PDA

View Full Version : How to plan a moose hunt?

BiG Boar
02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Okay, I have decided on Moose for my trip this year. Never really hunted moose much, so its mostly going to be a lot of reading till the hunt comes. Planning it for last week of Sept to 1st week of October which I believe is the rut? Got 3-4 young, excited, strong new hunters going. Dont want to use an outfitter, as we are all BC residence. Was thinking we wont need LEH because we are hoping to fly in to some lake way up north to see some untouched land. Anyone have any ideas of how to plan it from here? Picking an area we have never been to wont be easy, so any ideas please PM me. I know there have got to be lots of areas out there to try out, and lots of moose for everyone. We will drive as far north as need be and fly out from there, trying to keep the flight under $1000 a person. Looking for alaska yukon sized head gear, anything over 45 inches. Will be bringing an inflatable zodiak, and a small engine. None of us own a wall tent, can we rent one? Or are they neccesary? What does one cost? Any other things I should be planning for, or looking into this early? How does one find a good area? How does one find a good reliable safe pilot to take us in? Any other advice on moose hunting fly ins would be great. Dave heading into the unknown needing suggestions.

tomahawk
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
It seems like you might be chewing off more than your experience with hunting might allow. What I presume from your questions is that you don't have much hunting experience, I aplogize if that is not correct. However if that is the case I would suggest you start with a simple moose hunt where you drive in. IMHO 4 or 5 inexperienced hunters in a remote camp is not going to be money or time well spent, do your learning before you head into this situation. Just my 2 cents.

longhairmtnman
02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I agree. For $5000. you can have a hell of a hunt up in region 7! Lots of guys would gladly guide you for that kinda cash!

tinhorse
02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Just drive north up past Fort Nelson and scout down some of the logging roads, since the mills arn't open there now they may be in some rough shape but the oil/gas roads are always good. You can find a nice gravel pit to set up camp and hunt the blocks around. Lived up there for 3 years and there are a ton of moose if you look hard enough. To do this I would highly suggest an atv though. Or if you really want to fly in, drive to muncho lake and a short 10 - 15 minute plane ride and you are into some incredable moose country. Yes bring a wall tent and chain saw and stove. That time of year can be messy when it comes to the weather and when flying in who knows how long you could be in there before the weather is good enough to get picked up.

Ambush
02-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I agree. For $5000. you can have a hell of a hunt up in region 7! Lots of guys would gladly guide you for that kinda cash!

Heck, for for an measly $3,000, I'll buy you all breakfast and take you to a place. For an extra $500 I'll advise you on LEH.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

A fly in camp is a great experience. When you're young and strong you can overcome a lot of obstacles and hardships on your leaning curve. Just be sensible.

I would say pick your area, after some research, and then make sure you apply for a grizzly tag for it also.

Planning for a big trip like yours is half the fun and excitement. Usualy the results don't live up to the dreams. But, if you don't go out armed with optomism and eagerness, then it's time to quit hunting!

Slee
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
pm sent...

BiG Boar
02-09-2009, 11:22 AM
It seems like you might be chewing off more than your experience with hunting might allow. What I presume from your questions is that you don't have much hunting experience, I aplogize if that is not correct. However if that is the case I would suggest you start with a simple moose hunt where you drive in. IMHO 4 or 5 inexperienced hunters in a remote camp is not going to be money or time well spent, do your learning before you head into this situation. Just my 2 cents.

Have 2 years experience, same with the guys I am with. I think I would be well prepared and capable. And we all got to start somewhere. Did a drive in for moose last year, didnt get one. A fly in seems like more adventure!

BiG Boar
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM

$4000 for 4 guys? Sounds a bit off. I dont think you could find a guide for that.

bigwhiteys
02-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Have 2 years experience, same with the guys I am with. I think I would be well prepared and capable. And we all got to start somewhere. Did a drive in for moose last year, didnt get one. A fly in seems like more adventure!

