PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Fishing License Sale

huntwriter
02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I just received the following email from my good friend Bill Otway, informing me of changes in the sale of fishing licenses.

Members should be aware that as we go to press with this newsletter we have been advised that the Provincial Government has now ruled that the only way you can get a fishing licence for the coming year, is over the internet.

Understand you will not be able to get your licence as you normally would at the local sporting goods store. You either have to do this from your own computer, if you have one and an internet connection or find a friend or a commercial outlet that can provide you with internet access. To date we have been unable to find a dealing in Merritt who is willing to purchase a new computer, a printer, paper and ink and set this up in their place of business just to sell fishing licenses. So be forewarned!

Of course this action only makes sense to our government. They are spending our licence funds and getting many of us involved in projects to increase participation in recreational fishing and increase licence sales and then, naturally they go about making it as difficult as possible for anglers to obtain a licence. This will mean, in this writers experience that not only will there not be more people buying licenses but many who now buy will no longer do so. The inmates have taken over the asylum!

Your current licence expires on March 31st.

Bill Otway I fully agree with Bill when he says, “The inmates have taken over the asylum!”, only our glorious BC squirrel brain government could come up with such lunacy.

Johnnybear
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I just received the following email from my good friend Bill Otway, informing me of changes in the sale of fishing licenses.

I fully agree with Bill when he says, “The inmates have taken over the asylum!”, only our glorious BC squirrel brain government could come up with such lunacy.

X2. Complete stupidity on our Government's part:sad:.

Thor Rider 88
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
X3 thats so dumb

Browningmirage
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
That is actually pretty darn funny. Not an issue for us on HBC, because apparently we all have a computer to feed our addiction to this forum. Either way though, it is pretty much as off the wall as it gets...definately not a straight brain thinking there.

elkdom
02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
so how can they assure "residency" ??? or identity??? maybe before they get TOO STUPID ??:eek:they(BC Prov gov) should implement a system to identify hunters/fishermen such as Alberta uses in its licensing ,that being what Alberta calls the "W.I.N.#"or Alberta "wildlife identity number", you cannot purchase hunting, fishing or guide licenses in Alberta without the WIN#, keeps track of the bad guys! :!:

ultramagbob
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I think this is a joke..just like the grouse tags

PGK
02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I'll believe it when I see it on the ministry website.

500grhollowpoint
02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Forsure. I would get mine over the net if possible. May be a miscomunication. If they were only available on the net crappy tire etc would be setting up a kiosk... buying over the net is not feesable not everyone has a credit card or paypal....

And I fw'd the grouse thing to a buncha buddies who got all worked up....lol.

jayrod
02-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I grew up on a computer so getting a license doesn't bother me. What concerns me is the middle man (our local sports stores) that get cut out. I'm not sure that they would make to much on the license but I always enjoy a trip down to Hymart to visit and get ready for another season, usually end up buying a few new lures while I'm there. It won't keep me away but it's one less trip I HAVE to walk through their doors and with everything else available online it only makes it harder for these smaller retailers to stay alive.

Ddog
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
it doesnt bother me any, however remember the ol saying...
Believe none of what you read, and half of what you see.
doesnt our stores make any money off of fishing licenses ? Isnt it part of their income? or is it that minimal that the government doesnt care as well as the store owners, more of a hassle than whats its worth. personally i dont believe it, what of low income families that cant afford a computer? i know its rare but they are out there.

02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Sounds to FISHY even for the Govmt.Maybe someone was a sleep at a meeting and heard computer and has it all screwed up,who knows SNAFU is a daily Govmnt. thing

Deerwhacker
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Its true, and ive been mad about this since i heard about it 6 months ago. The fishing stores actually benefit from this not having to hire employees for the sole purpose of filling out licenses , not worth it for retailers considering they make about 40 cents a license. But unlike them i dont have a credit card so this is just another inconvenience brought about by the government , so to fish next year I need to apply for a credit card and buy a printer .. way to go government

ElkMasterC
02-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Oh no, Neighbour...the grouse tags are a comin'!

Take cover, Ma!

thunderheart
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
something smells fishy

lilhoss
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Been getting my saltwater licence online for years now.It works great.I can buy mine,my wife's,my 2 kids,and purchase any additional salmon stamps etc,just as if it were at a vendor.Most of the time I need to get it "after hours" so it works for me. As far as proof of residency,it is filled out on your licence,so if you want to lie go ahead.It is only something a fisheries officer or CO will look for.Paid with visa,off we go fishing,great idea.If you don't have a computer,go to a library,it's free.I wished we could do that with a migratory game bird license(ducks,geese),as I can only get ours here at the stupid post office.Closed on weekends,and I work during the week,hard to get one!!.

Browningmirage
02-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Bill Otway is solid, might want to keep your eyes on this one, i wouldnt bank on this being made up

NaStY
02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I really doubt i will be buying a license this year then. If everyone did the same thing, our government in that area would go broke, or at the very least get a good sting from it. I am no longer supporting what they are giving. Every year we pay more and get less. I say BANN the fisheries.......

huntwriter
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
it doesnt bother me any, however remember the ol saying...
Believe none of what you read, and half of what you see.
doesnt our stores make any money off of fishing licenses ? Isnt it part of their income? or is it that minimal that the government doesnt care as well as the store owners, more of a hassle than whats its worth. personally i dont believe it, what of low income families that cant afford a computer? i know its rare but they are out there.

In this case you can believe everything you read and been told. I phoned up my local hunting goods store to confirm what the above message said and was told that this is correct. No more fishing licenses over the counter unless the store has a computer, Internet access, paper and a printer in the store providing it as a service to customers. In that case it is likely that you're charged with an additional handling fee on top of the license fee.:wink:

huntwriter
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
For those that think this is a joke read the Minister of Environment, Barry Penner's message on the gov. website (http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/minister.html).

As I suspected, only vendors with Internet access and a printer in the store will be able to sell licenses to customers, and this comes at a price, the vendor is not going to do that as a favor to his customers.

This is the biggest government lunacy since bringing the Olympics to BC in 2012.

PGK
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Bill Otway is solid, might want to keep your eyes on this one, i wouldnt bank on this being made up

Bill Otway is a little crazy

HW, where on that wesbite does it say paper licensing will no longer be available? That release is dated Sept 6, 2007!

"Vendors will still play an important role. In the coming months, anglers who are not comfortable making their purchases online, can either buy their licences from an e-licence-equipped vendor, or continue to purchase paper licences if they prefer. Again, we are giving you more choices about how, where and when you buy your licence"

BIGHUNTERFISH
02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
For those that think this is a joke read the Minister of Environment, Barry Penner's message on the gov. website (http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/minister.html).

As I suspected, only vendors with Internet access and a printer in the store will be able to sell licenses to customers, and this comes at a price, the vendor is not going to do that as a favor to his customers.

This is the biggest government lunacy since bringing the Olympics to BC in 2012.

Were getting the winter Olympics in 2010 and 2012 ,I have a computer and I didnt even know that. What is the big deal about buying the license online, you ever heard of online banking.Some guys like to complain about everything,Huntwriter I am sure if you found a wallet with fifty bucks in it you would complain that its not a hundred.:shock:

huntwriter
02-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Bill Otway is a little crazy

HW, where on that wesbite does it say paper licensing will no longer be available? That release is dated Sept 6, 2007!

"Vendors will still play an important role. In the coming months, anglers who are not comfortable making their purchases online, can either buy their licences from an e-licence-equipped vendor, or continue to purchase paper licences if they prefer. Again, we are giving you more choices about how, where and when you buy your licence"

Yes it is from 2007 and now they taken out the part of "or continue to purchase paper licences if they prefer" and you're left with "e-licence-equipped vendor".

Maybe Bill is a little crazy but he has done more for fishing, hunting and wildlife conservation then many others on here.;-)

To put up with some of the trash and insanity in the government and on the committees of fishery and wildlife he's on he has to be a little bit crazy to keep his sanity.:smile:

PGK
02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Agreed, but MoE would surely have to have gone completely off the deep end by getting rid of paper licensing. Talk about a barrier to recruitment!!

ElkMasterC
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM

Ah Great....we get 'em TWICE now?

Geez..I guess that means the Harrison Lake Rd is a go.

huntwriter
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
What is the big deal about buying the license online, you ever heard of online banking.Some guys like to complain about everything,Huntwriter I am sure if you found a wallet with fifty bucks in it you would complain that its not a hundred.:shock:

Some folks in rural areas still have dial up connections. By the time they are done purchasing over the Internet they have been cut off a few times. Some folks do not trust computers with their financial transactions, including me, and quit rightly so. Many older folks do not have computers and some that do find it difficult to navigate trough complicated procedures, I guess we just tell these folks to quit fishing.

For me this is not a problem because I have another license vendor that has e-licensing I also can purchase a license over the computer. It’s not about complaining. It’s about the government making things unnecessary difficult and complicated instead of easier.;)

huntwriter
02-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Agreed, but MoE would surely have to have gone completely off the deep end by getting rid of paper licensing. Talk about a barrier to recruitment!!

Well that is exactly my thinking too.:smile:

Moosenose
02-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm struggling with this one.
Normally, a big change like this would be phased in over at least a year?
What about tourists coming from out of province or out of country. Not everyone brings a computer. These are the high dollar licences also. Hope they come to their senses, could have a big time negative influence on tourism.

thunderheart
02-10-2009, 07:46 AM
ahh gawd bless the lieberals... remember this in a couple of months good people
as to olimp dicx 2012 .. i think he ment that is the end of the world on the mayan calander ..lol .. end of the world as we know it lol lol

one-shot-wonder
02-10-2009, 09:00 AM

You can only buy grouse tags online too?????:mad:
Man this sucks!:lol:

J_T
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm surprised at the comments here. I am a proponent for online services. What I see before me in the posts is fear of change.

It's a new world boys and girls. I too have fear about this, but my fear is based on the question of whether or not the system design and development is based on user need and client consultation. Whether the system will perform as it is expected.

The BC Government have a number of online systems and they virtually lead all of Canada in how they manage data and systems. Good on them. In a new environmentally sensitive world, seems to make sense to me to save the fuel and not drive to the local store to buy your license. Use the fuel for going fishing.

An online system will provide government with immediate information about who is fishing, what they are fishing for and will provide a new communication tool between Gov and fishing enthusiasts.

FYI. When asked, 80% of constituents prefer to do business with Government online, or remotely, rather than face to face.

I suspect the business case that moved this forward also recognized administrative efficiencies. And that means that Gov is saving you, the taxpayer money.

happygilmore
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I suspect the business case that moved this forward also recognized administrative efficiencies. And that means that Gov is saving you, the taxpayer money.

Really, so how much do you think the fees will reduce?:? More to the point they are reducing their cost! and saving the cut that buisness got (not much anyways)
I like having the ability to do it online but I need to have choices, what do you do when the system crashes thursday before long weekend? I've used gov't mapping program and sometimes it's down as much as it's up.

J_T
02-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Really, so how much do you think the fees will reduce?:? More to the point they are reducing their cost! and saving the cut that buisness got (not much anyways)
This is a good question. But why do we always think if one thing saves them money that it results in a reduced cost? It's an economic engine, all parts dependant on another. What this should allow them to do, is re-allocate resources and focus on better services in other areas.

coaster
02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
For those of you that don't have a credit card, go to your Govt. Agents office and pay cash,I for one don't like to give the Govt. any more info than I have to. Rember Gordon Campbell has given our medical info to another country to process. I don't want to give him my credit card number..

Gateholio
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
This will make things much easier...I can recall driving form place to place trying to find someone open to buy a last minute fishing licence on a numbr of occasions....:tongue:

Online, I can buy myself one, get my dad one, get all the aplicable tags like sturgeon or salmon and be done with it.

Onesock
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Hope the gov'y does this with hunting licence's and tags also. You never know when a guy has to get a tag late at night.

huntwriter
02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
You are exactly right JT...

Also people really need to get over this fear of shopping online. The servers that are used online are more secure then if you were to use your debit or credit card thru a POS machine in a store. The encryption is unreal good online for secure payments.

