PDA

View Full Version : Wolves harassing livestock in Mission district?

huntergirl270
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
What is the scoop on dealing with this? My mom is currently having major issues with a small pack on her 50+ acres behind Mission. Can we legally deal with them or do we have to let them chase her dog and livestock?
Only educated answers please :)
Sherry

Barracuda
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
are you sure it is wolves? if they are actually going after the livestock you are allowed to protect the livestock from them.

huntergirl270
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
The farmers in the area have confirmed that they are a pack of three wolves. They seem to be staying out in the back mountain area of my mom's place but are harassing a few farms in the near area.

huntergirl270
02-03-2009, 06:32 PM
So can we shoot them while they are chasing her german shephard ?

sparkes3
02-03-2009, 06:36 PM
call wildlife and see what they say as there is no open season in mu 2-8 .

huntergirl270
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I have heard that the wolves might actually be protected as they have been "introduced" to the area. Has anyone else heard this ??

hunter1947
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I would get in a registered trapper to look after this thing.

The trapper will know what to do and will set up what they have to do in order to get rid of them.

proguide66
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I have heard that the wolves might actually be protected as they have been "introduced" to the area. Has anyone else heard this ??
I most deffinitely havenyt heard a a wolf being 'introduced' to any place in B.C....their #'s are on a massive RISE province wide.
Contact the ministry of envoronment...if you cant shoot them , maybe you can give a licensed trapper permission to clean them up.

huntergirl270
02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Can I get thru to wildlife this time of night? Anyone have the number handy?

MIL720
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
So can we shoot them while they are chasing her german shephard ?
SHOOT EM.....The only good wolf is a dead wolfhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

SteadyGirl
02-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Are the wolves feeding on your moms livestock? Anybodys livestock actually get killed?

I think wolves can run around 50k an hour so shooting one accuratly on the run would be quite Annie Oaklie:tongue:

fowl language
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
under the right to farm act you are allowed to protect your animals with what ever force necessary. my cousin uses the shoot shovel and shut up method on the farm but ill leave that up to you.....fowl

elkdom
02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
British Columbia Livestock act, predators harassing or killing livestock!

click! BOOM!

scallywag
02-03-2009, 08:40 PM
.have the wolves done any wrong? the wolves weren;t introduced they were REINTRODUCED back into the region to balance out the ecosystem. it would be great to see wolves back in the bush but at the same time if i saw them in my back yard i might be a strong believer in the SHOOT SHOVEL AND SHUT UP system.. i dont; know what to do ..

BCLongshot
02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
OK.....50 acres backhills of Mission.....And you need to find out what ????

JUST SHOOT THE DAMN THINGS

husky30-06
02-03-2009, 09:03 PM
can't you get a hold of "rubber" non lethal ammunition to give a bad taste, to deter them?????

02-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Any critter feeding on my live-stock, on my land is..... BanG! dead and gone.
Season or not.
These may be from the pack back of Pitt Lake- Harrison Lake way.
Boom!!, then hang the dead one from a nearby tree to show the others what takes place in them thar parts.
CT

huntergirl270
02-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Spoke with a guy at wildlife number this eve. He is having a CO call me tomorrow. He suggested the cattlemen's assoc. as they have their own "predator control" people.

Can't just shoot them and forget it. Wolves are not allowed to be hunted in MU 2-8 and my mom has a neighbor who is originally from North Van. who would definitely be asking questions if she were to witness it. (Her home is built along my Mom's fenceline on one side of the property and they have a view of most of my Mom's piece of land.) Not willing to take that risk.
My mom is expecting a load of calves around the end of the month possibly beginning of March and wants to have them dealt with before then and I explained that to the guy on the phone. This morning she was outside in her greenhouse and her dog (german shephard) came screaming around the barn with them on its tail right into her yard so she is VERY concerned for her own safety as well as her dog's.

The guy on the phone said that the register says that they have had sightings Pitt Lk and Coquitlam but no one had called these ones in yet.

yukon john
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
i agree kill em if you are a legit farm and wildlife is destroying your property u can kill them i have shot lots of possums coons and yotes on the farm depending on the part of mission your in it may be multiple projectile i.e. shotgun only the hunting regs can tell you that. Up sylvester road u can use a rifle but back by the gun club its shotgun or bow

huntergirl270
02-03-2009, 09:23 PM
i agree kill em if you are a legit farm and wildlife is destroying your property u can kill them i have shot lots of possums coons and yotes on the farm depending on the part of mission your in it may be multiple projectile i.e. shotgun only the hunting regs can tell you that. Up sylvester road u can use a rifle but back by the gun club its shotgun or bow

She is back of Hatzic Prairie as the hills start into the mountains. She has several large fields and then the back of her property is a mountain. I think the other side of her mountain is the "tree farm"

elkdom
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
[quote=huntergirl270;404922]Spoke with a guy at wildlife number this eve. He is having a CO call me tomorrow. He suggested the cattlemen's assoc. as they have their own "predator control" people.

