PDA

View Full Version : Youth Tag Prices??? Will This Be The Year???

dana
02-08-2009, 06:57 PM
With the current economic mess this ol' world is in, do you think the government will finally follow through with the dropping on the prices for youth licences and tags this year? Or is it just another pipe dream gone down the toliet. Not much longer before the new licence year starts. If they are going to do it, this year would be the best to help a lot of us hunting families out.

02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Dana,
what a great idea to help get our youth involved, along with adding the reality of costs and responsibility of our sport. Has this been in the making for some time?
I personally have not heard any thing about it.
Thanks CT

PGK
02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Kind of moot, I think. Most kids don't pay for their licenses, their parents do. I never paid for my own licenses until I was 16, and by then I had a job and could afford to man up for my own tickets. But then again, I can see why your pocket book might need a break there dana, your kid punches a lot of tags ;)

dana
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Curly Top,
This idea was proposed in the Hunter Recruitment-Retention Strategy a couple years ago. Seems the government hasn't been living up to their goals though, as we haven't seen much for action from them regarding these issues. One can only hold out hope for so long before one starts to get cynical when it comes to this government. With a spring election coming and a lot of failed promises, you would think they might want to make good on these things or else they might get the boot.

PGK,
It ain't moot at all. Of course most parents pay for their kid's licences. In these hard economic times, how much hunting Jr does could very well be dependant on the parent's pocket book. You want to encourage youth to hunt, you have to give mom and dad a break on how much it costs for them to hunt. Especially critical this year. Think about the family with several childern over the age of 10 and under the age of 18. It can get really costly really fast for a family to hunt together. Do we want to encourage families to keep up the tradition and thus help recruit and retain hunters? This is one easy way that will affect every hunting family. During the last major recession in 82, this province screwed up big time by increasing tag and licence fees that year. It had a drastic effect on hunters, many many gave up hunting for good that year. Look at the numbers lost that year, and it is appauling. Is the Liberal government of today going to learn from the mistakes of the past or are they going to go down the same road? They say they want hunter recruitment and retention, but do they?

Fisher-Dude
02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd love to see a reduction for youth tags, but I won't hold my breath this year. Being an election year, and with a LOT more city-slicker anti-hunters than the 80,000 or so of us, I would bet the Libs don't want Big Mouth Carole James screaming about more bloodthirsty hunters to her greenie friends. The Libs will want the issue to fly under the radar until after the election.

You can count on Carole James to ban the grizzly hunt again, and probably stop the wolf program if she gets in. She's as power hungry as that assmunch Taliban Jack, and will do whatever gets her votes from the ignorant masses.

dana
02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I've never liked the NDP much, have actually hated them in the past, but the current Liberals don't seem to be any more hunter friendly as any past government. I wouldn't put it past them to raise our tag fees this year to help pay for the Legacy of 2010.

PGK
02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I will not be voting Liberal, more reason for you to hate me. I can't stand this pro-industry rape the landscape government anymore. I want some habitat protection for once.
Hopefully fees come down. I'm not trying to say I'm against it, but I think its overall impact will be minimal, in terms of a HR&R standpoint.

Fisher-Dude
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I've never liked the NDP much, have actually hated them in the past, but the current Liberals don't seem to be any more hunter friendly as any past government. I wouldn't put it past them to raise our tag fees this year to help pay for the Legacy of 2010.

Actually the Libs are the ones who changed things so that your tag and license revenues actually go back into supporting game management. The NDP funnelled them into fast ferries etc.

dana
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
And we all know the accounting for 2010 has been been open and transparent? ;)

Wasn't it the Liberals that axed a bunch of CO positions when they first got in power???

Fisher-Dude
02-08-2009, 09:14 PM
And we all know the accounting for 2010 has been been open and transparent? ;)

Wasn't it the Liberals that axed a bunch of CO positions when they first got in power???

The cuts started under the NDP, and the Libs froze the budget for the first 2 years. We've now got 3 in Kelowna and 3 in Vernon, never had more than 2 in either spot before. Things are looking up! :razz:

Fisher-Dude
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I will not be voting Liberal, more reason for you to hate me.

Who really needs another reason to hate you? :razz:

Gateholio
02-08-2009, 09:31 PM
With the current economic mess this ol' world is in, do you think the government will finally follow through with the dropping on the prices for youth licences and tags this year? Or is it just another pipe dream gone down the toliet. Not much longer before the new licence year starts. If they are going to do it, this year would be the best to help a lot of us hunting families out.

Good question!

You and every parent out there that hunts should be writing Barry Penner, MOE and your local MLA to ask them that question and demand an answer. Hopefully it will put some pressure on them to follow through.

dana
02-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Who really needs another reason to hate you? :razz:

*****!!!

Politics are for another forum though. Lets keep this thread about Youth Tag prices. How many parents out there think this would really help them in a year like this one?

3kills
02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Dana i agree with u on this one..i have three kids and my oldest starts hunting this year...

