PDA

View Full Version : saddle/pack horses

Sikanni Stalker
10-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Do any of you guys have horses for hunting, if so what breed, sex, age etc. I was gearing up to get horses, got a good deal on morgans here with papers, year old mares halter broke and can lift their feet. I found them because I did a search about horses based on, temperment, trainability, strength etc. and Morgan's came back. But since I did all this research I have been getting all kinds of different opinions. Is this a type of thing that it depends on what day and who you speak to?

Your opinions would be well received.

Thanks

youngfellla
10-31-2005, 01:40 PM
I've got a 5 year old mare and 7 year old gelding, both quarterhorses. I use the gelding for my pack horse - he is a big strong brute, and the mare is the saddle horse, she is very calm - I can shoot off her if needs be and she'll stay still. The horses are nice if you want to hunt in a park or rec area, where quads & pickups aren't allowed. Plus they are cheap on gas.

rollingrock
10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
:-) That was the topic I brought up on CGN a while ago. But if you let me pick, I'd go for a donkey. But right now there is no way to keep a donkey for myself.

Boo
10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
My suggestion is to get a good ATV.

If you must have a horse however get a good grade horse with a touch of draft horse in it's background. Forget the yearlings if you have not handled horses a great deal. Breed means less than temperament. You want something with good solid feet and legs and it must be very - very calm. A spooky horse on a hunting trip will be a nuisance at best or will kill itself or someone at the worst.

The best thing you can do is find someone with hunting horses and see if they will teach you the ins & outs of horse hunting BEFORE you buy an animal.

Also be aware that having a horse is a year-round commitment. You can't just take then out for a few weeks each fall and them put them in the barn or pasture for the rest of the year. Horses MUST be ridden at least a couple of times each week unless you like to play rodeo at the beginning of each trip.

Fred
11-01-2005, 12:29 AM
You might want to talk to Ex about horses and guiding! :frown: Fred

boxhitch
11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
If the Morgans you are looking at are 'old style' pedigree, I would say that they would be tough to beat, as a pure breed, for the size/weight class that they fit. Every breed has good and bad points, depending on the lineage, so you can't generalize too much. Look for larger size leg bones and knees for something that will stay sound. Large, SOLID, hoofs are a key point to watch for. Most bush horses have some Draft Horse blood in the mix, to get the bone structure needed for the toughest going. A proper wither makes for fitting riding and pack saddles a whole lot easier. Bigger body size is not always better, due to trailering issues, stirrup height, pack load height ( try lifting a 1/2 elk over your head !!) but you don't want your toes in the mud or water all the time, either. Lots to ponder. As was said earlier, horses are a way of life, unless you just borrow/rent/steal for a week or two.

Tarp Man
11-03-2005, 01:09 AM
BC, Finally a topic I know something about. Prior to going to university, I trained and rode horses for ten years. Kept them at home too, so I understand a thing or two about hauling water in the winter 'cause the water lines are frozen and the power is out. Again, I agree with the earlier post about temperament confirmation (body build and type) over a specific breed. Quarter horses are a classic example. Lately their breeding has resulted in finer boned, temperamental animals, from what used to be great working or "doing" horses. Arabians are another example. They can go all day and night, but keeping them level headed and still during a crucial moment, or any moment for that matter is next to impossible. Draft horses or a cross do tend to be a bit more level headed, can handle more weight, and usually have good feet. However, if you are riding, how far apart can your ahh... "lower regions" stretch. They have a very wide back. However, there are few* things that can keep your a$$ warm on a cold winter day than riding bareback with a long coat. *(I did say few as this is a family site).

If you have limited experience with horses, look to spend some time with someone who will show you the ropes... before your pack horse does. Volunteer to go on trips as camp slave and learn all you can. Ride as much as you can to learn about horses as much as you can. Learn to read them. This will help in knowing what you are getting into when you acutally buy them. Or promise to take someone on trips for free if they offer to help.

I know that horses can be far more effective as an early warning system of other animals, such as bear, deer, wolves, etc, and also sound like forest four legged creatures.

Good luck in your quest. Plan to learn lots and take the time to do so. Your pack horses or riding horses deserve it and it could save your skin one day.

-Tarp Man

J_T
11-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Tarp man pretty much says it all. You have to watch the build of the animal, whether it is a suitable body structure for a pack horse. If your riding it, you want something comfortable, not only to sit on, but the ride. A draft can be secure, but at times they can be choppy.

I've had 1/4 horses. Great horse. Morgans, excellent. Arabians, quite good, but a bit small. They go all day.

I think the best combo would be an arabian / 1/4 horse or paint cross.

Mules are excellent. I've never used them, but been with guys who do.

Bottom line, buying a horse is not like buying a dog or a cat. It is a way of life and if you aren't currently in that way of life - life is about to change. They take a sizable commitment from you. They are a "path of least resistence" animal and you can't ever bully them into doing something. You have to spend a lot of time with them and bond with them

Best way to bond, (once you have some skill) is to go on a good long ride (IE 4 - 10 day).

Horses are a great way to explore the backcountry. No offence to those that ride the quad, but the horse is an extension of the hunt. It walks like an animal, it has senses that we don't.

JT

houndogger
11-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey JT,

I would argue with you on the buying the dog bit. For some they are just as big a tool as a horse or more.:wink: :mrgreen:

J_T
11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Houndogger,

Well, I would agree with you, if the dog is a hunting or working dog. My reference in the effort required was to a domestic lap dog. One that requires food at 5PM and a short walk before bed. Not one that requires a truck with a dog box for transportation, fresh hay in the back for bedding and a good 20k run on the heels of something a couple of times a week. (you get my meaning)

Thanks for clarifying the point for me.

JT

Tarp Man
11-03-2005, 09:56 PM
BC,
If you are interested, the Backcountry Horsemen's Association may be of help to you. They pack and ride through country most people never see, let alone dream of. I don't know how pro/anti hunting they are, but as their title says, they know what they are doing. Also, when I worked with a equine vet, we cared for several Mammoth Jack mules, who's owner was a member of said association. He loved them, and were they ever quiet, well mannered animals. But if you ever got kicked by one of those goose platters they use for hooves, you might think otherwise. Again, the Mammoths have great confirmation, good temperament, and are apparently quite trainable. Something else worth considering.
-Tarp Man

Sikanni Stalker
11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
you guys are great! thanks eh! When I posted this I was planning to piuck up two horses this weekend, and although I knew life would change a bit I have learned that there is alot more to them than I could have considered. I'm ok with the comittment but the proper care and training is definitely where I could ruin a horse.

I will be waiting now until spring and will continue to ask questions. I have my corral fenced already and a log building just about done, but this definitely needs more research on my part. there is also a horsemans course here I will be taking, just a general knowledge thing, different breaking, doing the hooves, feed , care etc. I am also fortunate enough to know some people that are horse owners too and are willing to give advice and even help a bit.

I will keep you posted and probably ask more info.

thanks

K-1
11-03-2005, 11:28 PM
you guys are great! thanks eh! When I posted this I was planning to piuck up two horses this weekend, and although I knew life would change a bit I have learned that there is alot more to them than I could have considered. I'm ok with the comittment but the proper care and training is definitely where I could ruin a horse.

I will be waiting now until spring and will continue to ask questions. I have my corral fenced already and a log building just about done, but this definitely needs more research on my part. there is also a horsemans course here I will be taking, just a general knowledge thing, different breaking, doing the hooves, feed , care etc. I am also fortunate enough to know some people that are horse owners too and are willing to give advice and even help a bit.

I will keep you posted and probably ask more info.

thanksHave you looked at the Canadian Horse, you can ride ,pack or haul with them. They were the foundation stock of the Morgans. May be a bit of "$",would be good up your way and it's said they will walk at 12 miles an hr.all day .

J_T
11-04-2005, 08:33 AM
BC,

One thing about those that have a lifestyle with horses. They will generally treat you right and with respect, and they will welcome your questions and almost always help you over the hurdles. Great group of people.

A little different than hunters that won't share trade secrets or honey holes.

Sounds like you're going after it right with the infrastructure. Keep em comfy, keep em happy.

JT