PDA

View Full Version : My 2008 Mule Deer Fiasco

Charger440
02-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Highway 1- Region 3

I drove out of the roadside motel at 6:30a.m. to scout a logging slash that I suspected was a coastal blacktail feeding area. Solo, no rifle; just my pack with lunch. The season opens for 4-points the next day.

Walked about 30 minutes up the steep path. Hawks were hunting small birds, diving through openings in trees, flushing them out and in hot pursuit. Fortunately, it had rained intermittantly during the week; bear, deer and coyote tracks crossed the path frequently, I was on to something good here.

The path terminated at a slash that was about 400 yards long and 175 yards wide with a tree patch in the middle. Berry bushes and forage plants were thick and perfect condition. Yep, classic 3rd year slash. I walked the perimeter and found deer droppings, tracks, and what appeared to be saplings that had been rubbed recently. I retraced my steps and headed back to the car with my hunting plan ready for the next day.

I had two rifles at the motel, a .270 Win chambered Weatherby with a 3X9 scope sited at 200 yards and a .308 M14. I chose the M-14, thinking it would be ideal for close quarter shots in the slash and a quick bear piece if required. I parked the car and loaded the clip. For safety, I did not chamber a round. It was a warm day and I overheated quickly humping up that path. I make it a habit to rest for a few minutes, put on a crawling sneek and chamber a round with the safety on but for some reason I kept walking at full steam to the opening, skylining myself. Big mistake!

Yes, in middle of the slash was four mature bucks! Two were Rocky Mountain mule deer, grey coated and well muscled with outstanding racks. The largest I would estimate at six years and the smaller at 4 years, both four pointers. The two blacktails, rusty brown both three pointers. All were in close association and feeding together. They looked at me. I hit the dirt immediately, cursing my stupidity and crawled behind an alder. To my astonishment they did'nt bolt but kept a slow browsing pace that took them down to the base of the slash. The wind died and it was quiet. I pulled out my bino's, scanned and located the largest muley about 125 yards off. He had stopped and was starring at me. We played hide-n-seek for about 10 minutes. I raised my rifle for a shot, eased off the safety and was going to take my deer of a life-time. My heart was pounding. Then I remembered. Nothin in the chamber. Meathead of the month award issued. An m-14 has a spring loaded rotational bolt. It makes a big KACHUNK when loaded. How long were these deer gonna give me! I had to commit now, so pushed the rifle up on a branch, grabbed the bolt and released it. I'm ashamed to say it jumped out of my hands, I bobbled it and it slid down the bank!

Still,they refused to run! I went to retrieve it and had to expose myself. That was the last straw. 25 minutes had now passed. The deer had enough of my buffoonery. Three leaps and all were gone into the trees. After seeing their rear ends departing, I blew a fuse. Yelled things I can't repeat here. I went back to the motel and replayed the day. No excuses, I #$@%$#$up

Next day, I got a mule deer in a different location with my .270. But, it was nowhere near the size and majesty of the monster buck.
Cheers

Rob
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
That sucks! 1st thing I do is chamber around and put the safety on when I start hunting. From my limited expierence in the woods, things have a tendency to happen very quickly when you spot a nice buck(or any buck:razz:)

dirtybucker
02-13-2009, 03:50 PM
good story, at least you still came home with a deer

RustyRipper
02-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Well on the brightside you did get a deer in the end and you learned something out of it! That's the best thing about mistakes is that it's very hard to forget them and so you learn not to make the same ones again. Good story!

humble hunter
02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
The bright side here is that you will only have to mull this over and over and over in your mind for another 6 months and 28 days. It will then be deer season again.:smile:

stanway
02-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Chalk it up to experience. We've all made mistakes and it makes you a better hunter by learning from them.

Cheers.

James

02-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Yah chalk it up to experience, we've all pulled dumb stunts at one time or another (mind you dropping the rifle over a bank is a pretty bad one...sorry to laugh).. When you do get that big bad boy next year it'll be all the sweeter.

I didn't know there were Blacktails in the Salmon Arm area.

Schutzen
02-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey aint experience a great teacher.
Prolly nearly every hunter on this site at one time or another has screwed up just as badly.
It happens.. you learn from it and move on.
Its great you posted the story, was glad to hear you got a consolation buck anyway.
Excellent story thank you for posting it.

Shooter
02-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Just be thankfull the next step after retrieving your rifle from down the bank wasn't firing a shot off at the big boy with a partially plugged barrell from the tumble.

bearhunter338-06
02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
you mean there is still deer out there with antlers. affter this season i didnt think there was

wolverine
02-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Some of the best lessons are the hardest ones to swallow. I feel for you because I did the same kind of thing about 16 yrs ago. Out on a week long hunt and the only thing I saw all week were moose that I couldn't shoot. On the last night on the way back to camp with barely enough light left I decided to stop at a spot that had been good to me in the past but had produced nothing this trip. It was about a ten acre slash with a pond at the back of it and it was in a big bowl. I just casually jumped out of my truck, no rifle in hand (should read: Dumb ass) and sauntered over to the rim of the bowl. Same shit. Out steps my shooter moose. By the time I sneaked back to the truck, got my rifle and got back to the edge, he was long gone. I have never gotten out of the truck without a gun but that night I did. I haven't since I'll tell you.

Big Lew
02-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for sharing. Most of us can relate! You should follow up with "Tell us your screw-up stories" I'll bet most everyone has one, maybe not as frustrating as yours, though.

BlacktailStalker
02-13-2009, 10:04 PM
It'll still be a good spot next year.
Now lets see a pic or you'll be banned :biggrin:

hunter1947
02-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Lessen learned ,the next time you will have everything the way you want it ,every one sooner or later has a mishap as the one you had.

You got a deer as for a learned lessen. ,congrats on the deer ,a pic of the deer you got would be nice to see ??.

Islandeer
02-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Prepare for what could happen. And go back next season. :cool:

lilhoss
02-14-2009, 09:40 AM
I don't care what doctor you go to,you'll never get anything to cure that buck "fever".That one of the reason's we all hunt.

Charger440
02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
The area I hunted was on the border of Region 2 and 3. (Read: being very vague here). I have plenty of good photo's of the muley, they were taken on an old school 35mm Canon with tripod. I bought a digital Sony Cyber-shot last week, for $88 at Shopper's. It will accompany me on every scouting and hunting trip from now on:mrgreen:

This area would be ideal for a trail cam. I saw no sign of other hunters, except for a horseman that turned around his mount about halfway up the trail. Even horses don't want up that punisher. If I don't get my grizzly tag(ouch) I'll go for black bear here.

Thanks for all the input.
Cheers