Can't just shoot them and forget it. Wolves are not allowed to be hunted in MU 2-8 and my mom has a neighbor who is originally from North Van. who would definitely be asking questions if she were to witness it. (Her home is built along my Mom's fenceline on one side of the property and they have a view of most of my Mom's piece of land.) Not willing to take that risk.
My mom is expecting a load of calves around the end of the month possibly beginning of March and wants to have them dealt with before then and I explained that to the guy on the phone. This morning she was outside in her greenhouse and her dog (german shephard) came screaming around the barn with them on its tail right into her yard so she is VERY concerned for her own safety as well as her dog's.

The guy on the phone said that the register says that they have had sightings Pitt Lk and Coquitlam but no one had called these ones in yet.[/quote

I'm curious? did you happen to google Gov.BC and read through the ,
BC Livestock Act? really good info on your rights as owners of domestic animals, and yes your dog falls under this protection also!

Elkhound
02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
good luck with the wolf thing...keep us posted

The Dawg
02-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Get G out there with the 270 to clean them out :) Wish I was down there to help him. Well within the law to protect your animals, so get shootin'

Fixit
02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
felt i needed to clarify this-

your not hunting them - your protecting your farm/livestock/family

if your hunting u need licence/ obey hunting regs - If its harassing your livestock, click BOOM!

If your concerned with the neighbor print off some reading from the net and deliver it to the neighbor so they know that your not hunting them, your protecting your livestock.

SteadyGirl
02-04-2009, 06:50 AM
It sounds like these wolves haven't actually done anything! It is likely they will move back up with the wildlife in a month or two anyway!!!

Steeleco
02-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Should you need a volunteer, I know 2 guys that will be more than willing.

hunter1947
02-04-2009, 06:57 AM
I just met a farmer yesterday that have 200 dairy cows ,my instructor trapped 5 wolves on his property last year.

This farmer could not shoot the wolves because it was in a no shooting area.

Thats when my trapping instructor was called in to rid them and he got all 5 wolves ,some in a leg hold trap and some in a snare he used beaver carcase's for bait.

yamadirt 426
02-04-2009, 08:58 AM
I just met a farmer yesterday that have 200 dairy cows ,my instructor trapped 5 wolves on his property last year.

This farmer could not shoot the wolves because it was in a no shooting area.

Thats when my trapping instructor was called in to rid them and he got all 5 wolves ,some in a leg hold trap and some in a snare he used beaver carcase's for bait.

If its a no shooting zone how does he finish the ones in the leg hold. Strangle them ?

elkdom
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
If its a no shooting zone how does he finish the ones in the leg hold. Strangle them ?

probably kills them with kindness!:lol: or maybe just tells the wolf, I will let you go, if you promise not to eat cattle! hahaha:roll:

proguide66
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Could stick arrows into em!:shock:8)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Could stick arrows into em!:shock:8)

Good idea!
How many guys can claim to have killed a wolf with an arrow??:wink:

SSS

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 10:12 AM
It sounds like these wolves haven't actually done anything! It is likely they will move back up with the wildlife in a month or two anyway!!!

So my mom is supposed to wait until she is attacked or her dog is killed? THEY COME INTO HER YARD AFTER HER DOG when she is standing right there!!!! Would you leave that alone and not call the CO's if YOUR mom wasn't safe in her own yard????

She has over 50 acres she does not allow hunting on even when legal. She is a lover of nature but is on her own and DOES NOT FEEL SAFE.

When her load of calves gets dropped at the end of the month, they WILL be targets. The bear with her two cubs and all the deer that are usually in the back forty of my mom's are gone already. This has been going on since the first bad snowfall this year. She had expected them to move on long ago but I guess there must be something keeping them around.

We'll be dealing with it in a legal manner however we see fit. If my mom had her choice she would want them captured and relocated but the guy on the phone told me last night that wasn't a possibility.
Still waiting on the call from the CO today.

