PDA

View Full Version : Bighorns East of the Thompson Rv?

kennyj
02-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I noticed on the back of the latest Wild Sheep Society magazine,a photo of some bighorn rams from the Highland Valley copper mine area south of Logan lk.Anyone now anything about these sheep.I didn't know they had crossed the Thompson Rv.
kenny

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2009, 09:09 PM
They can swim the Fraser so I would imagine that the Thompson is not a major obstacle.
I did hear they were on the east side a couple of years ago.

One dandy ram, that's for sure:cool:.

SSS

MattB
02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
My boss' dad took some pics of the rams on that side, there are some nice sheep in there! They dont ever go as high as HVC but i guess you can see them near where HVC has their water intake in the Thompson.

Lil Buck
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
They walked across the bridge in spences around 6 years ago ..the big one I think is dead now ? but not for sure info on that one.A familiar looking ram for sure.

02-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Confirmation guys from a manager of the region.
You bet, a group has crossed the Thompson River. First time I heard it a couple years back from a friend I thought he was full of hoooey, then asked my buddy and yes it's true.
Lets hope they can thrive with out being poached. Who knows maybe with a little transplant help we may have a heard large enough to support a hunt some day.
CT

boxhitch
02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
The numbers on the east are estimated anywhere from 70 to 100 sheep.
They do get up to Highland Copper and around east above the Nicola.

There have been some of these harvested already. That doesn't surprise me one bit.

mark
02-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I was under the impression there has been sheep on the east side for quite some time! Ive seen 20- 30 in the farm fields at the bottom of the ashcroft hill before. With 70 -100 why couldnt we have a draw or 3????? Or why not an open season????

02-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Box hitch, are you saying there have been harvests by Native's or poached.
There is No season in 3-18 or 3-13 GOS or LEH. so what is it that you mean?
CT

MattB
02-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Ive heard of natives shooting them, not sure if its true or not though. And no, they dont go as high as HVC! Not sure whats making people think this, i have kept an eye on the mine and know sheep havent ever ventured on the mine site!

Muleycatcher
02-14-2009, 09:45 AM
I've seen them in a field across the river from the rock cut just past martel. Also heard from a friend that lives in SB that he has heard of seven illegal rams taken last year alone.

MattB
02-14-2009, 10:32 AM
I've seen them in a field across the river from the rock cut just past martel. Also heard from a friend that lives in SB that he has heard of seven illegal rams taken last year alone.

The thing that surprises me about the shooting of the illegal rams is that they have pictures showing hunters what a legal ram is at every road that heads into the sheep hunting area! If illegal rams continue to get shot, i say they start charging (And increasing the charges) the people that are dumb enough to be shooting illegal rams!

mark
02-14-2009, 10:41 AM
The thing that surprises me about the shooting of the illegal rams is that they have pictures showing hunters what a legal ram is at every road that heads into the sheep hunting area! If illegal rams continue to get shot, i say they start charging (And increasing the charges) the people that are dumb enough to be shooting illegal rams!

Hey matt, any ram shot on the east side of the thompson is an illegal ram, there is no hunting of them there, but there should be!

yukon john
02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
dido I heard the same 1 was book quality and the Indian who shot him is applying for Boone and Crockett saying he shot it near venables

MattB
02-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I think the natives in ashcroft can shoot them on that side of the river. I have heard of this happening, but 2nd hand info.

boxhitch
02-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Box hitch, are you saying there have been harvests by Native's or poached (?).
Yes. .......

boxhitch
02-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I think the natives in ashcroft can shoot them on that side of the river.
Like they have boundaries ?

boxhitch
02-14-2009, 09:00 PM
i have kept an eye on the mine and know sheep havent ever ventured on the mine site!Probaly right. They may be closer to Tunkwa ;)

MattB
02-14-2009, 09:28 PM
LOL, yea sheep near tunkwa. Natives can only hunt in their traditional areas as far as i know. I believe they can get permission from other bands to hunt in other areas though.

Banks
02-15-2009, 10:55 AM
the sheep live in the mine in nov seed em with my own eyes have been there a while too