PDA

View Full Version : Boston Bar bear hunt

Jason Melo
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Im planning my first ever bear hunt to boston bar and was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers and maybe some spots to try out?
And also when do we find out if we have been drawn for spring grizz hunts?

Charger440
02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
To clarify your post:
1) You have arbitrarily chosen Boston Bar to hunt black bear and are looking for members to pinpoint specific hunting locations?
Reality: Your freeloading for information without showing you have done any research or scouting.
2) You have applied for a Grizzly tag and you are uncertain of the draw date?
Reality: Easily accessible information on this site and Ministry of Environment site with a little due diligence.

I guess we can learn from this that it's a whole lot easier to have some one else do the work.vb

HighCountry
02-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey Jason M Boston Bar not a good area to hunt for bears anymore.

02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Try the Anderson road just south of B/B, or North Bend side toward Nahatlatch
country, check the log outs, bottoms, look for fresh spring grass and Big Blackies all by themselves, next thing you know, Vavoooom! Late May.
Good Luck
CT

open-sights
02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I took a kid out a few times early last spring, no bears but we were early, I did see many through the year though. Boston Bar through to Lillooet

BigfishCanada
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Charger, great feedback, your a great help on a hunting forum.

The Nahatlach back roads have black bear, but I have also seen griz up there during salmon season so make sure your shooting at blacks. Id say anywhere in Southern BC has a ton of blacks in May, Im looking for grazzing areas, scan with spotting scope far distances then spot and stock after you see one.

Good luck,

PS: LEH results just google "BC LEH"

slyfox
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Anderson road like curly top side has some great bear hunting was up there last year and did see 4 diff bears and i was fishing not hunting.Grizz draw should be out around 20th of this month.Charger take it easy it black bear hunting and its not that hard to find area,s to hunt for bear just drive down most logging roads.

Dirty
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Check out the Black Bear Hunting Tips Thread. You should be able to find it with a quick search. There is loads of good information in there. I hunted blackbear last year and had ample opportunity to harvest a decent bear. However, I made some unfortunate decisions (Not shooting a 51/2 foot bear) because I didn't know how to tell size (he was the first bear we saw). Check out the thread and get the goods.

Some things I learned. If you spook a bear, drive up the road, park for a bit, and then walk back to the general area you saw it. Sometimes they will come back out to feed or will be hanging around not too far away. You will find that bears in a general area will be feeding a certain elevation or specific locations. Drive around, find the sign, and then walk in and check these areas out.

Try looking on very steep exposed slopes where they can feed. We discovered that bears like the steepest nastiest areas in the area we were hunting (Region 3). However, we have also seen the same general trend in Region 2. Get a backroads map and go for a drive.

Franko Manini
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
To clarify your post:
1) You have arbitrarily chosen Boston Bar to hunt black bear and are looking for members to pinpoint specific hunting locations?
Reality: Your freeloading for information without showing you have done any research or scouting.
Reality: Easily accessible information on this site and Ministry of Environment site with a little due diligence.

I guess we can learn from this that it's a whole lot easier to have some one else do the work.vb

This forum provides an opportunity for everyone to ask questions in the spirit of info exchange between hunters. I don't think he's askingfor GPS coordiantes, just some idea of where to start. And why not ask a simple question? Maybe he doesn't know where to go to get an answer.

If you don't like someone's questions, don't respond.

The Dawg
02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
To clarify your post:

Sounds like someone doesnt want anyone finding out about his area....But EVERYONE already knows that Boston Bar is the Clearwater of bear hunting.

Ddog
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
you can give the spuzzum FSR a try, was real decent a couple of years back, same with ruby cr. FSR.
skagit is also a real decent place when there is a good snow pack up high. have taken several good bears out of skagit.

rishu_pepper
02-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Daryll, how far up do you have to get up onto Spuzzum FSR to be productive? Was up there in '07 fall but didn't see much except some grouse. :)

Woodpile
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Is early April too early to hunt blacks in region 3?

BiG Boar
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Buy a back roads mapbook and have a look down all the roads in the area. They all have bears on them. Not as many as say the island, or sunshine coast, but lots of bears, should see a few each days.

I drove to the end of spuzzum and it is well grown over last spring. Did see bears but they quickly hopped off the road. If we were walking we could have taken them. However when learning a new area it is easier to drive them all looking for sign to know where the bears are living. Or to look for good areas to spot from. Spuzzum would be bad if the bear runs down the hill, or you go down the hill in your truck.

But seriously all you need is a back roads map book. I didnt go down one area that I didnt see a bear or bear sign sometime during the spring.

Jason Melo
02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey everyone but charger thanks for the advice
and charger just to let u know ive been to boston bar a couple times and i was just wondering where to start since i have never bear hunted before, so what im saying basically is get lost.
Reality: screw off

mike_b
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
This forum provides an opportunity for everyone to ask questions in the spirit of info exchange between hunters. I don't think he's askingfor GPS coordiantes, just some idea of where to start. And why not ask a simple question? Maybe he doesn't know where to go to get an answer.

If you don't like someone's questions, don't respond.

I agree....

Relax and stay cool Charger...

Vanguard
02-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Just pick a logging road in the area and stick to the main road. Go nice and slow and wide around sharp turns, thats where you usually find them blackies, always taking off when your coming around the corner. The main key is to stick to the main road, no need for walking.

lip_ripper00
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Im planning my first ever bear hunt to boston bar and was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers and maybe some spots to try out?

jeeze did am I the only one that saw humor in this post:smile:

Johnnybear
02-18-2009, 12:01 AM
The backroads map books are a must. Try google earthing the area too. I know it can be a little out dated but once you start using it and going into areas you can figure out how old the photos are by the growth, clear cuts, etc. Very handy tool. I have printed off Google Earth shots and they worked better than the map book in some situations:wink:. Good luck and and Fred Bear would say "Happy Hunting".

Ddog
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Brian,,,we always seemed to find bears in the first couple of kms of Spuzzum, but we never really hunted those ones, more of a chance sighting we did however take one at the 5km mark a decent 5'9 or so.
we used to camp up past the creek at the first bridge, i dont remember exactly how far that was but it was a good distance. it used to be very productive the last week of May, the best we had it up there it was almost 30 degrees during the day and the evenings seem to have a lot of bears walking around.

rishu_pepper
02-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Good to know Daryll. If my VI trip proves unproductive (I pray it won't! :D), then I'll have Spuzzum/BBar to fall back on.

Jimbo
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/JIMLEE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/JIMLEE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgIm planning my first ever bear hunt

I hope a few experienced grizz hunters post in here but I don't think grizzlies are the right quarry for someone new to bear hunting.

moosinaround
02-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Don't know much about Boston Bar, but try the search function, it will save you lots of time! Good luck, happy yogi hunting. Moosin

yukon john
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
AAAAAAARRGGG!!! Anderson Creek is only good if you like tag soup and meeting with hmmm visible minorities? who have a taste for gallbladders (admittedly a few cranker bucks come out of there every fall)

Blainer
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Like others have mentioned,try Anderson main,hard right(switchback) about 1 km before Boston Bar.There is a big arm to block the highway(like railway crossing) in the event of snow,right at the turn,easy to see.If you work you're way thru(backroads map) you come out at Coldwater exit on the Coquihalla,best hunting on backside.
Good luck.

alpinetreker
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
scuzzy creek fsr go to about 14k and glass the other side. lots of bears there we haul white sand from there every year and see them all the time.:smile:

o2fish2day
02-22-2009, 12:36 PM
To clarify your post:

Idiot! - Go back to the fishing forums

ruger#1
02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Upper hat creek has a good supply of bears. Three of us took three out in half a week . We seen about a dozen bears.Make sure you take a spotting scope, And do alot of glassing. used to go to spuzz and b bar, got tired of all the people. Also hat creek has big horn sheep whitetails mulies and moose.

bsa30-06
02-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Upper hat creek has a good supply of bears. Three of us took three out in half a week . We seen about a dozen bears.Make sure you take a spotting scope, And do alot of glassing. used to go to spuzz and b bar, got tired of all the people. Also hat creek has big horn sheep whitetails mulies and moose.

When do we leave Mark?

ruger#1
02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
when you want to go . i have a new truck, and its about three hours drive.

bsa30-06
02-22-2009, 12:59 PM
when you want to go . i have a new truck, and its about three hours drive.

we'll have to get out for bears or blacktails this year, and get some blood on that new truck!!!!

ruger#1
02-22-2009, 01:02 PM
yes we will , you can have the bear, and if you want to hunt local, i have a place that is 20 min from here, and the key for the gate.

Switchblade
02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
yes we will , you can have the bear, and if you want to hunt local, i have a place that is 20 min from here, and the key for the gate.
Can I come ...? :lol:

rishu_pepper
02-22-2009, 07:21 PM
^^ Me too! I'll take the bear :D

FlyingHigh
02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
^^^ i'm in as well. i'll bring beverages. :D

bsa30-06
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Yeah the pictures of those TWO blacktails you took last year are still burned in mind.Nothing like a friend with a key to blacktail heaven.:lol:I'll pm you when the season gets a little closer and we can make some definate plans.

bsa30-06
02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Jason,your willing to drive to Boston Bar drive a little further to the lytton area.Get a backroads map book and explore the roads you shouldnt have a problem finding a bear.You may even find a color phase bear in the area, i have taken two blonde/cinnamon colored ones from there and my partner took a decent black from there last year.