PDA

View Full Version : Is the Economic Downturn Going to Affect Your Hunting Plans This Year???

dana
02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Just wondering if the current state of recession that we are tumbling headlong into in this province has made you rethink your hunting plans in Mainland BC this year??? More hunts around home and less in other Regions??? Making hay while the sun shines and busy working instead of hunting??? Layed off and on the EI hunt team????

TIKA 300
02-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Yup

Work in construction and already had to cancel trip with RJA,was looking forward to it,but thats par for the course.....:frown:

Fisher-Dude
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Nope. Might even go for a northern trip now that fuel has dropped so dramatically.

Salty
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Times are tough but my Clearwater trip is still on 8)

kyleklassen
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
shoot more meat and eat more meat.

bcfarmer
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
no...still plan to drive 4.5 hrs to vavenby to hunt monster mulies:razz::razz:

seriously though...gotta have the stress relief...so will hunt where ever and when ever i can.

bcf

houndogger
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Yup!:frown:

frenchbar
02-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I for one along with my kids will be doing all our hunts within a couple hrs from home but ive basicaly done that all the past yrs,raising a large family has kept me from doing trips that cost any amount of money,probably be a few less scouting trips this yr as well .my wife and i both work full time ,but ya never know when ya might get axed. also if ya think hunting can get expensive try putting a couple teenagers through hockey ,most of my extra cash goes to the kids sporting activitys,and i wouldnt have it any other way even if it means being broke.

PGK
02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Nope, not likely. There are always fish research jobs, and now that fuel is down, I will likely hunt more than ever, especially next fall when I will only have 3 courses 8)

Gateholio
02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Nope, it shouldn't...

Knee surgery will be the mitigating factor this year!:p

mr.280
02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
No way! I've already been through two permanant lay off's in the forest industry in the last 3 years.Things are looking up for me now,but even through tougher times in the past nothing has swayed my hunting trips Live to hunt & fish! you only live once!

Kody94
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Don't know yet, but it probably will.

Johnnybear
02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Nope. Even though business in in the toilet I am heading to the mainland hell or high water!!!

horshur
02-08-2009, 11:38 PM
I for one along with my kids will be doing all our hunts within a couple hrs from home but ive basicaly done that all the past yrs,raising a large family has kept me from doing trips that cost any amount of money,probably be a few less scouting trips this yr as well .my wife and i both work full time ,but ya never know when ya might get axed. also if ya think hunting can get expensive try putting a couple teenagers through hockey ,most of my extra cash goes to the kids sporting activitys,and i wouldnt have it any other way even if it means being broke.

X2.........

huntwriter
02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
All my hunts in America are cancelled, instead I do all my hunting, including turkey hunting, here in BC. The only thing I will miss is the very liberal bag limits in America, like five turkeys or up six deer per day in Tennessee, Illinois and some other states.

Barracuda
02-08-2009, 11:55 PM
leh is the deciding factor for me (and moveing of course)

02-08-2009, 11:59 PM
NOPE !
not even a chance of keeping me away !
CT

Lone Ranger
02-09-2009, 12:05 AM
The only thing that'll decide my camping plans is being able to get the time off of work. <Knock on wood> I'm in a pretty stable sector of the industry, but being the relief guy my hours constantly change. LR

BCRiverBoater
02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I like it. Fuel for the boat is looking to half the price almost this year. I can not wait. I know a few of the spots that I have been where there is some other residents may be a little quieter this year.

hunter1947
02-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Won't effect me I and my wife are retired and both have good pensions.

Now that I am in full swing with this nuisance trapping it will be more then enough money to pay for a couple big game hunts ,this job is 7 days a week.

FlyingHigh
02-09-2009, 07:59 AM
i'll let you know near the end of summer.

bigwhiteys
02-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Fuel for the boat is looking to half the price almost this year.

I would wait until summer until I got excited about lower gas prices... :)Every year they jack it up in the summer.

Regardless, I'll definitely be going on all my planned trips this year. The slowdown in the economy hasn't really affected my business negatively. If anything it's gotten busier.

Carl

sawmill
02-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I would wait until summer until I got excited about lower gas prices... :)Every year they jack it up in the summer.

Regardless, I'll definitely be going on all my planned trips this year. The slowdown in the economy hasn't really affected my business negatively. If anything it's gotten busier.

