PDA

View Full Version : Can we hunt with the 12" barrel Dominion Outlaw in BC?

geologist
02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Are there any barrel length minimums in BC that would prohibit me from hunting rabbits or grouse in BC with a 12" barrell, SxS shotgun?

Gateholio
02-13-2009, 12:18 PM
It makes the cut, as BC hunting regs define handgun as "designed to perate with one hand or a barrel less than 12"

geologist
02-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks Gatehouse. Those blues better watch out next fall!

boxhitch
02-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Couldn't you use your other 'handy gun' ??

Elkhound
02-13-2009, 11:45 PM
I look forward to popping a few grouse with mine. lol

hunter1947
02-14-2009, 05:38 AM
What about the minimum length on a rifle barrel ,I think it is 19 inches is it not ???.

Clint_S
02-14-2009, 11:01 AM
A shotgun's not a rifle but it is a firearm so I'm not sure what applies there?

Gateholio
02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Overall length and a manufactured barrel is what applies here.

You can't take your existing shotgun or rifle and chop the barrel less than about 18", but if it's manufactured with an 8" barrel, and it meets overall length requirements, it's an unrestricted firearm.

rishu_pepper
02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Good explanation ^^

Johnnybear
02-14-2009, 12:42 PM

You can't take your existing shotgun or rifle and chop the barrel less than about 18", but if it's manufactured with an 8" barrel, and it meets overall length requirements, it's an unrestricted firearm.

What he said:-).

I believe my old Winnie trapper model had a 16" barrel and was legit.

bullmagnum
05-23-2009, 08:20 AM
so, the dominion outlaw is unrestricted? any ideas if its legal in the Yukon?

pikey
05-23-2009, 10:32 AM

When you say "chopped" do you mean as in not manufactured.

The reason I really want to clarify is that I have a family member who wants to take an old shotgun (28" barrel remmy) and put as short a barrel as he can on it for a fun gun. So the legal minimum barrel he could put on it would be 18"?

I would hate him to make a costly mistake.

Gateholio
05-23-2009, 02:00 PM
When you say "chopped" do you mean as in not manufactured.

The reason I really want to clarify is that I have a family member who wants to take an old shotgun (28" barrel remmy) and put as short a barrel as he can on it for a fun gun. So the legal minimum barrel he could put on it would be 18"?

I would hate him to make a costly mistake.

The regulations state that it can't be ALTERED to less than abotu 18"

I'd chop it to 18.5" to be safe, too short = prohibited.

You can look up the exact measurement in the Firearms Act

gamehunter6o
05-23-2009, 02:33 PM
"designed to perate with one hand or a barrel less than 12"
If the quote above is from the regulations, is it little wonder the public and the police have trouble understanding and interpreting the law.
I Googled 'perate' and the only reference was to Wikipedia and it had no clear answer to what that word means.:???:

EDIT, I got it Gates, you missed the O. O dear silly me.

sawmill
05-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I cut a mossburg pump 12 gage to 18.5 barrell and 28 inches over all,for a bear protection gun for salmon fishing.I was very carefull to make sure it was legal and it still got seised by the cops in a routine traffic stop.The guy kept saying"Thats what bankrobbers use!"They had to give it back to me 2 days later but told me I had to restock it.I laughed and said "why are you giving it back then?"They did not like my pistol grip.I thought I did a nice job on it,carved it myself out of black walnut.:confused:Scared them I guess.Besides,any self respecting bank robber uses Mac 10`s at least.Sawed offs are old school.

Micky Finn
05-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I cut a mossburg pump 12 gage to 18.5 barrell and 28 inches over all,for a bear protection gun for salmon fishing.I was very carefull to make sure it was legal and it still got seised by the cops in a routine traffic stop.The guy kept saying"Thats what bankrobbers use!"They had to give it back to me 2 days later but told me I had to restock it.I laughed and said "why are you giving it back then?"They did not like my pistol grip.I thought I did a nice job on it,carved it myself out of black walnut.:confused:Scared them I guess.Besides,any self respecting bank robber uses Mac 10`s at least.Sawed offs are old school.

I have an 18 1/4" Win. Model '97 that i had to leave with the RCMP in Clinton after a traffic accident (the only way out of town was the bus).
Not only did they return it without any problems but they did not even question it.

hunter1947
05-24-2009, 05:59 AM
What about an old 6.5 mossberg that was made back in the second word war it had a 17 inch barrel on it and it was manufactured to this length when they made them.