PDA

View Full Version : Strategy: Shooting a Grizzly Bear

jml11
02-10-2009, 03:54 PM
With the 2009 spring Grizzly Bear LEH draw and season quickly approaching I have been watching a ton of videos on the net showing grizzly hunts. I have watched most if not all the grizzly videos I can find on youtube.com, myoutdoortv.com (awesome site by the way :smile:), outfitter websites and a few other sites and have noticed a common strategy when it comes to killing a big boar grizzly. It seems a fairly common strategy I have seen is to shoot and keep shooting until the bear is down for good. I realize there is no concern for lost meat but filling the hide with holes doesn't seem like a wise choice to me (for trophy reasons), although I do understand that the thick hair will likely cover up most bullet holes. A good example is the video featured on the hunting report newsletter website, big bear but I think the shooting was a little excessive or is it the best thing to do considering the size of the bear (10'9") and the proximity (30 yds)?

Link to said video:
http://www.huntingreport.com/video_hunt_list_species_details.cfm?id=6

I personally have never hunted grizzly but am hoping to this spring. Just curious if this is a strategy you grizzly hunting veterans have used or do you just assess the situation after your first shot? It seems to me that one well placed shot should do the trick everytime but I guess those featured in these videos don't want to take any chances!

bigwhiteys
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I think my strategy is going to be break him down with a hit to the shoulders/hump first, then put the other 3 in my mag into about same area... A bear without his front quarters isn't going far.

If that doesn't kill it then I will have to reload and keep shootin' until the twitching stops. Any holes in the cape can be fixed I am sure.

Carl

Cool Critter
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know about you, but a few holes in his hide are far better than holes in mine. Created by a mean, nasty and above all DANGEROUS bear.

35 Whelen
02-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Holes in the hide are easy for the taxidermist to stitch up....your holes in your hide aren't...LOL

As for the meat, I don't know anyone that has saved the meat from their Grizzly, I hear it is not too palatable.

Like all bears...break their wheels first, so they don't come back to haunt you, and if I were to shoot a Grizz at 30 yds...you can bet I would make sure he is down for good....and that means broken bones and a least one into the vitals

Grizzly have an adrenal gland that holds an awful lot of reserve power.!!!!!

Will
02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
I personally have never hunted grizzly but am hoping to this spring. Just curious if this is a strategy you grizzly hunting veterans have used or do you just assess the situation after your first shot? It seems to me that one well placed shot should do the trick everytime but I guess those featured in these videos don't want to take any chances!
Grizzlies and Coastal Brownies are two different things IMO.
Sure they both can Kill you but when a Bear pushes 11 feet as this Brownie is, it is a Monster by anyone's standards.

At that range had the bear charged them after the 1st shot vs trying to flee as it did they'd have been in trouble....big trouble !

In this instance you better shoot until it's down and stays down IMHO ! ;-)

Will
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Just to be Mr Popular I'll also add this..........:tongue:

I'll bet that most if not ALL bears that get away after the shot do so because the Hunter had the intentions of "Breaking him down" etc...I've seen this a hell of alot more then once.
Many many novice bear hunters shoot to high, sure they cripple the bear but many times they overshoot the vitals....Not a good thing.

This breaking bones BS is IMO Hogwash !......place the 1st shot into the vitals, that means a broadside lungshot, this should be your #1 goal.

Anyone that doesn't think a Bear can cover a hell of alot of ground with a smashed shoulder, or even two hasn't had the pleasure of following one.....A broken shoulder is NOT a killing shot.

Put the 1st one into the vitals....you will have a dead bear, even if the bear doesn't know it yet;-)

srupp
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
hmmm after being in on many many many grizzly harvests...I prefer (insist when Im guiding ) that the bear is shot in the front shoulder ..break it down..pushing bone through the lungs..bear dies there..you do not want to have the bear hit the dark forest from a slide or grass sedge flat..

I do not advocate just lung shots yes they are dead but WILL go off to die where THEY choose..not a good idea..

I agree with 35 wheelan it is ALWAYS much easier to fix a 1" hole in the bears hide than YOUR hide..always :tongue:...

Grizzly meat can be good eating IF it hasnt been scavaging...

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE LEH APPLICANTS...

Steven

Will
02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
hmmm after being in on many many many grizzly harvests...I prefer (insist when Im guiding ) that the bear is shot in the front shoulder ..break it down..pushing bone through the lungs..bear dies there..you do not want to have the bear hit the dark forest from a slide or grass sedge flat..
The trouble with advocating "Shoulder shots" is many if not all inexperienced Bear seekers when asked to point out the shoulder will point out the bear's "shoulder" hump.....this is my point, I've seen it again and again.

Learn the bears anatomy and take a Guaranteed lung shot 1st and foremost...this is often achieved by smashing at least one blade on the way in........and with enough gun the other side on the way out too:smile:

Know what is meant by a "Shoulder shot" that's all.

Shoot too high and you will never find the bear..........I guarantee it.
Broken bones are not fatal......popped lungs are:smile:

yukon john
02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
after the first shot you pull the trigger every time hair shows up in the scope
as a guide nothing make me more pissed than when clients take a shot then wait for the animal to die-bears are tough. Unfortunately i had to kill a bear in self defense this year it was only a 6.5 ft. bear and i shot it at 15 ft in full charge with a 338mag 250grain nosler partion i hit it at the throat and the bullet exited behind the ribs leaving a hole you could throw a mule through i backed off 20 yards and the thing manage to make another run at me i only had 1 shot left (3shots in a tikka 338 and i had given it a warning at 50 yards) so i busted it inside ten feet right in the front of the shoulder and it still layed there snapping at me thats almost 8000ftlbs of energy in 10 seconds and it bareley went down. as a side note i turned the hide into yukon fish and game and after an hour of grilling they decided that it was 100 percent the bears fault and it had been stalking me so the short answer is shoot em let the taxidermist fix the holes good luck and safe bar' huntin'

leadpillproductions
02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
break his shoulder and he's toast

Gateholio
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Proper Shoulder shot on a bear - or any animal- is 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the chest. Smashes bone and lungs and often heart, too....

And I can't say I'd do anything different on that bear in the video! That was a big ass bear and the 5 shots taken were good insurance!

Salty
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Nothing like a good old grizz thread to bring out a lot of sillyness :?
Nothing dies very fast without a central nervous system hit or stopping/eliminating blood flow or breathing. If you can break a major bone getting to those targets, groovy. ..

brianscott
02-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I wouldnt take a chance with a vitals shot, a 250 TSX out of a 338 WM through both front shoulders should do it.
If it is still pissed then a vitals shot should do the trick.

I wouldnt take any chances if my ass was on the line.

Salty
02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Gate and I posted at the same time, and he is correct on a broadside shot to be sure.

I just worry about newbs listening to the break the shoulder as a must bs and figure they'll try it with the bear facing them. Bad plan!

Gateholio
02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I've used frontal shots on a few animals including black bears, they work if you have the proper bullet for the job...:smile:

I am not sure I'd want to take a frontal shot ona big grizzly, though:shock:

Although I suppose the .375 Ruger with 270gr TSX bullets is up tot he task!:tongue:

Salty
02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I've used frontal shots on a few animals including black bears, they work if you have the proper bullet for the job...:smile:

I am not sure I'd want to take a frontal shot ona big grizzly, though:shock:

Although I suppose the .375 Ruger with 270gr TSX bullets is up tot he task!:tongue:

I suspect a centre of mass shot would do some pretty quick lethal cardiovascular damage and end up far at the back of the gut sack if stopped in the bear at all. :-o

Schutzen
02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
With respect to Steve's experience I totally agree with Will on this one.
I am not an advocate of the shoulder shot scenario and here's why.
Unless Joe grizzly slayer has properly sighted in his rifle for the task, like Will says the all to common theme is a wounded Bear with a healthy or slightly damaged set of lungs and strong heart just brimful of adrenaline now! He's been hit he's hurtin and he is very pissed off.
VERY BAD RECIPE for the avg noob Grizz hunter!
A hell of a lot of guys now sight there loudenboomers for 300yd zeros this is not good for up close an personal type DG hunting.
Too many shots go higher than intended up close.
Sight em in for 100 or 200 max! Nobody should even be thinkin of 200 plus shots on Grizz except under rare circumstances. If it shoots flat then 100 yds is fine its easy enuf to hold a little elevation if needed. My personal belief is whack the lungs with a TSX or Partition or equivelent of reasonable cal and shoot again as soon as you can get another reasonably aimed shot off and again if that hasn't settled his hash.

Practise fast reloads without taking the rifle off your shoulder or your eyes off the target.
Always hunt with a partner who's main responsibility is backup and observation. Two sets of eyes are better than one and recovery should go fine!

Schutzen
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Don't go overboard on heavy for cal bullets, by this I mean that a 180 gr 30-06 cal partition will rip thru a Grizzly broadside with speed to spare.
Modern bullets of controlled expansion IE. TSX family, Nosler Partition, etc. all have lots of penetration ability.
Grizzlies are not Armour plated for chrisakes.
I once saw a 180 grain 06 bullet in the old Dominion Kling Kor SPRN go width wise thru a deer at the shoulders then travel on down one side till it popped out the rear of the ham just under the hide!
That's quite a lot of penetration!
The penetration you will get with a 180 gr 30 cal tsx or Partition or equiv. is more than enuf in most cartridges.
The thing I worry about with the very heavy for cal bullets is that at times they do not open fast enuf in lighter game or if they encounter lite resistance.
They are designed for heavy or very heavy game.
The caveat here is that some cartridges of very hi velocity can make them work cuz there rippin along at several hundred fps more than the avg. cartridge.
I'm talkin RUMs and the like vs the ole 06 say and 200 plus grains.
Here's an example of that :-
06................2700 fps..........180gr optimum
300 win mag...3000-2900 fps..180-200gr optimum
300 RUM or equiv........3000-2900 fps...200-220gr optimum
MOST IMPORTANT AND NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN MAXIM
"Bullet placement is Key"
No loudenboomer of whatever cal will kill effectively unless the bullets enter the vitals.
Shoot a rifle your comfortable with (know well), in a cartridge you are comfortable with (not going to flinch!)
Stay within your capabilities when you shoot (keep it close, good rest)
Lastly scopes...use a good quality scope of medium to low power if its a variable leave it at 4x or less in close cover, 6x in open country or less.
Big power variables and using the scope to glass at hi mags is a recipe for trouble.
Case in point a very famous hunter who killed game all over the world for many years got along fine till just before an African hunt he was talked into a brand new Weatherby in 300 mag and one of their new scopes that went to 10x. Well he accidentally left it a 10x when stalking up on some Lions. Too bad for him! A big male charged and he could not find it in the scope in time.
Lions 1 hunters 0.

Will
02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
With respect to Steve's experience I totally agree with Will on this one.
Just to clear something up...In no way am I disagreeing with the Shoulder shot for DGame. What I'm trying to make clear for Novice bear hunters is to make sure they know where the "shoulder" is, that's all.

Mr Srupp has most assuredly seen the demise and been a part of more Grizz harvests then I will ever see alive that is for certain....His oppinions and advise is highly respected by myself and in no way am I "disagreeing" with anyone here....just making sure any Novices don't get confused as to shot placement.

Bottom line for my point of view is this.......

Ask any Bowhunter that has arrowed a bear if they would rather go into the bush looking for a bear that they KNOW was lung hit or would they like to go looking for one with an arrow sticking out of it's shoulder ? The answer is a no-brainer.
Common sense dictates the lung hit bear will die....the shoulder(too high) hit bear will not. Sure bullets are not arrows and blah blah blah but the principle remains the same.....VITALS are the Kill zone.

Like Gate pointed out the shoulder blade on a bear is "lower" then some would believe. Make dam sure your 1st shot is gonna hit vitals, if it punches some blade in and out huge BONUS !

But the name of the game is to take out the vitals.....your 1st shot may be your only shot so why piss around trying to cripple the bear hoping for a 2nd shot to the vitals ? Do it right the 1st time...that's my point.;)

Ambush
02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
A double lung shot bear [or any animal] is a dead bear. If you shoot a bear in both lungs, and wait 30 minutes, you are not going into the thick stuff looking for a wounded bear. You are looking for a dead bear.

If he rears up and charges into the alders after your shoulder shot, THEN you are trailing a wounded bear. Second shots are not always possible..

Do which ever way you like, but do it right.

I've only shot two grizzlies, but many blacks with a rifle and bow. As Will says, I would rather be looking for a bear I know has a hole in both lungs.

Hopefully this spring I can put an arrow right through one and try it out!

Schutzen
02-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Just to clear something up...In no way am I disagreeing with the Shoulder shot for DGame. What I'm trying to make clear for Novice bear hunters is to make sure they know where the "shoulder" is, that's all.

Mr Srupp has most assuredly seen the demise and been a part of more Grizz harvests then I will ever see alive that is for certain....His oppinions and advise is highly respected by myself and in no way am I "disagreeing" with anyone here....just making sure any Novices don't get confused as to shot placement.

Bottom line for my point of view is this.......

Ask any Bowhunter that has arrowed a bear if they would rather go into the bush looking for a bear that they KNOW was lung hit or would they like to go looking for one with an arrow sticking out of it's shoulder ? The answer is a no-brainer.
Common sense dictates the lung hit bear will die....the shoulder(too high) hit bear will not. Sure bullets are not arrows and blah blah blah but the principle remains the same.....VITALS are the Kill zone.

Like Gate pointed out the shoulder blade on a bear is "lower" then some would believe. Make dam sure your 1st shot is gonna hit vitals, if it punches some blade in and out huge BONUS !

But the name of the game is to take out the vitals.....your 1st shot may be your only shot so why piss around trying to cripple the bear hoping for a 2nd shot to the vitals ? Do it right the 1st time...that's my point.;)

Well said Will..you put it better than I could.

sawmill
02-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I have killed 5 grizz and 28 blacks.27 of the blacks died damn near in teir tracks with a bullet at the point of the shoulder,right where it meets the neck.Of the grizzly`s only one died instantly,they are a way tougher critter than a black.My biggest was a 9ft. 6in. boar and my first shot was carefully placed from a dead ass solid rest 140 yards down hill.A shoulder shot and it knocked him on his ass ,then he rolled to his feet and started running.I hit him again and he went down but this time I was high and broke his back just behind the shoulders so he was up and going across the lease on front wheel drive.2 more shots to stop him,the last was a hail mary head shot cause he was mere feet away from heavey rainforest type bush.I have followed a few into that stuff and ,believe you me,that ain`t fun. My scariest was a freind was hunting with me and made a good shot on an 8 foot Beutifuul black silvertip boar.He hit him quartering towards us and the bullet hit him square in the left shoulder and exited by his right hip,a 338 mag pass through.The bear dived of the road into the thickest rainforest crap and blow down timber you have ever seen.He left a blood trail a foot wide,we waited as long as we could but it was getting dark fast.I had the lead,walking on blow down timder 5 or more feet off the ground following his sign.We finally got out of that crap with out getting killed and had some good ground to trail.I swear I did`nt take ten steps and he jumped up 4 feet away from me from behind a big old hemlock tree.Thank God he was running away! I had a couple of seconds and got him behind the head,going away.When we skinned him out the first shot had taken out a piece of his heart,one whole lung and all of the liver and the exit hole was big enough to put your fist in.
All I can say is that Grizz seem to be a lot tougher than Blacks.
A shoulder shot is your best bet but I have seen pissed off well shot Grizz run like hell.Oh ,don`t believe that shit that badley hurt bears can`t run down hill or uphill.They can run where ever they want and faster than you can.Good luck! It is very intense fun.

Manglinmike
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
not having shot griz yet ,I can say that I have shot my fair share of blacks,and once you get over the six ft mark they get hard as hell to kill. I shot a6-8 bear on the island and put a 180gr out of a300 win thru his .neck at 50yrds,droped him like a stone,for 5 sec. then he was off and running with his big block head hanging low.after a fallow up in boyh shoulders and an insuance policy thru the spine it was picture time

Camp Cook
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah ok so where is the picture... :D

boxhitch
02-10-2009, 11:12 PM
"Bustin' him down" and "Smashing shoulders" sounds impressive.

The chance of a shoulder shot going wrong is higher than any center-of- vitals shot, especially for those that choose to use smaller cartridges.

Aim for the center of heart/lung area, and you will have a dead bear, no question. If the front leg happens to be in the way , fragments may help in the killing process, or if the angle is such to deflect the shot, you have a wounded bear.

Knowing the right shot for the particular situation is important. Distance, angles, leg position, elevation, all in regard to the cartridge in hand.

Wanna sure kill shot ? Smash the off-side shoulder after penetrating the lungs. Win/win

boxhitch
02-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I shot a6-8 bear on the island and put a 180gr out of a300 win thru his .neck at 50yrds,droped him like a stone,for 5 sec. then he was off and running with his big block head hanging low.Would you admit that was a bad choice for a kill shot ?

Maxx
02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
I have killed 5 grizz and 28 blacks.27 of the blacks died damn near in teir tracks with a bullet at the point of the shoulder,right where it meets the neck.Of the grizzly`s only one died instantly,they are a way tougher critter than a black.My biggest was a 9ft. 6in. boar and my first shot was carefully placed from a dead ass solid rest 140 yards down hill.A shoulder shot and it knocked him on his ass ,then he rolled to his feet and started running.I hit him again and he went down but this time I was high and broke his back just behind the shoulders so he was up and going across the lease on front wheel drive.2 more shots to stop him,the last was a hail mary head shot cause he was mere feet away from heavey rainforest type bush.I have followed a few into that stuff and ,believe you me,that ain`t fun. My scariest was a freind was hunting with me and made a good shot on an 8 foot Beutifuul black silvertip boar.He hit him quartering towards us and the bullet hit him square in the left shoulder and exited by his right hip,a 338 mag pass through.The bear dived of the road into the thickest rainforest crap and blow down timber you have ever seen.He left a blood trail a foot wide,we waited as long as we could but it was getting dark fast.I had the lead,walking on blow down timder 5 or more feet off the ground following his sign.We finally got out of that crap with out getting killed and had some good ground to trail.I swear I did`nt take ten steps and he jumped up 4 feet away from me from behind a big old hemlock tree.Thank God he was running away! I had a couple of seconds and got him behind the head,going away.When we skinned him out the first shot had taken out a piece of his heart,one whole lung and all of the liver and the exit hole was big enough to put your fist in.
All I can say is that Grizz seem to be a lot tougher than Blacks.
A shoulder shot is your best bet but I have seen pissed off well shot Grizz run like hell.Oh ,don`t believe that shit that badley hurt bears can`t run down hill or uphill.They can run where ever they want and faster than you can.Good luck! It is very intense fun.

great info, and real world experience! thanks for sharing,,,

GoatGuy
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm a front shoulder guy.

Must admit my buddy's killed wayyyyy more bears than I have and he's a boiler room guy. Course he hasn't had one try to eat him either.

Will
02-11-2009, 06:43 AM

The chance of a shoulder shot going wrong is higher than any center-of- vitals shot, especially for those that choose to use smaller cartridges.

Aim for the center of heart/lung area, and you will have a dead bear, no question. If the front leg happens to be in the way , fragments may help in the killing process, or if the angle is such to deflect the shot, you have a wounded bear.

Knowing the right shot for the particular situation is important. Distance, angles, leg position, elevation, all in regard to the cartridge in hand.

Wanna sure kill shot ? Smash the off-side shoulder after penetrating the lungs. Win/win
Nicely sums up what I could not in my 4 posts........:lol: ;)

:cool:

SteadyGirl
02-11-2009, 07:10 AM
funny thread:lol: scares me a little:eek:

Stone Sheep Steve
02-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Since I'll have a .270 in my hand when it finally comes to be my turn, I'll opt for a boiler room/opposite shoulder placement.

Just got to be patient and wait for the shot.

If that fails.......a TSX to the back of the noodle seems to drop them pretty quick:rolleyes:.

SSS

chilcotin hillbilly
02-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I had to sit back and think about this question, I ve shot both grizz and and alot of blacks. The black die easy with a quick death with one through the boiler room. My first grizz was a good one. I aimed to bust his shoulders and missed, the shot was a double lung shot. 6 shots later he was down, when I skinned him there were 5 in the boiler room one through a forearm and one through the meat on the neck. the whole thing lasted about a minute and that bear ran back and forth the river looking for me and my friend. Both of us were shooting 300 mags with 180 gr barnes x and none of the boiler room shots pasted through and only 2 made it to the hide on the opposite side. I would say shoulder shot if the vegetaion is thick and boiler room if you are in open country.

35 Whelen
02-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Well said......Hillbilly.

I have a buddy who guides for the big coastal bears. His recommendation is break the front shoulders first. If his wheels are gone, he cannot get at you quickly in the thick short distance stuff.

Friend of mine shot a nice black years ago as it ambled across an open face on a hillside. He did a double lung shot. That bear turned left, came down the mountian like an Exoset missile right at him. Climbed the slash at the side of the logging road, and when he hit the top the bear stood up looking around, Buddy hit him square between the front shoulders face on....down the bear went and he started to clean out his britches...only to look up and see hell boy bear standing up on the slash pile again, looking for who it was that was shooting at him. One more shot to the head finally put the bear down for good.

My point is this. Grizz are way tougher than blacks. They have an adrenal gland that holds about a quart. If you have shot his heart out and lungs out, and he is under 100 yds from you and sees you...bend over and kiss yer arse....he will likely get you, because he will cover that distance in under 4 seconds. A bear with broken wheels cannot get up and run, he will push himself along with his back legs popping and snapping his jaws at you , but he won't cover 100 yards in mere seconds.

So you will have to pick you shot based on the circumstances presented to you. If you are hunting the thick coastal stuff, get the biggest gun you can shoot well in the tight stuff, and shoot the heaviest bullet you can for that calibre. If you are in open mountain country your need to down them quickly ( ie life threatening distance) is reduced SOMEWHAT, as I said they cover 100 yards in under 4 seconds. Remember this , they outrun a quarter horse over 400 yds....that is fast. I doubt most of us could hit a bear coming at us headlong full speed. So make your first shot count and take out the wheels, then when he is lying there bellering and popping his jaws...use the cope de grace shot.

Keep this in mind as well. The area's I have hunted bears has some VERY large boars and seeing one run off into the black thick stuff after the shot, makes for a VERY unnerving feeling. You can feel your butt drawing in your pants as you step into that dark forest canopy, knowing that the bear is probably watching his back trail, and about the even the score, if you didn't do your part well. If that happens, back off, wait a considerable amount of time and let him lay down and stiffen up. Then go in very slowly and let your eyes adjust to the dim light....or even go back in the next day. If you hit vitals he will be dead and won't be going anywhere overnight.

Pick your shots and live to hunt another day

elkdom
02-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Well said......Hillbilly.

I have a buddy who guides for the big coastal bears. His recommendation is break the front shoulders first. If his wheels are gone, he cannot get at you quickly in the thick short distance stuff.

Friend of mine shot a nice black years ago as it ambled across an open face on a hillside. He did a double lung shot. That bear turned left, came down the mountian like an Exoset missile right at him. Climbed the slash at the side of the logging road, and when he hit the top the bear stood up looking around, Buddy hit him square between the front shoulders face on....down the bear went and he started to clean out his britches...only to look up and see hell boy bear standing up on the slash pile again, looking for who it was that was shooting at him. One more shot to the head finally put the bear down for good.

My point is this. Grizz are way tougher than blacks. They have an adrenal gland that holds about a quart. If you have shot his heart out and lungs out, and he is under 100 yds from you and sees you...bend over and kiss yer arse....he will likely get you, because he will cover that distance in under 4 seconds. A bear with broken wheels cannot get up and run, he will push himself along with his back legs popping and snapping his jaws at you , but he won't cover 100 yards in mere seconds.

So you will have to pick you shot based on the circumstances presented to you. If you are hunting the thick coastal stuff, get the biggest gun you can shoot well in the tight stuff, and shoot the heaviest bullet you can for that calibre. If you are in open mountain country your need to down them quickly ( ie life threatening distance) is reduced SOMEWHAT, as I said they cover 100 yards in under 4 seconds. Remember this , they outrun a quarter horse over 400 yds....that is fast. I doubt most of us could hit a bear coming at us headlong full speed. So make your first shot count and take out the wheels, then when he is lying there bellering and popping his jaws...use the cope de grace shot.

Keep this in mind as well. The area's I have hunted bears has some VERY large boars and seeing one run off into the black thick stuff after the shot, makes for a VERY unnerving feeling. You can feel your butt drawing in your pants as you step into that dark forest canopy, knowing that the bear is probably watching his back trail, and about the even the score, if you didn't do your part well. If that happens, back off, wait a considerable amount of time and let him lay down and stiffen up. Then go in very slowly and let your eyes adjust to the dim light....or even go back in the next day. If you hit vitals he will be dead and won't be going anywhere overnight.

Pick your shots and live to hunt another day

X2 on the facts! and just to add a wounded mature bear will often circle, then lay "ambush" for what ever is following him!!, very risky business in thick cover! and if you encounter a wounded big bear at 15/20 yards in heavy cover? when he gets the jump on you, there is no time for "strategy":lol::eek::lol:

BCrams
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
and he is under 100 yds from you and sees you...bend over and kiss yer arse....he will likely get you, because he will cover that distance in under 4 seconds.

, as I said they cover 100 yards in under 4 seconds.

Ain't that the truth :neutral:

bushguy
02-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Great post,if they are digging or rollin rocks watch out for that elbow!

Will
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
scares me a little:eek:
You and me both......with the numbers of Grizzly bears harvested in BC without incident every single year, either we have the Greatest Bear Hunters going or most of the big bad Bear hype is just that ;)

boxhitch
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
You had it right too Will.
Not everyone uses guns that will "knocked him on his ass".
And without a doubt, most hunters shoot high.

Consider taking a dog along on your bear hunt.
A pound hound can be taught to blood track in a few feedings.
Maybe best not to get attached.

02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I too am waiting my hopeful good fortune on drawing my first Spring Grizz.
I'm looking to hammer him broad side, with a .300 Min mag with 200 Gr. Nosler Partitions through the shoulders - lung area, followed by a quick 2nd shot, 3 if the need be. I too would prefer to hunt G bear with a partner ready to start blazing if needed. I do want to practice allot before venturing afield, and have full confidence that the shot placement will be good, dispatching the critter as quick as possible, like others say, wait for the right shot or don't shoot at all.

That said, unlike many others I will not be harvesting the bear with out the intent to take all the meat. I have found out where to have it inspected and tested (like pork ) locally and will hopefully have a wack of G Bear sausage come June. I have eaten G Bear and found it to be no different then Black Bear. Like any game, the big ones are expected to be tougher and possibly stronger.

Good luck every one on the LEH G Bear Draws, out soon, I hope you get one after me.....
of course .... haha

CT

Cole
02-11-2009, 09:42 PM
With the 2009 spring Grizzly Bear LEH draw and season quickly approaching I have been watching a ton of videos on the net showing grizzly hunts. I have watched most if not all the grizzly videos I can find on youtube.com, myoutdoortv.com (awesome site by the way :smile:), outfitter websites and a few other sites and have noticed a common strategy when it comes to killing a big boar grizzly. It seems a fairly common strategy I have seen is to shoot and keep shooting until the bear is down for good. I realize there is no concern for lost meat but filling the hide with holes doesn't seem like a wise choice to me (for trophy reasons), although I do understand that the thick hair will likely cover up most bullet holes. A good example is the video featured on the hunting report newsletter website, big bear but I think the shooting was a little excessive or is it the best thing to do considering the size of the bear (10'9") and the proximity (30 yds)?

Link to said video:
http://www.huntingreport.com/video_hunt_list_species_details.cfm?id=6

Alot of people have different opinions about where to hit a bear. Some will tell you to break the front shoulders and then finish him off. When you are hunting grizzly , keep this in mind . A mature boar grizzly is first and foremost a killing , eating machine and it is better to make a killing shot the first time then to try to " break him down". More often then not , you will be shooting at a bear that does not know you are there or hasnot pinpointed your position. Your first shot should be into the boiler room. After that, if that bear moves , nail him until he does not move. A pissed off grizzly and especially a pissed off mountain grizzly can do an amazing amount of damage in a very short time and brotha, you don't want any of it. If you have to follow it up into the thick stuff, well..... you started it, you gotta finish it. Grizz hunting can be summed up lik this. 90% pure boredom , 10% undesended testical wrenching terror. Whats a few extra holes in his hide, a taxidermist can make it look like you never even shot it. Keep a cool head and don't make dumstupid decisions and you''ll do fine.

Ambush
02-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I am really surprised that there is even any hunters left in BC to post on here with those savage killing machines out there.! It's all very exciting to talk up grizzlies as indestructable, death dealing monters. BUT, if you put a bullet through both lungs, that bear is dead in one minute. Make sure of your first broadside shot and you won't HAVE to go into the thick stuff facing a wounded bear. He's a dead bear!

Now please, somebody describe in great gory detail all the things this bear can do to me in that minute!

I suspect that the biggest issue is poor bullet placement and miss-matched caliber/bullet combinations.

Whenever I hear someone say "... I gave him 5 shots right in the boiler room with my magnum, 2 in the heart, and we trailed him for 5 miles right up a mountain then lost the trail." Bull$hit!!

Grizzlies are tough and dangerous, but they are not immortal.

killman
02-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I am really surprised that there is even any hunters left in BC to post on here with those savage killing machines out there.! It's all very exciting to talk up grizzlies as indestructable, death dealing monters. BUT, if you put a bullet through both lungs, that bear is dead in one minute. Make sure of your first broadside shot and you won't HAVE to go into the thick stuff facing a wounded bear. He's a dead bear!

Now please, somebody describe in great gory detail all the things this bear can do to me in that minute!

I suspect that the biggest issue is poor bullet placement and miss-matched caliber/bullet combinations.

Whenever I hear someone say "... I gave him 5 shots right in the boiler room with my magnum, 2 in the heart, and we trailed him for 5 miles right up a mountain then lost the trail." Bull$hit!!

Grizzlies are tough and dangerous, but they are not immortal.

obviously you have never seen the movie! :lol:

Will
02-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Grizz hunting can be summed up lik this. 90% pure boredom , 10% undesended testical wrenching terror.
Well I can say with my limited grizz experience this sums up my thoughts pretty well.........I might reverse the two though :lol: ;)

Krico
02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Once again, Ambush is the voice of reason.

I'll leave it at that.

uraarchr
02-12-2009, 12:15 AM
something to think about.i went up north to hunt moose ,bou and grizz mostly.i picked what i thought was the best bullet for those conditions.Barnes MRX 180 gr .300 WSM.performed flawlessly on moose:saw grizz but it didnt happen.now some guys that i know or know of or have spoken to approach the same type of hunt with the same bullets they hunt whitetails with.people typically say:im sighted in for this or that,or my gun shoots this really good so im not wasting time and or money just for this hunt to find a "right "bullet.and they go hunting grizzly with whitetail bullets.ive never shot a grizz so i dont really have that experience,but from shooting everything from gophers to moose(or seeing them shot)i do know how critical bullet selection is.id rather make the mistake of shooting a muley with a moose\grizz bullet :than PO a grizz with a WT bullet .ive personally made a poor chice of bullet before and it really made me thinkabout the importance of bullet selection.anyways;it's something to think about.

BCrams
02-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Personally, I would take the broadside, slightly quartering away and tuck one in right behind the shoulder to go through the vitals and hit the other side. If the bear has time to run into the bush, at least I know when I go in after him (after waiting a while) ......he's likely going to be dead. Unless the shooter is the type who gets buck fever and really has no idea where the shot went other than knowing a bullet hit the bear somewhere.

I'd be worried with a shoulder / leg shot. If anything goes wrong and he makes it into the bush - its a bear which will probably still be alive when you go looking for him and thats not a pleasant thought.

Its all about shot placement and keeping your cool when its time to squeeze the trigger.

If, in the rare occassion the bear charges directly at you (assuming the bear knows where you are when you shoot) -- shoot straight :)

Its like the guys who go bison hunting, get all excited and shoot at the hump rather than the recommended and best killing shot, which is ~4-5 inches up from the belly right behind the shoulder.

GoatGuy
02-12-2009, 11:37 AM

If my dog could talk she'd tell you all about it. Good thing she can run faster than I can and that a bear can't run better than 2900fps.

srupp
02-12-2009, 01:26 PM
hmmm I do not give advice on hunting elk in New Zealand.nor bone fishing in Baleeze..it is amazing listening to guys who have never hunted grizzly or even shot a grizzly give sound sage advice..:eek:
Every last hunter I have had out for grizzly have repeatadly said man do they ever move FAST, man are they ever BIG...and TOUGH...

I have learned from Betty Franks, Gerry Bracewell, CLAYTON MACK..and the like of these with more bears in bag than even they could remember..
also BOB KOPP, and my 30 years is getting up there also..im still here ..;)

something is working..

I have seen poor shooting I dont advocate under 80 yards or over 150 yar shot..I have made my views know on location of shot and why..and yes I have enough years to make some "suggestions"lol
I read about "undersized weapon " and why THEN the lungs are a better placement...there IS minimum caliber suggestion for going after grizzlies..and I still maintain that a bear unaware of your presence out in the open... usually feeding..when you do have the time to MAKE a good shot placement is best achieved in taking out one or both shoulders so they are anchored and die where you want them to and so you dont have to go in after them...most all the bears I have been so fortunate to harvest or be in on the harvest have resulted in good humane kills in a manner not dangerous to the hunter..ask Tim if he wanted his 9'4" coastal brown to get 12 FEET back into the dark wetcoast forest..hmm I already know the answer..no damn way.Use enough gun to get the job done but not soopid big to cause poor shooting through fear of the weapon and recoil...get this DANDEROUS animal to STAY where he was shot not back in the woods on HIS grounds...play it SAFE so we all come home..take a reliable calm profficient back up person you can trust your life with because it may come to that..and oh ya..HAVE SOME FUN..

and those who have never shot a grizzly please dont advocate doing something that COULD BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS that you have NOT done but heard it from a friend that heard it from a friend that....

cheers

Steven

jrjonesy
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/grizzly-bear1.jpg

Srupp, To put it visually... I thought this might help.

Would the shoulder shot be in the red or the yellow area?

I'm thinking green (boiler room) is not exactly where you're wanting people to aim. Thought this might clear up some confusion as to what is being considered the shoulder shot.

Gateholio
02-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Red will take out one shoulder and maybe 2 and hit the vitals, but I'd prefer the leftish side of the red circle rather than the right. Right side is a bit too far forward..Hard to explain without me putting a dot on it;-)

mcrae
02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
So for all the bear experts out there when you say shoulder shot are you aiming for the shoulder blade or just center of mass right on the leg forward of the vitals???

The shoulder blade on a bear is high compared to a deer so I am curious if this is what you guys are aiming for???

I would put it right where Gatehouse has suggested so I am curious what is really meant by "shoulder shot"...

jml11
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Red will take out one shoulder and maybe 2 and hit the vitals, but I'd prefer the leftish side of the red circle rather than the right. Right side is a bit too far forward..Hard to explain without me putting a dot on it;-)

Roughly where the green line is in the red circle?

dutchie
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
After wanting to get a Grizz LEH really bad, then figuring that I would have to get a new gun (yes i know some of you think a 300wsm is good enough... I still had stink in my pants watching that movie with a HBC'er getting charged at) I would use no less then a 338. wim mag with a big mother of a round, but preferably i would use a 375 H&H. This stuff ain't boy scouts... these grizzlies and Kodiaks are the real fricken deal.

Or on the other hand why be a chicken... Inuit woman killed a Grizz with a .22LR!!

dutchie

mcrae
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM

Thats what I would aim for...

Gateholio
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Maybe a hair towards the front of the bear from where the green line is inside the red circle...Reading mylast post makes me sound dyslexic...;)

That is my opinion of the best shot, others may differ...

Will
02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
So for all the bear experts out there
Not "all"...apparently there's only one person on here qualified enough...:rolleyes:

mcrae
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Not "all"...apparently there's only one person on here qualified enough...:rolleyes:

The reason I ask is I have shot 30+ black bears over the years and been in on many,many,many more. Black bears are my favorite game animal by far. I love bear hunting...

I "hate" the shoulder shot on a black bear. I have seen them tear off with legs all busted up and shoulder pieces blown all over. I have seen damage done to them with shoulder hits that basically should mean there is no way they should be moving. But they do!!! They are tenacious...

This past year I shot a "smallish" black bear with a .308 it blew the offside leg clean off at the elbow after passing thru the high shoulder on the opposite side. That bear still managed 50 yards before piling up running on three legs and a badly screwed up front end. It was a second shot into the lungs that finished that bear. I have no doubt the severe trauma of the broken shoulder and legs was fatal but....

Several years ago I watched a buddy hit a black bear hard in the front shoulder area. The bear then climbed a tree. The second shot dumped it out of the tree. We took a look and that bear climbed the tree with one shoulder smashed to hell...

By far the best shot for me on a black bear is the heart/lung. It seems to take the steam out of them fast. In my experience they hunch up fast and pile up with a solid heart/lung hit. I won't comment on my best calibers cause thats a whole diffrent topic:biggrin:

I have never shot a grizz so I can't comment on experience with them but I am confused as to why some recommend "busting" them in the shoulder to break them down? Wouldn't it make more sense to put the first shot into the heart and lungs rather than trying to break bone???

Grizz are considered tougher than black bears by far and I have seen black bears take amazing damage and keep on trucking with non-vital hits??? I thinks its possible I am not understanding a "shoulder" shot but a good solid lung and heart hit is going to kill anyhthing...

BCRiverBoater
02-12-2009, 04:59 PM
One thing all the lung guys are forgetting when reading the shoulder shot recommendation is that the experienced grizz hunters are saying take a shoulder and vitals. Most the posts I read said they take out a shoulder and usually some vitals. Bear slows down and dies.

Most important is shot placement. If you aim for boiler room and miss...dangerous. If you aim shoulders and miss it is not quite as bad but either way you must hit where you are aiming. Bears are harder to judge for proper placement to start with. Either way you must hit exactly where you are aiming or you will be in trouble.'

But do not forget....the shoulder guys are saying best shot is shoulder, vitals and even 2nd shoulder some times. Not alot different then the lung guys except they take a shoulder as well. I would take some vitals AND shoulder any day over just vitals.

Another thing some are forgetting is most bear hunters I know or have seen on video fire multiple shots immediately before seeing how the bear is hurt. Also there is usually 2 shooters firing several shots if close encounters or thick cover near by. Therefore the bear is getting the boiler room hit several times but there is also always shoulders taken out as well. Therefore bear goes no where and dies in seconds to minutes.

I have several grizzly bear hunting videos and watch where those shots hit. These are experienced guide telling hunters where to shoot. Most these shots are tend to be forward enough to be considered shoulder shots. But in most kill scenes there are 3-4 shots every time so I am guessing there are shoulders and vitals taken out.

Gateholio
02-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Maybe the "shoulder shot" should be renamed the "Bust the front suspension and take out the boileroom" shot to better describe it.;)

A bear can go a long way with a hole in one lung and one front leg/shoulder broken. It can't go very far with holes through lungs and one leg/shoulder broken. It can't go anywhere with holes through both lungs and both leg/shoulders broken, although it will use it's rear legs to try and really churn the dirt up!:p

pitbell
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree with most of what everyone is saying. I think it is important to remember if you guys are going to promote shooting Bears in the shoulder you need to stress the use of a bullet capable of doing the job. Some newbie is going to read this and end up trying to thump a Grizz through the shoulders with a 7mm shooting ballistic tips and wind up in the middle of a rodeo. Or dead.
In most cases if your first shot is good the bear will not go far. But a poorly hit or wounded bear will soak up a huge amount of lead. This is when you want a large bore rifle and/or a bullet that can reach the vitals from any angle.
A hunter of mine hit a large Black Bear to far back with a 30-06. I gave the bear 1-2hrs before going in after him. At the time I did not realize how poorly he had been hit. Seemed to be lots of blood so I was confident he had expired. Long story short, the bear charged and I hit him twice in the chest at 10yrds with a 338 and 250gr NP's, once more as he veered off to the side, and again when he was going away from me. The bear went another 300yds before finally laying down for good. I had to leave my undies in the bush.
Also keep in mind that a bears fur will soak up allot of blood and sometimes wont start to leave a blood trail for 50yrds or more. That is bad news when you are hunting where there is thick bush. Keep in mind the bigger the hole the bigger the blood trail. Bottem line imo is don't take bear hunting lightly. I always tell my hunters to bring the largest caliber that they can shoot accurately.

mcrae
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I am hoping to get an LEH this year and go after my first grizz. I make no assumptions that my experience with black bears is any way relevant to grizz so that's why I was wondering about the actually meaning of a "shoulder hit"..

