PDA

View Full Version : Who knows what about snowshoes??

waistdeep
02-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I want to buy a set to wander through the woods on these great sunny days, but what to buy? I could buy a set of wooden ones for 65.00 or go to some light weight aluminum units for 300.00...

Don't want to buy junk, but at the same time for a half a dozen trips a year going for a walk .... well what do you think????:?:

Orangethunder
02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Atlas and Tubbs seem to work pretty well. The wooden jobbies are alright but for in the thicker timber its nice to have a smaller shoe. The old school sherpas are decent too if you can find a pair at a garage sale or something. Sometimes at this time of year the ski hills and/or Valhalla type places are selling off rentals. You might find some good deals there.

boxhitch
02-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Pick on Tubbs or MSR or Atlas or .............
Denali molded plastic have the option of adding a tail for deeper snow.
Smaller ones are more enjoyable. You won't need a giant size , mostly our snow has lots of support, especially the second time over.
Take turns out in front.

Dirty
02-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Do a search there are multiple threads on this already.

B.C.Boy(100%)
02-16-2009, 10:55 PM
This year I decided to walk on top of the snow, rather than deep down in it.

I picked up a pair of Canadian snowshoes from MEC, this way if I didn't like them I could exchange them or get my money back at anytime, plus these shoes have a LIFETIME warranty.
GV Snowshoes (Gros-Louis & Vincent)
http://www.gvsnowshoes.com/eng/index.html

I do a fair bit of snowboarding in my local hills (no lifts), so I wanted something that was going to fit my Boarding boots or my Sorels, and these fit both, I am quite happy with my choice.

MidnightRun
02-17-2009, 01:22 AM
The convenience and security provided by the bindings on the newer aluminum/composite snowshoes alone is worth spending the extra coin. Not to mention its much less work traversing side hills on the crusty snow with heel and toe crampons, another feature not to be found on traditional wooden snowshoes.

ursusbait
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I work in the bush and have seen many type of snowshoes. GV snowshoes are the best hands down. There warranty is the one that I have found that will cover forestry workers. These shoes will last!!

If you are only going out in good conditions and only a few times a year buy what you can afford and it will do the job.

Ursusbait

Camp Cook
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
How much you and your gear/pack weigh is important when deciding on what length of snow shoes you wear my first pair were only 30" and as soon as I put a pack on I was constantly breaking thru the crust I'd say if you are 200lbs plus get 36" snow shoes.

Other features about the new style snow shoes is that they aren't as wide as the old wooden ones so you do not have to worry about breaking your legs in because your steps are a bit wider just strap them on and head off...

The way the bindings are attached are another feature that I now like it takes very little effort to go thru the deepest snow.

Myself I started with MSR's and have now upgraded to the best available at the time I wear 36" Tubb Mountain snow shoes that are about 3 years old now heres a pic link of the snow shoes and another of me from a couple weeks ago.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/71744,,_Tubbs-Mountain-Snowshoes-36-.html

http://www.hunt101.com/data/559/medium/Feb_07_2009_Snow_Shoe_Trip_010.jpg

scoot
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
I work in the bush and have seen many type of snowshoes. GV snowshoes are the best hands down. There warranty is the one that I have found that will cover forestry workers. These shoes will last!!

If you are only going out in good conditions and only a few times a year buy what you can afford and it will do the job.

Ursusbait

My words exactly. GREAT shoes. Lifetime warranty, I think by far the best design, quick release buckles, crampons, strong pivots and very light. I bought the GV extreme 9X29". paid a 260 i believe tax in.

Rust
02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
I just got a pair of MSR lighting ascents, 25". I am bout 165-170 lbs. Only used them once so far, but am happy with them. Light and easy to move in. straps stay done up well. Surpose to have a life-time warrenty too.