Carl
What do you do,run a funeral home,or a bar?

bigwhiteys
02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
What do you do,run a funeral home,or a bar?

I own two busy web design companies serving two different markets. I design, build and promote websites for clients around the world.

My overhead is next to nill as I operate the business(es) from my home and I don't have any employees. I freelance everything I need to. It's been a good industry for me.

Carl

mark
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Stop me from hunting...never! The only thing that has ever gotten in the way of me hunting is work! Im a nest-egg kind of person and will dip into the savings to go hunting if need be! Im actually excited about the possibility of joining the EI hunting team!

Mr. Dean
02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Just wondering if the current state of recession that we are tumbling headlong into in this province has made you rethink your hunting plans in Mainland BC this year??? More hunts around home and less in other Regions??? Making hay while the sun shines and busy working instead of hunting??? Layed off and on the EI hunt team????

Not really.

We use up ALL our holiday time in hunting and fishing activities. The only thing that'll likely be affected is the "Room Service" bills ----> Bar tabs, mainly. :sad:

Hunting trips can be great, even if done on the 'cheap'.

Creeker
02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I was considering taking all my boat fuel cans to UFA in Baytree and filling them all. It would give a guy a good supply of cheaper fuel for the summer and fall.
But i most likely will procrastinate and next thing you know it will be summer and the gas will be well over a buck again

BCRiverBoater
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM

Carl

I do not expect it to be this low by fall. I might buy a bunch this spring and have it sitting just waiting to get burnt up.

Looks like the sheep hunt is going to be a fly in this year anyways so the boat might not gt used as much.

Angel
02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Wont effect it too much. Its our source of food so gotta make sure we have lots. Plus i would go crazy if i missed the season. Its not long enough as is;-). It will most likely effect the amount of hunters you see out and about theo.

bigwhiteys
02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I might buy a bunch this spring and have it sitting just waiting to get burnt up.

Good Idea.

I filled up all my Jerry cans with marked gas when it was at like 68 cents/liter so I have quad gas for a few months anyways, no boat to run for me.

Carl

Will
02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I for one along with my kids will be doing all our hunts within a couple hrs from home but ive basicaly done that all the past yrs,raising a large family has kept me from doing trips that cost any amount of money,probably be a few less scouting trips this yr as well .my wife and i both work full time ,but ya never know when ya might get axed.

X3.....Not gonna stop my hunting but yes definately won't be putting in for any far off, costly LEH hunts for awhile anyways.

Hunting mostly "at home" for me this year :wink:

GoatGuy
02-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Hopefully I won't have to work as much.

That means more time for hunting!

trapperdan2061
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Nope but the son's wedding will...................

Geo.338
02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Yep . It could . We will still put in for our draws and go through the planning stage but layoffs are in the wind for us so the big trip will be cancelled if it should come to pass .

We have treated each big trip for the last couple of years like it could be the last .We try and hunt as many days and species as we can.

Last year there was the threat of a strike and now the market is in the tank so anything can happen .

gamehunter6o
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM
The NZ dollar has lost about 20% against the CAD, and 30% against the USD, but that wont stop my hunting. My 10 day hunt is booked and my van is in storage at Parksville ready for 8 weeks wandering.:cool:

kastles
02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I spent all that money last year getting set up for hunting, wall-tent, bunkbeds, stove, ect and won't change my plans.

kastles

Charger440
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Word,:shock:
The E.I. Hunting Team membership is growing by the minute.:mrgreen:

Nooker77
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Fuel costs will be up again for hunting season so I'm not counting on that 4sure! lol Loved to be on the EI hunting team for just 1 season...havent been on ei for over 20 years...we'll have to see what the LEH brings in ...so probably wont be going too far anyway!!We Save all year for our hunting trips!! Off to Cancun for some bone fishin and beer drinking in two weeks!! Yahooooo!!

