PDA

View Full Version : High country Glassing tips.

frenchbar
02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Lots of people on here saying they want to try and get into the high country alpine huntingscene ,lots of very experienced hunters on here should have some good tips on Glassing the high country basins.

Dont just use one vantage point ,if you dont see any game ,from your first spot move up the ridge a ways ..without making yourself visable of course. and start over you will be suprised what little depressions and such can be missed without moving around...any more from the highcountryexperts lets hear them..

Dirty
02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Glass makes a difference, I have seen it first hand. Although some glass is better than no glass, it will definitely leave you handicapped. I have had the experience of not being able to see elk through $400 Bushnell binoculars (that were given to me) and then looking through Zeiss and Swaro binos and clearly seeing invisible elk magically appear in the exact same place I was looking. I am talking over a long distance here, but every little advantage helps. That experience has me saving for a set of top quality binoculars.

Another thing I learned was patience, don't expect game to come leaping out of crevices into view of your binoculars. Sometimes it takes a while to pick things out.

Gateholio
02-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Animals often have lighter shading on thier rumps, which stand out in poor light or at distance.

Look for the ass!:-P

frenchbar
02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Good glass, lots of patience..good call dirty hang tough and useually some thing shows itself,to me getting into a comfortable position,sitting up with your back braced up against rock out croppings or trees and such will alow you to glass at longer intervals ,lying down useualy ends up witha sore neck in a hurry for me anyway.

Gilmore
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Patience grasshopper, patience.

Don't look in a big alpine bowl for 5 minutes and assume it's empty beacause you can't see anything.

frenchbar
02-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Animals often have lighter shading on thier rumps, which stand out in poor light or at distance.

Look for the ass!:-PIalways scan the basins first with the naked eye looking for the white rumps before i start glassing ,they stand out like a sore thumb and arent to hard to spot even with the naked eye .

Dirty
02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Frenchbar,

Being comfortable is key. I once sat on such a steep hill to glass that, if I moved wrong I would slide 10ft down the hill. It was the perfect spot to glass up some basins, but it wasn't very comfortable.

bridger
02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Glass makes a difference, I have seen it first hand. Although some glass is better than no glass, it will definitely leave you handicapped. I have had the experience of not being able to see elk through $400 Bushnell binoculars (that were given to me) and then looking through Zeiss and Swaro binos and clearly seeing invisible elk magically appear in the exact same place I was looking. I am talking over a long distance here, but every little advantage helps. That experience has me saving for a set of top quality binoculars.

Another thing I learned was patience, don't expect game to come leaping out of crevices into view of your binoculars. Sometimes it takes a while to pick things out.

x2 on the glass but don't think just because you have good optics that things will jump out at you. the other posts are right on the one important thing that I have learned is too spend more time glassing than walking when you are in an area you think should have some rams or bulls in it. I think that is the hardest thing for new hunters to learn. the country is os beautiful and exciting you just have to look over the next hill when often your quarry is under your nose.

40inchtwister
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
the 3 amigos help

hillclimber
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
don't skyline yourself

30-378-magnum
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
watch the thermals they go down in morning switch to uphill when sun starts to warm area then start moving downhill as sun starts to set ..use good optics or your eyes will bug out of your head after a while

frenchbar
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
watch the thermals they go down in morning switch to uphill when sun starts to warm area then start moving downhill as sun starts to set ..use good optics or your eyes will bug out of your head after a while
Thermals., you are right on very important scents ,wind directions ,paying attention to it is a must !

BlacktailStalker
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I like to pick areas apart, not just scanning them, look at minute details, thats when you'll see a "piece" of something.

If the area looks prime to hold animals, it probably does !
Glass those areas at optimal times as animals might be bedded down, hard to see behind rocks that look flush with the ground but are actully 10 feet high and have a depression behind them, maybe hiding a tasty alpine coyote.
How many times has something "stood up" right where you were sure there was nothing !?

frenchbar
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I like to pick areas apart, not just scanning them, look at minute details, thats when you'll see a "piece" of something.

If the area looks prime to hold animals, it probably does !
Glass those areas at optimal times as animals might be bedded down, hard to see behind rocks that look flush with the ground but are actully 10 feet high and have a depression behind them, maybe hiding a tasty alpine coyote.
How many times has something "stood up" right where you were sure there was nothing !?
Im with ya on the glassing small areas maybe 200yards square,going over it for awhile then moveing on to the next chunk of ground.