It has nothing to do with fear. It has to with OPTIONS, that is what customer service should be all about and no we do not NEED to go with the program. This is Canada and not some Banana Republic dictatorship where people NEED to put up with every foolish whim of the government.

Internet is not more secure then person to person dealings. Talk to a computer programmer and he will give you an education on that. Try to convince the Nova Scotia bank customers who lost all their savings to a computer hacker a few years ago. The gun registry computer has been hacked and had personal information of gun owners retrieved not once but three times in the last four years. The computer system at the Vancouver hospital has been hacked two years ago and confidential medical reports of 500 patients has been retrieved. Over the last three years parts of the BC government computer system has been successfully hacked and confidential information retrieved twice. Computers are secure only some of the time not most of the time and certainly not safer then dealing with a real person.

But like I said. For me it’s about customer CHOICE and not about me or what I would like.:wink: I could go on and list numerous locations where e-licensing has been made the only option and then has been reversed again because the license sales went drastically down.:wink:

Barracuda
02-10-2009, 12:29 PM
with online purchases being so easy for the average consumer i would say that they would see an increase in sales if this were available. no more going from store to store or haveing to deal with some counter surfing twit :tongue:

PGK
02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I think there's some confusion.

Fishing licenses can already be bought online. What huntwriter is suggesting is that Bill Otway is saying you will no longer be able to walk into X fishing and hunting shop and get them to fill you out a paper license.

I find that idea rather absurd. I think we're playing a game of telephone here.....

Othmar, you've been wrong about several other things in the past, including calling a pikeminnow a pink salmon, so forgive me if I take this whole thing with a tablespoon of salt!

Barracuda
02-10-2009, 12:32 PM
so is the sky falling???? :shock:

J_T
02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
It has nothing to do with fear. It has to with OPTIONS, that is what customer service should be all about and no we do not NEED to go with the program. This is Canada and not some Banana Republic dictatorship where people NEED to put up with every foolish whim of the government.

Internet is not more secure then person to person dealings. Talk to a computer programmer and he will give you an education on that. Try to convince the Nova Scotia bank customers who lost all their savings to a computer hacker a few years ago. The gun registry computer has been hacked and had personal information of gun owners retrieved not once but three times in the last four years. The computer system at the Vancouver hospital has been hacked two years ago and confidential medical reports of 500 patients has been retrieved. Over the last three years parts of the BC government computer system has been successfully hacked and confidential information retrieved twice. Computers are secure only some of the time not most of the time and certainly not safer then dealing with a real person.

But like I said. For me it’s about customer CHOICE and not about me or what I would like.:wink: I could go on and list numerous locations where e-licensing has been made the only option and then has been reversed again because the license sales went drastically down.:wink:

I think PGK has it right. Ottmar. Not accepting change has everything to do with fear. Fear of change, fear that my needs are not being met. That's one reason bowhunters in this province have such a hard time bringing change. Entrenched people fear it.

Customer service is about sales by retail vendors. Government simply provides efficient and transparent service in support of an activity. It isn't about choices. Government, in the best interests of the taxpayer should find the most efficient means to do that. NOT provide you with a Starbuck's latte every time you step into line. It's about wise spending of hard given taxpayer dollars. In return for a shift in service delivery, the system can and generally is enhanced in other ways. IE better GIS mapping, the ability to do business with Government 24/7.

I agree that a face to face encounter is the most secure, but you might want ask anyone that's ever bought something illegal on the street how secure they feel. Do you always feel secure in a street market in a foreign country? The internet is secure. Perhaps I should provide you with some insight into what I do. Across Canada and abroad, I provide business advise, build (programm) online GIS business systems (that rely on electronic user id log on and electronic payment) and change management processes, moving Government's from the 70's into the new millenium.

I have no knowledge of the BC computer systems having been hacked into.

Government has a responsibility to upgrade. We have a huge transition coming with an aging workforce. Much of the intelligence in Government is contained in the people who work for it. As people retire, we must transition this knowledge, and it can't be put into a book. Young new workers today, require the business rules of tomorrow to be functioning in an online system and so do it's people.

I respect that all effort must be taken to ensure that someone without the want or skill to conclude business online, must have the ability to do so. I'm sure it will.

Gateholio
02-10-2009, 01:24 PM
When ATM machines were first introduced, my grandmother said "You won't ever catch me using one of those!" I said "I like being able to do banking 24/7"
:cool:

Anyway, where is the official Gv't press release? That shoudl tell us what we need to know.

huntwriter
02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
...including calling a pikeminnow a pink salmon, so forgive me if I take this whole thing with a tablespoon of salt! And just where did I doo that?:roll:
On my website there is a reference to salmon, bass and trout and the picture shows me with a pikeminnow but it says nowhere that it is a salmon.

I have not been wrong, I may have a different opinion on some issues, but never wrong. Everything I stated here and elsewhere can be backed up.

I am not against the idea of e-licensing but I do find it ludicrous to make it the only option available for whatever reason that might be. I am a firm believer in OPTIONS be that in hunting, fishing or everyday life. Given the strong oposition against that type of system it seems I am not the only one that thinks e-licensing as the ONLY option is ludicrous.

If a person like Bill Otway, who is on the government fishery committee and many other fishing and hunting related committees, takes his valuable time to provide me with information about changes to come, I have no reason to doubt his professional insight and knowledge. Especially not if his information is obtained directly from the Minister in charge.

That’s all.

Carry on! I am done with this.

sawmill
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
How do you get a hard copy to show the CO? Sorry if that has been asked and answerd already.I do not have a printer .And surely they can`t just switch over that quickly from shops to just internet only.

PGK
02-10-2009, 01:46 PM
How do you get a hard copy to show the CO? Sorry if that has been asked and answerd already.I do not have a printer .And surely they can`t just switch over that quickly from shops to just internet only.

Buy the license online, print out as many copies as you need.

J_T
02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
How do you get a hard copy to show the CO? Sorry if that has been asked and answerd already.I do not have a printer .And surely they can`t just switch over that quickly from shops to just internet only.If they've done it properly, you'll still be able to go to a GA office log on and use their public terminal service purchase and make a print. It's really no big deal.

