PDA

View Full Version : Why Hunt?

bridger
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought this article written by my wife for a local publication might be if interest. It gives a womens perspective on hunting.

WHY HUNT?

Many of my friends and acquaintances are amazed that I have actually hunted and taken an animal. They wonder why I would go hunting and why I would want to kill an animal.
I am relatively new at hunting, but I have gone along on a good number of hunting trips and pack trips over the past 30 years. It wasn’t until the last 8 or 9 years that I have actually gone along with the intent of taking an animal. Prior to that time I had confidence that I could provide a moose for our freezer if there was ever a need but until that time I would let the men in the family do the hunting.

I’ve enjoyed the pack/hunting trips that we’ve taken as a family and with our hunting friends. I’ve loved seeing the wildlife and the scenery—and the wildflowers—and I’ve enjoyed the camaraderie and the adventure of the trips. I have to admit that often parts of our trips have been hard for me, but I’ve always had the support of family and friends who have been there to see me through any rough spots—like getting my horse down in muskeg or falling off my horse. It’s been very satisfying for me to able to meet the challenges that are involved in a 10-day pack trip into the mountains. And, with a husband who has a passion for wildlife, hunting, and the outdoors, there’s also the factor of “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”. The two of us have had good times on our trips, and I look forward to more adventures in the mountains.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P3090047.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12814)

So, if being a member of these hunting expeditions has been so great, why add the actual hunting experience to an already good thing? The first two times I went along prepared to hunt, I planned to take an animal just to help fill the freezer. Our sons weren’t living in the Peace country and didn’t often come up to go hunting with us; so, I thought that I could help with their meat supply. I didn’t kill an animal on that first trip, but a couple of years later, I did shoot my first moose, and I couldn’t believe the adrenalin and the excitement I could feel. Our two hunting partners on that trip, Barry and Doug, can vouch for me that I was some excited. After spotting the moose and dismounting to have a good look, it was decided that this was the one I should shoot. At that point I was in such a state that I couldn’t even find my own horse to take my rifle out of the scabbard! Fortunately, I was able to settle down, take some deep breaths and make a successful shot. I had often heard the guys talk about having ‘buck fever’, but I was shocked that something like that had happened to me. That experience was a turning point.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Copy_of_007100171.JPG

I’ve thought about this hunting business for a long time even before I shot my first moose. I still don’t have a complete understanding of why many of my friends and family are so passionate about hunting. It will probably never be the most important part of my life. I have found, however, hunting has added some kind of completeness to the mountain experiences that I already enjoyed. I like the challenge of being fit enough to be able to hunt and stalk the animal. I have discovered that there’s satisfaction in being able to make an accurate shot so that the animal suffers little. I like being able to help provide meat for our family. And being relatively new to the actual hunting, I am enjoying the learning process along with the help and advice my hunting partners give to me.

So, why do I hunt? I’m still not completely sure. The night before opening day, I can hardly sleep as I wonder if I’m up to the challenges of the next morning—will I be able to keep up? Will I be able to make a good shot? Can I do what needs to be done? For me, I think it comes down to the age-old idea of man--or woman--against the elements; hunting has proven to be one way of meeting my quest for adventure.

d6dan
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Great story Bridger, glad to see your wife enjoying the true "ADRENALINE RUSH" of hunting. Theres nothing quite like it.

Slee
02-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Very good read! I need to get the g/f to read it.

rishu_pepper
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Great read, gotta get the family to read this gem! :D

Chuck
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
In my opinion, that's just a real good read by a sensible and caring partner!
Lucky guy.

huntergirl270
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
You are a lucky man :)

Rufus
02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
That's a great story,you are lucky bridger.:-)

moosehunter21
02-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Well written. I like it alot.

bridger
02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
That's a great story,you are lucky bridger.:-)

thanks I am lucky

BiG Boar
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
My wife will now be in attendance for the spring black bear hunt. She came on a deer hunt in the fall but didnt leave the trailer. I will have her come out this time.

Slee
02-11-2009, 02:27 PM
My wife will now be in attendance for the spring black bear hunt. She came on a deer hunt in the fall but didnt leave the trailer. I will have her come out this time.

Your going to have to plan for one more on that moose hunt too!

Piperdown
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
You go girl, my wife comes on some of the hunts with me ( i have way more time off :biggrin: ) she loves to get out in the bush. To this point she has only shot grouse but has been showing more interest into shooting something bigger.

Will
02-11-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks I am lucky
Does she have any sisters ? :rolleyes:

Good read ! :-)

bridger
02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Does she have any sisters ? :rolleyes:

Good read ! :-)
sorry we have standards in our family lol

Will
02-11-2009, 05:13 PM
sorry we have standards in our family lol
:lol::lol::lol:

hunter1947
02-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Bridger this tread will go a long ways to the young hunters.

Its not always about the killing of something ,its about being out there with nature at its best is what counts the most.

Gives a person a peace of mind when you are away from the cities.

ELKOHOLICBC
02-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Great post Bridger, congrats to you and your wife on being able to share something like this. I know what it feels like to see your wife get addicted to hunting. It's to bad more people didn't have the same additude of just learning to enjoy the hunt and don't rate a trip on if you killed an animal or not. Some of my best hunting trips I've never shot anything.

sneg
02-12-2009, 08:19 AM
very good reading.one happy family.thanks for sharing.

yama49
02-12-2009, 06:00 PM
great job.... congrats to your wife bridger, for sharing your passion also......

gone hunting
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks and congratulations to both of you.

Rackmastr
02-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Great article and congrast to you guys....

I'm fortunate to have a wife who loves hunting and cant WAIT for this season. She was pregnant all during the past season so she's itching to get back out there this year....

jrjonesy
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Great read! I love to hear of someone else experiencing that first adrenalin rush....the one they never new about from just "being along" on prior hunts.