Elkhound
02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Politics are for another forum though. Lets keep this thread about Youth Tag prices. How many parents out there think this would really help them in a year like this one?

Exactly......keep it on track boys. I would love to have youth tags and lower prices for them. Can't hurt. My daughter will be 11 this month. She wants to hunt. Anything that will help me do this effectively I will welcome

3kills
02-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Exactly......keep it on track boys. I would love to have youth tags and lower prices for them. Can't hurt. My daughter will be 11 this month. She wants to hunt. Anything that will help me do this effectively I will welcome
and u have a tribe and a half dont ya LOL

hunter1947
02-09-2009, 06:42 AM
I hope they read you post and do drop the cost of the youth license.

If they do it will go a long ways for more revenue put back into the Provence ,more hunters more money spent.

Elkhound
02-09-2009, 08:11 AM
and u have a tribe and a half dont ya LOL

..............:oops: ummmmmmm yup

when they can all hunt I will be payinging a CO's salary in tags lol

3kills
02-09-2009, 08:47 AM
LOL...thats funny but probably true

J_T
02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I think the current process is that if they wished to change a fee structure, they have to notify the client (hunters)(no, posting it on hbc won't suffice) and they have to give Treasury Board 2 months notice. Notifying TB is not always simple phone call, documentation must be completed. Probably 1 - 2 months of effort and lobbying to raise the profile, gain support meet with a TB analyst to ensure documentation is appropriate and acceptable, before it gets on Treasury Boards agenda. That puts it into the election.

Not sure hunters want to become an election issue. The risk is huge. So if it was pursued for the fall season it probably couldn't start until there is a new cabinet following the election.

My sympathies go out. I raised 4 boys and licensed and tagged them up fully every year.

bighornbob
02-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I think deer and black bear tags should be free, for anyone under the age of 19 and the first year of any new hunter regardless of age. Elk and moose tags should be half price. Everything else would be at regular cost.

I also think licenses should be like $5 for Juniors. They have the discounted rate for seniors why not the juniors as well.

As FD said I doubt we will see anything this year. Hopefully next year.

BHB

Will
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Junior licenses are already 7 bucks...same as seniors.

I do agree though that under 18 licenses should be kept at the 7 dollar mark as well....nothing like pricing folks right out of the game, but then that seems to be the theme of the current government.

They either want to encourage Hunters and thier families to continue to hunt or they don't........

dana
02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I think the current process is that if they wished to change a fee structure, they have to notify the client (hunters)(no, posting it on hbc won't suffice) and they have to give Treasury Board 2 months notice. Notifying TB is not always simple phone call, documentation must be completed. Probably 1 - 2 months of effort and lobbying to raise the profile, gain support meet with a TB analyst to ensure documentation is appropriate and acceptable, before it gets on Treasury Boards agenda. That puts it into the election.

Not sure hunters want to become an election issue. The risk is huge. So if it was pursued for the fall season it probably couldn't start until there is a new cabinet following the election.

My sympathies go out. I raised 4 boys and licensed and tagged them up fully every year.

I brought this up because it was proposed 2 years ago under the Hunter Recruitment and Retention Strategy. Those who control the current fee structure of licences and tags have had ample time to chew this over. Last spring I brought it up to keep it on the forefront of people's minds, only to have some in the know tell me it takes a long time to see action and then accuss me of being a whinner. Funny thing is, I gladly buy my kid's tags with no complaints myself. I have made it a priority to raise my kids in the hunting heritage and definately sacrifice a lot personally to see them have success. I bring these issues up for other parents out there. And especially this year, as many families are going to be hurting come hunting season. It is the rural communities that tug most at my heart strings, as the forest sector is taking the biggest hit in this province. As mill after mill after mill shut down, that means rural working familes are going to be struggling to not only make ends meet, but also to put food on the table. In this day of stimilus packages that seem to be approved at the drop of a hat by the province, it sure would be nice to see something aimed towards the average joe working in rural BC. This is a way to help recruit hunters, which the government committed too, and a way to help fill freezers. I know that for a fact, as my freezer was filled last year entirely by my 12 year old son.

J_T
02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Well said Dana.

One thing I did back then was buy all the licenses in the spring. Then I only had the cost of tags come fall.

With 4, I sure had and still do have a lot of hunting footwear and clothing.

They all carried bows. I made the arrows, which helped to reduce cost. Sure took a lot of gophers and squirrels back then. Just let them fling. Rocks, stumps.

Good times on a tight budget. It doesn't take a recession to have a young family tugging on the family finances from all directions. The pressure is huge.

Will
02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
It is the rural communities that tug most at my heart strings, as the forest sector is taking the biggest hit in this province. As mill after mill after mill shut down, that means rural working familes are going to be struggling to not only make ends meet, but also to put food on the table. In this day of stimilus packages that seem to be approved at the drop of a hat by the province, it sure would be nice to see something aimed towards the average joe working in rural BC.
Dam Tough to word it any better then that ! :smile: