PDA

View Full Version : Best #age for a novice?

XMD70
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Okay, I'm 57 years old and looking to get into bow hunting. I'm a pretty experienced gun hunter, but looking for a new challenge. I know the minimum poundage for a hunting bow is 40. Most folks seem to hunt with higher power bows, up to 70#. Would I notice a huge difference in trajectory/arrow placement between 40# and 60#?

Bowzone_Mikey
02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Trajectory yes ... Placement ... if you know how to judge yardage and aim properly and have a bow that is set up correctly for the poundage and therefore speed ..... then no

Ron.C
02-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Agree with Mikey, yes, flatter trajectory with a heavier draw weight. But fast arrow speed won't help a bit with arrorw placement if you are drawing too much weight, it will hurt your accuracy if anything. It doesn't matter how fast or flat the bow shoots, if you are drawing too much weight to get that fast arrow speed, you'll never shoot the bow well. First and foremost, get a bow that's comfortable to shoot. If that's only 45 pounds, then so be it. Like Mikey said if you know how to estimate yardage accurately, or even better use a laser rangefinder. You'll be more accurate and deadly with a lower poundage bow that you shoot well than a heavy one that you struggle to maintain consistency.

tomahawk
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I am older than you and shoot 60 lbs, have you tired pulling different weights to see what your limitation is approx?

Bow Walker
02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
45 to 50 ponds in a recurve or a longbow should do you just fine. Remember that the poundage of traditional equipment is measured at 28" of draw length. If your draw is longer then you'll get higher poundage.

For a compound bow - anything around 60 pounds is ample. The compounds these days are very easy to draw and with the accepted 80% letoff that is prevalent in bow hunting, you should have no problem what ever in holding that weight.