Salty
02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Anyway, where is the official Gv't press release? That shoudl tell us what we need to know.

The same place as the new copyright legislation me thinks. :lol:

ElkMasterC
02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Go to the section on Grouse tags, there's a link in the far left hand corner.
Says : "Welcome to the 20th Century at Long Last"
Click on that, say 3 "Hail Marys" and Four "How's Ya father"s, and it prints out a Fishing License and one Free Blue grouse tag.
Try it if you don't believe me!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/TowerofShit.gif

Deerwhacker
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Allot of you guys arent getting the point. E-licenses are already available, it is now going to be harder for some not all people to buy a license. yes there is ATMs but are you not aloud to do your banking by talking face to face with a teller????

Gateholio
02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Allot of you guys arent getting the point. E-licenses are already available, it is now going to be harder for some not all people to buy a license. yes there is ATMs but are you not aloud to do your banking by talking face to face with a teller????

You have seen the official Gv't press release?

PGK
02-10-2009, 08:37 PM

I will wait to see some real evidence before I believe that MoE is doing away with paper licensing. Bill Otway sending out a bulletin does not hold much water with me. MoE is currently on a major recruitment kick, and if they took away paper licensing, they would lose a lot of angler participation!!

I highly doubt that this will happen.

ElkMasterC
02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
We get it.
It's been a pain in the ass for years, getting licenses.
Ontario has a good system with the Outdoors card.
It's like a credit card with a magnetic strip on it, with your info encoded.
You take it into a retailer, buy your little stickers, and stick 'em on the back of the card. Hunting? Fishing?
Done. I assume you can buy 'em online as well.
I've used the online fish licensing for years in BC.
Wish they'd do it with hunting. That stupid line-up always drives me insane (I know,a short putt, not a drive).
Buying them in stores is a pain, and it should be fazed out. I'm sure there will be ways to buy them in person..(A Library, perhaps, or something else)....the sky is not falling (yet).

This article is Copyright.
No part of it may be reproduced by mechanical means or otherwise, without first sending me a fart in a mason jar.

Moosehunter64
02-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I think someone has misinterpruted what they have heard.From what I have read you are going to be able to buy hunting and fresh water fishing licences online but not just online.This makes it easier for people who live some distances from outlets who sell licences to buy them more readily and more conveniently for some.So I think everyone is getting to excited over nothing.Just my 2 cents. LOL.

Deerwhacker
02-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I spend allot of time in my local shop and they will not be issued freshwater licenses next year and online purchase will be the only way to get one. saltwater licenses will still be available. My bud at the shop told me about this months ago.He got the info from the same people that issues the shop the licenses.

Johnnybear
02-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Ok I know you can already buy them online. I have never done it. When you go into a sporting good store or Canuck Tire etc. you have to show them some i.d. like a drivers license. How does the proof of identity work with the online licenses? I know only one license# for saltwater and one license # for freshwater can be issued to a single individual but what if that person using the online system had a way of obtaining multiple licenses with alternate i.d. etc. etc. or other means. I'm just trying to look at the big picture here.

I don't think this is as simple as some seem to put it. It will bring down recruitment and it will effect people period unless the stores etc. do it for you on the spot or have a terminal set up in store for you to do it yourself. Yes alot of folks will just start doing from home(and have allready) but.......

I don't know how many times myself and I'm assuming many others have gone out the door and half way there gone oh sh*t I forgot to get my license and had to run to the nearest retailer. How about the times when your part way their and happen to get a call from buddy and they say what's happening, you say going fishin, they say can I come, you say got a license, they say no, you say we'll stop and get one on the way etc. etc.

308Lover
02-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Alberta has a "win" system. (Wildlife ID NUmber) You fill out an application just once. They mail you a card and then any store with a computer can plug in your card and the computer spits out a paper license. You pay the clerk. I get a license most years to fish with relatives there. It's quick and easy for out of province especially. Hassle free. Hunting licenses also. The application is as quick as some illiterate writing out the usual fresh water license. Hope this is what BC does.I don't think sporting stores will be cut out once it's under way if they follow this model.

huntwriter
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
We had a board meeting last night and among other things we discussed the e-licensing only option. Reports form the BCWF president for the Shuswap Region confirmed that indeed the e-licensing will be the only option to get a fishing license from this year onward. Several other reports from board members inquiring at sporting goods stores where told the same. Wal-Mart in the Shuswhap Region will stop selling fishing licenses as they are not willing to fork out the additional cost for new computers with internet access and printers just to sell fishing licenses. Some of the Canadian Tire stores are already equipped to sell e-licenses others consider it, pending sales volume.

Several outdoor goods stores that we have contacted in the area said that they would not offer e-licensing service due to the high initial cost involved to set the system up. The government will not refund the cost and neither will the vendor get paid anymore for this service as they did under the old system. So despite the lack of official press release from the government on the subject that some of you so eagerly demand as prove, it has already been implemented. But that is nothing new. Our brilliant liberal government has a long track record of implementing new decision without informing people or do so in the last minute. E-licensing is from now on the only option to get a fishing license unless we can convince the government to reverse this utterly foolish decision.

To that end our club has decided, and so have other clubs, to write a letter of protest to the government. We welcome e-licensing as an additional option but not as the ONLY option. If e-licensing is the only option available it will make it very difficult for many fishers, rural people which do not have high speed Internet access and fishing tourists, to obtain a license and this is counterproductive to our economy and stands in direct opposition of making fishing more accessible and to recruit more new fishers into our ranks.

Now before some of you jump up and accuse me, again, of been afraid of change.:smile: Let me tell you I am not. A good part of my living is made from the Internet. In other words, I am quite commuter and Internet savvy.;) I have designed, operate and maintain all my own websites and blogs. This is not about ME. Nothing I do or stand for is about ME. It is about options that suit everybody. The system we had was perfect. People that like to purchase their fishing license on the Internet could already do so. Others like to go to a store to purchase a license could do so too. We had options that where convenient for everybody and that is what it should be all about and not just what is convenient for a particular individual.

jml11
02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I am all for the e-licensing but as you stated Huntwriter, as an additional option. I would prefer to buy my license online but that is only because I find internet sales much easier to do these days. Also, going to these stores just to buy a license is incovinient and many stores don't like doing them and aren't shy in bitching about it to customers (as if it's my fault I came into your store an inconvenienced you by buying a license you elected to sell!). Maybe store operators were complaining to the government which has resulted in the e-licensing only options? I think that if there was e-licensing and store bought licenses (and we all knew about both options...), the e-license sales would eventually overtake the store sales and become the primary method of license distribution. Don't most people buy their special sheep and elk LEH's online? I know I do anyways.

