PDA

View Full Version : any suggestion for bear hunting in 2-6.

gary mok
10-25-2005, 10:39 PM
I am going to bear hunting in 2-6 in the next 2 weeks, is it too late to hunt in this area now,anyone had been there for bear hunting before,do I have to drive 4x4 or front wheel drive is ok,I haven't been there yet,can suggest any places, thanks a lot!!!:)

Steeleco
10-25-2005, 10:53 PM
I went up there in the spring looking for bears. The country is VERTICLE, I would use 4x4 if you have it. The main Elaho road is 2wd but once you get off of it!!!
We were lucky enough to tag a smallish bear on the Elaho river, try the hills above the TIN SHACK were the river raft tours start. I tried the Ashlu but I felt it was fultile, maybe others have more experience. There was tons of sigh further up the valley, and Elk scat everywhere. Do you have GPS?? PM me if you do!!!

Fred
10-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Go up to the Ashlu Mine and introduce yourself to Ken, the caretaker. If you were to gift him a box of beer he would likely point you towards the bears. He don't much like them or the cats! :mrgreen: Fred

Steeleco
10-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Oh sure now you tell us!!!!! All I saw up there was a jungle. Hence the green striping on my used to be white Jeep. LOL

gary mok
10-26-2005, 12:03 AM
sure if I can find where ken is in ashlu mine i must buy him a box of beer or more until he get drunk,the bear'll come out to eat him then I can shoot it, right!!thanks buddy

ryanb
10-26-2005, 07:39 AM
I was up that area lower Elaho, near Tin shack, just this past weekend looking for blacktails and didn't see any bears or any sign of bears. You need to get a ways up the elaho to get into the bear country. The Ashlu is much more rugged and steep than the elaho and doesnt have such expansive cut blocks. Also there are grizzlies on the upper Ashlu, so be very careful what you shoot at.

Fred
10-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Gary, if you go to the Ashlu Mines property you won't have any trouble finding Ken if he is there. There is also the vague possibility that the mine has other people working in it right now. At least that was their plan last spring when Ex and I were up there. Fred