PDA

View Full Version : Spring Island goose hunt 14 Feb 09

Marc
02-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Second time out for the spring goose season here on the Island. Had an amazing morning out with Field Marshal and his grandson James. We had James on the goose flute giving us some murmurs while Field Marshall and I coxed them in the last 100 yards.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/the_gang_2.jpg

First bird visited the spread and hit the ground at 7:30am the last bird in our two man limit hit the ground by 9:00am It was fast and furious and Marshall loved every minute of it. I finally managed to pull off a double on geese today.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_goose.jpg

I was telling field Marshall that I think we spent more time setting up and taking down then we actually did hunting. Great to get into the birds but it would be nice if the flocks didn't come in 2 minute intervals :lol:

Oh, we might be looking for a pack mule to take with us. :mrgreen:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/wheelbarrow.jpg

I was using an improved cylinder this morning that I had left in since the last duck hunt but after having to double shoot the first couple of birds I changed it out for the modified choke. The Birds where well within 30 yards but with the bigger shot size the patter had to many holes in with the Improved Cylinder. I started hitting and dropping bird with one shell after that including my first double on geese. :mrgreen:

Dont mean to toot my own horn here but Mr Marshall has been having an awesome season. One of the geese we couldn't find right away and we spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure where he went when we found some blood in the snow. Put Marshall on it and it took him to a creek where he spooked the goose out and into another field. Well crap there was a creek and I had ankle boots. There was black berry briars along the edge where the goose was crossing the creek so I ended up having to take the dog down about 100 yards where there was a log to cross. Got back into the second field and the goose was B-lining it for a field we didn't have permission to shoot. I pointed marshall in the direction of the bird and told him to fetch. I don't think he could see him a t first as he was trying to pick up the scent but then noticed it running on the snow. Marshall then put on the chase and tackled the goose about 10 yards before he got into a field we didn't have permission! He pins the goose to the ground and looks back at me as to say well are you comming?, Im hunched over trying to catch my breath, fetch it up! He comes back the 100 yards with the cripple goose and I ring it's neck.

Now the plucking and gutting begins!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_I_14_Feb_09.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Haha I've seen the old wheelbarrow trick a few times. Nice limit of big ol' honkers right there.

thunderheart
02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
great time had by all it looks .. i have never had wild goose .. had a few fishy ducks tho .. i bet they are good eating ..

branthunter
02-14-2009, 04:35 PM
That's a great pic of Marshall on the retrieve Marc---and I confess how amazed I am at what great waterfowling is to be had on the Island. I've had a few good duck shoots with a friend on a private club but there are obviously lots of other areas where good shooting can be had.

sneg
02-14-2009, 06:55 PM
good job Marc,congrats

Marc
02-14-2009, 07:08 PM
That's a great pic of Marshall on the retrieve Marc---and I confess how amazed I am at what great waterfowling is to be had on the Island. I've had a few good duck shoots with a friend on a private club but there are obviously lots of other areas where good shooting can be had.

We were actually surprised at the amount of bird that came in to the spot we were at. A lot of the birds have spread out since the snow has moved out.

We could hear another group of Goose Hunters in the distance sounding like at least 2 if not 3 shooters who where doing a good amount of shooting as well. I'm wondering if it's not HuntNHooksports in another location?

I wouldn't say that there is "lots" of good areas. There are pockets of good areas on private land that hold birds. I can't remember who told me but I heard that the resident population of Giant Canada's on the Island increased by something like 20% last year. People are complaining about geese crapping in the golf courses, playgrounds, and ball fields but they keep making it harder and harder to control them by limiting access to where they hang out to hunt them.

Duck Buster
02-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Congrats on a great shoot Marc, I got 4 down where we were the other day. No pic's since my wife had the camera. It took me till 1100 though. then I had enough. Oh let me know about that wild game thing on the 21'st I would love 2 tickets if you still have them.

Sasquatch
02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a great hunt. Would have loved to see the dog retrieve that cripple.
There is something special about watching your dog chase down game that would be otherwise lost.