E-licensing will make it really difficult for non-residents to acquire fishing licences, especially in remote camps. I worked as a fishing guide at a remote resort and had a lot of non-resident come and buy short term fishing licenses when they arrived. We were a long ways from civilization and definitely no computer or internet access. Not sure what that lodge will do now, satellite internet I supose...what a pain.

NaStY
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I am all for the e-licensing but as you stated Huntwriter, as an additional option. I would prefer to buy my license online but that is only because I find internet sales much easier to do these days. Also, going to these stores just to buy a license is incovinient and many stores don't like doing them and aren't shy in bitching about it to customers (as if it's my fault I came into your store an inconvenienced you by buying a license you elected to sell!). Maybe store operators were complaining to the government which has resulted in the e-licensing only options? I think that if there was e-licensing and store bought licenses (and we all knew about both options...), the e-license sales would eventually overtake the store sales and become the primary method of license distribution. Don't most people buy their special sheep and elk LEH's online? I know I do anyways.

E-licensing will make it really difficult for non-residents to acquire fishing licences, especially in remote camps. I worked as a fishing guide at a remote resort and had a lot of non-resident come and buy short term fishing licenses when they arrived. We were a long ways from civilization and definitely no computer or internet access. Not sure what that lodge will do now, satellite internet I supose...what a pain.

I dont buy anything online. Never have and prob never will. What are they going to do for people without a credit card and or a computer.

huntwriter
02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I dont buy anything online. Never have and prob never will. What are they going to do for people without a credit card and or a computer.

For people like you and many others the only option will be to find a store that offers e-licensing service, like a Canadian Tire. This is exactly what I have been talking about. Sure its convenient for some but for most it is not. Write a letter to the Minister of Fisheries and tell him in no uncertain words what you think of that lunacy. It's all you can do.

Johnnybear
02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
For people like you and many others the only option will be to find a store that offers e-licensing service, like a Canadian Tire. This is exactly what I have been talking about. Sure its convenient for some but for most it is not. Write a letter to the Minister of Fisheries and tell him in no uncertain words what you think of that lunacy. It's all you can do.

I'm writing one tonight. Thanks Hw.

I can't understand how some stores are pushing for the e-license. I see folks at the sporting goods store getting their licenses and almost always have about 20+ dollars in tackle to go with it. To me it's a good thing for the stores. Sure the employees might complain about it but in the end I think the owners should be keeping records or data (some probably do) on how much tackle sales there was with each license purchase. It's kind of like the loss leader.

Again as have never purchase an e-license is there any concern for abuse of the system?

crazysheephunter
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Can someebody help me out please, im new to this site and am trying to figure out how to post a thread.
Thanks

FLHTCUI
02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Only the big chain stores will enjoy the e- licesenc.
How will the smaller mom/pop sporting goods shops fair when they have to buy a computer, fancy flat screen monitor, lazer printer and have not only another dedicated busines phone line with internet ( added costs ) but also ahve to maintain the added eqiupment.
Plus the added risk of abuse is to great a risk for me as a sportsman, after all we are encouraged to ORR when we see infractions ...
But then again, the government is at least 2 yrs behind in accounting for game tags and lics. anyways....
No win for me.
Just my .05 this morning.
Rob

FLHTCUI
02-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Only the big chain stores will enjoy the e- licesenc.
How will the smaller mom/pop sporting goods shops fair when they have to buy a computer, fancy flat screen monitor, lazer printer and have not only another dedicated busines phone line with internet ( added costs ) but also ahve to maintain the added eqiupment.
Plus the added risk of abuse is to great a risk for me as a sportsman, after all we are encouraged to ORR when we see infractions ...
But then again, the government is at least 2 yrs behind in accounting for game tags and lics. anyways....
No win for me.
Just my .05 this morning.
Rob
one last note, the goverment has told retialers they must go this route or they wont be selling any licesence, fishing or hunting , they did consult the retailers, but obvioulsy the bigger ones got their wishes....

vanislehunter1
02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
wow next thing you know you'll have to get your leh online. And then it will be plain crazy

CanuckShooter
02-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Don't worry they are so easy to duplicate you'll be able to buy
counter-feet at 1/4 the price governments are charging.:shock:

jml11
02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Don't worry they are so easy to duplicate you'll be able to buy
counter-feet at 1/4 the price governments are charging.:shock:

Buying counterfeit won't make it legal to fish??? I could almost guarantee that if you are checked by a CO or fisheries officer they will record the serial number and if that number is not registered in the database you will get dealt a heafty fine and may lose you priviledges to fish in the future. You might as not even carry license if that is what you plan on doing. Licenses are cheap, not worth it.

CanuckShooter
02-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I've never seen them record anything, just a quick glance ask a bunch of questions like how many fish you got....I don't doubt some people even make thier own hunting licences and tags....not big time like printing of $100 bills but still very easy to accomplish.

We should just be able to buy a 5 year fishing license, have another little mark on our drivers license....no more fake licenses.

srupp
02-15-2009, 09:00 AM
My ONLY concern is I STILL am being tolf even by my bank that personal information is NOT secure online...I have never bought anything online..dont want to lose my $$$$$ through identity theft...I prefer the going in and getting it personally.

So can I STILL go into the Government Agents office and pay in cash..??they can e-mail the application.

WE now have NOWHERE IN WILLIAMS lake to buy SALT WATER LICENSES , SALMON TAGS ETC...:mad:

my rant

Steven

longwalk
02-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm surprised at the comments here. I am a proponent for online services. What I see before me in the posts is fear of change.

It's a new world boys and girls. I too have fear about this, but my fear is based on the question of whether or not the system design and development is based on user need and client consultation. Whether the system will perform as it is expected.

