PDA

View Full Version : lynx in the backyard

ROEBUCK
02-14-2009, 02:02 PM
went out this morning.for a couple of hours predator calling, no luck this time but on my way home at the back of my house i seen some lynx tracks among the snow shoe hare tracks.my property is full of snow shoe hares ,so i always expected a lynx may be around.im gona be doing the trapping course soon and plan on trying to trap one next season!was gona use a live trap with a bath sponge soaked in lynx piss!any of you trappers ever tried this?

yukon john
02-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I had a guy come hunting with me, he was from germany and owned a large parcel of forest for hunting and trapping they outlawed leg hold traps there and he said although there were lots of lynx(or their very similar version) they were to smart for live traps. I did hear of a way to catch them that apparently was widely used up north. you make a teepee out of 5-6ft saplings and leave a few poles out for a small entrance and exit next hang a feather on a string in the center about 12 inches of the ground, traps go in the entrance and exit and cat piss in 1 or 2 places outside theoretically the cat circles it a couple times before curiosity gets the best of him and he has to find out what that feather is doing wham curiosity kills the cat. I am no expert but I have known a few if anyone has tried this and been successful or unsuccessful please post your two cents thanks

proguide66
02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
My trapping course instructor was contracted to live catch lynx from B.C. for export to Colorado. He used a simple wood frame box with chicken wire sides/top/ends and a sliding door...same as a bear trap..chickens and deer meat for bait in the end...he caught them regularly.
Lynx and bobcats are actually not 'that' intelligent as most other predators. They as well rarely live past 3 yrs old !!

Jelvis
02-14-2009, 03:55 PM
My uncle who lived in the north thompson valley knew more about the bush and the local wild animals then Dr. Doolittle and he told me some trappers did'nt use bait for wild cats, just used a silver shiny paper hanging by a string, lynx or bob would walk up on a moon lit night and reach out for the reflector and WHAM!
Jelly-shiny tinfoil bobbing and twisting on a string in the bright moonlight-BAM! Cats are very curious he said, Fred.
Believe It. Or Not?-------POW!

proguide66
02-14-2009, 04:01 PM
My uncle who lived in the north thompson valley knew more about the bush and the local wild animals then Dr. Doolittle and he told me some trappers did'nt use bait for wild cats, just used a silver shiny paper hanging by a string, lynx or bob would walk up on a moon lit night and reach out for the reflector and WHAM!
Jelly-shiny tinfoil bobbing and twisting on a string in the bright moonlight-BAM! Cats are very curious he said, Fred.
Believe It. Or Not?-------POW!

Same as 'human felines'.show em something shiny -- BAM ..easy catch.....:biggrin:

sparkes3
02-14-2009, 06:23 PM
lynx house