PDA

View Full Version : Your Worst Nightime Nightmare

proguide66
02-12-2009, 09:12 PM
This was emailed to em today.......dude was in a tent in the NWT...bear dove in , he keeps his 'shit together' shoots it............:shock:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/pbear3.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/pbear5.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/pbear1.jpg

proguide66
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/pbear2.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/pbear4.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/pbear6.jpg:eek::|:|:|

thunderheart
02-12-2009, 09:19 PM
a cool hand luke for sure .. this guy is THEE survivor man

houndogger
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
That one has been around awhile. Still looks like it hurt like hell:o

Johnnybear
02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
That one has been around alot but boy I would hate to be that guy. The story that went with it was wild. Did all that damage in a flash.

huntwriter
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
This has been around for a year or so. In fact I was one of the first to report about this incident on my hunting blog. He sure was a lucky guy and I am glad it was not me. I once got mauled by three lions almost lost my arm…but that's a different story. Still have nightmares about it once in a while.

proguide66
02-12-2009, 09:45 PM
This has been around for a year or so. In fact I was one of the first to report about this incident on my hunting blog. He sure was a lucky guy and I am glad it was not me. I once got mauled by three lions almost lost my arm…but that's a different story. Still have nightmares about it once in a while.
Serious ??????.........

02-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Prime example on why to keep your act together when your success comes through on the LEH for Grizz Bear, sure wouldn't want to be or look like that dude, unreal that he kept it together and still got the bear. OWCH!!!
CT

huntwriter
02-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Serious ??????.........

I made a living, a dam good one too, as an animal behaviorist for over 30 years. My specialty was improving animal training methods (specialty tigers, elephants and horses) and husbandry systems, suchas zoos and safari parks.

Traveled all over the word doing that and was instrumental in building the largest safari park in the world in China and training their staff. Even got a zoological school named after me in China. (lol)

Anyway, one day I showed an animal trainer what to do and came between three lions that had the hots for a female. It took only two or three minutes for them to tear me to shreds, big gashing wounds on my legs, head, arms and back. When it was over I wanted nothing more then a hot coffee and a cigarette but the arm wouldn’t move it was then that I realized it was hanging on a muscle thread from my body. Found out later after the first operation that parts of my guts were hanging in the fresh air too and that, that bloody lump bugling in my shirt turned out to be the liver.

Took ten operations just to put everything back where it belongs and six more to get my arm and fingers moving again. Still can’t move the fingers when it is cold outside and have no knuckles on the left hand plus several artificial bones in my arm and fingers. The upside of that is I can’t get arthritis in those fingers.

I still have not much of a recollection of how I got away and witness reports differ a bit. I don’t care about it, somehow, and with help from others, I got out of it and I am well. That happened 25 years ago tomorrow. I know one thing for sure, things like that give you a different outlook on life you don’t sweat the petty little shit anymore, you’re just happy to be alive and enjoy every dam minute of it. That’s why at times I can get a tad pissed off when hunters squabble about petty little stuff while missing the big picture.

Gilmore
02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
This has been around for a year or so. In fact I was one of the first to report about this incident on my hunting blog.

These photos made their way into my inbox at least 3 years ago, maybe more. These have definetly been around for more than a year or so, your blog may be a little out of date.

Edit: The attack took place on Sept. 2 2003 in Nunavut on Baffin Island. Guides name was Kootoo Shaw, he was guiding 3 American hunters and it was one of those hunters that actually shot the bear off of the guide.

mike_b
02-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Never seen this; where can I read the story?

Johnnybear
02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
These photos made their way into my inbox at least 3 years ago, maybe more. These have definetly been around for more than a year or so, your blog may be a little out of date.

Edit: The attack took place on Sept. 2 2003 in Nunavut. Guides name was Kootoo Shaw, he was guiding 3 American hunters and it was one of those hunters that actually shot the bear off of the guide.

That's what I read also. Wasn't the guy attacked that shot the bear.

proguide66
02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I made a living, a dam good one too, as an animal behaviorist for over 30 years. My specialty was improving animal training methods (specialty tigers, elephants and horses) and husbandry systems, suchas zoos and safari parks.

Traveled all over the word doing that and was instrumental in building the largest safari park in the world in China and training their staff. Even got a zoological school named after me in China. (lol)

Anyway, one day I showed an animal trainer what to do and came between three lions that had the hots for a female. It took only two or three minutes for them to tear me to shreds, big gashing wounds on my legs, head, arms and back. When it was over I wanted nothing more then a hot coffee and a cigarette but the arm wouldn’t move it was then that I realized it was hanging on a muscle thread from my body. Found out later after the first operation that parts of my guts were hanging in the fresh air too and that, that bloody lump bugling in my shirt turned out to be the liver.

Took ten operations just to put everything back where it belongs and six more to get my arm and fingers moving again. Still can’t move the fingers when it is cold outside and have no knuckles on the left hand plus several artificial bones in my arm and fingers. The upside of that is I can’t get arthritis in those fingers.

I still have not much of a recollection of how I got away and witness reports differ a bit. I don’t care about it, somehow, and with help from others, I got out of it and I am well. That happened 25 years ago tomorrow. I know one thing for sure, things like that give you a different outlook on life you don’t sweat the petty little shit anymore, you’re just happy to be alive and enjoy every dam minute of it. That’s why at times I can get a tad pissed off when hunters squabble about petty little stuff while missing the big picture.
HO- LY - SHIT :shock: !!

Johnnybear
02-12-2009, 11:27 PM

That's just hardcore what do you say to that right there.

I feel for you Hw and what you have been through. I hope I never experience something like that in my lifetime. Wow:shock:.

huntwriter
02-12-2009, 11:48 PM

Or I forgot when I posted it, could be three years ago I don't know. I usually get the news feeds from Reuter media service and if I find it relevant to hunting or fishing I write about the latest news post it and forget about it. It could be that I wrote about three years ago but I do remember that picture with the guys chewed up back, because it reminded me of one they took of my back in the hospital.

huntwriter
02-13-2009, 12:01 AM
That's just hardcore what do you say to that right there.

That was the worst but over the years a herd of stampeding wildebeest trampled on me, I had my rib gage crushed to splinters by a angry rodeo bull. At one time a tiger attacked the elephant I was riding on in the jungle of Burma and so it went on. Never a dull moment. My wife traveled with me for five years and then she demanded lovingly that I retire. I don’t blame her.:-D

Johnnybear
02-13-2009, 12:07 AM
That was the worst but over the years a herd of stampeding wildebeest trampled on me, I had my rib gage crushed to splinters by a angry rodeo bull. At one time a tiger attacked the elephant I was riding on in the jungle of Burma and so it went on. Never a dull moment. My wife traveled with me for five years and then she demanded lovingly that I retire. I don’t blame her.:-D

Speechless:shock:.

hunter1947
02-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Someone had emailed this to me months ago ,this hunter was one lucky person to still be alive.

BiG Boar
02-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I have a new found respect for huntwriter, even if he makes up copywrite laws. Awsome dude.

proguide66
02-13-2009, 08:33 AM
'retired' ?..hmm...with those adventures 'racked up' , what does a guy do for a good 'jolt' now?...

huntwriter
02-13-2009, 10:12 AM
'retired' ?..hmm...with those adventures 'racked up' , what does a guy do for a good 'jolt' now?...

I miss it a bit to be honest but after more then 30 years of traveling and living out of suit cases and hotel rooms I looked forward to a quieter life. Part of what I enjoyed most about that work was teaching people and experiencing other cultures and making friends. This type of work has taught me more about humanity then anything else.

I have taken my profession and combined it with hunting, my other lifelong passion, and make a living as outdoor writer, seminar speaker and hunting strategy consultant. Over the years I have studied my favorite game species, whitetail deer and wild turkeys, combining hunting and animal behavior in my writing, seminars and consulting to improve hunters success rate.

I still serve as an animal behavior consultant to zoos, safari parks and animal training centers but I do not have to travel so much anymore. I still get my “jolt” by the simple fact that my knowledge has helped another person in some way to do better.

Seeing the glow in the eyes and witnessing the emotions of a young or new hunters when I take them out in the field on their first hunting trip gives me a huge jolt of happiness and satisfaction.

When I am surrounded by like minded people such as on a hunting seminar engaged in a meaningful discussion or just sitting together after the seminar exchanging stories and experiences I feel alive and vibrant and that gives me a jolt too. Life is short and wonderful. Sharing it with others and make a difference in their life is a thrill for me. Waking every morning up next to the most important person in my life gives me a “jolt” of joy too.

Which reminds me, it’s Valentines Day…dam I forgot it again. I got to go now.:redface:

Gateholio
02-13-2009, 11:22 AM
My worst nightmare was being awoken in the middle of the night by a lunatic while I was sleeping peacefully in a small cabin in the bush. He was screaming at me, demanding I give him my shoes!!":shock:

johnes50
02-13-2009, 11:23 AM

I just read your threads. All I can say is Holy Crap!

It sounds like you had an animal/wildlife lovers dream job, but at a very high personal cost.

Kudos to you. John

My nightmares always involve being chased by bears. I used to chase bears out of campgrounds when I worked for Parks Canada in Jasper and now they're getting their revenge.:smile:

Gilmore
02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
More Polar bear attack pictures.

Caution: Quite GRAPHIC!!!!!:shock::shock:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/polarbear-1.jpg

Rob
02-13-2009, 01:24 PM
More Polar bear attack pictures.

Caution: Quite GRAPHIC!!!!!:shock::shock:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/polarbear-1.jpg

That guy must be HUGE! That bear must stand 6' at least!!:razz:

Ehv
02-13-2009, 01:38 PM
HW; why would anyone, so accomplished, be teaching someone else how to come between 3 lions that have the hots for a female?
You probably should have had Yappy Doodle along for back-up.

cainer
02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, that's a story for Friday the 13th if ever I've heard one. I don't know what to say, HW-But I guess happy valentines day has real meaning for you- Yer still alive!

MichelD
02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Mine was last night. I dreamt my wife had sextuplets.

GoatGuy
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Now that there is a story.

hunterofthedeer
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
isnt this the same attack when the guy shot himself in the ankle? i seen a pic of a guy with a hole in the leg from a shot trying to protect himself from a polar bear

huntwriter
02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
HW; why would anyone, so accomplished, be teaching someone else how to come between 3 lions that have the hots for a female?

Because sometimes stuff just happens no matter how careful and good you are at what you're doing. Other times it can happen when you have to pay equal attention to what you’re doing and to the one you teach. In this case I let my full concentration slip for just one second and that was all that was needed for the lions to take advantage of an opportunity.

It's like asking why did the hunter come between the bear mother and the cub? Sometimes it just happens without realizing it and if you're lucky you come out alive and learned another lesson.:smile: