PDA

View Full Version : Remedies to improve Kidney Function ?

Will
02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm posting this here as this is where the Dog gurus frequent...I hope ?

Folks we got some $hitty news yeaterday....my Wife's Beatiful 10 year old Dalmation, Soloman has become ill the last few weeks (poor appetite and general lethargy)...his blood work came back and the Vet's assessment is Chronic Kidney failure.

Doesn't seem nor sound like thier is alot of options...the vet hinted at euthanisation.

Anyone have any "remedies" for increasing kidney function etc. ?

........we just put my 12 year old Shep down last year and it really sucks to go through it again so soon.:icon_frow

Obviously there is no cure but if we can improve what time he has left I'd sure like to explore other avenues ???

Thanks
http://usera.ImageCave.com/WILLY/IMG_2186.JPG

lilhoss
02-15-2009, 09:13 PM
It's all about quality of life.Only you the owner will know when it is time.Went through the same with both my chocolate labs.(congestive heart failure/collasped trachea).I definately knew when it was time.Spoil the hell out of him...all the best.

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Get him on a raw diet asap, the less work the kidney has to do the better (lots of crap in commercial foods)

Sounds crazy but demineralized water helps too, less copper in it. One of the hardest things the kidney needs to do is filter copper out of the food/water and build ups (copper intoxicosis) can add to the problems in your dogs health. (kidneys failing so give it less to do)

Get him on some adenosyl-methionine (sam-e) from GNC (way more expensive at the vet) Give 3-4 tabs a day (depending on weight, for 70-80lb dog, 4 tabs, 2 in a.m 2 in p.m)

I have a 6.5 year old doberman whom I almost lost at christmas in 2007 and she has kidney failure ( I think, $2000 later and the vet still doesnt know whats wrong with her), since switching her diet etc etc she has done MUCH better (holistic dog food) however she still grinds her teeth at night occassionally (pain symptoms)
I have had her on the Sam-e on when the grinding gets worse and it seems to go away for quite a while when shes been on it for 2-4 weeks.
Made a HUGE difference as well as excercise at least twice a day (2-3 km run in front of the truck)
I find that extra run at night makes a big difference whether she shows her symptoms or not (yup sounds crazy but I'll take the time to do it if it improves her quality of life)

Hope it works out.

huntingfamily
02-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Will,

We had a Brittany that was diagnosed with kidney disease later in life. Our vet prescribed a prescription diet for him and his health improved quite a bit and he did really well for about 2 years.

An ideal diet for combating urinary stones and renal health-related problems is one that's moderate in high-quality proteins (and devoid of substandard protein sources), high in complex carbohydrates (whole grains, fruits, and low-purine vegetables help rid the body of extra uric acid), low in fat (fat holds onto uric acid in the kidneys), low in unnecessary fillers (foods that add little in the way of nutrients and for the most part simply result in larger stools for your dog), low in phosphorus (more important during advanced renal failure than in early stages of kidney disease), low in salt, and, for Dalmatians (http://www.aplus-flint-river-ranch.com/article-healthydalmatiandiet.php), low in purines (components of certain foods – primarily found in animal proteins – that metabolize into uric acid in the body).

This recipe is from The Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbookby Griffin, MD and Carlson, DVM. They offer this homemade diet for chronic kidney failure.

It states:

"It is important to have your vet do special tests to determine if this ailment is reversible. It is important in the management of kidney failure to replace salt lost in the urine by giving them sodium chloride tablets by mouth, to feed a high-quality, low protein diet and to give vitamin supplements to replace vitamins lost by the kidneys".

HOMEMADE LOW PROTEIN DIET #1 (large batch to divide up for smaller meals)

1 lb of lean ground beef or lean ground turkey or chicken (or a mix)
4 hard boiled eggs chopped
8 cups of cooked rice - white
12 slices of whole grain bread (crumbled)
A balanced vitamin/mineral supplement & sodium chloride tablets
OR You can use Hills Prescription diet k/d
Editorial comment on diet #1.

There are supportive functional foods you can add to this diet to enhance it, but not raise the protein levels. Since you are instructed to use sodium chloride tablets (discuss with vet for amount, I suspect what is recommended on the bottle for an adult would be ok for a large/giant breed). You could also use some broth to make this more palatable to the dog, because it sounds pretty flat in flavor and dry to eat!
I would also offer fruits and veggies in moderation, either as a treat or part of the food. Berries, carrots are good options.
I would be concerned about fiber content so using 50% brown and 50% white rice might be a better idea in this recipe.

Here are some good links on this topic:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/dietary_therapy_of_renal_failu.html

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

http://vetprof.com/clientinfo/KidneyDiseaseInDogs/diet.htm

Will
02-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Great Folks.......I'll get the wife to read this ASAP.
I do really appreciate the tips etc.......still some hope.

Islandeer
02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Good luck Will. My general advice was to get on the raw diet, which has been covered completely by BS and HF.

Jimbo
02-16-2009, 09:52 AM
When our old dog went thru this 15 yrs ago the vet recommended a low protein diet like huntingfamily suggests. It helped, but only briefly.

All the best.

Will
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Thought I'd update...

We tried some very costly measures, treatments and diets etc.....all to no avail.

Seems his time had come, he really deteriorated this morning and we decided to have him put to rest. I returned home from work and had to carry him out to the truck....

When we went into the Vets office I placed him on the table...he was very relaxed and when the Vet left to get the injection and an assistant our Beloved Friend looked up at us and just died....right there and then.

It was a fitting end for a Proud and Loyal friend and we were both very Happy he did not need to suffer the indignities involved with an injection.

Happy Hunting Soloman...You will be missed my good Friend:(

http://usera.imagecave.com/WILLY/IMG_2186.JPG

huntergirl270
02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Very sorry for your loss :(

BlacktailStalker
02-26-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that, put a damper on my night, hope it gets better for your family.

ElkMasterC
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
My condolences at your loss, Will.
I can't imagine what it's gonna be like when I have to go thru that with Lobo.

My heart goes out to you both.

EMC

shaner338
02-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry for your loss..

dutchie
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
I am really sorry to hear that Will, i get all choked up just thinking about it.

prayers sent to the big man

Your pup is playing in heven right now

dutchie

Roots
02-26-2009, 11:48 PM
...losing such a family member is truly an emotional experience. I'm truly sorry Will...

huntingfamily
02-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, Will.

It's one of the tougher experiences I have ever been through also.

Take care.

hf

Will
02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks Folks......We do appreciate your thoughts !