PDA

View Full Version : sheep horn help

4blade
02-05-2009, 07:30 AM
a friend boiled his sheep skull with horns attached and lower part of bases has now darkened,any ideas how to repair color change.thanx

Brambles
02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
a friend boiled his sheep skull with horns attached and lower part of bases has now darkened,any ideas how to repair color change.thanx

mount them, hair covers all.

Was it M.R.?

SHACK
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM
That's a tricky one, The fats from the skull have soaked into the horns because they are porous. Keep in mind you are basically dealing with oils, I have used hot water and dish soap, and alchohol with toothbrushes to clean deer/elk antlers that wound up this way, but I would be very careful on a set of sheep horns, trying different products in a very inconspicuous spot first! Maybe a paste of water and borax may take some of the oil out as well.

bighornbob
02-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Why was your friend boiling sheep horns to begin with??? Why weren't they taken to a taxidermist??

BHB

budismyhorse
02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
exactly my question, why weren't they knocked off first?

I've heard of lots of guys just getting Euro mount sheep however.....

Bighorn hunter
02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
The way we have always got the horns off is to completly submurs the scull in boing water for about 25 min, then pull out of water and try popping off the core. If still tight put back in for a couple min and try again. Never had a problem with any discoloration, or color loss.Keeping below water level keeps the horn away from the greases that arer on the surface.Just a quick rince and your good to go.

jml11
02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I've been told not too boil sheep skulls for that exact reason. I don't think there is much you can do about it now. The taxidermist who did my sheep said that he wraps the skull in a pastic bag and lets the horn rot of the core, then boils the skull plate with the horns off. The horns are easily put back on the core for the mount.

jml11
02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
A better forum to post this question might be taxidermy.net, maybe someone there will have some ideas of what your friend may be able to do!

boxhitch
02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Experiments with sheep horns, I like it :)
Wonder what the cape looks like

d6dan
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
2x JM's answer..thats how mine was done..

4blade
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
thanx guys i guess we,ll keep trying different things,its a shame as is a nice stone.he got busy with other crap while boiling,hard lesson learned.and we mount are own animal;s