PDA

View Full Version : Huskies

FlyingHigh
02-15-2009, 09:56 PM
ok, so i got this crazy notion into my head. how difficult would it be to train a husky as a retriever? from what i hear, they're pretty smart, and hard workers.

i really love labs, but i love huskies too. ideally, i'd have 2 dogs. a lab for hunting and a husky as a "just because dog". when the time comes, i'll only be able to have one dog.

Dirty
02-15-2009, 09:58 PM
ok, so i got this crazy notion into my head. how difficult would it be to train a husky as a retriever? from what i hear, they're pretty smart, and hard workers.

i really love labs, but i love huskies too. ideally, i'd have 2 dogs. a lab for hunting and a husky as a "just because dog". when the time comes, i'll only be able to have one dog.

Save your crazy ideas for the dungeons and dragons forum.

FlyingHigh
02-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Save your crazy ideas for the dungeons and dragons forum.

yes mom.

anyone else care to contribute some useful info? or is my idea really that ******ed.

blaker_99
02-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey there,

my wife and i own 3 huskies. They are amazing dogs and have a great attitude and always are happy. I take him with me hunting but i always have him on a leash tied to my belt loop. He is very good with the gun shots if there are any and never barks or spooks any animals including birds. If you are wanting a dog for retrieving and obeying off leash commands a husky is not your breed. We absolutely love our huskies and are amazing to watch run and play with other dogs. They all get along very well with all dogs and all sizes. You need to remember they are a northern breed and LOVE and i mean LOVE to run. If you are still interested in a husky i have quite a few names and numbers for very reputable breeders who breed for quality and temperament. PM me with any questions. Cheers

FlyingHigh
02-15-2009, 10:40 PM
thanks for the info blaker. so you're saying huskies aren't as good with the off leash verbal commands as compared to the labs eh? that part is kind of important, since i do want a retriever. guess i might have to pass on a husky for now if i can't train it to obey verbal commands.

blaker_99
02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
They are very obedient dogs if trained from the get go. Most huskies unfortunattly will never stop running once let off the leash. You can call and call and call and it is like they never have heard your voice ever before. That's jsut the northern breed in them. The two older huskies are now 10 and they have settled down a lot over the past few years. They are now decent when off leash and stay around for the most part, but with my little guy who's 4 years old if i let him off his leash and he is a bit excited.......he bolts down the beach chasing any bird in sight. On a good note they are such loving and friendly dogs. Not another breed out there that compares to there quirky habbits.

kinderdoggin
02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
There are dozens of breeds to choose from if you are looking for a hunting partner. Huskies are beautiful dogs but if having a retriever is a priority in your breed search, I would rule them out. Not saying it couldn't be done, just sayin' it's going to be a hassle... particularly if you are pretty new to training.

For what it's worth, this is coming from the lady who showed up at a sled dog race with purebred Labs (and was the laughing stock at that first race. The laughing slowly subsided over the next few years as the Lab team won most of the races we entered). If you can get a husky as successful at retrieving as my Labs were at sledding, I will truly be impressed! ;)

Angel
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I posted a thread on here a few months ago regarding huskies for hunting, there was a few good replies that might be of some help.

FlyingHigh
02-16-2009, 10:56 PM
thanks for all the info folks. it really gives me something to go on. :D