Danimal
02-04-2009, 10:14 AM
She is back of Hatzic Prairie as the hills start into the mountains. She has several large fields and then the back of her property is a mountain. I think the other side of her mountain is the "tree farm"

I have a friend who lives in that area, I would be interested in hearing if he has seen these buggers in any of the local hunting he's done? I would tend to agree with the majority of the responses and to just plug em and bury em! The problems we're having up North with wolves is rediculous, and it's in areas where most of the people cary guns and aren't afraid to use them, and even still it's way out of hand. I would hate to think what could happen in the lower mainland if a population of wolves started rising! LM People hear gun shots think the world is coming to and end, or anyone who legally own guns and/or hunts are seen as criminals! I would imagine that there would be an massive population of wolves, no game and famers would definately have there hands full. I hope your situation works out well for you, if you get an ok to "deal" with them I would be willing to help. In any case keep us posted!

riflebuilder
02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
If they are chasing her dog she can shoot them as she is protecting her livestock. If they are chasing her shepard it is because they view it as a threat to them or as food. It is only a matter of time untill they kill it. If it was my yard and dog the wolf would be dead. Iwould definatly report any incidence to the CO office. If it is killed in your yard there is not much question as to it being in defense of propoerty.

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
If they are chasing her dog she can shoot them as she is protecting her livestock. If they are chasing her shepard it is because they view it as a threat to them or as food. It is only a matter of time untill they kill it. If it was my yard and dog the wolf would be dead. Iwould definatly report any incidence to the CO office. If it is killed in your yard there is not much question as to it being in defense of propoerty.

That is what the guy on the phone last night pretty much said but wouldn't come out and say it was "LEGAL" I don't want my mom having to deal with any crap that may come out of this if we haven't dealt with it properly.
He said he would forward my info to someone who could answer my questions and tell me for sure.

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
I have a friend who lives in that area, I would be interested in hearing if he has seen these buggers in any of the local hunting he's done? I would tend to agree with the majority of the responses and to just plug em and bury em! The problems we're having up North with wolves is rediculous, and it's in areas where most of the people cary guns and aren't afraid to use them, and even still it's way out of hand. I would hate to think what could happen in the lower mainland if a population of wolves started rising! LM People hear gun shots think the world is coming to and end, or anyone who legally own guns and/or hunts are seen as criminals! I would imagine that there would be an massive population of wolves, no game and famers would definately have there hands full. I hope your situation works out well for you, if you get an ok to "deal" with them I would be willing to help. In any case keep us posted!

Who's your friend? I grew up there so I probably know him too :)

elkdom
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
So my mom is supposed to wait until she is attacked or her dog is killed? THEY COME INTO HER YARD AFTER HER DOG when she is standing right there!!!! Would you leave that alone and not call the CO's if YOUR mom wasn't safe in her own yard????

She has over 50 acres she does not allow hunting on even when legal. She is a lover of nature but is on her own and DOES NOT FEEL SAFE.

When her load of calves gets dropped at the end of the month, they WILL be targets. The bear with her two cubs and all the deer that are usually in the back forty of my mom's are gone already. This has been going on since the first bad snowfall this year. She had expected them to move on long ago but I guess there must be something keeping them around.

We'll be dealing with it in a legal manner however we see fit. If my mom had her choice she would want them captured and relocated but the guy on the phone told me last night that wasn't a possibility.
Still waiting on the call from the CO today.

So then let "NATURE" take it's coarse!:!: live trapping a wolf is very difficult and costly, the MOE is underfunded and understaffed, if there is a problem with predators, the only logical solution is to dispose of them
(IE; click BOOM!,) other solution is to simply stop complaining and worrying, hope the wolves are "VEGETARIANS" :confused: , seems to be a "city" dwellers' anti-hunting,compassion for pretty wolves, complicated by "My" hobby cows are risk from being eaten along with me and my dog by timber wolves??:confused: sounds like time to sell the farm and move back to "Metropolis":shock:

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
live trapping a wolf is very difficult and costly, the MOE is underfunded and understaffed, if there is a problem with predators, the only logical solution is to dispose of them

I think that is pretty much what I just said. We just want to do it legally.

other solution is to simply stop complaining and worrying, hope the wolves are "VEGETARIANS" :confused: , seems to be a "city" dwellers' anti-hunting,compassion for pretty wolves, complicated by "My" hobby cows are risk from being eaten along with me and my dog by timber wolves??:confused: sounds like time to sell the farm and move back to "Metropolis":shock:

My mom was just wanting the relocation looked into because she would prefer not to have them killed. She has lived in the back forty the majority of her life because she loves the wilderness. If you kill EVERYTHING that moves you might as well live in the city and travel into the wilderness to kill something.

Danimal
02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Who's your friend? I grew up there so I probably know him too :)

His name is Ron Brown, he is one of the best meat cutters I have worked with and an all around good guy. If where you're mom lives, is where I am thinking then he very well could be a neighbour of yours!

hunter1947
02-04-2009, 12:27 PM

A trapper will shoot the wolf in the snare or trap if still alive in a no shooting area ,the trapper that has all prudentials can do this in a no shooting area in order to kill the wolf.

GoatGuy
02-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Yes, wolves know they they aren't supposed to eat cattle or peoples dogs.

They're probably just hanging out waiting to see the "miracle of life" when the cows start dropping calves. Teaching the pups about the birds and the bees.

Or maybe they're fasting?

hahaha

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 06:10 PM
A trapper will shoot the wolf in the snare or trap if still alive in a no shooting area ,the trapper that has all prudentials can do this in a no shooting area in order to kill the wolf.

Thanks W. We may be looking into trappers if we go with contacting the cattleman's assoc. to help out.

TIKA 300
02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I lived in Hatzic,McConnel creek for about 8 years,and believe me,there were a lot of shots fired @ predatory animals....(not speaking from experience)

Wild one
02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Trapper will not be able to help you as there is no open season for trapping wolves in your area.

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I lived in Hatzic,McConnel creek for about 8 years,and believe me,there were a lot of shots fired @ predatory animals....(not speaking from experience)

Whereabouts do you live out there? I may know you :)

ruger#1
02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
I might know you to hunter girl . i went to hatzic high school.

358win
02-04-2009, 08:42 PM
You Do have the right to protect your livestock and crops. C.O.'s can issue you, or your designated hunter a permit for this. General open season area or not. Call your CO on this. It happens allot on small farmland on the island.

BCLongshot
02-04-2009, 08:57 PM
This is just stupid.

I don't want to be mean but I think your just lonely and wanting some attention.

DRAMA QUEEN

elkdom
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
This is just stupid.

I don't want to be mean but I think your just lonely and wanting some attention.

DRAMA QUEEN

lmao :lol:,,,jah think :roll:

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
This is just stupid.

DRAMA QUEEN

Yes.. thats it.. you got me :razz:

GROW UP!

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I might know you to hunter girl . i went to hatzic high school.

What year did you grad?

Crazy_Farmer
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I have lots of family in hatzic prairie, and they've been there for a real long time. Was just talking to an uncle the other night who owns a large chunk for cattle and he was talking about the wolves. I'm not sure if he's seen them but he said a few people have, I thought he even mentioned something about a ladies property where she's seen them. I didnt clue in till you said hatzic prairie, when you said mission I figured steelhead or somewhere up there.

Good luck. Hell in that area, a well timed gun shot or shots isnt something most in the area would worry about.

huntergirl270
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I have lots of family in hatzic prairie, and they've been there for a real long time. Was just talking to an uncle the other night who owns a large chunk for cattle and he was talking about the wolves. I'm not sure if he's seen them but he said a few people have, I thought he even mentioned something about a ladies property where she's seen them. I didnt clue in till you said hatzic prairie, when you said mission I figured steelhead or somewhere up there.

Good luck. Hell in that area, a well timed gun shot or shots isnt something most in the area would worry about.

You must be related to Heptonstalls or Kokoska then? My mom was just talking to them(sorry about the spelling if you are a Heptonstall relation. I have enough trouble just saying Jack and Barb's last name let alone spelling it)

TIKA 300
02-04-2009, 09:46 PM

I lived on Farms rd for 2 years between the store and the lake.
In 2 years i heard @ least 3 shots come from the base of the mountain,and it WASNT a shotgun.

I heard of a couple people disposing of nasty tree eating animals in the area by any means they could and some involved very fast moving lead....

The person in this house before me allegedly dispatched a lot of yotes in the area (cant confirm,cuz i never met him)

HG270
I lived on Sylvester rd for 4 yrs(2 doors down from ridgeview),on Burns for 2,in Mission for 2 than Hatzic for 2

ElkMasterC
02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
If it's legal to shoot them, and the CO says so, PM me. I just got laid off today...
***Rubbing hands together in glee***

I'll take care of 'em for your Mom.

hunter1947
02-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Trapper will not be able to help you as there is no open season for trapping wolves in your area.

Trapping season does not have to be open in order to trap wolves ,my trapper friend has a permit that is good for the entire year ,it is a special nuisance license ,he trapped these wolves last year out of the trapping season.

hunter1947
02-05-2009, 06:18 AM
You Do have the right to protect your livestock and crops. C.O.'s can issue you, or your designated hunter a permit for this. General open season area or not. Call your CO on this. It happens allot on small farmland on the island.

I new this farmer that had problem deer on his property that where damaging his crops and yes you are right 358 ,you can get a special permit to shoot problem animals on private property out of season from the COS but the shooter has to have a hunting license to do this.

To get this special permit the police where involved in it as for the CO.

There are lots of things you have to have in place before you can start shooting.

This area was a no shooting area and the hunter had to use a shotgun on this private property.

You have to have sines up and tell the police what time you are going to hunt these problem animals and stop .

Call up your local CO and he will tell you what you can do and can't.

SteadyGirl
02-05-2009, 06:31 AM
This is just stupid.

DRAMA QUEEN

Pretty much - although for the sake of providing a solution - if you mom is sooo scared to live in the bush after all these years, why don't you get her a couple of male adult lamas? ..Most of the cattle will be calving in large paddocks near the barns anyway...

Look74
02-05-2009, 06:54 AM
You can call this number any time 1-877-952-7277 to report any thing about Wildlife.

Mr. Dean
02-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Ahhh, The Internet.

HG. After you do your research and decide IF you need a hand or not, lemme know. I and another bud (he posted earlier) could be of help. We'd need clearance for shooting .22 center-fires.

I'm not sure if trapping is the answer here. It sounds as if the area is somewhat populated. A few pets *could* become quarry.... But if that's OK with Mother, it is her land and pets shouldn't be tresspassing either.

Anyways,,, sincere offer - Let me know via PM.

Otherwise, good luck. :smile:

rishu_pepper
02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Mr. Dean, either take me along or save me the wolf meat!! :biggrin:

ElkMasterC
02-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Mr. Dean, either take me along or save me the wolf meat!! :biggrin:

I don't even wanna ask......

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Just got off the phone from talking with a CO out of Surrey. He says there are no such thing as wolves in back of Mission. That was his only suggestion besides building up chain link around the perimeter of her whole property to keep them out.

elkdom
02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Just got off the phone from talking with a CO out of Surrey. He says there are no such thing as wolves in back of Mission. That was his only suggestion besides building up chain link around the perimeter of her whole property to keep them out.

What kind of "moron" would build a fence to keep something "out" the does NOT EXIST?? :confused:

What kind of "MORON" would try and write a ticket to someone for killing something he insists does "NOT EXIST"??:oops:

So basically there is no problem with shooting invisible WOLVES !!:razz:

and on a side note, I would say the CO didn't take you too seriously,,,:lol:

seems the CO kinda thinks of you as the "little girl that cried WOLF!!":roll:

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 03:37 PM
What kind of "moron" would build a fence to keep something "out" the does NOT EXIST?? :confused:

What kind of "MORON" would try and write a ticket to someone for killing something he insists does "NOT EXIST"??:oops:

So basically there is no problem with shooting invisible WOLVES !!:razz:

and on a side note, I would say the CO didn't take you too seriously,,,:lol:

seems the CO kinda thinks of you as the "little girl that cried WOLF!!":roll:

Good one :)
I got quite a chuckle out of your post!

Anyone want the number to call and see for themselves?

elkdom
02-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Good one :)
I got quite a chuckle out of your post!

Anyone want the number to call and see for themselves?

respectfully , I am totally AMAZED the CO office returned your call about wolves being a problem, secondly I wouldn't be surprised if the CO you talked to ha never observed wolves in wild first hand for himself, most likely he first went to the "Office Manual" on wolf predation, then his office STATS on wolf populations and locations and probably was only following procedure to close your file!:-|

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 03:53 PM
respectfully , I am totally AMAZED the CO office returned your call about wolves being a problem, secondly I wouldn't be surprised if the CO you talked to ha never observed wolves in wild first hand for himself, most likely he first went to the "Office Manual" on wolf predation, then his office STATS on wolf populations and locations and probably was only following procedure to close your file!:-|

He didn't call me back. I called him directly.

The person I talked to at the call center referred me to his number as well as back to the cattleman's association so I phoned both. The guy at cattlemans association still doesn't understand why they would even forward me to them but is willing to help. The guy at 604-582-5200 (Fish and Wildlife) was the one who said to fence with perimeter fencing to keep them out and that there are no wolves in back of Mission and haven't been for over 200 years.

elkdom
02-05-2009, 03:53 PM
and just to satisfy my curiosity??? :confused: you wouldn't happen to wear a bright RED BONNET and FRILLY RED DRESS and carry a basket on your way to GRANDMA"S HOUSE??? do you?? :wink:

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I should also add that the guy (Neil) that I spoke with at the call center had said that it falls under legislation that allows for protection of your livestock and the number he forwarded me to was just so I could confirm which firearms would be lawful in that particular area.

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 03:56 PM
and just to satisfy my curiosity??? :confused: you wouldn't happen to wear a bright RED BONNET and FRILLY RED DRESS and carry a basket on your way to GRANDMA"S HOUSE??? do you?? :wink:

All the time. WHY?

hunter1947
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Why would a CO say there are no wolves there ???? ,how does he know that there is not ????.

I think he should get off his ass and go look around this area ,the CO is being paid from our tax money isn't he.

I would talk to his Superior officer if he has one ,if not go above his head.

Did this CO tell you if you can shoot wolves if there is a problem with them ???.

