PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: what kind of hunting for me?

domyalex
02-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Hello to all,
soon-to-be-new-hunter here, I'm looking for the advice of the seasoned members :grin:
I have been around firearms (granpa was a waterfowl/rabbit hunter) but I never owned or practiced seriously, so I qualify as almost completely newbie.
I'm thinking of getting a 22lr (probably CZ 452) and learn my way with cottontails/squirrels/etc. After that... I have no idea what "kind" of hunting would be ideal for me.
I come from a motorcycle background and I'm used to the "little steps" approach to things, so I don't see myself hunting any big game for at least 1 or 2 years.
I'm in Richmond, BC; are there any not-too-far away areas for varmint/small game hunting around here? (I'm new to the area)
After the 22lr, I was considering perhaps a 204 or 223 to start practicing longer range / tougher targets. I'm also 5' 11", 150lbs, so I'm kind of recoil sensitive. Maybe a 7mm-08 later down the road...?
So, any suggestions?
Thx!

PS: and yes, I have read quite a bit around and know about CFSC, PAL and CORE... ;)

BigBanger
02-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Welcome to the site . 22 sounds like a good start .

hillclimber
02-13-2009, 07:47 AM
you should start off with a 22 and maybe ask some buddies of yours who have some differen't types of firearms and then see which calibre you like shooting the best and can handle the recoil best.

i started off hunting with a 22 and after a few years i went straight to a 30-06 and felt comfortable shooting it.

It all depends on you and what you feel comfortable shooting. Just don't buy a gun thats too big and that your scared of the recoil of.

Ruger4
02-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Be Careful !!!
Theres a big difference between seasoned and experienced !! Ha LOL !!
That's a can of worms and expect to get bombarded with many different opinions on makes , calibers etc. Your choice in .22 is a great start and it will be tough to find a better one than the CZ , see I've already gave you my opinion on your choice of gun, but I can back it up as I have (3) in different cals. Practice lots , hand eye co-ord and then move on........... just my opinion of course.

frenchbar
02-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Why wait a couple yrs to hunt big game , its not that tough to hunt deer ,head out of the rat hole,get yourself up country in sept ,head up any back road in the interior,and it will hold deer . go walk some cut blocks and such and you will be suprised what ya might see.As for a gun ,seeing your 150 pds ,get yourself a 308 norma mag,not much recoil lol. you have to learn sometime .Good on ya for getting into the sport.

BiG Boar
02-13-2009, 08:33 AM
If you are even considering hunting any big game this year. Which I would, there are lots of places to go for big game nearby, and lots of info on this site on how to plan a hunt, I would make sure you have your hunter number finished and in your hand in the next couple of months so you can apply for LEH. Some of these tags take years to get, and who knows you might get one this year. If not, at least you will be able to get a new hunters draw for doe whitetail. In which case you should have fun putting some meat in the freezer. Its not as hard as it may seem. However for guns, a good place to start would be buying a cheap 2nd hand 22 and spending the rest of the cash on a used 270 or a 308 or something. Then you can hunt this year too if you get any sweet Limited Entry Hunts.

jrjonesy
02-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Get yourself a 22 'cause everybody needs one and they're fun to plink with. Then, like everyone else says, get a deer rifle, spend the summer practicing and get out this fall.

I think a 308 is a great low recoil option. Wear ear protection when you practice! I'm assuming you haven't shot deer calibre rifles much if it at all. At lot of people new to shooting are much more intimidated by the loud bang than by the actual recoil of the rifle. Get rid of that loud bang and you'll find that recoil isn't that bad at all.

Do your research on what to do with a big game animal once its down. There's very little you can do wrong. Continue to use this site and ask questions. This summer (make sure your profile shows where you're from) ask for some help should you get a deer into the back of your truck. Hunter's love to share their knowledge. I just about guarantee you that if someone doesn't have the time to mentor you, there will be someone living nearby that will offer to meet you at your place to help you and give you tips on skinning, etc and where to go from there.

domyalex
02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Thx for all the great replies!

I have to wait 5 more months untill I apply for my hunter license, as I just arrived in the province (would have to pay more otherwise). That's also why I was thinking about going after Schedule C animals for the first months.

So, I get it there's not much love around here for small game/varmint hunting? =P

I still don't have a truck... that'll be hard to sell to the wife...

MichelD
02-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Timing should be right for the fall.

Think seriously of deer hunting. I always see way more deer than rabbits or snowshoe hares.

kastles
02-13-2009, 04:55 PM
no truck, no worries. i hunt out of a mazda protoge. i will be riding out to the range to practice shooting when i get my bike on the road so if you want to do a ride through mission and then shoot a bit later in the spring/summer pm me.. what do you ride?

kastles

domyalex
02-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Currently bike-less at the moment as we just moved in. I used to ride sportbikes but considering the area I'll probably move to a DR-Z400 or similar.

What do you ride? I'm guessing there must be tons of DS trails around here...

Rifle, truck, bike... so many toys to have....! =D

kyleklassen
02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
best to just get out and start huntin for whatever is open at the time learn on the fly. always good thou to have someone there as a voice of reason. ( keep shootin' till the moose falls down. they don't often run towards the road.) lol.

KevinB
02-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I'll second all the other opinions about the CZ for a .22. They are well made and shoot well. I have one and I'm glad I bought it. And they won't break the bank.

As for a big game rifle, think about skipping the .223 - it can work well for deer but there are other choices that are probably better. Maybe go straight to something like a 7-08, a .308, or a .270. They won't recoil that bad, especially if you stick with bullets at the lighter end of the spectrum. I'm 5'8" and ~ 145 pounds and they are all totally fine for me. I have one of each as a matter of fact, so maybe I'm biased! The recoil varies a bit between them but not that much. .308's and .270's are a lot easier to find used if you want to go that route.

I wear double ear protection at the range - deci-damps, and then a pair of good muffs over those. And eye protection, that is a must as well. And, buy one of those cheapo slip-on rubber recoil pads, they will lengthen the pull a bit much but they sure will make the recail less painful, especially after 20 shots. Especially, as you sound like you're built like me, with your arm bones pretty close to the surface! (otherwise known as "skinny":razz:)

bc sportsman
02-13-2009, 07:58 PM
22LR is great, especially the CZ which is what I own. Consider taking your bride camping with you once you get your hunting number/license etc. Go in Sept to areas with grouse populations. Have a great time hunting whatever grouse you see in season. Wife enjoys the experience, cook her meals with grouse in wine and mushrooms.

Next year, graduate to a medium caliber rifle or even a bow...you don't need to start hunting big game with a rifle before trying out the bow. Bow hunting first will make you a far better rifle hunter...all around. Take a bow hunting course. You can also use a bow to hunt grouse and rabbit etc.

If you go with a rifle, any of the 270-7mm-30 cal non mags will do you well for the vast majority of game including grouse. You can even buy shell insert for some 30 cal cartridges that allow you to shoot 380 bullets out of the rifle when you need to pop a grouse. Cheaper than shooting a three dollar rifle bullet. Only downside is that you will likely need a Restricted firearms license to buy the 380 ammo. I'm not certain on that point.

lucky07
02-13-2009, 09:20 PM
your idea of taking small steps is good. I pretty well started off with a .300 win mag (I'm 5'10'', 155lbs) But I know how to shoot and manage my shoulder. Biggest thing is recoil management ... no flintching lol ... .22 is a great start and you'll never outgrow it. Every man (or woman) needs a .22 to wage war on squirrels when they hit their 80's.

domyalex
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I used to practice with the bow, even belonged to a club for a year or so :)

I have read that varmint hunting is a good training for big game hunting, as one gets used to the 200+ yds shots. Is it true? Are there any good spots in the Lower Mainland?

Glad to see basically everybody agreeing on the 22lr!

bc sportsman
02-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Don't rely on varmit hunting to improve your accuracy. How many varmits do you think you will be able to shoot at in BC in the 200 yd range?

Practice at a range and then when good, start changing shooting stances, positions etc.

Black Bird
02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I, too, am new to hunting. I got started last year and was invited by a family friend for a deer hunt this past October (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28127&highlight=Black+Bird)

It was a great trip and I learned a lot. One thing that I didn't take into account was how loud a rifle is. I first bought an old 151K Mossberg .22 in the Spring and had put about 250 rounds through it before I got my Savage 7mm Mag in the Fall. BOOM! Big difference!

I also have a motorbike (KLR 650) and have taken my .22 out up the logging roads up the 99 towards Squamish. I would like to get out and look for grouse with my .22 this fall but I have a feeling it will not compare with what I came across outside Kamloops.

I must say it feels a litle weird with a rifle slung over my shoulder (in a bag) driving on a motorbike. Mad Max anyone?