Jelvis
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
MOOSE!--Deer.--sheep?-grouse-local-or-close-anyways-
FROGMORE LAKE--Cherry Creek--Beaverfoot road. Maybe.
That's it, maybe Scottie Creek, early til nov 13th.
Otherwise all local, using others vehicles KaPOW!
Jellyrollman ---------------J my Son Creek BAM!
Maybe, just maybe----------> Clearwater BOOM! <-----//=

mpotzold
02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Yes!(in a positive way) I'll have more time to hunt and travel!

dino
02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Im rich8-).

dana
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Postive to see many aren't going to give up their passion for hunting given the economic uncertainty of these days. For my self, I saw the writting on the wall already last year and curtailed my own personal ambitions and focused more on hunting with family. This year will be much the same. Any time off will be spent hunting with my kids and immediate family, in which we will be building strong memories that will last a lifetime. To top it off, we will be filling the freezer with some top-notch organic meat that will go far on helping us make it through these hard times.

mcrae
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I will spend less some where else hunting would always be the last to get cutback in my household!

one-shot-wonder
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Our firm is positioned very well for 2009 and things are looking even busier as time goes on with more capital announces are being made. With that said, I will have the same dilema as in years past with not being able to hunt as much as I would like due to other reason, not financial ones.

So much to hunt so little time........

Good timing for this thread, maybe some will use it as a reminder or insentive to make decisions with the fall on their mind, choosing expendatures wisely in order to maximum time in the field.

longhairmtnman
02-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm looking to hunt more with others to share the expenses. Co-ordinating time off is the hardest part. Hoping for a good return on me and the wifes LEH draws this year. Putting in for almost everything.

The MAN
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
We are doing the same 26 hour drive.....no changes here!:-P I'm seriously have to consider buying a Cesna 185 on floats!

Deaddog
02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
No changes in my plans, we start planning when we get home in the fall, so with pretty much 12 months to plan and save, nothing will change. Three weeks in the MK and some local hunting around home

GoatGuy
02-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Our firm is positioned very well for 2009 and things are looking even busier as time goes on with more capital announces are being made. With that said, I will have the same dilema as in years past with not being able to hunt as much as I would like due to other reason, not financial ones.

So much to hunt so little time........

Good timing for this thread, maybe some will use it as a reminder or insentive to make decisions with the fall on their mind, choosing expendatures wisely in order to maximum time in the field.

I think you guys are going to do really well. Usually most of the stimulus that flows is for infrastructure.

Mr. Dean
02-11-2009, 02:35 AM
I just planned out ALL my quests for this year. It adds up to 6 whole weeks of devotion for killing various things.

- 2wks. for bringin' home a MONSTER Black Bear.
- 1wk. for slaying MONSTER Hali's
- 1wk. for the Record Book Muley (finally!!!)
- 2 more weeks just in case he beats me, OR ???.

Orangethunder
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM
No, my problem is a lack of holidays. Only 3 weeks this year and between family holidays, hunting, fishing and camping they are all spoken for and then some. With fuel cheaper this year we should be able to do our fly in a bit cheaper.

What I find interesting is how our economy seemed to react in relatively short order to the media hype about the slow down.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Both my wife and I are in bullet proof industries....booze and healthcare....people will always drink and need medical care.

One industry feeds the other:roll:.

Should not affect my plans this year in particular.

Our economic downturn happenned with the birth of our first child.

We're now "rich in spirit"..................................

SSS

SteadyGirl
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Just have to pick the time off when I want it:lol:

Ron.C
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
No, the economy won't stop me from going to the mainland for my annual trip. But my job may as I might not get he time off to go this year. We'll see.

Brambles
02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
hell no, nothing gets in the way of my hunting. NOTHING

tikkat3
02-18-2009, 08:00 AM
well, I'm in school and currently unemployed, so I can't even afford a range membership...so probably yeah it will affect me.

moosehunter21
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Newest member of the EI hunt team...

Slee
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
this year is shaping up to be my busiest season yet, lets hope that Obama can keep gas under a buck this year

tuchodi
02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I save all year so nothing will change I will be gone all of Sept with my 7 buddy's.

Sitkaspruce
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
I have 8 weeks to burn, plus I get every third friday off and if we have a fire season, I will get a while bunch more time off. I have to balance the time off between family and fishing/hunting, so I will probably be 2 weeks family, 1 week fishing and 5 weeks hunting....or at least that is my plan;), not sure what the OTHER half will say to that:eek::p.

And as for gas price, it will be back up where it was, plus even more. It is already at 99.9/l here and oil is at $35/barrel. Wonder what it will be when it reaches $150/barrel again??

I have enough seinority to survive most anything, so we will be good for the next year.

Good luck to the EI hunting team!!!

Cheers

SS

5 spike
02-18-2009, 06:21 PM
not a chance i also save all year cant wait, bear season wont come soon enough.