BCRiverBoaters post sums it up pretty good for me. I know for black bears I always aim forward the last friggin thing I ever want to do is have to trail a gut shot bear of any kind!!!

I bought a 375 Ruger for all my bear hunting. Probably more than I need but being as I am first and foremost a bear hunter I thought what the hell...

Schutzen
02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Grizz vitals link... http://www.hunter-ed.com/ak/course/ch4_vital_shots.htm

Grizz vitals link...http://www.americanbear.org/anatomy.htm

BCRiverBoater
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
That shows perfectly what I was saying. I well placed shoulder shot with a good bullet will take out the lungs. The right calibre-bullet combo may even damage the second shoulder. This is exactly what SRUPP and the other guys were saying. Shoulder...shoulder...shoulder but it also takes out vitals.

Gateholio
02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
That top link is great- Shows how a shoulder + vitals shot is supposed to be taken.:smile:

mcrae
02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I subscribe to Bear Hunting magazine they have a really great bear anatomy pic as well in every issue...

I downloaded a series of pics a couple of years ago when I started bow hunting bears and they where really good as well. I was trying to find them again and post them up...

The above posts are good as well it pretty much explains a shoulder shot to me!

Schutzen
02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I subscribe to Bear Hunting magazine they have a really great bear anatomy pic as well in every issue...

I downloaded a series of pics a couple of years ago when I started bow hunting bears and they where really good as well. I was trying to find them again and post them up...

The above posts are good as well it pretty much explains a shoulder shot to me!

Yeah I saw that Bow Huntin one as well but can't find it now.

Will
02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
That top link is great- Shows how a shoulder + vitals shot is supposed to be taken.:smile:
Yes it certainly does, great post...and anyone that has put enough bullets in bears knows this shot and many practise it once they "know" where to hold...it's the mislead Novices that trouble me.....don't just say shoulder shot...it's leads alot of interpretation for those that do not know.

That was kinda the whole point of this thread folks, to educate those that asked.

Like I stated before the "lung vs Shoulder shot, I've killed more bears then you so I'm an expert" gong show raged on :rolleyes:. For the NOVICE bear hunters make sure you know where the shoulder on a bear is.........that's all.

But for my Money I'll concentrate on the lung/heart shot everytime thanks......if it breaks bones after the lungs are popped great too but I'll stand by my point that the 1st priority should be a lethal shot.

I'll save the Macho "break em down !" "anchor them ! before they Treadwell your a$$ " crap for those among us with real experience at killing things. :lol:

Yeah I saw that Bow Huntin one as well but can't find it now.
This one ?
http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_essentials/black_bear_anatomy.htm

Schutzen
02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Will
Yep thats the one alright, thanx for the link.

Kirby
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
So the real question is... after reading all about this who wants to back me up after I poke a grizzly with a sharp stick and string this spring? Say farthest I'll shoot 35 yards...

Kirby

Stone Sheep Steve
02-12-2009, 07:56 PM
So the real question is... after reading all about this who wants to back me up after I poke a grizzly with a sharp stick and string this spring? Say farthest I'll shoot 35 yards...

Kirby

No problem Kirby!!
I'm best shooting from 135 yds. Just make sure you run the other direction if they're chasing you since I like to shoot them in the back of the head:roll:.

Just pay no attention if you see me pulling down my pants before the action starts. I hate getting crap on my clothes:redface:

SSS

BCRiverBoater
02-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Kirby

Sounds like fun. Count me in as well. Always wanted to try a defender on a grizzly. 35 yards would work.

chilcotin hillbilly
02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Another long claw I shot was in the open and I punched it through the lungs, straight pass through, you would of thought I had spined it as it dropped on the spot. My friends wife last year shot a big boar with her 308 in the lungs that big boar didn'tmake it 30 yards up the beach. It seems to make a difference if the lungs are empty or full???

Gateholio
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Kirby

Sounds like fun...8)

BCRiverBoater
02-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Well 458 Lott outta do it. Some serious lead with some serious energy behind it. Should take out some shoulders I would bet and everything in between.

Gateholio
02-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I should mention that I like the low shoulder shot, but that shot just didn't present itself, I'd certianly take a behind the shoulder shot (like if it was slightly quartering away)

srupp
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
If I can get the shot I certainly would take the quartering away shot through the lungs taking out the oposite (offside) upper leg..I use a .338 wm with 225 barnes bullets..

However I have had great results with rem .350 also with that shot..

Steven

The Hermit
02-12-2009, 11:12 PM
You guys just spoiled my fantasies! :icon_frow I have been thinking a lot about an archery griz hunt... now I'm not so sure I want to go this without a very experienced griz killing back-up shooter and I don't know any personally! Any takers? :)

GoatGuy
02-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Kirby

Pick somebody good. Seen some pretty pathetic shooting when things get close.

elker
02-13-2009, 12:24 AM
It is interesting that no one talk about shooting at the head. Maybe I am stupid to say that, but I can see a grizzly has a quite big head.

Head shot is a kill shot, right?

I am a newbie, never hunted yet.

Gateholio
02-13-2009, 12:41 AM
It is interesting that no one talk about shooting at the head. Maybe I am stupid to say that, but I can see a grizzly has a quite big head.

Head shot is a kill shot, right?

I am a newbie, never hunted yet.

A BRAIN shot is a kill, for sure

But it's real low percentage....and I would never take a brain shot on a bear unless it was coming for me8-)

Camp Cook
02-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Here are some pic's of my grizzly it scores 24 1/16" to make the Boone & Crocket all time record book the skull has to measure a minimum of 24" and the largest is over 29 1/2" if I remember right.

Though bigger than average this isn't the biggest bear by any means but it gives a good idea of why a head shot isn't an easy shot it maybe the only shot that can stop a charge though.

You were stating/questioning that a grizzlies head is huge so why not shoot it in the head?

When you look at the pic's below you see that the width between the inside of the eye socket is approximately 3 1/4" wide and from the nose to the top of the head is appr 5" not a very big target at all another thing is that the skull is how a bear is scored if you damage it the skull is disqualified.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/506/medium/Grizzly_Skull_002.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/506/medium/Grizzly_Skull_003.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/506/medium/Grizzly_Skull_001.jpg

srupp
02-13-2009, 01:21 AM
I have seen two "home videos" of grizzly bears shot with a bow and arrow..it did show "backup" had large calibre rifles..

I was surprised at the closeness of the shot 35 yars or perhaps 40?? but on camera it looked much closer. On both G bears the animals did not make 100 yards to the place they dropped...and yes the bears were shot with a classic behind the shoulder "lung shot" both videos had perfect terrain for the approach...hidden untill the draw...

I was impresssed..HOWEVER (isnt there always..lol ) I need to ask..with the bears dying 100 yards from the place they were shot..they ran away both times..however both bears were shot at 40 yards max. that leaves enough time and distance to do some major damage...should the bear decide to go towards the shooter. But certainly a doable event..
steven

SteadyGirl
02-13-2009, 07:13 AM
8 pages - I'm way to lazy to read all that. Don't forget to keep shooting if you suspect your hit wasn't solid or you see movement. Bullets are two bucks a pop which is the cheapest life insurance out there:biggrin: I always shoot my bears twice, and I suggest that to anyone I hunt bears with.

StoneChaser
02-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Talk about overcomplicating things.....

I'm with Will on this one....hit him in the lungs and get your knife out!

The highly coveted "shoulder shot" is easy to shoot too far forward, resulting in missed vitals or merely a clipped front lobe of the lung.

Be it frontal, broadside, or quartering away, I always take out the lungs and there's always a dead bear a very short distance away.

My favorite shot if presented is a quartering away lung shot that takes out the offside shoulder on the way out....

Camp Cook
02-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Talk about overcomplicating things.....

I'm with Will on this one....hit him in the lungs and get your knife out!

The highly coveted "shoulder shot" is easy to shoot too far forward, resulting in missed vitals or merely a clipped front lobe of the lung.

Be it frontal, broadside, or quartering away, I always take out the lungs and there's always a dead bear a very short distance away.

My favorite shot if presented is a quartering away lung shot that takes out the offside shoulder on the way out....

This is my favorite shot as well, the grizzly I shot last year was @ 230 - 250 yards away I waited for him to turn and when that shot presented itself I fired hitting him with a 300gr Partiton leaving my muzzle @ 2775fps.

Took out both lungs but missed the heart which was the size/shape of a football, the bullet then went thru the off side front leg and exited.

Bear made it 75 yards max into the thickest bush I ever dreamed of having to go in after a grizzly in...

sawmill
02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
A BRAIN shot is a kill, for sure

But it's real low percentage....and I would never take a brain shot on a bear unless it was coming for me8-)
Not to mention that if you break the orbit bone the skull can not be scored and entered in the book,same as shooting one antler off a record buck.

uraarchr
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Theres a hunting dvd that shows a grizz or maybe brown thats taken w a bow.3 or 4 arrows later.anyways at one point it charges the hunter&guide.ultimate hunting for na big game 11 w jack br... somethin .awesome hunt .looks like the bear was hit first a little far back...hair raising.sure takes the bear a long time to die.those of you who have taken grizz...does it mostly take a while for them to die.I know from watching vids that sometimes they drop quick.but is that rare?will they mostly run downhill when wounded?

Rubicon500
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
This vid goes to show you dont need a howizter to Kill a grizzly, I sure as shit would not be shooting one with a bow tho.

http://www.bowtube.com/media/272/ALASKA_BOWHUNT/

BCRiverBoater
02-13-2009, 11:50 AM
One can say if aim for shoulder and miss forward you are in trouble. Well if aim for vitals and miss a little back then you have a gut shot bear. Either way the bottom line is you have to hit where you are aiming. Shot placement is key!

BCrams
02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
This vid goes to show you dont need a howizter to Kill a grizzly, I sure as shit would not be shooting one with a bow tho.

http://www.bowtube.com/media/272/ALASKA_BOWHUNT/

Yep. Slightly quartering away and behind the shoulder.

Although I thought the arrow was a touch farther back than I would prefer.

uraarchr
02-13-2009, 02:38 PM
wow thats quick!good vid!

Rubicon500
02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
yepp I think when I get my grizz LEH this spring I will go with the "ultimate weapon". Start off with the Patrick Swayze in roadhouse Throat Grab followed up with a Chuck Norris Roundhouse kick to the chops you know as well as I do that equals 1 dead mall fuggin barrrr.. guns are for pussys:razz:

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Nullo smullo!! The stench of rotting whale is a pretty good cover scent.:?

The "internal" deoderant.....when my insides end up in my shorts there's no deoderant strong enough in the world to mask my scent:redface:

SSS

Will
02-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Kirby
You gotta know I'm in buddy !

Of course I sold the stainless 458 I had on that dreadfull Bear hunt :rolleyes:.......but I reckon the 44 could still put you down in short order if things go wrong 4U :lol:

Play Safe ! ;-)

BCRiverBoater
02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I just watched the most ridiculous shot on tv. On "Relentless Pursuit" and a guy stalked a 9' grizzly with a bow. The bear was up wind and about to go into the alders and low lying brush and disappear for good. The hunter had only closed to about 70 yards by the time the bear was walking away about to go into the brush. Once the bear turned around he stood up and ran right at the bear. He ran to about 25-35 yards. The bear heard him so stopeed broadside and turned his head to see what it was.

The darn guide was still back behind or beside the camera guy with the rifle for back up. The bow hunter was by himself just standing there with his bow. Looked like he did have a pistol on his hip but most likely would not have had time to draw.

The bow hunter drew his bow while the bear stood there. The run and draw took all of 10 seconds. He shot and the bear drop dead in his tracks. The hunter dropped his bow and turned the tje camera man and cheered and danced and did not even look towards the bear. When the camera walked up the bear the arrow was about 3 inches from its right eye. Right between the eyes with a bow and the bear was dead. Instantly killed him. I have not seen nor heard of this ever when it comes to bow hunting. But it worked nicely. He had time for the vital shot but not sure why he did what he did?

Will
02-15-2009, 06:23 PM
The bow hunter drew his bow while the bear stood there. The run and draw took all of 10 seconds. He shot and the bear drop dead in his tracks. The hunter dropped his bow and turned the tje camera man and cheered and danced and did not even look towards the bear. When the camera walked up the bear the arrow was about 3 inches from its right eye. Right between the eyes with a bow and the bear was dead. Instantly killed him. I have not seen nor heard of this ever when it comes to bow hunting. But it worked nicely. He had time for the vital shot but not sure why he did what he did?
I was hoping there was gonna be a Happy Mauling at the end.....

Ambush
02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
If you watched the whole DVD you'll notice that he takes alot of low percentage shots. The grizzly is a case of the "Hail Mary" working out. The bear was quartering towards him, but I think he still took the shot, hoping for vitals, but fluked and dropped him with the head shot. Not planned, but it worked.