PDA

View Full Version : Blacktails rutting?

B
10-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Has anybody seen any rut activety in blactails yet? The location that we hunt is inside the fraser valley, lots of deer but want to try to get something big with minumim disruption to the rancher(he has to open his gate) everytime we go.

ruger#1
10-30-2005, 02:41 PM
hey b the bucks are chaseing the does here in mission. not to far from my place there was a three point chaseing a couple of does.

Thunderstix
10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
hey b the bucks are chaseing the does here in mission. not to far from my place there was a three point chaseing a couple of does.
That does not neccesarily mean the rut is on. Could be though.

Steeleco
10-30-2005, 04:30 PM

And he's still alive???

ruger#1
10-30-2005, 05:03 PM
sorry dave .he is in a no shooting zone, way to close to the prison for me to be hunting.

huntersdad
10-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey
as with all teenagers, there is a lot of chasing but little action. I think the big boys will be arriving in Mid Nov.

outdooorsman
10-30-2005, 07:13 PM
we got a solid 4X3 mature blacktail last week here in maple ridge. he had 3 does with him and that was a week ago. saw another 4 point here in the ridge totally locked onto a doe on saturday. could have got him with a big club but don't think the neighbours would like me. think the rut is starting to fire up here for sure, should peak around the 6th of nov i think down here.

huntersdad
10-31-2005, 07:07 AM
Hey
I noticed the moon phase this year is full around the 15th and was wondering how this was going to affect the rut? Also with this new moon Nov. 1st maybe the rut will end up in the middle, Nov 7th? Does anybody else watch the moon phase?

Thunderstix
10-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Hey
I noticed the moon phase this year is full around the 15th and was wondering how this was going to affect the rut? Also with this new moon Nov. 1st maybe the rut will end up in the middle, Nov 7th? Does anybody else watch the moon phase?
Nov 6-ish is when we go our island on the chuck and we have good success, but those suckers seem to never rut the same time...or even close some years.

ratherbefishin
10-31-2005, 07:21 AM
yup,the blacktail rut is in full swing,when you see mature bucks moving around in broad daylight,you know they are following does.I figure it peaks the end of October-right now.There was buck activety a month ago[minor early rut] and there will be another period of activety the end of November-and even the end of december,for does thatdidn't get bred.This seems to account for the few really big fawns,and really small fawns you see next fall

huntersdad
10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Hey
I too have noticed bucks following does in Oct right around my birthday on the 20th. A silly 3 point made that mistake. I always figured that a few older does came into heat early, hence the first rut. This was on or about the third week of Oct and the main rut was Nov. approx 3 weeks later. I too have seen bucks hound doggin does on the last day of deer season on Dec.,this was again 3 weeks later. I always figured this to be the old fawns and unbred does coming into heat. JMHO but it works for me.
Location within BC will probably affect the rut to some degree but I think it would be within a week or so across the province. Nov 15th was always our target date for hunting deer on the north end of Van Isle.

ratherbefishin
10-31-2005, 02:48 PM
I live in an area where I see deer every day and have the opportunity to monitor buck activety-and in the south island, the rut appears to peak the last week of October.Rattling and grunting even in the peak of the rut produced inconclusive results,sometimes completely ignored even when the buck was observed

Elkhound
10-31-2005, 04:48 PM
well the nice buck I got this weekend was on the 29th and he did not smell. He was with 5 does and his neck was just starting to swell up.

Sikanni Stalker
10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
sorry dave .he is in a no shooting zone, way to close to the prison for me to be hunting.

yeah no kidding , LOL

rock
10-31-2005, 07:45 PM
The big boys come out to play in the middle of nov, have seen a few bucks in the company of does, not all deer come into rut at once which spreads out the rutting period, even last years fawns which will come into estrus always later in the year.
I noticed activity in my back yard, they tend to use the horse trail for moving from one area to another.