Any lake you fly into in late sept/early october in the northern area of BC is going to be winter weather that could turn for the worse fast. The wall tent would be a must... Wood Stove too obviously. In your situation and aforementioned experience level of your crew I would suggest taking a SPOT, and a Sat-Phone in case anything were to happen and you needed out or assistance.

With that said it sounds like it could be fun and definitely some sort of an education would come out of it, along with hopefully a few moose!

Carl

Angel
02-09-2009, 11:36 AM
It sounds like a great and Idea and hopefully you can make it happen. just prep as much as you can and have the proper safety nets in place and the adventure will get great. hopefully successful aswel.

BCrams
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM

A fly in trip certainly is a fun adventure!

With only 2 yrs of hunting, I would say you and your partners will be on a pretty steep learning curve but your trip will be just that, fun and adventure. If you go for 2 weeks, I don't see why you guys couldn't be successful and take a moose or two (or each of you get one).

One tip regarding your planning budget wise:

For 4 of you. You likely will require 2 trips to get yourselves and all your gear in with a beaver (food, wall tent, boat / motor, misc. equipment and your personal gear).

Now if you pick your destination which costs 500 each to get in .... and 500 for pick up....... what many new hunters fail to realize is if you get a moose or if everyone gets a moose, is you will require 'extra' flights to get your moose out......and consequently, extra $$ Your 1000 dollar each budget can quickly balloon to 1500-2000 dollars......this is particularly true if you pick a lake which is a long flight in.

There have been more than a few hunting parties of 4-6 guys who have flown in on a budget - where everyone shoots a moose and in some cases also couple caribou and goats / sheep only to be told by the pilot on pick up that he needs to do 2 or 3 more flights to get all the animals out :shock: !!!

You can still do it on a 1000 dollar each budget but make sure you pick your lake carefully and discuss among your partners how many animals you're willing to shoot.

Bigwhiteys said it: you might get beautiful fall weather or you can get blue sky weather the first 2 days and then get nothing but rain / snow for 10 days straight. Be prepared.

srupp
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Dave..I agree it is a STEEP learning curve, and without peeing on your parade you are very gung -ho with a penchant for great gear..a good thing ) but these fly in hunts DEMAND skill- knowlege- and complete self reliancy--- as there can be days on end that no plane can get in ie fog..weather..

I absolutley concur about either taking a VERY EXPERIENCED skilled person along..shit happens...OR do a drive in...no no not a drive by shooting a drive in..or a LEH..just because last year was not successful on your drive in it WAS your FIRST moose hunt bud...:redface:...average success rate in BC is 25% so 1 in 4 years the "average moose hunter" gets a moose..thats the stats....
Your choice of DATES is SPOT ON..

Give me a phone call and we will chat..I will give you some pilots names and GREAT SPOTS we have flown in before with LOTS of moose,.....

Tim and I are flying in same time as you suggested..our lake this year is a 20 minute trip...and LOTS of moose..during the rut..

cheers

Steven

jml11
02-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I have flown with Urs (google Northern Rockies Vacations) a few times, as have many on this site. He is a good pilot and would be happy to take you into any one of a several dozens of lakes in Northern BC. Contact him for a brochure on lakes he flies to and associated cost. He flies primarily out of Muncho but will also pick you up at Parker Lake near Ft. Nelson. I'm not sure how far west he flies (i.e. dease lake area) but there are pilots in that end of the world that can take you into some good Region 6 spots. Book with URS early as he is popular and books up quickly.

Something else to consider while picking your spot are regulations. At the time you want to go, 7B has a tri-palm/ten-point season, therefore you will have to glass the bulls well to determine legality. Many big 50"+ bulls do not meet the antler restrictions as they may only have two tines on the brow and the tops of the paddles may be rounded off or have many points which do not meet the definition of a tine. In most of the northern M-Us of region 6 you can shoot any bull which simplifies things, especially for newer/first time moose hunters; however, there are rut closure in some of these M-Us and LEH only area. I imagine a fly in would get out these areas regardless.

jml11
02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
For 4 of you. You likely will require 2 trips to get yourselves and all your gear in with a beaver (food, wall tent, boat / motor, misc. equipment and your personal gear).

There have been more than a few hunting parties of 4-6 guys who have flown in on a budget - where everyone shoots a moose and in some cases also couple caribou and goats / sheep only to be told by the pilot on pick up that he needs to do 2 or 3 more flights to get all the animals out :shock: !!!

This is very true. A trip i've been on a few times...nine guys with a beaver for Elk and has usually resulted in 9 elk and the odd goat/sheep/small moose.

We fly in in three trips as follows:

Trip 1 - 4 guys, wall tent, zodiac and any other gear/food that will fit.
Trip 2- 1 guy and as much gear/food as Urs will stuff into the plane and the floats.
Trip 3- 4 guys and any gear/food that is left over.

Fly out (not always the same but here is an example anyways):

Trip 1 - 4 guys, gear, antlers...
Trip 2- 1 guy, meat, meat and more meat.
Trip 3 - 1 guy, meat, meat and maybe some gear/ capes/ antlers,
Trip 4 - 3 guys and rest of gear, tent and boat. We leave left over food for the guys coming in on return flights.

One year we did require a fith flight as we had ten guys and 14 animals to fly out....5 flights with Urs and the beaver in one day costs about $8000 :eek: from where we are hunting (~$1600 a flight to and from the pick up lake)

BiG Boar
02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Well so far so good, thanks people. I have got 1 PM so far about a couple areas to look into. What do you look for if looking for a good moose lake? Check the record books and pick one that has the biggest?

hunter1947
02-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Why don't the 4 of you put in for LEH moose draw and see if you get picked ,put in for region 7-26 lots of moose in that region.

If you don't get picked then go for an open season for moose up in 7-45 ,hunt in this region south of the Sikanni Chief river ,we have taken a few moose out of that area..

Ambush
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Bigbore. There is something about a fly-in hunt that you can't get otherwise. It may not be the most pounds per dollar, but if you have a good attitude, it will be well worth it. You'll talk about it for years.

JUST DO IT!!!

BiG Boar
02-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Bigbore. There is something about a fly-in hunt that you can't get otherwise. It may not be the most pounds per dollar, but if you have a good attitude, it will be well worth it. You'll talk about it for years.

JUST DO IT!!!

Its gonna happen! Just realized these things do take a long time planning. Best get started now!

Blainer
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I think it may be possible to find a pilot that knows of a cabin that may be available.Lot's of these pilots know of old trapper cabins,ect.,that can serve as a base camp.
Always nice to have a roof over you're head.

srupp
02-09-2009, 11:43 PM
AMBUSH...hmmm "a good attitude" just do it.... please tell me you are kidding??:shock:..fly in is NOT for your FIRST hunt or one of your first...

What about knowlege, skills, experience, actually having field dressed a moose..at least once or caring for 1000 pounds or maybe 3,000 pounds of moose meat for 5 days in grizzly country...you cant just "pop" back to the pick -up and go to town...camping skills need to be exceptional..equipment top of the line (Dave DOES have that part covered) first aid knowlege and proper supplies..

one point about the " wall tent" while "nice" it is extremely heavy and takes up lots of room..we have taken 3 season or 4 season individual tents and find that these have worked out very nice at a fraction of the weight and space..