I would ask him forget the fence thing and tell me what I can do and what I can't do :x.

elkdom
02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
All the time. WHY?

OOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOO

hahaha:evil:

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Why would a CO say there are no wolves there ,how does he know that there is not ????.

I think he should get off his ass and go look around this area ,is is being paid from our tax money isn't h.

I would talk to his Superior officer if he has one ,if not go above his head.

Did this CO tell you if you can shoot wolves if there is a problem with them ???.

I would ask him forget the fence thing and tell me what I can do and can't do :x.

I told him there is no way to perimeter the property as there is a cliff face on the mountain and it was not cost effective. She's a widow for ***** sake.
He said that we cannot kill them or even coyotes for that matter but can only be proactive in protecting our livestock by perimeter fencing or keeping them in the barn.

He said that if they remain in the area they may consider contacting biologists to see why.

He also thinks they are wild dogs that have wolf in their breeding so calling the SPCA could be an option.

Feel free to call the number I posted up and see for yourselves.

SteadyGirl
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
So will you mother consider lamas as an option? Or get a couple more big dogs? Calve in the barns or close to it? Dogs and lamas can be found for free.

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I had suggested llamas to my mother over a year ago when she was concerned about one particular coyote that liked to check out the barn. She isn't really open to the idea although its probably the best option.

goatdancer
02-05-2009, 06:04 PM
The CO said there were no wolves there so if you shoot them it can't be possible because they aren't there. Must just be a mirage.

Charlie
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Just shoot them then bury them. Keep your mouth shut and that's that.

Its either that or 8 more pages of essentially the same posts that go nowhere. :roll:

hunter1947
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
If they are wild dogs or crosses from wolves that makes them that much more dangerous.

If me I would call up a nuisance trapper and ask him what he or she has to say.

Me just learning about nuisance trapping is that I know that you can trap out of season for a problem predator and the trapper can get a nuisance special permit that will cover him for the entire year.

This trapper said that there was a time frame for different animals that you can't trap like wolf ,beaver etc.

Right now as I speak if the land owner is having a problem with a wolves and they are in season the trapper that has all what he needs ,paper work to getter as for written permission from the land owner he can trap wolves ,no ifs or buts.

If they are wild dogs crosses from wolves then they should be illuminated.

My instructor told me that he charged the person that has this farm $500.00 to get ride of 5 wolves last year.

I will pass this question onto my instructor friend tomorrow and see what he has to say about it all ,he is one of these trappers that has done this kind of thing on private property and does have that special permit for 12 months.

Gunner
02-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey huntergirl270,it almost sounds like MOE policy to deny the existence of wolves in BC.The biologist in Region 8 said for a number of years that"there were no wolves in Region 8",and when one was hit by a logging truck up Joe Rich Creek,the CO said "it was the first one he'd ever heard of"!Anyone that got up out of their chair and went in the bush knew they were there.Sounds like the person you talked to spends most of HIS time in a chair! Gunner

Barracuda
02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
the ministry says that the wolves do not exist so they must be coyotes abd thus it isnt a problem to dispatch them.

on another note if you destroy one for livestock protection then it shouldnt be an issue no matter what it is.

With all the fuss going on it sounds like she wants them to deal with a predator problem so she does not have to. . If she actually wants a solution then many here could lend a hand or perhaps even participate in secureing the needed authorization .

I guess the real question is what exactly does she want done?

elkdom
02-05-2009, 07:36 PM
the ministry says that the wolves do not exist so they must be coyotes abd thus it isnt a problem to dispatch them.

on another note if you destroy one for livestock protection then it shouldnt be an issue no matter what it is.

With all the fuss going on it sounds like she wants them to deal with a predator problem so she does not have to. . If she actually wants a solution then many here could lend a hand or perhaps even participate in secureing the needed authorization .

It kind of appears like "The PLAN" :-? is for everyone (wildlife ,domestic animals, wolves and gramma) to ALL live in "HARMONY" , "AT ONE with NATURE", :confused: just like in the Bible long, long ago,on the big boat called The ARK 8), or in more modern times "DISNEY LAND" :rolleyes:

ElkMasterC
02-05-2009, 07:45 PM
So will you mother consider lamas as an option? Or get a couple more big dogs? Calve in the barns or close to it? Dogs and lamas can be found for free.

I would love a free Llama!

Seriously... I would love it.

Nuff said.'

humble hunter
02-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I would love a free Llama!

Seriously... I would love it.

Nuff said.'

Chris, I think you are really down on yourself right now after getting "laid off" today. You are still a decent looking guy and can probably still get a date without having to resort to a Llama. Maybe huntergirl 270 is single, you should inquire.:razz:

ElkMasterC
02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
A Pox on you and your Lazy Basset.

Big Lew
02-05-2009, 08:53 PM
First of all, the CO is not correct about wolves not being in the area for 200 hundred years. I have travelled all over the west, east and north areas surrounding Stave lake and upper river, most of the time twenty years ago and earlier. I have seen elk, one grizzley, cougars, bobcat, one wolverine, many coyotes, and two wolves, both in the upper stave. If you look carefully at the maps, you will see it is not hard for animals to cross over from the upper harrison. Several years ago, a pack of about five wolves cleaned out all the fawns from the anderson watershed between spuzzem and the toll booth. One of my brothers ( also a very experienced back country traveller ) and I saw them playing on some rocks across the valley from us, and, yes, we do know the difference between wolves and coyotes.
Having stated this though, I would be more inclined to think your canine problem is that, wild dogs. For the last seventy years or so, the area from Haney to your area has had problems with wild dogs, mostly pets inter-breeding with each other and coyotes. My family have seen them through the years, most of them look somewhat like dark brown and black german shepards. At one time they were seen as a threat to school kids east of webster corners so the rangers were called out. Since then, the gov't tried to control them by dropping poisoned meat out of airplanes over blue mt.

huntergirl270
02-05-2009, 10:28 PM

She would love a hand in securing the necessary authorization but I think it will too late anyway from the sounds of it the other farmers in the area are taking matters into their hands. Consider the matter resolved. Thanks everyone.

The Dawg
02-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Chris, I think you are really down on yourself right now after getting "laid off" today. You are still a decent looking guy and can probably still get a date without having to resort to a Llama. Maybe huntergirl 270 is single, you should inquire.:razz:

She isnt single.....but I do know where someone could get free llama's in PG.

Moosinaround and I actually had a landowner tell us to shoot a few of them that had been running around his property for a couple of years. We could hear the chromosomes slamming into each other as this Toothless Wonder was talking, so we passed....real quick...

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Just heard a fresh story of a rancher in the Merritt area. Was after a wolf that was harrassing his cows but everytime he saw the wolf he didn't have a rifle. He finally caught him right after he sliced open a sick cow and pulled out the unborn calf.
The beast just stood there without fear with the calf in his jaws........bullet between the eyes ended it.
A big bugger he was.

SSS

hunter1947
02-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I asked my trapper friend about this on going post.

He said that if he was in that area and the land owner called him up he would be allowed to trap them problem wolves with the special nuisance license he has.

I asked him if he needed permission from the game department ,he said NO.

He said to me all he has to do is get written permission from this land owner.
When he has trapped the wolves out of this place he has to report the numbers he got and what they where at the end of the calender year ,when trapping these wolves all is legal http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

SteadyGirl
02-07-2009, 07:56 AM
A Pox on you and your Lazy Basset.

Not in this lifetime, and its looking doubtful for my next:lol:

The basset isn't even mine, I found him and then his owners. They didn't want him so I gave him away.
If I know my computer junkies ...:lol::lol::lol:... Hey Moose we lost emc

I just gave four lamas away to Parkland Alberta. You should have asked me sooner.

SteadyGirl
02-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Just heard a fresh story of a rancher in the Merritt area. Was after a wolf that was harrassing his cows but everytime he saw the wolf he didn't have a rifle. He finally caught him right after he sliced open a sick cow and pulled out the unborn calf.
The beast just stood there without fear with the calf in his jaws........bullet between the eyes ended it.
A big bugger he was.

SSS

7ft long I heard.

The wolves were down gold creek last night. I was out watering the horses when I heard them. The near full moon and dark skies had the orchastra going for a good twenty minutes. I actually went out and sat at the tree line.

I had been out riding my horse earlier in the same location, after I had been touching wolves. I wonder if they could smell the unknown wolves because that was a first that I know of. Once they stopped that was it, not another peep.. I like to think they went hunting on that huge elk herd grouped up back there.

moosinaround
02-07-2009, 08:54 AM
She isnt single.....but I do know where someone could get free llama's in PG.

Moosinaround and I actually had a landowner tell us to shoot a few of them that had been running around his property for a couple of years. We could hear the chromosomes slamming into each other as this Toothless Wonder was talking, so we passed....real quick...
I swear I could hear banjos.............................?

okanaganraised
01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
totally disagree with the quick thinking about killing the wolves,they wipe out coyotes,and take sick deer,they have not done anything serious yet as well,i have seen first hand what happens to animals in traps and im against it,they dont waste time in chewing their foot off...also,killing a wolf is against the law... so if you want to shoot them just because they are there in your sights,then you arent a hunter,your just an american idiot.

Barracuda
01-24-2010, 10:40 PM
wolves can legally be destroyed if they pose a threat to life or livestock and there is also open hunting seasons on them .

Gunner
01-24-2010, 10:54 PM
As a matter of fact me and the Foxpro will be wolf hunting in Region 3 tomorrow...:mrgreen: Gunner

Gateholio
01-24-2010, 11:13 PM
totally disagree with the quick thinking about killing the wolves,they wipe out coyotes,and take sick deer,they have not done anything serious yet as well,i have seen first hand what happens to animals in traps and im against it,they dont waste time in chewing their foot
off..

Wolves kill sick deer, healthy deer, healthy moose and anythign else they can find.

.also,killing a wolf is against the law... so if you want to shoot them just because they are there in your sights,then you arent a hunter,your just an american idiot.[

The provincial bag limit for wolves is 3 per year and many regions have extensive wolf seasons, so I think that you are pretty misinformed about the legality of wolf hunting.

coach
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Funny that this thread died last February and now has been brought back to life by a guy with only 3 posts. Looks like and anti to me..

Gunner - good luck tomorrow!

One Shot
01-25-2010, 01:56 AM
SHOOT EM.....The only good wolf is a dead wolfhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon4.gif

I am compelled to call BS to your statement, I believe that you need to do take some time to do some informed research on the balance of nature and what happens when a species in the chain is wiped out. You take out the problem ones that are effecting livestock etc. and you may harvest/hunt others but within sustainable limits for that region.

With a statement like the one you have made worries me as to what you may think about other species and that you are protraying yourself as a hunter only with no regard for conservation and with that, the possibility of dragging the rest of us into the same light when a comment like that is read by non hunters, conservationists etc.

One Shot
01-25-2010, 02:02 AM
your just an american idiot.

Can I buy you a coffee........ As I am a little hard of hearing and I am not exactely sure of what you said and if I were a liitle closer I would be sure. Looking forward.

hunter1947
01-25-2010, 06:28 AM
I like wolves they are on of the most beautiful animals on this earth ,but we humans have interfered with all living kind on this earth you name it we have done it.

We do need Wolfe's on this planet but when they get out of control we as the Superior race step in and do what we have to in order to control the population in different areas.

If we humans did not hunt or destroy the animals ,habitat nature would look after itself but that will never be the case..

tackdriver
01-25-2010, 08:49 AM

They are wolves ive seen them out there and there used to be more than 3:-D

Benelli FanBoy
01-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Just shoot them then bury them. Keep your mouth shut and that's that.

Its either that or 8 more pages of essentially the same posts that go nowhere. :roll:

Respect!

If we are talking about a HUMAN BEING'S safety, I probably wouldn't care if the animal was even protected!!!

dhog
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I know you can shot a dog thats harassing your livestock so I can't see a problem with shooting a wolf, and if not you can always be in fear for your life!!

j270wsm
01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
[quote=okanaganraised also,killing a wolf is against the law... .[/quote]

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING

eaglesj
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM

He asked for educated posts only.

01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
totally disagree with the quick thinking about killing the wolves,they wipe out coyotes,and take sick deer,they have not done anything serious yet as well,i have seen first hand what happens to animals in traps and im against it,they dont waste time in chewing their foot off...also,killing a wolf is against the law... so if you want to shoot them just because they are there in your sights,then you arent a hunter,your just an american idiot.

come on really?
this has got to be a joke.

beerhunter is back with a new approach.

safarichris
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
She would love a hand in securing the necessary authorization but I think it will too late anyway from the sounds of it the other farmers in the area are taking matters into their hands. Consider the matter resolved. Thanks everyone.
That's it,that's it? After all this advice you requested, That's it?

Piperdown
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
The 3 s's come to mind huntergirl, shoot, shovel and shut up!

Benelli FanBoy
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
The 3 s's come to mind huntergirl, shoot, shovel and shut up!

Best response I have ever heard!

doubled
01-28-2010, 10:04 PM
And that is why there will be silence. Let it die folks.

huntergirl270
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Why are people posting on this thread now? This is from last yr people! The issue is gone now.

killman
01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
It's not over until we say it's over DAMN IT!:mrgreen:

j270wsm
01-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Well what happened? Did the wolves get taken care of? Did someone throw one of the wolves at the conservation officer?

Slime green cat
01-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Well what happened? Did the wolves get taken care of? Did someone throw one of the wolves at the conservation officer?
I think that pack of wild boars in the Agassiz area made there way over towards Mission and took out the wolves :wink:

triggr31
01-29-2010, 12:46 AM
oh no peta says wolfs don't hurt livestock or people .

Ltbullken
01-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Talk to a Conservation Officer about the problem. Check the Regs and also check the Livestock legislation as I am certain it says something about shooting animals predating on livestock but please read it for yourself. Good luick