PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 wolves?? None? FSR info

BlacktailStalker
02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Lookin in the regs, I see there is no wolf season in region 8? Are there none there or are the buggers just protected ?

Also who lives around Osoyoos or Rock Creek, whats the FSRs like right now ? Driveable? Snow conditions ?
Thinkin of making a dash to chase some kittys.

Steeleco
02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
They can't be far from the southern areas of Reg 8 as I've seen them a few times on Hwy 3 in Manning park. Also seen one nice big black guy near Pot hole creek 100yds north of the Coq connector and the northern end of that same 8-05.

Ruger4
02-05-2009, 09:05 PM
BTS
More and more wolves moving into region 8 it seems. More sighting all the time , as for cat chasing , you best have a sled , still lots of snow this way

Good Luck :eek:

Ddog
02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
i have seen them in 8-12 and 8-14. one night sitting in my treestand they were howling so close i waited in the stand until my partner came to get me an hour and half after dark,,,,spoooookie, but i love hearing them at night.

BlacktailStalker
02-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Wonder why they arent in the regs? Maybe waiting til they can sustain a healthy population :roll: :mad:

Ruger4
02-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Not much for fresh snow either BTS, we had a couple inches last weekend, tough cuttin tracks right now. :icon_frow Calling for some snow maybe tomorrow :smile:

BlacktailStalker
02-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Ok thanks guys, heard there wasnt overly too much there... What are the FSR's like ?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Regional bio has sent a request for a Reg 8 wolf season to his "superiors" in Victoria....along with a stack of evidence mostly from ranchers.

We shall see what comes of it.....

SSS

MOWITCH SLAYER
02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
That's great to hear!! The wolf sign is all over the Wap valley and Mable lake area. They need to be thinned out .

Big Lew
02-06-2009, 08:17 PM
After seeing the wiping out of fawns in the anderson watershed first hand a few years ago, and hearing first-hand from conservation officers in northern B.C. concerning moose and cariboo calves, I'm not a supporter of sustaining sizeable wolf populations in this day and age. I would think differently about the subject if it were not for humans occupying most of the herbivore wintering habitat which gives wolves an unfair advantage.

mark
02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
There certainly are wolves here, some days I saw more wolf tracks than deer tracks, have heard them howl from very close by but havnt seen one here yet. Its sad we dont have a season already, but most any hunter ive talked to said they would do the right thing given the chance!

Gunner
02-06-2009, 08:35 PM
There's plenty of wolves in the north and east of Region 8,and probably in other areas as well.Both sides of Mabel Lake,Kidney Lake, Cherry Creek,Sugar Lake,Squaw Valley,Hunter's Range,you name it.I've heard wolves howl from my porch twice in the last month(they sure get the neibourhood coyotes wound up!).They were across the valley in the Trinity Hills.It wasn't until the ranchers started to complain about losses on their summer range that the possibility of a season came up.Up til now the Regional Biologist has been stonewalling. Gunner

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Calvin and I saw two wolves stalking cattle right from the hwy back on May long weekend near Cherryville. Wished I had a functioning video cam back then.

SSS

Gunner
02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I think one reason for the increase in wolf numbers in the North Okanagon is the increase in the moose population.I'm seeing a lot more moose the past five years,and we're only 100 miles from Revelstoke as the crow flies and there's more than enough wolves in that country! Gunner

Pete
02-06-2009, 09:19 PM
The trappers in region 8 have been ask to supply documentation regarding sightings to Brian Harris at the MOE in Penticton. The hopes are that with enough input they will open the season in the region

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
The trappers in region 8 have been ask to supply documentation regarding sightings to Brian Harris at the MOE in Penticton. The hopes are that with enough input they will open the season in the region

Brian sent the documetation off to Vict before x-mas. He said there was a heft stack of evidence.

Pete....What's the wording regarding trapping for species (like wolves) where there is no hunting season in the region?? You can set snares for yotes....but not wolves?? Are there certain methods and materials tht you are legally bound to use to avoid incidental harvest??

SSS

boxhitch
02-06-2009, 10:27 PM
If all new seasons hav eto go through a FN consultation, I can see the reluctance of the Ministry to ask. They seem leery of getting to the table.

Pete
02-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Brian sent the documetation off to Vict before x-mas. He said there was a heft stack of evidence.

Pete....What's the wording regarding trapping for species (like wolves) where there is no hunting season in the region?? You can set snares for yotes....but not wolves?? Are there certain methods and materials tht you are legally bound to use to avoid incidental harvest??

SSS

Hi Steve
In order to be really successful in trapping wolves it is a different set up. Yes you can catch the occasional wolf pup and the not so smart adult in coyote set but on a whole because of set up it dosen't happen that often. But having said that wolves have been known to make mistakes. We actually caught a wolf in a double ended Lynx cubby up north but that is far and few between. That rates right up there with catching a Coyote in a 280 bobcat box set. Because there is no season for wolves in Region 8 if we catch one we have to turn it in to the CO's.
Cheers
Pete

GoatGuy
02-07-2009, 02:10 AM
85000 hunters
Total provincial population ~4500000.

Hmmmmm, wonder why there's no wolf season in region 8.

hunter1947
02-07-2009, 06:24 AM
What I see in your post Andy is that you don't want any wolves in this area if you cougar hunt it.

If there are lots of wolves in this area then you would not hunt it ,is that not the case ?????.

Gunner
02-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Cougar hunters in the East Kootenay have to stay right on top of their hounds or they could lose the dogs to wolves.The same thing has become quite common in Idaho. Gunner

Fisher-Dude
02-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Calvin and I saw two wolves stalking cattle right from the hwy back on May long weekend near Cherryville. Wished I had a functioning video cam back then.

SSS

Cherryville? What were you guys doing in Cherryville? Only dope growers live in Cherryville. Don't pull out the video cam when you're transacting in Cherryville.

Lots of wolves in region 8. Saw one at Sandrift 2 years ago. Just talked to an old guy that had 4 come in on him while ice fishin' up Dee Lake way. Hopefully we'll get a season to coincide with bordering regions 3 and 4.

As for First Nations, my own talk with OKIB's wildlife guy indicated a strong preference by the band for moose over wolves...:wink:

drakfero
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
on the places I used to see 20 does a day I do not see anything.. we met lots of guys hunting the area for 3 weeks and did see anything too. absolutely nothing

BEARSLAYER
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
just back from a five day trip to Christian valley, wolves in camp,at high camp more and more. One large black bear that we did not get,two small whites and and a two point mule. On Oct. 1 the boys did a stalk on a mule buck ,then saw this whitetail buck down at 175 yds.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z29/grizzlyking/PA010043.jpg

358mag
10-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Our wonderful first nation elders like the wolf's in region 8 thats the only reason why the is no GOS on them and it talking about the wolfs not the elders

Buckmeister
10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
You can be in 8-26 or 8-24 and not be allowed to shoot a wolf....but you can step across the line into 3-34 (same mountain by the way) and shoot as many wolves to your hearts content, or until you run out of ammo. And there are wolves there.

Someone told me that each region is managed by it's own department. Perhaps the management heads of neighbor regions should put their heads together and share info about the MU's of differing regions that border each other.

Similar thing goes for Mulies up on Mt. IDA. The mountain is mostly in 3-26, but the east side is in 8-26. Mulies end on Nov 10 in region 8, but you can hunt them in region 3 right up till Dec 10. So from Nov 11 to Dec 10, I can chase a mulie on that mountain, but if he crosses the line onto reg 8, I'm screwed.