Most of the pilots up north are not using the bigger beavers etc..yes SOME do but others still use the smaller float planes...where weight and sapce are very important $$$$$ considerations.....

my .02

steven

BigBanger
02-10-2009, 01:12 AM
I have a feeling that DAVE is gonna have a great time and bag a MOOSE . I do not think DAVE has all top of the line EQUIPMENT . Dave will obtain KNOWLEDGE and SKILL during this trip that he will have forever . Dave has a MAGNUM so grizzly country isn't a big deal . A " wall tent " is a MUST . This I know .

hunter1947
02-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Bigbore14 have you considered a river boat drop off trip up the muskwa or Tuchodi ,Gathto might be worth looking into ,there would be lots of species open up to shoot at that time of the year.

yukon john
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
A lot of guys have the idea that there is animals everywhere up north but there is only so many bulls per valley and due to the increasing wolf problem there is lots of areas where there is very few moose all it takes is a pack of wolves to move through the valley the day before you get there and push everything out i know of at least 2 outfitters who had less than 50 percent sucsess on moose last year in places where they historicly have seen 30 or more bulls per hunt you may want to consider a pack outfit they can be affordable and then you are mobile if you dont find anything plus you can use horsepower to get your meat to camp they also send a packer along to handle the ponies if you need help

Ambush
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
AMBUSH...hmmm "a good attitude" just do it.... please tell me you are kidding??:shock:..fly in is NOT for your FIRST hunt or one of your first...
my .02
steven

No , I'm not kiddding, but let me explain. The good attitude part means, don't be dissapointed if all hunters in the party don't kill trophy bulls, or any bulls.

Sounds like they've all hunted before. They are not trekking to the north pole or climbing Everest. You could get mauled by a grizzly while grouse hunting in the Kootanys too. Same on a fly-in.

They are doing it right by starting their planning now. Part of their research is going on right here, and you've offered them advice as an experienced hunter. Yourself and others will help them be prepared.

So, no, I'm not advocating throwing some stuff in a gunny sack and getting tossed out on a lake they picked drawing names from a hat.

I am saying to get experience you have to go have an experience.

Hey BigBore. Do it. Take lots of pictures, keep a daily journal and tell us your story next September!!

GoatGuy
02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Keep your eyes peeled for a used wall tent/stove. Should be able to pick one up for a couple hundred bucks. Makes a big difference.

Make sure your gear is in good working condition before you go. No maintenance man for a chainsaw on a fly-in. :shock: Same goes for patches on the boat and parts for an outboard.

Lastly, if you want big moose I'd fly out of Dease. Look through the BC Book then call old Bruce up and see what's going on.

Aside from that go. You can't get experience unless you're out there.

Make sure you take a first aid kit.........

boxhitch
02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
A lot of guys have the idea that there is animals everywhere up north but there is only so many bulls per valley.........
Really ? The 'Serengeti of the North' is in trouble ?:eek:
I laugh whenever I read that advertising slogan.:lol:

BiG Boar
02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Well its going to be an adventure, and I will be going prepared. Hopefully for grizzly, moose, maybe caribou and goats as well if they are open in the same area. I guess I just want to see what nature is really like out there. I have taken a survival course, have an active paramedic coming on the hunt (my brother), and have been on too many back roads that are too full of hunters. I guess after reading so many stories, the really exciting ones are ones that were way back in the day, or way back in the bush. I know I have a lot to learn, however I have a tool here that our fathers and grandfathers never had before they went out into the woods, the internet! I am interested in just getting out there and learning, and doing, and having some friends along for an experience they have never done either! We have one of the last untouched and uninhabited places on earth, I want to feel that sence of adventure!

Blainer
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
This is looking like a big year for you.I have you hunting in Florida,New Zealand,and now a fly in hunt up north.Is this only you're second year hunting?
I imagine you must be calling the markets well,could probably use some help myself as the stock market declines yesterday hurt.Where's the Obama rally?then maybe I can book a hunt.

silvicon
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
sounds to me bigbore14 is throwig a mighty big bull.

gone hunting
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
With regards to the wall tent with a wood stove. YES you will want/need one. It's the only way to dry your gear. Set up another shelter a good 50' away, for cooking and eating. I like to have an enclosed cook shelter, so that when it's dark and I'm standing there waiting for dinner to be ready, I'm not visible to bears etc.... If you are looking for a used tent, make sure it has no mill dew. Every time I use mine, it gets hung in the basement, for a week or more, to make sure it is bone dry before it gets put away. Wether it has been rained on or not. I'm sure there are some "great deals" on some stinky tents. Go with 5', not 4' walls, lots more head room. Mine is 12'x14' and sleeps 4 comfortably on cots.
I use one of those "air tight" stoves. They are not, as the name implies air tight. They are very light and can burn through the bottom so I dump in 2 bags of lava rock before laying a fire, which has worked great.
When I'm in the bush, I keep the cooking smells to a minimum by precooking meals then freezing and vaccum packing them. Sit the bag in a pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes and you've got a hot meal. Put a layer of stones in the bottom of your pot to keep the bag from melting through.
PM me with a phone number, for more helpful hints. Most of which were learned through the benifit of many mistakes.

BiG Boar
02-13-2009, 08:24 AM
This is looking like a big year for you.I have you hunting in Florida,New Zealand,and now a fly in hunt up north.Is this only you're second year hunting?
I imagine you must be calling the markets well,could probably use some help myself as the stock market declines yesterday hurt.Where's the Obama rally?then maybe I can book a hunt.

It is going to be a big year, just got off a boat fishing on the high seas here in Florida we caught 5 10-15 lbs mahi mahi (or dolphin fish) and one 7 ft sail fish! Awsome fishing out here for sure! A buddy is joining me for a week at the end of the month and we are hoping to bag his first animal. Hog hunting is looking exciting, I should be looking for a gator hunt, but I just dont know what I would do with a gator.

New Zealand is looking good, its all booked up and I am reading as much as I can on these great red stags. The Tarh hunt should also be a blast. I booked this trip because a. Trophy Red Stag is near the top of my list and b. I am getting to go with a group of older guys who do these kind of fly ins, or horse back trips into norther BC every year, and around the world. Its hard to get in good with a group of hunters as they usually have a pretty tight group, and some pretty secret honey holes. I don't have a dad to hunt with and I have always been an adventurer at heart. One of these guys I am becoming good friends with though, and I am hoping he can take me under his wing and I can help him do the hard work that he cant really do as much of anymore.

As far as it being my second year of hunting, it pretty much is, I had hunted way before when I was younger, but only shot a couple of does. I am more stoked about hunting than ever and am really looking forward to trying to plan this moose trip with a few of my younger friends to see if they can get excited about doing a trip like this anually. Or something like it at least.

As far as the markets are going it was a very exciting year as a trader for me! I have been trading for 7 years in a market that had very low volatility for the most part, and when the action picked up I was prepared and ready to trade hard throughout it. Now as we wait to see how bad a hole the states have and are going to keep digging for themselves things are slowing down, so I am treating myself to a Red Stag and a fly in hunt somewhere. Of course when I win my Grizz LEH there will be another trip in there somewhere.

Blainer
02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Good on ya.
Look forward to many stories and lot's of pictures.
Draw results on the Grizz. should be complete this week.I'm in the draw as well.
I see we are almost neighbours,must share a beer sometime.
Good luck with the HOG hunt,always wanted to give that a try,but for now I guess I'll just continue to ride one(HOG).

Barracuda
02-14-2009, 12:32 PM
you have a wealthy family dont you?:lol:

you want to adopt a 40 yr old son ;-)

BiG Boar
02-18-2009, 08:36 AM
you have a wealthy family dont you?:lol:

you want to adopt a 40 yr old son ;-)

Actually quite the opposite, I grew up seeing a lot of money struggles. I saw a lot of debt and a lot of hard times. I dont really want to get in to how bad things were, however I told myself I would never go down the road my parents went down. I have worked really hard since I was young and set goals my whole life. With some luck and a lot of preperation I have really been blessed.

I will adopt you, if you take me cougar hunting with those dogs!