Cheers,
BB

000buck
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
a very seasoned old feller once offer me this advice

do not start with a .22 its too cheap to shoot and the tendancy will be to buy semi auto. Start with a 223 or a .17 something that you are going to think about pulling the trigger on.$$$$$ it will make you a better shot and teach you to discriminate over what you are shooting at. ALWAYS START WITH A BOLT ACTION SINGLE SHOT.

eaglesnester
03-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Get yourself a good 22 and a good 30/06. Remington 700 would be a good choice. For the 22 I would recommend a Marlin 39A. The Marlin is accurate, well made and you will be giving it to your grandkids and they will be giving it to their kids. The 06 does not kick that bad and it will take anything in North America with the exception of the great bears. (it will take em but not recommended) Learn to shoot and shoot well with the 22. You can become a deadly shot with just a little bit of coaching and 3000 rounds of 22 ammunition. Then go shoot the 06 on the range until you feel competent to use it in the field. Get yourself out there as another poster has said hunting deer, moose, bear, etc is not that difficult. Find yourself an experienced hunting partner that is willing to teach you and go for it.

moosetaken
03-10-2009, 03:07 PM
A good .22 is the best starting point but when you do decide to get a centrfire rifle remember that the fit is the most important thing. I've started my kids off with a .22 at the range then a .410 for thier 1st hunting season on grouse. Season 2 was with a bolt action 30.30 for deer. My son moved up to a .303 for his 3rd season and had his heart set on a bear which just didn't pan out. All of the guns were taken in and shortened up and had large recoil pads put on them. If a rifle or shotgun is too long or short for you you will feel the recoil way more and get flinchie. My son is now 13 and much as he has grown he is quite the beanpole putting biggest recoil pad on "his" rifle and making sure it didn't add too much to the lenth for him gave him the confidence to shoot it well. I got him a .303 cuz it was really cheap and I didn't want to cut down one of my nicer rifles until he's done growing plus maybe his sister will grow into that one or my nephews or someone elses kids. Keep in mind everyone needs a .22 a shotgun and a centerfire rifle to start off, but we can almost justify all the other stuff that multiplys in the gunsafe over the years.

Manglinmike
03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Dude buy the 22 in the CZ like you stated it well last a lifetime,and for shootin varmit,well you need to look at vermim insted,a 22 no matter the make is not enough gun,unless you are a caller.If you get a chance to get some privite land with ground squirrals,you well be hooked for life and wanting more velocity.I have the stainless sinthetic cz bolt 22 great gun ,and I also have a 222 rem. very very fun......sorry greenpeace.

domyalex
03-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Thx for the great replies people!

Upon double checking it seems like I have to wait a full year before being considered a BC resident under the wildlife act. Non BC residents hunting license is ~180 CAD and you need a registered guide for big game hunting --> not fun.
Guess it will be Schedule C for a while for me.

Another question: what's the average range you guys shoot deer in the lower mainland? I was thinking about getting a lever action in 30-30; according to my online research it should be good for up to 150 yds (200 with leverevolution). Good enough?
And no, I'm not asking about the effectiveness of the caliber (read WAY too many threads on the subject), just wondering about the avg range in this neck of the woods. ;)

kyleklassen
03-14-2009, 11:09 PM
A good .22 is the best starting point but when you do decide to get a centrfire rifle remember that the fit is the most important thing. I've started my kids off with a .22 at the range then a .410 for thier 1st hunting season on grouse. Season 2 was with a bolt action 30.30 for deer. savage 340?

eaglesnester
03-15-2009, 01:00 PM
A large percentage of your shots will be undertaken at 50 yards or less. Very seldom will you be making 250 yard shots. They do however pop up every once in a while and you should be prepared for them and carry a weapon that will get er done. With all of the clear cutting that has been done in B.C. the opportunities for the longer shots are becoming more and more of a possibility. I would choose the Leverevolution, have heard nothing but good about them and you got the horsepower if you need it.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

dutchie
03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I am going to agree with 000Buck on the .22 idea.

If money is an issue for you right now why waste it on a gun that you know you will need to sell to buy the .223?

I think a .270 would be a better gun to go with. Walmart has cheep ammo for it, you will learn to shoot with a gun that will take anything other then Grizz or Bison. and it is about $13 bucks for 20 shots!!

I would save your money because you will grow out of that .22 too quick and will just loose money on it.

Dutchie