PDA

View Full Version : What are the ladies shooting??

clu__82
02-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey again all....well my wonderful wife wants to get into archery .....so what are all you ladies shooting out there....she will be able to eventually pull 50lbs ....but I would like to start her around 30 and then work her way up ....so a bow that can go from 30-50 would be preferably....please let me know

THanks

Clu

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/misc/progress.gif

Bow Walker
02-07-2009, 09:22 PM
You'l be fortunate to get a bow with 20 lbs of variance in it. Most "wide adjustment" bows are only 15 bs. If your lady can handle something in or around 35 - 40 lbs, there is a bow made by Diamond called the Polar Ice.

I've sold and setup two of them recently and the shoot very well. They are easy to setup, they come as a package, and they are usually less than $500. These are, of course, compound bows.

If you're thinking about a recurve - look into what's called a "take down hunter" - that way, when you're ready, all you need to do is to get new limbs for a higher rated draw weight.

Eazzie peezzie.

oldtimer
02-08-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree with Dan about finding a bow with 20 # variance. Is she going to hunt or do 3D or Target? if only for 3D or target there is no need for big poundage. My Wife shoots 30 pounds and has done very well at Provincial championships .The Diamond Bows are a good bow for the dollar. Mike

J_T
02-08-2009, 08:34 AM
My recommendation - unless your bent on a compound - start her off on traditional gear. Just let her have fun. Going more technical (compound) might turn her off. More competitive, more things to stomp her foot about. Shoot a recurve, miss the mark theres only one thing needs adjustment.... attitude. :tongue:

Tanya
02-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I have to agree with JT. Start simple and inexpensive to see if she really does want to do this. I started with a recurve and then went to a PSE Nova. I am small, and the Nova in those years went from 40-50. I started on the compound low and worked my way up. Also, I shot the Nova instinctive. I now have a Hoyt Vipertec with all the sights etc. and honestly I still prefer to hunt with the old PSE. I've taken many animals with that and find it easier to put into action for a quick shot when stalking game than the Hoyt.

If your lovely lady just wants to plink I think she may like the simplicity of a recurve. If she is interested in hunting there are a number of lighter, shorter bows out there. I see the Nova, which is what a number of women I know used early on, doesn't come in a lighter draw any more. You could try something like the Deerhunter (link below) as it is inexpensive for a starter.

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=135731&u=0401S3