PDA

View Full Version : Meager Creek FSR

harbinger
10-31-2005, 11:30 AM
So the wife is prego and due in 5 weeks so I am effectively chained to the house and don't get to go out for any trips for the rest of the year.:frown:
I am going to sneak out while she is at work this week and check out the Meager Creek FSR. Anyone willing to help a brother out w/ where to go to find a nice buck to whack? The problem I have is that i don't really have any time to do much recon so that is why I am asking... I know it is hard to give up any good spots. If I shoot something I'l give a nice piece of backstrap to whoever helped me out!

lapadat
10-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Harbinger,

I believe you may be SOL if you want to cruise Meager Ck. The mainline bridge over Meager was washed out a couple of years back and Min of Forests has not replaced it to date. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You could try going up the Duffy Lake Rd towards Lillooet or even the Gun Lake area.

Lapadat

Rob
10-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Where do you live? how far are you willing to drive?

Byson
11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I know pemberton real good I could show you a few good spots

Byson
11-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Here is one little Spot for you when you come off the main valley rd you drive across a bridge park there you will see a old trail that above the river this is the old tankqual trail forgive my spelling this is a Migration Trail from the Meager to Mckenzie Basin. If you find a good spot sit and have some paitience they will come

One Shot Willy
11-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Have hunted the area lots around Mckenzie Basin, got a nice 3x4 mule their last year.
Was in there earlier in the year, rut was not on, lots of tracks though.
It is thick county so try and find some open ground and sit down and wait they will walk in front of you, last years 3x4 taken at 10 yards, and I was making a ton of noise.
I am going up there this weekend, I will let you know how the action is.
You can also try the hurley if you have time.

Byson
11-03-2005, 06:04 PM
You can also try the hurley if you have time.The Meager is on you're way up the hurley the meager is left and the hurley is straight up the hill

Gateholio
11-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Meager Rd ins't open to privae traffic no whta thtey are doing that geothermal thing, as far as I know.

I dont hunt down there much anymore, but I probbaluy should, it's just a ;long way for me to go, as i am at the other end. Buthte deer do move up through there.:p

BCHunter
11-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Here is one little Spot for you when you come off the main valley rd you drive across a bridge park there you will see a old trail that above the river this is the old tankqual trail forgive my spelling this is a Migration Trail from the Meager to Mckenzie Basin. If you find a good spot sit and have some paitience they will come

I've seen this trail head but never checked it out, if i recall the backrd map book has a write up about this hike

harbinger
11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
thanks guys, i've hunted the area a fair bit and find the hunting pressure in the macenzie basin to be a little ridiculous. I was hoping for a little tidbit on where to hunt out beyond the hurley(past it on the meager FSR) PM me if you know of a juicy spot, I won't tell anyone...I promise...:roll: and there is backstrap in it for ya!:wink:

Byson
11-05-2005, 07:53 PM
I will be in the Meager this sunday I only have one deer tag left to fill

One Shot Willy
11-07-2005, 11:59 AM
I was in tankqual lake trail this weekend. Lots of Does not Bucks seen.

Is a good area also, but a hell of hike.

Gateholio
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
I went up to Mackenzie Basin on Sunday morning. Should be renamed "COyote BAsin" ;)

Deer are at the higher eevations, I saw plenty of tracks, only saw a doe, but I really didn't have too much time. Set out at 6am, back at the bottom by 10. If I coud have stayed all day, I bet I woud have seen some action.:biggrin:

I saw lots of hunters and trucks on the way out, too..:D