up, and away from where I was sitting. I caught up with him along the edge of the cut. He was tailgating a doe and there was a smaller satelite buck not far away.
My guess is this: he had his hot doe and his opportunistic buddy was nearby, so when he heard my calls he decided to ignore or avoid me because he didn't want any more nosey bucks hanging around his doe. So instead of coming to the calls, he went in the other direction. If I hadn't gone for my hike, I probally wouldn't have seen him. That's my guess anyways.

Dad and son
02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
thanks for starting this thread. I started a similar one last year and was going to this year as well. I learnt a lot of small things this year. First I was hunting Bison with my son in -30 this December. Even though I grew up in Northern Alberta 25 years ago, I had forgotten how much impact cold has on your hunting adventures.
In the very cold
1)My lighter did not work to start a fire
2)My hydraulic jack would not work to change a tire, fortunately I had scissor jack with me as well
3)Of course my 2006 diesel truck would not start after being parked for 3 days in that temperature and I never thot of a tiger torch leaving Vancouver.
4)Variable power scope froze and broke, luckily I had a back up rifle.
5)This is the silliest one and the most significant. At the outfitters ranch (sro) there was another party that had their gun misfire in the cold. Of course that would not happen to me I thought. Well when my son was shooting his bison the next day he had 3-4 of 7 bullets that simply did not fire. My plan was to fire my gun a few times during the day to keep it warm. We were hunting within the first 2 hours of daylight and still ended up with a frozen firing pin because I had also forgotten to keep the gun warm.

With my quad I learnt a few things as welll
My brother drove over a spruce tree that was laying on the trail. Unfortunately one branch punctured the radiator. Fortunately there was only 1 day left in our hunt. Lesson learned keep branches away from the rad.
I also learned about driving across poorly built bridges and not having some nails etc with me to do repairs. I drove across a quad bridge and fell off the bridge because of a loose board. If I had taken the time to fix the loose board or had my buddy in front of me telling me how my tires looked I would not have fallen off. The quad landed on my ankle and I had a very bad sprane that took the fun out of the trip. I was lucky he was there to pull the quad off of me as well or I would have been in major trouble. I also wished I had jumped off the quad. Still do not know why I didn't everything happened in slow motion. Next time I will be more ready to jump when driving across hazards. Usually we take our rifles out of the holders when going across this bridge. This time of course mine was still there and the scope fogged up being in the water for a while. Luckily I had a back up rifle again

Buckmeister
02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
With my quad I learnt a few things as welll

Ya, me too. One, was to go slowly around cedar tree branches that obscure your view of the trail beyond, sometimes there is a fallen log behind that can reach out and rip valve stems off. Two, if you have a winch, USE IT. That's exactly what I told myself when I was looking at my quad laying on it's side after having rolled it backwards off a short but steep incline. The quad actually landed on me, but I only sustained cuts and bruises and the quad a busted headlight (the headlight/instrument cluster smacked me on my ding-dong :oops:).

PGK
02-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Whitetails are pricks

huntwriter
02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
After missing a huge buck walking not 25 yards from my stand and with me not ready for him, because I had been glassed the other end of the cut block, I learned once again to look close first and then far.:frown:

kyleklassen
02-17-2009, 08:53 PM
not that i learned something new but remembered something old " anything can happen during the rut" after shooting the first buck we saw my daughter shot a bigger one that was 20yds away and still bedded down but we couldn't see it till we hiked up the road a little. DOH!!!

Gateholio
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
If you know a cougar is in the neighborhood, and you are lucky, you may be able to call it in!:eek:

Will
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I learned that tag soup isn't all that bad...

RustyRipper
02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Expect the unexpected, literally. A few times this past season I was in a situation where I was not ready or did not expect deer to be in a place that looked very unsuiting, and than have one walk out in front of me just to mock me and teach me a lesson. I've learned now to always be ready and expect the unexpected, you never know when opportunity will arise.

betteroffishing
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
i learned that a black bear can look like a 6 foot tall behemoth before a shot and somehow end up looking very small once down.i will spend more time sizing up the situation this spring.

Big Lew
02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Never let your guard down.....was walking along the top of a logged off mountian ridge, heading toward the timbered cap about mid-morning. I was using everything available to conceal my approach, including a small willow thicket about 25 ft. by 15 ft. which I was skirting. My mind was only thinking about how best to sneak into the timber. I had climbed a long very steep slope and had my bow still contained in it's sling, when, you guessed it, a large eight-point mulie jumped out of that willow thicket and stopped to look at me for about 20 secs.---more than enough time for a shot of 30 yards if I had my bow ready.

