PDA

View Full Version : Columbian Blacktail sounds

Thunderstix
10-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Can someone tell me exactly the sound a Blacktail buck makes? I have heard the high pitched bleat which I believe was a doe, but have never heard a buck. I hear (and read on here) about people using a grunt, is this the same grunt tube you would use for Mulies? I have called in bucks with my homemade doe bleat.
Has anyone on here ever actually heard a buck grunt?

huntersdad
10-29-2005, 06:19 PM
hey
I have heard more of a burp sound in the rut, but I cant be sure it was a buck. The doe bleat cans work well

Thunderstix
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks Huntersdad! With the number of views, but lack of replies, I can only be led to believe that few, if any, have actually heard a buck grunt.

ratherbefishin
10-29-2005, 06:52 PM
yes, I was using a grunt call and heard a very distinct ''grunt'' back and turned to see a nice fork who had slipped up on me.However-I have rattled and grunted where I could actually observe both bucks and does, both in the rut and out-with them showing no appearant interest.It seems to be a hit and miss thing,with no consistent results

Steeleco
10-29-2005, 06:53 PM
The one I shot last fall made a funny sound, but it was his last!!!!

Thunderstix
10-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Was it after you shot him?:biggrin:

Jager
10-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Thunderstix

Is your homemade doe bleat the one made of 2 pieces of wood with a rubber-band stretched over a depression carved between them? I made one once but never really put it to the test. What's your experience with it? I have heard of guys calling in deer by using survey ribbon stretched between ones thumbs and blowing it the same way you would a blade of grass.......and no, I have never heard a blacktail grunt.

Thunderstix
10-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes Jager, you are correct! I actually use the yellow elastic from a dust mask. Last year I called out 2 bucks with it. They did not coming running or anything, but showed themselves long enough to regret it:grin: . My little call works wonders on Sitka Blacktail on the Charlottes during the first week of November.

rock
10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
A buck tending a doe traveling close behind her, sounded like a pig grunt which was followed by a weez of air , the grunts where really close together.

Thunderstix
10-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Very interesting Rock! Today the homemade call had the does coming in like crazy but had no effect on the bucks. My grunt tube also had no effect on the bucks. The bucks were in my yard, down the street, up the street, no kidding man, it is all I can do not to get my bow out and stick one. I will post some pics soon of the monsters around here.

Steeleco
10-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Was it after you shot him?:biggrin:

Indeed!!! He just stood there like a lawn ornament till I tagged him. Supprised he didn't spook as my young son was yelling at me to shoot him, I couldn't see it because of the fog.

But I've never heard one grunt.

Marc
10-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Most times all you hear is bang flop :mrgreen:

YukonJack
10-30-2005, 08:49 AM
I've used the Whitetail fawn bleat...on Blacktails. Brings the does running like stink. Will mostly only work in any given spot just once. I've bumped a buck once in the thick stuff, sounded like a burping....but never again after that once, and never when trailing does or comming to the rattling.(which is rare, for me anyways:mad: )

rock
10-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Very interesting Rock! Today the homemade call had the does coming in like crazy but had no effect on the bucks. My grunt tube also had no effect on the bucks. The bucks were in my yard, down the street, up the street, no kidding man, it is all I can do not to get my bow out and stick one. I will post some pics soon of the monsters around here.
I found with bleating to deer the percentage of does coming to my calls are greater, but bucks will come if the rut is starting.
Once I had a 4 point mule deer high on this ridge , I had been calling for a few minutes when I noticed legs, I proceeded to call but he just kept walking back and fourth on this ridge but wouldn't come off. He just kept going back and forth , so I finally bleated several times very high pitch, at this point he blew right of the ridge within 20 yds of me, I was more surprised than anybody. Sure tasted good.:-D I always try to use my own vocals in the bush and have had luck, its better when your son calls in a 3 point muley within 40 yds of you. But he still has alot to learn.:grin: