PDA

View Full Version : A Big Bull and Bad Bear

bridger
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Big Bull and a Bad Bear

It was late September, and a mixture of rain and snow continued to fall as our pack string of 15 horses labored heavily up the steep hillside. Nearly a mile from top to bottom, the north facing hillside was laced with muskeg; a real challenge in wet weather. Finally reaching the top, I pulled up to give the horses a chance to blow and regroup.

Turning, I could see my friends, the late Jerry Secrist, his son Joel, Dave Kellestine, and Jon Johnson, checking packs and making sure the diamonds were tight. Still two hours from camp, we were wet, cold, and tired. It was late in the day and knowing that dark would come early because of the weather, we were anxious to get to our campsite, unpack, and get set up.

Heading down the trail, we entered a long valley that had been burned in years past, making it prime moose and elk habitat. Primarily hunting elk, we had agreed because of the nine hour pack to the trailhead, we would only shoot real big bull moose.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/rich_petersen_023.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12661&limit=recent)

I was thinking of that decision as I rode along, my head buried in the hood of my rain coat in a futile attempt to avoid the pelting rain and snow. Topping a small rise, I saw a young bull moose with a cow off to my right about 60 yards away. They were paying us no mind. Their attention was focused further to the right. I stopped, turned in my saddle, and looked right into the face of a big bull moose.

And what a bull he was!! With antlers at least 55--maybe even 60 inches wide--with good palms and lots points, he was certainly an above average bull moose. “Hey, anybody want to shoot a big bull moose?” I asked, looking over my shoulder. The bull, in full rut, had gathered a harem of six or seven cows and was giving them his full attention, completely ignoring us. Suddenly smaller bull appeared from behind some trees, causing the big bull to take a few steps toward the intruder and display his antlers. That and a grunt were all it took to convince the smaller bull that he should forget about the cows and leave the country.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/rich_petersen_010.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12663&limit=recent)
We were admiring the big bull standing less than 100 yards away. His attention riveted on his harem, he would, from time to time, turn his head, stare at us, and then turn his attention back to his cows. Cold and wet and still two hours away from camp, as incredible as it seems, we decided to leave this bull for another day.

“I can’t believe you guys,” Joel said. “Nobody is going to shoot this bull????,” he exclaimed, exasperated.

“Don’t worry, we’ll find him tomorrow; he won’t go far with all those cows around,” Jon R. said, nonchalantly. “Let’s get to camp,” he continued, turning his horse down the trail.

Three hours later our horses were unpacked, hobbled, and turned out for the night; the 12 x14 wall tent was up, and a fire was burning in the stove.

“I still think we’re going to regret not shooting that big bull,” Joel said, as we sat around the stove after dinner; sundowners in hand.

‘Maybe,” I said, “but we would still be out there in the snow and rain, dressing him out, instead of in this nice warm tent.”

“You boys are definitely in your golden years,” he went on shaking his head and throwing another stick in the fire. “A few years ago all of you would have been trying to get the first shot in; now you just sit on your horses hoping no one will shoot,” he went on. We knew he was just giving his dad and his older friends some friendly ribbing, but as I sat warming up by the fire, I was glad we had passed on the bull.

“Comes with age, when you are young and inexperienced, dressing a big bull out in the dark and getting back to camp at one o’clock in the morning, tired and soaked to the skin, seems like fun. As you become more experienced, you come to appreciate a more relaxed approach,” I said refilling my glass.

“Does experience mean older and lazier,” Joel said laughter in his voice.

“Probably,” I said laughing, “but don’t worry, we’ll find that bull in a day or two.”

the pass was interrupted several times as we stopped to glass several different bulls, none of which compared to the big one we had seen earlier. Two hours later we reached a vantage point that would allow us to glass the general area in which we had seen the bull. Half an hour later, I spotted a large bull across the valley along with a bunch of cows.

“Have a look in that draw straight across from us. There’s a big bull standing in the spruce trees and there’s a bunch of cows below him in the burn,” I said to Dave and Joel.

“That’s a big bull all right,” Dave said, “but I can’t get a good look at his antlers.”

“Let’s go take a closer look,” I said.

Twenty minutes later we on a small knob and could see the cows below us in the burn but couldn’t see the bull anywhere. “He has to be around here somewhere,” I said. “Let’s spread out and work our way down the hillside.” We tied our horses and proceeded walking slowly down the hill. Moving downhill as quietly as possible, I noticed a cow looking at something in front of me. I sat down and began carefully glassing the burn. Slightly to my left about 200 yards I could see the outline of a moose in some willows and blow down. I set up my spotting scope for a better look and could see that it was a large tri- palm bull. I couldn’t tell for certain if he were the bull we had seen previously, but he was too good to pass up.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/rich_and_moose.jpeg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12660&limit=recent)

At the sound of my shot, moose began running in several directions, including three other large bulls. The bulls were out of sight before I could get a look at them, but I was pretty sure the big bull we were after was one of them.

“If that was the big bull,” I thought to myself, “how big is the one I just shot?” I worked my way over to the bull just as Dave and Joel got there.

“He’s a dandy bull,” Dave said, “but he isn’t the one we saw the other day.”

“Well, anytime you can get a bull like this you can’t feel too bad,” I said.

“We’ll just have to keep looking for the other one, and if we get him I can make two trips to the trail head; we have lots of time,” Joel said. (I a little long winded on this one part 2 coming up)

buckguy
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Great Bull!! Can't wait for part two!! Definately a great way to see beautiful country.

waistdeep
02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
thats awesome, love the pictures in the story. great to relive those times that we all cherish so much. got to love those horses, lot easier than in a pack

Geo.338
02-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Awesome ! It is great to hear these stories and see these pics to get us through the off season .

nano
02-03-2009, 04:48 PM
thats a great story.

bridger
02-03-2009, 04:48 PM
An hour later we had the bull dressed and the quarters in meat sacks hanging from a tree a short ways away from the gut pile. “We aren’t going to have time to come back with pack horses today. I hope a grizzly doesn’t find the carcass,” I said, somewhat wistfully.

“Chance we’ll have to take,” Dave said. “We haven’t seen much bear sign so we should be okay.”

We left camp early, trailing two pack horses. The first hint of trouble came about a mile from the bull. “Oh, oh, we’ve got trouble,” I said pointing to a fresh set of grizzly tracks coming out of the creek and heading straight for my moose.

“No doubt the bear will be on the carcass.” Jerry said, “He can easily smell it from this distance.”

We quickly decided the best approach would be to make a wide circle and come in on the carcass upwind and above the site. That way we hoped the bear would either smell us, or see us, and leave. As we approached to within about 120 yards of the carcass, we dismounted and tied the horses to some trees. In this situation I always look for the meat hanging in the tree. If all the quarters are there chances are everything is ok. This time all the quarters were gone!! Meaning only one thing. Bear trouble!

“I can see the bear,” Jerry said suddenly, pointing out in front of us across a small draw. “He’s burying what’s left of your moose.”

One look at this bear and it was obvious that he was an old boar, big and dominant. At the top of the food chain! Smaller bears will often abandon a carcass if they feel threatened by your presence. Several times over the years I have yelled or shot in the air to scare small bears away. I had a different feeling about this guy. Dave yelled at the bear. The boar turned and looked at us. Instead of running away he stood up on his hind legs and began growling and snapping his teeth as if to say, “This is my moose and I’m not going any where.”

“We are not going to get that moose without a fight,” I said.

“No sense to that,” Jerry said, “the meat is probably no good anyway.” We stood there just watching the bear, who was now sitting on his rump on top of the moose, looking at us like your banker does when you owe him money.

We watched the bear for several minutes as he continued to bury the carcass. Not willing to give up the moose so easily I yelled very loudly at the bear. The bear immediately charged!!! He covered 30 yards, then abruptly stopped, reared up on his hind legs and began growling and snapping his teeth again.

“Don’t shoot! It’s just a false charge, he’s bluffing,” I said in the few seconds that elapsed.

“Bluffing or not he’s getting too damn close,” Jerry said. We remained very still for what seemed like several minutes; the bear staring at us and us at him. We talked quietly and decided to leave him in peace if we could quietly back out of the situation. We started to back up and the bear dropped down to all fours and stood watching us. One of us (who in this story shall remain nameless) couldn’t resist telling the bear where to go one more time.

That did it!!!!! Instantly the bear charged at full speed. It was obvious this time that it was no bluff. He meant business; he wasn’t fooling around. The next sequence of events happened faster than it takes to tell it.

“I’ll shoot in front of him; if he doesn’t turn, you guys shoot him,” I yelled, throwing my rifle up. In the scope I could see the bear taking coming hard, too close for comfort. I shot at his feet. Amazingly, he turned instantly to the left and stopped about 100 feet away, then walked back over to the moose, growling and huffing. He was still on the prod, but the fight was out of him.

Facing that charging grizzly full of fight is something none of us will ever forget.
We collectively let out a sigh of relief.

“That bear was a half second from being dead.” Jerry said, “You shot just in time. I was just ready to pull the trigger.”

We laughed and joked nervously; then slowly backed to our horses and left the bear with my moose.

“That’s the kind of bear the will kill you,” I said as we rode back to camp. “Just imagine what would have happened if some one was just riding or walking along and innocently bumped into that guy.”

All in all it had been quite an experience and regretfully the only thing I salvaged from the 53 inch bull was a few pictures and a great memory.