30-378-magnum
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
pay attention to the terrain and vegetation when you see game in the alpine ...after a while you should be able to head into a new area and be able to pick the most likely spots that will hold game ....buddy and myself headed into a new area ii said to him ill bet you a buck will come out of that patch of timber on that ridge sure enough at dusk two bucks came walking out ...the next morning we moved to a better vantage point and we saw six bucks heading into area to bed only one was a 4x4 but too small to take early in trip....

frenchbar
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I pay close attention close to any watering holes that are in the basins ,ive found they like to bed not to far off ,many times ive seen groups of bucks bedded close to water.especialy in the early season.

wildman 22
02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
was in some beautiful alpine country,couldn't believe we were not spotting any deer after hours of glassing.we started looking in a different direction for a few minutes than my buddy just glanced back where we had been watching and 2 bucks just were stretching as they got up from their beds.as blacktailstalker was saying ,some scrub brush and rocks look like nothing could hide behind but you'll soon learn that the height of the scrub brush and dips and depressions behind them can hide plenty of animals.we got both bucks and now know where the deer like to bed to get out of the heat and also their escape routes.

ThinAir
02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
This may sound funny, but when I'm glassing with a spotting scope for long periods I will sometimes wear an eye patch. I might look like a pirate but I'm more comfortable behind the scope.

boxhitch
02-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Im with ya on the glassing small areas maybe 200yards square,going over it for awhile then moveing on to the next chunk of ground.good technique.
Hold the glass steady until you have identified everything in the field of view, then move to the next box (or hole) on the grid. up/down or left/right, whatever works for you.
Don't assume you will see an animal, look for parts of antler, ears, backline....

boxhitch
02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I will sometimes wear an eye patch
tried and true. I used to have excellent dominent vision, could glas with both eyes open all day. That has changed. The patch helps with 'squint-burn'.

bigwhiteys
02-04-2009, 07:37 PM
This may sound funny, but when I'm glassing with a spotting scope for long periods I will sometimes wear an eye patch. I might look like a pirate but I'm more comfortable behind the scope.

I do the same... after a few hours behind a spotting scope the muscles in my eye begin to hurt and holding my hand, or cloth over it seems to help.

Carl

goatdancer
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM

Look for the ass!:-P

That even works in the cities........

GoatGuy
02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
A car with good tires and a window mount.

mr.280
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Lotas great tips here for the bigginer! My rule #1 is great patience, Be it high country,open timber,slides,and slashes,the game is there somewhere. Glass hard with quality optics = sucsess!

goatdancer
02-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Don't just look at each area once. Do it 5 or 10 times. You'd be surprised what suddenly appears in the same place that you've already scanned more than once.

srupp
02-04-2009, 10:22 PM
great advice...also spend HOURS glassing not minutes..let your eyes do the work..I seldom worry about thermals at the distance I glass with spotting scopes..binos yes..

last years sheep hunt..when " the old experienced hunter " wanted to walk up and down the valley floor with his cheap shit binos standing tall on his hind feet, one hand holding the binos...

A guy (or gal) with decent optics can see more from sitting on his ass than than the rookie running up and down the valley attempting to 'find the game"

Its called HUNTING (looking ) not shooting...

"the EYES have it "

I have spotted from a great vantage spot and only after 5-7 hours found game..

steven

Dirty
02-04-2009, 10:29 PM
great advice...also spend HOURS glassing not minutes..let your eyes do the work..I seldom worry about thermals at the distance I glass with spotting scopes..binos yes..

last years sheep hunt..when " the old experienced hunter " wanted to walk up and down the valley floor with his cheap shit binos standing tall on his hind feet, one hand holding the binos...

A guy (or gal) with decent optics can see more from sitting on his ass than than the rookie running up and down the valley attempting to 'find the game"

Its called HUNTING (looking ) not shooting...

"the EYES have it "

I have spotted from a great vantage spot and only after 5-7 hours found game..

steven

Why is it necessary to crap talk people you went hunting with. We all have heard to story, don't ruin the thread by bringing it in here. Others have already said to spend time glassing. Anybody else have any new information ?

srupp
02-05-2009, 12:48 AM
hmmmm Durty....some younger unexperienced hunters may think that being old and "experienced " ie having a sheep or 2 on their wall means whatever they do is correct ..so when they see these masters of the universe standing tall and casually scanning the countryside while holding the binos in one hand and loudly proclaiming that there are no sheep there so lets move on to the next open spot and push the sheep from there also...
Hmmm dirty AND cynical...have a great day...:biggrin:

cheers

Steven

Gateholio
02-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Dirty- Can it...

Looking and lookign some more and then moving a bit (as suggested) sure works.

I glassed some rams at the end of one day, the next morning, they were gone...But where they really gone?

I glassed and glassed, then walked and glassed...FInally, abiout 300 yards from my initial glassing point, I found them- In a steep ravine under some pesky little trees.

They were there the whole time, but from one vantage point- invisible. 300 yards away, they were there....:-P

srupp
02-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Gate ...lately past 5 years south by the Gang ranch and past 10 years the California bighorn have developed a "habit" of spending inordinate amounts of time in amongs the trees..however their main food is not found under the trees but out in the open..

I know why the Cali's started going amongst the trees up by Williams Lake..junction area but not down by Gang ranch etc...
so glassing for 2 hours still would not allow enough time to see sheep up here..sometimes it will take 5 hours for the sheep to be seen...

steven

hunter1947
02-05-2009, 05:58 AM
I have found that when you move 10 feet all land scape can change.

Frans
02-05-2009, 08:03 AM
It's probable been said before, but patience is a virtue. I've seen sheep appear out of nowhere after watching a slope for 90 minutes, and disappear like magic just watching them walk a trail. They can be chewing cudd behind a rock, resting in a little group of trees, and you'll never see them. A quick sweep with the binoculars, or even a longer look may show an empty mountain at first. Two hours later there could be rams!

I'm sure I've walked away from a ram or two or more that was simply hidden from view from my vantage point. Luckily as the mountains get steeper, and they do every year, I find it easier to conjure up patience.

Good quality glass makes all the difference. There are times that I can see just as much detail through the 10X Swarovskis as through the Baush&Lomb 15-45x60. It doesn't help much seeing the animal closer if the picture gets blurrier.

Frans

kootenayslam
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
If you're going to settle in and glass for a while make sure your spotting scope is set up and ready to go, sometimes you'll pick up an animal as it's almost out of site, not the best time to be digging in your pack for the spotter.......

also if you have a few basins to glass, time the glassing around when the sun is going to blind you and when it's not............;)

BEARSLAYER
02-05-2009, 02:18 PM
I dont know if anyone else does this but I always take along GenTeal eye drops. If I am up high ,above tree line the wind can sure dry the old eyes out. Even if its not windy after two hours looking thew a spotting scope can wear you down.

Jelvis
12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
This is where I'm a newbie so what's the main point for a guy who can't sit still?
Frenchie fried green tomatoes

elkdom
12-22-2010, 07:08 PM
This is where I'm a newbie so what's the main point for a guy who can't sit still?

Rocky cliffs and unstable areas are good spots for someone who can't sit still,,,,

frenchbar
12-22-2010, 07:18 PM

be the bird dog for the guys that can....

Jelvis
12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey bird dog get a way from my quail, hey bird dog, your on the wrong trail, bird dog you better find a little bird of your own.
Jelly ( Bird Doggin' ) Jan n Dean .. or .. the Everly Brothers? My 409 .. She's real fine my 409 ..
......................................... My 4 speed dual quad positraction 409 .. 409 .. 409 .. She's real fine ..

frenchbar
12-22-2010, 07:26 PM
:mrgreen:
Hey bird dog get a way from my quail, hey bird dog, your on the wrong trail, bird dog you better find a little bird of your own.
Jelly ( Bird Doggin' ) Jan n Dean .. or .. the Everly Brothers? My 409 .. She's real fine my 409 ..
......................................... My 4 speed dual quad positraction 409 .. 409 .. 409 .. She's real fine ....

figured that might make ya get off the beaten trail and spin a disc or 2

elkdom
12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
:mrgreen:..

figured that might make ya get off the beaten trail and spin a disc or 2

the AIR is thin at 7000 feet!,
everything takes on a different "DIMENSION or DEMENTIA " in the HIGH Country!:?

frenchbar
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
the AIR is thin at 7000 feet!,
everything takes on a different "DIMENSION or DEMENTIA " in the HIGH Country!:?

at computer level as well it seems:-D

bridger
12-22-2010, 08:03 PM
don't expect to always see whole animals learn to look for parts -- leg, rump, horns etc.

oscar makonka
12-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Pay particular attention to those shady areas out of the sun during midday if its hot and sunny out. Critters love the shadows and they can be almost impossible to see into.

Glassing from somewhere in the shade helps reduce eye strain and keeps you better hidden. If you can't get in the shade putting a towel/shirt something over your head/optics or just wearing a long billed cap to keep bright light/sun away from between your eyes and the lenses your looking through helps with eyestrain and you will see more clearly. Try to keep those pupils dilated as much as possible when glassing, much easier on the eyes.

A polarizing lense cap on the objective lense on your spotting scope cuts glare and improves contrast on bright days.

If no animals are obvious, look for parts of an animal, look for movement, switch of a tail, flick of an ear, the turn of a head etc.

paw325
12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Early morning and late evening. If the weathers going to get shitty, look all day

Rattler
12-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Spend time glassing the treeline...

lapadat
12-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Don't think this one has been mentioned yet.

ASS-PADS. Small piece of sleeping pad-style foamy to protect the arse from sharp shale and insulate against the cold.

Its light, waterproof and packs away nicely. Also serves as material for a make-shift splint, or other required padding.

One of Tarpman's ingenious ideas.

lap

TyTy
12-22-2010, 10:45 PM
If you can't see something quite clearly through your binocs, LANDMARK it so you can find it when/if you get closer.

Jelvis
12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
TyTy is beyond brilliant, landmark it, absolutely dazzling.
Jelenlightend .. now you know where the dang thing is, by marking the spot. Must have experience.

Mtn Man
12-23-2010, 09:25 AM
mentally lay out a grid pattern, go over it square by square so that your eyes are not automatically drawn to where you think you should see animals, then go over it again.