PDA

View Full Version : Depot Creek In Chilliwack?

Jason Melo
02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey guys my name is Jason im new to the site. I was just wondering if anyone has heard any good things about depot creek area in chilliwack for blacktails?

it was my first year out last year and i got a 2 point and an doe in clinton. Now this year i want to get a nice blacky. So if anyone knows any good feedback about that area that would be great thanks alot

Ddog
02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
welcome to HBC Jason.

Dirty
02-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Ask Jelvis, he saw a Blacktail there once, in the stone age.

martyonthewater
02-12-2009, 02:59 AM
welcome to hbc, dirt bikers really like it up there, paleface too, pretty hike though

SteadyGirl
02-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Depot creek and paleface are both growing in alot more then they used to be. The cuts are getting old. It is very hard hiking / hunting. I find the deer spook a thier own shadows on that side of the lake. They also get ALOT more traffic than the place I would like to suggest.

If your up for it,.. do the six hour hike to the flora lake alpine. You won't be disapointed you put in the effort. Make sure you can stay a couple days though. You will want too I'm sure:lol:

SteadyGirl
02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
and welcome btw- u will have alot of fun hunting blacktails! It took my dad ten years to get his first one. Now the bugger gets one or two every year:lol:

o2fish2day
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Ya not to knock Jelvis but good greif, we went there and it sure didn't look anything like what was described. It's a tangled full grown forest now. Don't know what it used to look like when dinosaurs raomed the earth. Maybe it was better then

Mtn Wonderer
02-13-2009, 12:56 AM
If your hunting the mountains of the Chwk river valley Hunt early October and high, you'll need a packframe to get that big blacktail back to your truck. and yes most logging areas have grown in tight deer are tough to see. But that doesn't mean there not there because they definitely are.

Jelvis
02-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Jason---Jelvis here hey brah, doin the Cultus Lake--Chilliwack thang. Alright, I'll tell ya it would be great to know a local yocal in the area but hey if yah don't pilgrim, hunt it anyways.
Got a 4X4 would help too, but hey, a car will do when you gotta see those blacktails up in the Chilliwack River Valley, back of the riverside no-hunting zones. And could try in the hills south of Wahleach Lake ("Jones") Lake.
Some grouse, black bear, deer and bandtailed pigeon.
Elk are in there too so if you see a big animal it could be elk, but I don't know if there open to hunting-
Check BC hunting reg's and leh for clarification of what species is open to you for hunting.
Jel--lots of access roads and could see a blacktailed deer
especially up Mt Thurston, Pierce Creek and Elk Mtn as well as around and up to Chilliwack Lake. Ford Mt good
There you have it Jason--Elk Mt roads check em out.

Jason Melo
02-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow thanks for the info guys really appreciate it definetly will try and hit those mountains this year and who knows maybe i'll get lucky.
Also wondering i have a cabin in bankier princeton and never really hunted around there and was wondering if anyone knows the area.

GrandA
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM
i was at depot creek last season, lots of grouse, old deer tracks and we saw a black bear far in the distance... if you walk far enough you end up in USA>. cascades national park i think it was called.

madtrapper85
02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Never been around depot, but Chilliwack river valley i know pretty well. Depending where you go, you will find it very busy, so try to get into areas where you have to hike, most hunters in this area are truck hunters or are on quads. Avoid mt.cheam unless late in the season as alot of dirt bikes are up there and hikers.

If you want to know some spots to try PM me. My hunting partner would kill me if i told you where we got his huge deer, everyone is arguing still that its a black tail but others say its a mule. LOL Anyways it was 266lbs dressed so it was kinda fun dragging it 3 km to the truck. But ya theres lots of good spots to go. If your into hunting black bears there is a bondent around there, with some nice strawberry ones too.

Good Hunting

MadTrapper

twoSevenO
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
went there last season and holy hell was it overgrown .... ridiculously hard hunting. Saw absolutely NO deer sign what-so-ever ... i was hunting the mountain that borders the ecological reserve area ... I did find bear sign though, poop and tracks all over the place.

I'm pretty sure i'll go back there for spring bear, but definitely not for deer season.