PDA

View Full Version : Rut....weather Or Daylight?

NEEHAMA
10-31-2005, 05:48 PM
i found myself listening in on a heated discussion about what starts the mulie rut. or any rut for that matter. one party was sure it was the start of cold weather the other was sure it was the start of shorter day light hours. i know if i'm going to get the straight goods here it's going to be from my fellow members at hunting bc. can any one explain?

3kills
10-31-2005, 05:50 PM
i have always been told it has to do with the hours of daylight..

BlacktailStalker
10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
The end of a moon, which is right now :)

10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.deer-library.com/artman/publish/article_32.shtml Clear as mud now!http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

todbartell
10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
shorter daylight periods has my vote

7 mag
10-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Shrinking of the retna of the doe's eye triggers estrus, Brought on by the leaner daylight hrs, So the experts say.

Schmaus
10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
ask yourself this question, If it didn't get cold do you think that the animals wouldn't rut? I think not. I do think the intensity of the rut is determined by weather, but it has to go on something constant like daylight.
Just my 2 cents
Schmaus

tmarschall
10-31-2005, 07:32 PM
OK... here is my 3 cents worth... The article was pretty good, the only thing I could add to it is there is a gland in the deer's eye that reacts to the sunlight and subsequently affects hormone levels. At least thats what they told me in one of my wildlife biology classes. So yes, sunlight is the major factor affecting the rut. I think I can simplify the weather and herd conditions he talked about. The weather and health of the deer affect the overall chemical operation of the deer's internal working. Deer in poor health may take longer to produce the right amount of hormones to start estrus, and vice versa.
Its interesting that weather is mentioned as possibly being a major factor, at the start of this discussion. Those rumors and ideas are very common down here also. I think what happens is... in colder weather, deer have to move around more to find enough food to keep themselves warm. The resulting "increase in activity" is due to hunger pains, not love pains. It is just by coincidence that the rut occurs as cold fronts move in, so the erroneous conclusion is the cold brings on the rut. The weather may be a small factor, but it should not get as much credit as most hunters give it. Hope this waters down the mud a little!!! Tom

oldtimer
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
my 2 cents--- I think it is mostly on daylight hours which explains why the farher north you go the earlier the rut starts as their days start to shrink. I t may only be a few days or a week but judging from what I have learned over the years the rut is earlier in Fort Nelson than it is here in quesnel. Open to any other opinions. Mike

rrfred
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
maybe theres too much nighttime, cold out, nothin' to do...they just get amorous to keep warm... :wink: my understanding is its a complex biophysical reaction in response to weather,light,which triggers hormonal changes... my .02 cheers

lip_ripper00
10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
naa I'm going with the cold thing!

lefty338-06
10-31-2005, 08:43 PM
It`s the hours of daylight so the fish and game boys say and just think the fawns are born within the same few weeks every year so we just have to count backwards same with moose Lefty 338-06 :wink:

Ltbullken
10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Now for my best Cliff Claben imitation!

I remember Biology 120 - it is the amount and type of sunlight that changes in the fall - declination of the sun changes some of the light waves. It is these light waves that trigger hormonal changes in the boys making them edgy and randy. Hence, as was mentioned - the fawns are born during a very tight window as the only thing that changes is the avail sunlight. Temp then would have nothing to do with it.

How's that for 2 cents worth of UFI?!

lip_ripper00
10-31-2005, 10:23 PM
naaa Its the cold thing.:p

islandhunter
10-31-2005, 10:44 PM
the fireworks at halloween, i think.

Ltbullken
11-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Available sunlight!:mad:

Fred
11-01-2005, 12:51 AM
I'll go with Tom but did anyone else notice that the Texans words were worth 3 cents rather than the usual two like the rest of Norte Americano! :lol: Fred

tmarschall
11-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Its 3 cents worth because of the fuel surcharge... cost more to get the posting up these days... anyways.... a little more on the subject. All deers are not created equal. You speak of a narrow window for the rut, But down here, some does go into estrus as early as September. Fawns have been dropping as early as April, some seem to be dropping as late as June or July. Some of the late fawns are from early fawns from the previous year that go into estrus late in the fall, before they are a year old. There is definitely a "peak" in activity in mid to late November, but there definitely some hanky panky going on outside the window!!!! Tom

huntersdad
11-01-2005, 07:10 AM
I think those does finally allow breeding after the bucks get their paycheques

Ltbullken
11-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Now we're getting close to home!

Fred
11-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I though you would mention the exchange rate Tom. I didn't think of that fuel TAX, since I don't fly! :wink: Fred

NEEHAMA
11-01-2005, 10:34 AM
more people think it's daylight. and the retna theory is just what i was looking for. thanks everyone. i'm now going to lock horns with a few hunting partners over a camp fire and a brewski.:-D

tmarschall
11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Fred... considering the exchange rate, wouldn't it be more like me putting in my 1/2 cent worth for your 2 cents worth??

Ltbullken
11-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Be warned HEEHAMA - this is an argument that will only be won by the last still awake, sober, or who can hold the bladder the longest!! :mrgreen:

Go in strength.

Fred
11-02-2005, 12:12 AM
I think Tom is trying to confuse me and thus far tonight it is working. UH, lets see now, our dollar is worth about 85 cents agin the yankee buck. Heck, I give up, i'm too tired to think this hard tonight!! :? :wink: Fred

tmarschall
11-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Getting off track here a bit but anyways... its true about the US dollar exchange rate, but I was referring to the "Texas Dollar" exchange rate:D

rock
11-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Daylight plays a big part in the rut, weather is another, just my own 2 cents.

J_T
11-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey Cliff (LTBULLKEN)

....Cliff Claben imitation!

I remember Biology 120 - it is the amount and type of sunlight ....

Good one. However, I would like to have a better understanding of how you determine the variations in sunlight. As you so aptly put it ...."type of sunlight".

Clearly the rut is brought on by a change in daylight hours. A change in the weather can bring out the instinct that the "rut is upon us". Go in seek of females.

Isn't that one of the reasons we humans hunt? Because we can't enjoy a rut with all the does in the pub?

JT

Ltbullken
11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
As the angle of the earth to the sun changes as the earth rotates on its axis in its orbit - sounds good so far doesn' it? - certain wavelengths of light become more prominent in relation to others. The angle of the earth's tilt increases the amount of air the light needs to travel through subtly changing the available wavelengths, akin to a filter. Although not hugely different on an astronomical scale, it is enough air that the certain wavelengths of light trigger hormonal changes in animals (and plants as well).

Certainly there is a wildlife biologist out there who can explain this better than I can. Anyway, that's what I remember from Bio 120 and Dendrology 1-something or other!

Your theory about doe/buck ratio in local estblishments may require more field work. I'm not sure I concur with your observations. The spike buck only season is especially problematic and it seems the quality does only are available through LEH. Limited or not, I'll take any 'entry'! :mrgreen: Will let you know how my field research goes. :wink:

Hey Cliff (LTBULLKEN)

Good one. However, I would like to have a better understanding of how you determine the variations in sunlight. As you so aptly put it ...."type of sunlight".

Clearly the rut is brought on by a change in daylight hours. A change in the weather can bring out the instinct that the "rut is upon us". Go in seek of females.

Isn't that one of the reasons we humans hunt? Because we can't enjoy a rut with all the does in the pub?

JT

Ltbullken
11-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Further, if the doe/buck ratios are unfavorable, you get this sort of thing goin' on...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/501pic02767-thumb.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1342)

J_T
11-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, but all the does I've seen exposed to "that sort of thing going on" (defined as - being pursued by more than one buck) Love it....

:-?

meat hunter
11-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I think it has something to do with switching back to standard time and perhaps halloween.....WELL MAYBE NOT.