PDA

View Full Version : truth in the snow

horshur
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0479.jpg

This was a fresh kill this morning it was not here yesterday morning consumed in a night..a young buck.

What do you suppose killed it by judging the pics????

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0481.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0484.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0485.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0486.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0487.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0483.jpg

GoatGuy
02-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Snowmobile?

RustyRipper
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
That's quite the kill! need to get CSI on that one. Interesting tracks...looks like the birds have all but cleaned it right up.

BiG Boar
02-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Samsquatch by the look of things.

3kills
02-13-2009, 08:09 AM
wolves or yotes

frenchbar
02-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Looks like a lion kill,how far did they or it drag it .

Ruger4
02-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I'd have to agree with Frencbar on this one , looks like the cat was dragging that deer around a bit , looking for a place to bury it , coyotes normally eat it where they find em........ that cat will be back for a look see in a week or so , if he's not still around , they do have a circuit they stick with , looks like the birds and coyotes pretty much finished this one off.

frenchbar
02-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Probably got him in the thicker trees,most lions like to do their hunting through the night. Are those bite mark on the top of his neck ,hard to tell from the pic.

horshur
02-13-2009, 09:24 AM
If it was a lion I'd have caught it...

pack of coyotes...you can follow the deal for a km...chunks of hair...Our deer are yarded up pretty thick due to deep snow..the smaller deer are struggling and this one gave up.

last pick is pretty lousy but it is of the tail angels made in the snow by the yotes wagging hard waiting there turn.

The last big snow year that I was living in Little fort the coyotes packed up some as well...I don't have a memory for numbers but the one I saw on the powerline was at least a half dozen...

pretty sure they were packed up some late winter last year as well by the number of dead fawns but the snow was mostly gone then down low(march)
the coyotes are running on top now.

They ate that deer in a night...I wonder how many yotes does it take to eat a deer in a night?

bigwhiteys
02-13-2009, 09:27 AM
pack of coyotes...you can follow the deal for a km...chunks of hair...Our deer are yarded up pretty thick due to deep snow..the smaller deer are struggling and this one gave up.

Yeah it looked to me like a pack of wolves as they sure picked the carcass clean... It's my understanding a cat may not do that in a night... and save some for later...?

They sure made short work of him!

Carl

frenchbar
02-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Shows ya what i know:oops: The most i seen together was 6 ,i would think a few could eat a lot in a night.

horshur
02-13-2009, 09:34 AM
carl, cats are more discreet like frenchbar said...in the thick and will drag it if they feel exposed to a more discreet spot..

bigwhiteys
02-13-2009, 09:44 AM
carl, cats are more discreet like frenchbar said...in the thick and will drag it if they feel exposed to a more discreet spot..

Would one lone cat devour a deer like that in one night...? Those yotes wasted next to nothing!

Carl

frenchbar
02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
I figured it might be a female and a couple yr and a half old cubs.

horshur
02-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Would one lone cat devour a deer like that in one night...? Those yotes wasted next to nothing!

Carl

A female with large kits might need to kill a couple times a week if she is just getting fawns...

bigwhiteys
02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
A female with large kits might need to kill a couple times a week if she is just getting fawns...

That would make sense... Thanks Andy.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2009, 11:12 AM
So get your howler or fawn-in-distress call out and thin them out.

Great action for the kids:smile:.

I know it's hard to think yotes when you're thinking cougar.

SSS

Chuck
02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Samsquatch by the look of things.

See the snapped off trees? That's my guess too - they are very clever.

MIL720
02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
sorry about the mess.....I was hungry..

hunter1947
02-14-2009, 06:14 AM
What I think happened is the deer might have been dead or almost dead from winter starvation or illness.

Then a pack of yots came along and had supper.
There might have been 5 or 6 in the pack.

With the snow having a hard crust on it during the night time its hard to make out any tracks yots are not that heavy.

SteadyGirl
02-14-2009, 08:33 AM
That buck was a max of sixty lbs so I would guess six coyotes or less. I thought coyotes as well because of the way the hide is rolled back instead of ripped into shreds.. pretty cool you could see the happy buggers tail marks from wagging away waiting thier turn

horshur
02-14-2009, 08:44 AM
What I think happened is the deer might have been dead or almost dead from winter starvation or illness.

Then a pack of yots came along and had supper.
There might have been 5 or 6 in the pack.

With the snow having a hard crust on it during the night time its hard to make out any tracks yots are not that heavy.

the deer had not been dead or almost dead..this practicaly occured in my yard..bugger was almost a pet.

they ran him down off the hill and just pushed him out of the run into the deeper snow...even the mature deer are not good for more than a couple jumps when off of a run.

500grhollowpoint
02-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Wow what area are you in?

MattB
02-14-2009, 10:41 AM
From what ive heard, coyotes and wolves will pick a carcass apart and scatter the bones as they tend to carry some away with them. A lion will pretty much leave the carcass intact and pic away at the meat leaving the bones somewhat intact and in the same area. Not sure if this is true or not, but seems to make sense!

Clint_S
02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey Andy

I'm surprised you say you've got so much snow. Here in the WK we have half what we should and I'm worried my creek may dry up this summer if we don't get so precip. My son went snow caving on Wednesday and where there was 3 meters last year there is 1.4m to 1.6m.
Deer are doing fine here as well, I was up on a wintering grounds yesterday and there must have been over 100 muleys in a small area and the ones I glassed looked pretty healthy.

proguide66
02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
I'll 'bet the farm' that is no wolf kill....check out the wolf trapping thread , last page for detailed pics of whats left from a wolf killed deer.;)...

rollingrock
02-14-2009, 12:44 PM
The last wolf kill of a young buck I saw looked pretty different from this one. Dogs like the guts and the hinder part of their game. They start from the back end of their kill. Usually will leave the front part there. They do drag the game a bit. But like Matt said the bones will scatter around. This was a very clean carcass.

ianwuzhere
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
wow good pix- i seen a pack of 8+ wolves last weekend- was unable to get a shot off. seeing tracks every lake i go to. if not wolf trax then coyotes. sure are lots of them around pg lately...
thanx for postin the pix..

horshur
02-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey Andy

I'm surprised you say you've got so much snow. Here in the WK we have half what we should and I'm worried my creek may dry up this summer if we don't get so precip. My son went snow caving on Wednesday and where there was 3 meters last year there is 1.4m to 1.6m.
Deer are doing fine here as well, I was up on a wintering grounds yesterday and there must have been over 100 muleys in a small area and the ones I glassed looked pretty healthy.

14 years I haven't seen this much snow..

you don't have to go very far south to get out of it but here localy some of our deer are sucking wind mostly the little buggers....seen a group of bucks yesterday..one big old shed out boy I know well and he looked fine though i never seen him so low down.