PDA

View Full Version : random question on snowshoes

dougal
02-07-2009, 09:35 AM
hey im newish to the chilliwack area and the wifes iching to bag some snowshoes any advice "location and such" tnks

vortex
02-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I've heard Needle peak in the Coquihalla is good

dougal
02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
any advice on the hows ?

DanC
02-07-2009, 10:31 AM
As to the 'how' beagles are the best bet (they run them in a circle and you pop them as they come back to you) but if you are lacking a pack of trained hounds the best method you will find is walk, wait and scan. I'm no expert but just started training my beagle pup on snowshoe hare so I've been out lots and seen a ton of hare in Northern BC and basically they like to sit out under overhanging trees (especially coniferous) in areas with pretty good cover. They generally feed and run more at night in the open areas. Look for lots of tracks, crap and chewed up twigs and trees. If it is an area with lots of hare there will be tons of sign (one hare makes lots of tracks). Walk twenty feet, stop for about a minute and scan everywhere. BEcause they are white you need to train yourself to look for their black eyes or tips of the ears. They don't normally run and trust there camo to keep them hiden but get skittish if you don't walk on by (which is why you wait a minute before moving another 30 feet and do it again) and may bolt. I could have got about a dozen this year from 15 feet away. The other method you could try is find a fresh track and follow it. IF it's really cold though I wouldn't bother heading out (unless it's sunny) because they hole up and stay put.

If you have any questions PM me but I really do reccomend getting a beagle (or 4) if you want to get serious about hare hunting and as a plus you get one of the most loving, happy go lucky pets around!

Dan C

dougal
02-08-2009, 09:42 AM
i heard there was some to be had on the vedder. But no details about what part. it's a long river.