The BC Government have a number of online systems and they virtually lead all of Canada in how they manage data and systems. Good on them. In a new environmentally sensitive world, seems to make sense to me to save the fuel and not drive to the local store to buy your license. Use the fuel for going fishing.

An online system will provide government with immediate information about who is fishing, what they are fishing for and will provide a new communication tool between Gov and fishing enthusiasts.

FYI. When asked, 80% of constituents prefer to do business with Government online, or remotely, rather than face to face.

I do not think that there is any cost savings to us because unless I am severely mistaken the MOE's website is showing the cost of the basic licence has actually increased, guess what folks, bend over and take it. There is a reason why so many people on this forum do not know about it and that is because the government knows it is not the most popular move so it was done quietly.

Fisher-Dude
02-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I do not think that there is any cost savings to us because unless I am severely mistaken the MOE's website is showing the cost of the basic licence has actually increased, guess what folks, bend over and take it. There is a reason why so many people on this forum do not know about it and that is because the government knows it is not the most popular move so it was done quietly.

You are severely mistaken. The basic freshwater fishing license has been $36 for several years.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/

Fisher-Dude
02-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Mr Otway is wrong too:

Where and How to Purchase a Licence

On September 6, 2007, the B.C. Government launched a new e-licensing (http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/) service to make it easier than ever for anglers to purchase recreational fishing licences. This web site allows individuals to purchase and pay online for a Freshwater Fishing Licence for recreational purposes. You can also buy a recreational fishing licence:

from one of the many fishing licence vendors (http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/lvs/) throughout B.C.;
over the counter at a Service BC (http://www.servicebc.gov.bc.ca/) office;
over the web using a community access terminal (http://www.servicebc.gov.bc.ca/services/cat/) at a Service BC office or a
FrontCounter BC (http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/) office.To find the location of the Government Agent office closest to you, refer to the Blue Pages in a phone directory or go to our search page (http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/lvs/). For calls within B.C., call Enquiry BC toll free at 1-800-663-7867 and request to be transferred to the closest Government Agent for assistance, if required.

Gateholio
02-15-2009, 01:43 PM
This could b an opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone for the forward thinking retailer. Set up a computer kiosk with printer, and people can come in to get licenses. The big complaint of retailers and licenses is that it takes up staff time for little return.

This way the customer spends his own time filing out the form online, the staff just take his money, and the customer is also there to make extra purchases when getting his FL.

In every challenge, there is an opportunity.

huntwriter
02-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Actually for a very very very slim minority it won't be convenient... Here in Merritt NOBODY will sell licenses anymore and so are many other rural areas. These people, if they do not have high-speed Internet access, will have to drive many miles just to get a fishing license. Like I said for me this is not a problem because I have a computer and Internet access. But there are many others that don’t. More then you think. But I guess these people do not count in your opinion. I, on the other hand think of other peoples convenience too and not only for myself.

As for those cheap ass merchants that say they won't shell out any money for a computer or printer with internet access I say....get with the program....because I hardly know any stores that don't already have a computer hooked to the internet...especially a store that sells guns. A store does not need a computer and Internet access to sell guns. The registration can be done over the phone too. I do not know where you live, maybe in the big city, but I know of several stores that do not have computers or Internet access in the store.

Many retailers in smaller towns struggle to make ends meet and the license sells do not justify the expense of a computer and Internet access. To call them “cheap ass merchants” is an insult and very arrogant of you.

This new system will do nothing for fishing, in fact less fishing licenses will be sold and poaching will go up sky high. Mark my words on that one.

PGK
02-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Othmar, please stop this fear mongering. Every time you post this junk, someone may become misinformed about the licensing process and be turned away from fishing. Nobody wants that. You are wrong, so is Bill Otway. Please, knock it off.

Gateholio
02-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm on dialup. I live in the middle of nowhere.

I just registered and got an angler #, and went to the "purchase License" part in no time at all...I am sure High Speed is prefered, but dial up will work.

Savvy retailers will use this to thier advantage, and sell lots of licenses and extra fishing gear!

That is...If it is true. there is still no mention of it on the BC website, nor has anyone produced an official g'vt press release.

Barracuda
02-16-2009, 08:39 PM
perhaps some stubborn luddites might not purchase a liscence but i can assure you that more young people and women will feel more comfortable purchaseing on line rather then deal with some jack-ass desk jockey that has caught a bigger fish or shot a bigger buck then you ever could :lol:

i can see sales going way up and with more eyes and ears out there i am sure we will see more poacher caught.

just for fun
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
i dont have any cards i believe person to person and create a job they want us all to buy online and get rid of stores.so get rid of your cards and support workers. and dont us self checkouts.

Gateholio
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
i dont have any cards i believe person to person and create a job they want us all to buy online and get rid of stores.so get rid of your cards and support workers. .

I'm not really sure what you are saying...:eek: :?

and dont us self checkouts

If you mean the ones at anadian Tire, etc, I love them. I would much rather breeze through a self checker than wait in line for a cashier...:cool:

2slow
02-18-2009, 03:04 PM
If your worried about someone using your credit card info online then the solution is to get a card with a very low credit limit and use that only for your online purchases.

My only concern with streamlining processes like this is that it makes it very easy for the govt to put on additional charges at no cost to themselves except for a few programming key strokes.. For instance if you want to fish at the catch and release trophy lake in the pemberton area they could make you buy a user fee stamp for each individual lake as they see fit..

What Gatehouse says about a savvy business owner bringing in customers by doing the online service for them is right on the money. In this day and age the more customer service you can provide the more the customer is going to spend in your store.

CanuckShooter
02-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Maybe that is what they have in mind?? What other way would they have in restricting...oppps meant to say managing how many fish are taken out of each lake? Our current fishing regulations haven't been protecting the fishery as they stand so perhaps someone is finally cluing into the fact that the govt can reap some huge gains by contriving some scheme to 'manage' the harvest while filling govt coffers??

Gateholio
03-28-2009, 02:20 PM
So......?

Any firm news?

todbartell
03-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Ive been filling out licenses for the past week online for customers. So far, so good. Worst part is just having to explain to customers why we cant issue them a written license.

PGK
03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Crow is tasty.
I hate it.
Yet another fantastic example of idiocy at the provincial level

Gateholio
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Ive been filling out licenses for the past week online for customers. So far, so good. Worst part is just having to explain to customers why we cant issue them a written license.

Do you think you will set up a system where the customer can fill it out themselves?

Or is it better to keep them shopping while you fill out the form?:-P

martyonthewater
03-29-2009, 09:33 AM
so when a customer leaves the store, do they possess their licence or is it ' in the mail' ?

todbartell
03-29-2009, 01:22 PM
we print off their license and they sign it, they pay with cash or debit. They now have a "Angler Number" which I believe will be mailed to them in the mail by the government, and then next year they just flash their # and we bring up their info and confirm nothing has changed and hit print.

Gatehouse - I think the government grossly over estimated the amount of BC residents who know how to use a computer. We do the data entry ;)

Dirty
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
This sounds like a move towards a WIN# like in Alberta. It they could give everybody a number and card, it would definitely stream line it for stores. If anybody has had the experience of filling out licenses, it can be painful to say the least. I like the idea of punching in a number on a computer, verifying, and hitting "print".

The one problem I see at retail locations is the cost associated with printing. I am thinking print cartridges and so forth. You can argue that they are getting repaid in sales, but they are still losing income if there is overhead on the licenses. The profit on licenses is trivial for retailers.

Nechako Outdoors
04-02-2009, 09:47 AM
BEAUTY SYSTEM THEY HAVE IN PLACE http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Please be advised that the Freshwater Fishing License System is currently experiencing very high traffic volumes. A number of problems have been reported and work is currently underway to correct these problems and restore normal service.

as of right now we can't even issue a license.................

Dirty
04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I heard it tanked yesterday too, this is ridiculous. You would think that they would use servers that have enough capacity for this much traffic. They know how many people fish and buy fishing licenses in BC.

Nechako Outdoors
04-02-2009, 10:02 AM
yes, yesterday it barely worked, we were able to issue two licenses out of about a dozen attempts

Elkhound
04-02-2009, 10:05 AM
The program was probably designed by the same people who did the computer program for the gun registry:roll:

mark
04-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I just did it online right now. took about 6-7 minutes total. Didnt work the first try, it did about 3-4 minutes of the swirly circle thing on the second try. I was just about to nuts on the mouse, when I got in and it requested visa info, then it took another 2 minutes of "swirly circle thingy" and I had it. Printed 2 copies and emailed it to myself for back up! Still faster than driving to town I suppose, but I still need a hunting lic!

SHACK
04-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I for one am absolutely appalled at the governments choice to limit our venues for obtaining a licence. I have known about this for some time, and still shake my head in disbelief every time I think of this fiasco. I can see it now, I will get home nightly and spend the next 4 hours filling out online licences for my clients before the next days fishing because my clients from overseas have enough to worry about with their travels.....yup, a bunch of crackers sitting in a room coming up with completely messed up ideas!

sako7mm
04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
And what happens if you don't have a credit card to pay online. Govt BS at its best.

phearless
04-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Licences will be available in Merritt at The Powderkeg in a day or two.

lip_ripper00
04-02-2009, 11:29 PM
If you want to advertise get a hold of Marc, admin.

338 whisper
04-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Newto this forum.
I was in the B.C acess building yesteday with about 10 other people trying to get a lisence no go. The lady behind the desk said the system was down because it could not handle the amount of people trying to get lisences. She then told every one they could go to wallmart in cranbrook to get a paper lisence and that the gov dave them pemision to paper lisences till june. So last night I went to wall mart and bought my paper lisence. Maybe if you have wallmartin your area you could do the dame thing. It still P.Os me tha ti have run allover the place to find a lisnce. I also tried on april1 to get one on line through my own PC could not get it to work. just my 2cents.;)

Fisher-Dude
04-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Bought mine online yesterday. Five minutes - piece of cake. Put it to good use today - gotta limit of fat trout to gut now. :smile:

J_T
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Patience is the key. This is new. Those who built the system, likely forgot to carry out required stress testing. A typical shared server architecture will only allow 80 concurrent users on the system at any one time. This will work fine 360 days of the year. But 5 days of the year around April 1st is going to be a nightmare everyyear.

Simple solution. Change the due date of your license to your birthdate. Or valid for one year from the date of purchase. Or increase server capacity.

Dirty
04-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Do it late at night or early in the morning. The server gets really busy in the afternoon. There is a little bit of leniency for those that cannot get a license, this is the message copied from the freshwater fishing website:

"I am aware that our clients are experiencing difficulty obtaining on-line angling licenses. We are working diligently to resolve this problem. It does however remain a legal obligation to have an angling license.

The Chief Conservation Officer advises me that he has instructed Officers to issue a check up slip requiring an angler to produce a valid license within a reasonable period of time for those anglers who have encountered issues with the electronic angling license system. The Chief Conservation Officer has advised his staff that if there are extenuating circumstances, Officers have discretion to implement alternate measures.

We will post a notification on this site once the system problems have been resolved."

Tom Ethier

wolverine
04-04-2009, 09:28 PM
You can only buy grouse tags online too?????:mad:
Man this sucks!:lol:

Nope. You have to go into the local shop and ask for those. :cool:

Phil A. Bowl
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I like that i can print off 5 of them and fold them up in a zip lock bag and put one in the vest,truck,boat,waders,and one for back up!

Fisher-Dude
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I like that i can print off 5 of them and fold them up in a zip lock bag and put one in the vest,truck,boat,waders,and one for back up!

That is a bonus. I've fallen on my ass in a creek or river and soaked my license before - now I can go to my pdf copy in my email and print out a new one, free of charge. Before, you had to pay for a replacement at the govt agent's office, IIRC.

Johnnybear
04-06-2009, 11:24 PM
OK the multiple printing off thing seems like a bonus to me too. I have yet to hear how the system CANNOT be cheated? I will have to get my license and license for my son online for the first time before the weekend. I have not done this before and there for do not know what is involved and I will ask the question again what measures are there to stop folks from cheating the system. I now a poacher is a poacher but I am concerned about this online system.