Woody
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
stay in your truck and road hunt after 6 days of pounding the timber driving back to camp after morning hunt moose stood on the road for us, only moose we saw in 10 days of hunting now i am just going to be a road hunter :lol:

GoatGuy
02-17-2009, 09:58 PM
If somebody follows your tracks into your little blind they will sit right beside it. "Nice spot you got here, I'm just gonna sit right beside you". hahahahaha

vanislehunter1
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
ALWAYS shoot a couple rounds off after driving from the coast to prince george. Missed a VERY large doe at 225 yards. I thought that the bullet would have dropped a bit so i aimed over the back about 7 inches and forgot that altitude affects the bullets flight path. so, i missed the deer and somehow managed on the last day to shoot a moose even though i did not sight in my rifle. i did not realize it until i got home and watched a hunting show where he missed an animal because of not sighting it in. Man i felt like an absolute idiot.

Also while moose hunting, dont sit there in your truck staring at 7 deer in a herd with the biggest being a 4 point. i sat there for 30 seconds and said holy crap thats a big buck!!! then i realized, oh i guess i should shoot it in stead of sitting there. one of those deer would have been bagged if i didnt sit there with my jaw on the ground. i still beat myself up about that just about every day.

tooley
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
I learned this lesson quite a few years ago...While hunting with mowitch slayer, we were driving home from a long weekend hunt. halfway down the mountain there is a small whitetail doe standing in the middle of the road. She then bounded off the road and we decided to carry on since she seemed to be by herself..........oooops......Lesson #1- always step out of the vehecle with your rifle ready when you see any game, you never know when that elusive 5-point buck might run accross the road!

SteadyGirl
02-18-2009, 06:38 AM
I learned to be twice as quiet as I used to think I was, ..was still hunting elk and I almost stepped on a rabbit:biggrin: Now thats quiet.

BiG Boar
02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I learned everything I know about hunting this year. Probably not nearly enough, however I am on a journey, and the learning will probably never stop.

Wild Images
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Learned that even your favorite time of year seems empty when cancer steals your best hunting partner :-(Take your dad hunting every chance you get!!!

mark
02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Whitetails are pricks

I knew that for a while now. I did learn that big whities do exist, but also learned that they are bullet proof :-(.

I also learned that I shouldnt just take it for granted that I will bag a huge muley every year, and that muley tag soup sucks!

I also learned that the water from lone cabin creek is NOT good to drink :x. Trust me on this one!

Spuddge
02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
-Always make sure the bark on a windfall log is firmly attached before attempting to walk across it.

-If you want to keep the antlers from your mulie don't take a head shot with a 300 win mag, 180 grain nosler accubond from 100 yards.

-If you shoot a large moose 400 yards into a fresh cut covered in debris, it's alot of work to get it out.

-Never pierce the stomach lining of a large moose with your bone saw when your nostrils are in close proximity to the puncture.

-If you share a wall tent with six other guys it's going to smell bad.:shock:

02-18-2009, 12:00 PM
While trying to get at a good Billy goat, coming out of a dried up creek drainage, looking from below the access to the top of the hog back or ridge-line looked ok. Before my hunting partner and I knew it we were at the point of no return (harder to go backwards and down), we had to abandon rifles that we tied to ropes, later to be hoisted up to where we had found safety. Just nasty ..... what a lesson. A fall from the little ledges and ridge line could have spelled disaster if not death. The guns took a beating, we were alive but disappointed in our discision. Needless to say, we got with in gun range of 2 good billies and didn't have the guts to take one due to posible loss of the critter in steep country. Plus, if after the shot if the Bill hung up on an outcrop or ledge, one slip by us could spell disaster. No Billy is worth loosing my life with my family and friends.
Just glad to be here, oh and I hope I get the LEH draw again.... go figure.
CT

gone hunting
02-18-2009, 12:43 PM
The thing about misfires in cold weather is the oil in the bolt gets very thick and doesn't allow the firing pin to move forward fast enough. Strip it and clean it with something like rubbing alcohol that evaporates, then lube it with a very thin coating of vasaline.

d6dan
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
I've learned that hunting blacktails is alot tougher than whiteails. they act like and react similar to that of a whitetail, but have similar behaviors like a mule deer. Every day spent in the field is a education and theres always something new to see and learn.

boyd050
02-18-2009, 06:14 PM
every year brings new lessons!! I learned ....don't let hotload take your spot in your favourite tree stand.. he learned.... use boyd's tree stand it's awesome..!!! I learned that having your rifle stolen is a very shitty experience....:frown: I learned that every year I value my hunting more and more......I learned that when you have a back like mine, be careful helping rockrabbit put his stand up..... :eek: it's heavy and awkward......and I ain't young anymore!! and especially I learned having a buddy(pach) who is a photographer on all your hunts, is second to none, I have picture memories of so many great times I had this year I will never forget the fun I had..and finally I learned how valuable all my friends are....!!!:D:D

Buckmeister
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Learned that even your favorite time of year seems empty when cancer steals your best hunting partner :-(Take your dad hunting every chance you get!!!

I couldn't agree more. My condolances to you and your family.

Buck
02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I learned something today when you think its time to go wait for another 5 minutes.I had 30 geese land right where i was setup when i walked to my boat to leave.Also make sure you leave the boat in deep enough water when hunting a tidal river.My boat was high and dry tonight and i thought i was gonna be there all night till the tide came in.Somehow i got it out.
When you find a cow moose in the bush there will almost always be a bull nearby
When you find a doe in a clearcut there will usually be a deer bedded nearby.I have used this trick if she doesn't spook and i see nothing else i start walking away then turnaround and thats when the buck gets up to leave.This has worked a couple of times for me.
When hunting alone always have one in the tube damn bears move fast.

Buckmeister
02-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Whitetails are pricks

True for both bucks and does. Especially does when they catch wind or sight of you.

I don't know what's more aggrevating, shooting at a buck and missing, or getting busted by a doe and not being able to shoot her in order to shut her up. :mad:..............Dang snorting windbags anyways!

longhairmtnman
02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I learned hunting is easy....:biggrin:
......not.

-When hunting elk, tag along with a guy over 65.
-Wolves will come into your camp.
-Scopes with variable power need to be reduced when hunting in thick -timber:oops:.
-Just because you can't see antler with your naked eye, don't mean it ain't a bull!
-quarter a moose, even if you can take it whole, to promote faster cooling.
-When hunting, look in places you don't expect to see game.
-Check your furnace before you go into moose camp. Heat is nice.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Learned that bowhunting grizzlies during a late snow melt is an act in futility(too noisy)

Learned a "little" about elk hunting...albeit slightly misleading.

Be willing to "tweak" the location of your treestand.....and to clear shooting lanes ASAP

SSS

Bowtime
02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I am young still but consider myself very experienced and successful. I know I will "never" know all there is to know about hunting any animal. But every hunt one goes on, is never the same as the last and thats what I love. Every hunt is different and you need to plan it out to be sucessful. And when you harvest ananimal and you know it's because of your knowledge and decisions made, it is so much more rewarding I find.

goatdancer
02-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Learned about this site. Some very interesting stuff here.

MOWITCH SLAYER
02-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I learned when calling or rattling for anything it pays to sit quietly for as long as you can before you through your rifle over your shoulder and start walking (oops there he goes!!)

Ron.C
02-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I learned a couple things while hunting last year

- Don't keep your camera in a Ziploc bag, condensation sucks :roll:

- If you figure you are in shape and ready for a solo backpack hunt in the mountains, think again. Train more

- Don't be afarid to change things up and try something new

tuffteddyb
02-20-2009, 10:50 AM
learned that you do not take non morning people out before you let them drink their morning coffee!!!!!
learned to use my rangefinder more=one scared bear and 1 dead tree!
learned that those,that looks easy enough to get into place ,means 4 hours with chainsaw and shovels and jacks to get out.

SLIK
02-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I am making a portable toilet. Shitting in the woods is a literal pain in the ass.

Will
02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I learnt that if I don't buy a Linx tag I see about two hundred and forty two of them every winter.......
Yet with a Linx tag in the pocket I never see any ??? :-?

I am making a portable toilet. Shitting in the woods is a literal pain in the ass.
Note: any likeness to Gatehouse is Purely coincidental........;-)
http://www.bumperdumper.com/art/turkey1.jpg

mwj
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
While hunting deer(especially whitetails although this applies to blacktails and mulies too).
i'm wanting to know if anyone else has learned about the headbob-for lack of better words to explain it. if you've had this experience you'll know what i'm talking about... how many of you had a doe bob for you and have you bobbed back? i'm serious here, this is a talking with nature truth!

SteadyGirl
02-20-2009, 09:21 PM
yep does headbob.. I think it has only happened when I have been seen before scented.. so it is a way to try to identify us or scent us once they know we are there.

twice so far I've had does walk towards me.. both times with the headbob and they weave a bit too. Both came in very close. One still hunting blacktails.. and once trying to rattle my dad a mulie buck, a three point eventually came in but no 4spike

Will
02-20-2009, 10:42 PM
yep does headbob..
..............I have no comment:redface:

115 or bust
02-20-2009, 11:14 PM
one if your batteries die warm them on the fire to get that one quick pic
two if you want to kill big bucks hang out with people who kill big bucks and PAY ATTENTION
three your old man always knows better than you because he was you a long time before you were so PAY ATTENTION
four SLOW DOWN
five SLOW DOWN
lol that sums up this year

martyonthewater
02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
i learned that no matter how slowly or quietly i still hunt, i scared everything away with the door chime in the truck before I even put a shell in my rifle

mwj
02-20-2009, 11:20 PM
steady girl!
you have seen what i'm talking about! leave Will laughing but carry on and head bob back. i do believe that this behavior takes place only when the doe is in heat!~

Will
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
steady girl!
you have seen what i'm talking about! leave Will laughing but carry on and head bob back. i do believe that this behavior takes place only when the doe is in heat!~
I've had many Does approach me in this manner...if the wind is right they have gotten really close, like slap thier nose close !

I think it's just how they approach each other....this has happened to me as much in the spring chasing bears as in the winter during the rut ???

I don't think being in heat has much to do with it....deer are curious and are social animals, they will approach most critters they cannot make out or smell......until they do however, then you get the red eye good bye:smile:

Junorr500
02-21-2009, 07:12 PM
No matter what always always ALWAYS have a firestarter, compass and proper knife on your person whenever you step out of the truck. Because you may endup having a hardtime after tracking a wounded moose for 3 hours in the snow and need those items.

Buckmeister
02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
No matter what always always ALWAYS have a firestarter, compass and proper knife on your person whenever you step out of the truck. Because you may endup having a hardtime after tracking a wounded moose for 3 hours in the snow and need those items.

Check out my other thread about survival in the woods.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31769

MDG3
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
I learned that tag soup isn't all that bad...

That's funny, mine tasted like pulp.....;-):lol:

stroh72
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Well I learned that you can cross train for months, spend weeks at the range, ignore the family and spend every night on a certain website, hike 8hrs solo into your secret spot for mulie opening but if you are transfixed on the grizzly rather than watching the draw in the first 5 minutes of the season you'll won't see that 5x5 with drop tines you've scouted out till its too late.....

Jelvis
02-26-2009, 09:27 AM
I learned when a person sells their truck and has'nt a we hick al, it's hard to get out in the bush when you want to go hunting, cuz it's hard to co-ordinate with others that have a ride, especially on short notice.
Also I learned to help a newbie learn area who has a new dodge truck, this helps, we're going out hiking today in mule deer country by Barriere following deer trails.
Jelly-Jocko-Nor river Rocko. lol.

Cole
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Learned a very hard lesson this year, Don't ever go into the bottom end of a drainage or a gully while elk hunting without cow calling and being on hyper alert mode. I wanted to get to the other side of this draw and spooked the biggest bull I have ever seen and could not get a shot off in time. It was easily a 350 B&C or better bull. Horn everywhere. Also , I was forced to learn to SLOW DOWN! ! ! because of my bad ankle. I saw more game this past season than I ever had before and had way more fun.

open-sights
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I've had many Does approach me in this manner...if the wind is right they have gotten really close, like slap thier nose close !

I think it's just how they approach each other....this has happened to me as much in the spring chasing bears as in the winter during the rut ???

I don't think being in heat has much to do with it....deer are curious and are social animals, they will approach most critters they cannot make out or smell......until they do however, then you get the red eye good bye:smile:

In the spring I have had a ton of entertainment from does, mostly they act funny when they have a fawn bedded close by. Had one follow me within 20 feet for half an hour, sometimes within 5 feet, grunting but never threatning and a ton of headbobbing, I figured I got real close to the fawn at one point as the doe stepped up beside me and shook her head at me kind of like a dominant horse at feeding time. Late in the year it seems they are a whole lot more skiddish and smarter.

308Lover
02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I've hunted for so long I'm starting to foget stuff I learned 40 years ago. LOL
I keep my 3-9 scope on 4 all the time. This year I had a long shot chance at a buck--did I crank up the scope? Nope. Did I miss the shot? Yup. Was I dazed and confused at missing? Yup. My friend's 300 magnum elevates 2 feet at 120 metres if you put the scope on 9. You can miss this way too! Go figure.