Islandeer
02-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Nice Marc!! See you have Marshall all wired up !

Marc
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a great hunt. Would have loved to see the dog retrieve that cripple.
There is something special about watching your dog chase down game that would be otherwise lost.

I was quite proud of him actually it's his first year and he hasn't had to chase many lost birds this fall, this probably being his 4th which 3 were found so he's doing extremely well for his first season. (We lost a duck opening day but it was more my fault for not marking the fall properly as the dog didn't see the bird fall.)

I don't know what I enjoy more, taking the birds or watching the excitement in the dogs face as the birds work the decoys. He gets so excited when the guns go off and the birds start to fall. Now that I'm hunting over a dog again I can't imagine hunting birds without one.

field marshal
02-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Regarding the Brant hunters post
I have been gunning the Cowichan and Chemainus drainages
for 57 straight years. My Native ancestors for millenia my white
roots since 1850. Hunting is surprisingly better now than when
I was a child.If you even saw a Canada goose never mind harvest one
it was a big deal. There are more refuges here now thus attracting and
holding the migration. Finding the hotspots is all part of this Wildfowl
addiction. I live for the joy of teaching my grandchildren this lifestyle.
Sadley a few of my old pals are infirm and missing all the great action.
Luckily there are younger addicts like Marc out there to fill the void
even if he is an easterner. I really enjoy everyones posts and pics
especially from guys like Branthunter and Gunner who are obviously
from the old school like myself.Can not wait for that magic day in the
duck blind again when a cold November norther comes screaming down
from the Charlottes. Cheers the Field Marhal.

kyleklassen
02-14-2009, 11:36 PM
all that talk and no mention of the stany. the most important part of a hunt.

porcupine
02-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Congrats on a great goose shoot. Glad to see fewer honkers around for breeding season. I hope you gave Marshall an extra cookie tonight.
________
Chevrolet Lumina specifications (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Lumina)

Marc
02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Congrats on a great goose shoot. Glad to see fewer honkers around for breeding season. I hope you gave Marshall an extra cookie tonight.

He had cookies and hot chocolate that morning. Marshall got into the food cooler while we were concentration on looking for birds I could hear him eating something and I asked what is the dog into? Sure enough he had his head in the cooler eating James cookies :mrgreen:. While we we're out fixing the blind, Mr Marshall was a bit thirsty, after having all those feathers in his mouth, and decides to have a drink of James hot chocolate that he had placed on the ground when the birds were coming in.:mrgreen:

It's kind of nice when you get home, feed the dog, and he settles right down on his bed content because he's had a fun and busy day. I weighed the 5 geese I took home and the average weight per bird was 10 1/2 lbs. The dog picked them up and brought them back no problem. This breed truly shines above when handling the bigger birds. He did spend most of the day wet even though we were hunting out of a field with a few puddles in it :mrgreen:, this dog truly loves waterfowl hunting and it's environment.

Sasquatch
02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't know what I enjoy more, taking the birds or watching the excitement in the dogs face as the birds work the decoys. He gets so excited when the guns go off and the birds start to fall. Now that I'm hunting over a dog again I can't imagine hunting birds without one.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know how many birds I never even got a shot at, because I was so busy admiring my dog.

If I didn't have a dog, I would give up bird hunting for sure.

HuntNHookSports
02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
We could hear another group of Goose Hunters in the distance sounding like at least 2 if not 3 shooters who where doing a good amount of shooting as well. I'm wondering if it's not HuntNHooksports in another location?

It wasn't us yesterday, but the amout of hunters this year on private land is way up from last year.

If I didn't have a dog, I would give up bird hunting for sure.

Ditto

dutchie
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Man I wish that i had someone to take me out hunting when I was James' age!

I always love seeing pictures of the kids on hunts or being on hunts with them. I am 23 years old but watching kids learn and play with the "big boys" is always cool!

Congrats on an awsome shoot, to all 4 of you!

dutchie