Ubertuber
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Hmmm, it took me less than five minutes, that's not too bad.

I shrunk them by 50% then printed 3 copies, I hope the CO's don't mind.

Phil
04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Hmmm, it took me less than five minutes, that's not too bad.

I shrunk them by 50% then printed 3 copies, I hope the CO's don't mind.

I had the same idea but when I inquired about doing that I was told that doing so would be considered tampering with a government document:confused::confused:. Seems stupid to me.

PGK
04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I call BS.

I just walked into my local guvament agent office and could buy one over the desk, in person.

You bought the little green piece of paper like in previous years? Or got an 8x11 sheet of paper...?

Fisher-Dude
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
OK the multiple printing off thing seems like a bonus to me too. I have yet to hear how the system CANNOT be cheated? I will have to get my license and license for my son online for the first time before the weekend. I have not done this before and there for do not know what is involved and I will ask the question again what measures are there to stop folks from cheating the system. I now a poacher is a poacher but I am concerned about this online system.

What kind of cheating are you concerned with?

PGK
04-07-2009, 09:20 PM

When you run out of spaces to record springs, you just print off another license. Pretty convenient way to bonk a hella lot of springs

Dirty
04-07-2009, 09:22 PM
When you run out of spaces to record springs, you just print off another license. Pretty convenient way to bonk a hella lot of springs

Who cares about springs. What about steelhead. These licenses are absolutely bull crap. I can't wait until hunting licenses go digital like this. 8)

Johnnybear
04-07-2009, 09:39 PM

What he said would be one of them.

I just find it odd that before you had to show some i.d. to a person and now anyone can just go online and get one. I just see the potentional for abuse. I guess I should stop worrying and just go fishing:smile:.

mark
04-08-2009, 08:22 AM

I was thinking the same thing, as you can print as many licenses as you want to!

Fisher-Dude
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Salmon were meant to be bonked and feed people. They were never meant to be harrassed by C&R "fishermen" as playthings.

Those guys who stoop to that level of reprinting are the same ones who poach anyways. Our laws are enacted to guide law-abiders in their decisions.

Those who want to poach will always find some way to do it - but God help you when you have 4 chinooks on your license the first time the CO checks you and records it in his book, and only two the next time. If you care to live your life looking over your shoulder, that's up to you. The vast majority believe in conservation and follow the rules, and that's what we rely on.

Dirty
04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I agree F-D, but there are always those that will bend the rules, and why should we make it easy for them.

The case is with chinook and steelhead, guys can go out in the morning, whack there fish, and then come back out in the evening with a different license.

Case in point is the Vedder/Chilliwack system, where 1 hatchery steelhead can be retained per day, but once you kill it you have to leave, no more fishing. This is going to allow guys that have killed one to go home, drop off a fish, and go back out fishing. I am voicing this because I feel that this is what people are going to do.

Johnnybear
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree too FD. A poacher is a poacher. My point is what Dirty says in why make it easier.

I just can't understand some people that do these things and it really p*sses me off. I do things by the book and listen to and heed suggestions that Fisheries put out there (but aren't necessarily a requirement by the reg's). I teach my kids how important this is and about conservation etc.

Maybe they will address this and any other possible shortcomings. Time will tell I guess.

I'm going to get mine tonight online for the first time.

Fisher-Dude
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree F-D, but there are always those that will bend the rules, and why should we make it easy for them.

The case is with chinook and steelhead, guys can go out in the morning, whack there fish, and then come back out in the evening with a different license.

Case in point is the Vedder/Chilliwack system, where 1 hatchery steelhead can be retained per day, but once you kill it you have to leave, no more fishing. This is going to allow guys that have killed one to go home, drop off a fish, and go back out fishing. I am voicing this because I feel that this is what people are going to do.

One of my CO buddies was telling me how many guys they caught by simply watching a 2 kokanee lake this winter with a spotter from an unmarked truck. Once a place gets known as "watched", infractions tend to go down. :wink:

Blk Arrow
04-09-2009, 06:18 AM
I had no problems except I printed the receipt instead of the license and had to go back. Apparently there are not alot of people buying lincenses at 6:00 am. Also saved a copy on my hard drive.

I ran my wife's iron over it on a low setting to set the ink from inkjet printer.

Smokepole
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
How do we add a salmon and or steelhead tag later on in the season? Or do we have to pay for all of them right away? Some years I don't know very far in advance if I'm going to have enough time to justify spending all that money just to go steelheading one or two times.

butcher
04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Relax boys. Fishing licenses are still available the old fashioned way and always will be.

goatdancer
04-09-2009, 05:18 PM
How do we add a salmon and or steelhead tag later on in the season? Or do we have to pay for all of them right away? Some years I don't know very far in advance if I'm going to have enough time to justify spending all that money just to go steelheading one or two times.

If you get your license online you just go online and get your tags. Anytime you want, that way you don't have to look for someplace that sells tags and is open at that time.

goatdancer
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't know if somebody has already posted this or not so I'll do it anyway. In Kelowna, A&C Sports does the computer fishing license thing. Canadian Tire does not, neither are they carrying hunting licenses this year. I guess they just don't care about customer service. I'm not trying to plug any particular business, this is just what I ran into last week.

springpin
04-09-2009, 05:27 PM
As for buying fishing licenses...
Freshwater Angler’s Won’t Need a Non-Tidal Angling Licence until April 18, 2009
In response to technical issues with the Freshwater Fishing E-Licensing System, anglers wanting to fish in British Columbia’s lakes, rivers and streams during the period April 8, 2009, through April 17, 2009, will not be required to possess a 2009/2010 Non-Tidal Angling Licence.

Don't know if this has been brought up yet....Straight off the License page.

PGK
04-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Relax boys. Fishing licenses are still available the old fashioned way and always will be.

No, they are not! Many issuers still have them, but we have been instructed NOT to use them .....

..... until today :???:

Until April 17, 2009 there will be no fishing license required by anyone in the province while they work out the kinks in the system. In the meantime, they are asking license issuers to issue the old paper licenses.

Ridiculous :lol: