PDA

View Full Version : the little seven strikes again,and again..

rrfred
10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Well, been poking around the bush a fair bit this fall, seeing stuff but nothing legal or not good shots, until the last week or so.

Took out my little 708 rem model 7 last week, did some calling for whitetails and my son and I called in some coyotes. First pair of doggies showed up at 240- 300 yds;kid did not have a shot so I took a crack at one on the trot..., clipped him a bit, and he bugged out like a scalded cat. So we'll call it a MIA.

Hour later saw some grey stuff moving in the trees and it looked like a mulie's color, but no clear show, kept my binocs in the area and told my son to keep an eye out too. Few min. later while glassing Dan said- dad theres a doggy in the field,I said go for it but again he did not have a clear shot..., doggy trotted my way and as he hit the treeline, 7-08 cleared its throat. bang, plop. 'Yote tried to move, Dan finished him off with his 270. We'll call it a one and a half coyote day, lotsa fun.

Went for a stroll out in region 3 last week, saw a few deer in a rainstrom -no shot at a small racked wt buck at long range.

Back this weekend for some rattling and grunting. Sitting about from first lite, and at 915 am was just getting up from my perch, and I got a glance of brown movement in the timber, dropped back down and there he was, yep, bucky. Hit the ground and as my rifle hit my shoulder the sight picture was perfect for a frontal chest shot and, kabang,... thwack. Bucky tried to run but then 3-4 sec later, big crash in the timber.... promising...

Got up, picked up my brass and moved out about 120 m to site of hit, yes nice red spot,.... walked real slow and got 20 m. and thought he went right or left, back in the timber or along the treeline, looked at treeline, nothing obvious, looked left, more red stuff, looked into the trees and,... yes ... that will be fine. A nice fat wt buck, but he only had spikes for headgear, no worries, seasons getting on, dont eat the bone... Took it easy, a while to get back to the road, and just as I get on the road to walk back to my truck i look back into the slash and a mature 6 point bullwinkle strolled along, I put my binocs on him, ...no leh this year... confirmed he had too many points on each side, enjoyed the showed till he disappeared into the bush, A good day, legs were tired from the drag.

The two most memorable images for this year will be my son getting his first mulie in the youth season and yesterday, on a solo hunt. Unless of course, I whack a big WT Buck in november... :-)

Gotta like the little seven, eager to please, easy on the shoulder and lays them down time and again. Oh, for the ballistics buffs, handloaded 145 gr speer hot cor, 2730 fps m.v. - bullet went in the front and was left somewhere in the intestines at the back- about 28-30 inches of penetration from app 120 meters. Insides were well damaged but not alll blown up, nice clean kill.

Pics to follow later in the week.will need one of the gang to give me hand to post to the gallery.
Cheers, rrfred :mrgreen:

todbartell
10-31-2005, 01:20 PM
congrats on the whitetail

you gotta love the 7-08, the slightly fatter cousin to my beloved 260 :mrgreen:

3kills
10-31-2005, 05:42 PM
good to hear congrats...where about in region 3 where u???

bsa30-06
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
congrats sounds like you and your son are having a great season you always remember the first one as i'm sure he will. I'd like to know where abouts in region 3 you were as well i spent a little time in this region this year to.

rrfred
11-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey someone wanna send me a pm - to give me a hand to scan and post some pics in the next couple of days..?

Went out yesterday, had to pull outta' one area - too much snow, went into another of my favorite spots in region 8, and the little seven struck again...

Settled into a ground blind, mid-late afternoon , few drops of doe scent here and there in the snow, couple of grunts, little bitta rattlin, bit more gruntin, bit more rattlin and... a 20 min later a soft rustle in the snow, ..... there he was... 85 yds out....licking the snow where I had dripped some doe scent... oh yeah baby..., legal whitetail,.... raised my little seven, as the safety came off, bucky looked up in my general direction, he looked pissed... too late.... good quartering in angle...bang, twack... flop... chambered another round and watched him in my scope... he flopped around in the snow for a few seconds, then quiet... done... sat for a few minutes enjoying the sunshine, the cold, the snow and my fallen animal. took a very slow stroll over to my buck. sat down, opened a pop, cut my tag and had a leisurely time doing the dissasembly work, nice easy tug along the snow downhill. A personal best, nice 4x5 typical whitetail,.... success came a little later this season, I just love hunting in the snow.... cheers rrfred :)

Elkhound
11-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Nice job, can't wait for the pics.

eagleye
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Never had a chance to hunt with the 7-08, but spent a lot of time in the woods with it's ballistic twin, the 7x57. I have shot Bear, deer, moose and elk with the 7x57, and was always impressed with the results. Some people tend to turn up their noses at such small cases, but I think that is a mistake. These two, and their slightly smaller diameter cousins, the 260/6.5x55 are performers on the front end without beating one up on the back end. Another one that I like a lot is the 300 Savage. Overachiever in small cases, these cartridges!! Eagleye.

rrfred
11-07-2005, 09:38 PM
eagleye, i'm with you man; my 7mm08s have also tallied plenty of deer moose and bear, a cartridge with which I've grown to trust immensely, and it has never let me down.

huntwriter
11-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I am with you all the way. The 7mm08 is indeed a very good all around hunting calibre. So much so that is has become my favourite rifle which I use as my "brush gun" or when I have to walk a lot. The other one is my 7mm mag. again a very good all around rifle in my opinion.