Two days later Joel found the big bull, a 57--incher, but that’s another story.

steelheadSABO
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
to bad about the meat but grizzly gets his pick first

bridger
02-03-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/rich_petersen_021.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12666)

An hour later we had the bull dressed and the quarters in meat sacks hanging from a tree a short ways away from the gut pile. “We aren’t going to have time to come back with pack horses today. I hope a grizzly doesn’t find the carcass,” I said, somewhat wistfully.

“Chance we’ll have to take,” Dave said. “We haven’t seen much bear sign so we should be okay.”
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/rich_petersen_014.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12668)

We left camp early, trailing two pack horses. The first hint of trouble came about a mile from the bull. “Oh, oh, we’ve got trouble,” I said pointing to a fresh set of grizzly tracks coming out of the creek and heading straight for my moose.

“No doubt the bear will be on the carcass.” Jerry said, “He can easily smell it from this distance.”

We quickly decided the best approach would be to make a wide circle and come in on the carcass upwind and above the site. That way we hoped the bear would either smell us, or see us, and leave. As we approached to within about 120 yards of the carcass, we dismounted and tied the horses to some trees. In this situation I always look for the meat hanging in the tree. If all the quarters are there chances are everything is ok. This time all the quarters were gone!! Meaning only one thing. Bear trouble!

“I can see the bear,” Jerry said suddenly, pointing out in front of us across a small draw. “He’s burying what’s left of your moose.”

One look at this bear and it was obvious that he was an old boar, big and dominant. At the top of the food chain! Smaller bears will often abandon a carcass if they feel threatened by your presence. Several times over the years I have yelled or shot in the air to scare small bears away. I had a different feeling about this guy. Dave yelled at the bear. The boar turned and looked at us. Instead of running away he stood up on his hind legs and began growling and snapping his teeth as if to say, “This is my moose and I’m not going any where.”

“We are not going to get that moose without a fight,” I said.

“No sense to that,” Jerry said, “the meat is probably no good anyway.” We stood there just watching the bear, who was now sitting on his rump on top of the moose, looking at us like your banker does when you owe him money.

We watched the bear for several minutes as he continued to bury the carcass. Not willing to give up the moose so easily I yelled very loudly at the bear. The bear immediately charged!!! He covered 30 yards, then abruptly stopped, reared up on his hind legs and began growling and snapping his teeth again.

“Don’t shoot! It’s just a false charge, he’s bluffing,” I said in the few seconds that elapsed.

“Bluffing or not he’s getting too damn close,” Jerry said. We remained very still for what seemed like several minutes; the bear staring at us and us at him. We talked quietly and decided to leave him in peace if we could quietly back out of the situation. We started to back up and the bear dropped down to all fours and stood watching us. One of us (who in this story shall remain nameless) couldn’t resist telling the bear where to go one more time.

That did it!!!!! Instantly the bear charged at full speed. It was obvious this time that it was no bluff. He meant business; he wasn’t fooling around. The next sequence of events happened faster than it takes to tell it.

“I’ll shoot in front of him; if he doesn’t turn, you guys shoot him,” I yelled, throwing my rifle up. In the scope I could see the bear taking coming hard, too close for comfort. I shot at his feet. Amazingly, he turned instantly to the left and stopped about 100 feet away, then walked back over to the moose, growling and huffing. He was still on the prod, but the fight was out of him.

Facing that charging grizzly full of fight is something none of us will ever forget.
We collectively let out a sigh of relief.

“That bear was a half second from being dead.” Jerry said, “You shot just in time. I was just ready to pull the trigger.”

We laughed and joked nervously; then slowly backed to our horses and left the bear with my moose.

“That’s the kind of bear the will kill you,” I said as we rode back to camp. “Just imagine what would have happened if some one was just riding or walking along and innocently bumped into that guy.”

All in all it had been quite an experience and regretfully the only thing I salvaged from the 53 inch bull was a few pictures and a great memory.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/rich_petersen_016.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12667)
Two days later Joel found the big bull, a 57--incher, but that’s another story.

zigman
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Cool story. Definitley the best curse of action to let the bear have the carcass.

Charger440
02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for sharing a great story:shock:
I'll bet it was pucker city for you with that Bruiser at full charge!!!
Glad you made it home safe with memories you'll never forget.
Congratulations!

Will
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Great stuff ! :smile:

BiG Boar
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Bridger, I have to say you have THE BEST way of telling a story of anyone on this site. Feels like I am there, you going to publish these stories for your kids to read?

kyleklassen
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
did he have all the quarters buried? bury the gut pile too? cool story.

Rust
02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for sharing Bridger. Adding the pics to the story was a great idea.

wildman 22
02-03-2009, 07:08 PM
great story bridger,had a couple expisodes with bears also.

BCRiverBoater
02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Bridger, I have to say you have THE BEST way of telling a story of anyone on this site. Feels like I am there, you going to publish these stories for your kids to read?

More like his grand kids. I think his kids are a little too large to sit on his knee and have them read to them. :smile:

bridger
02-03-2009, 09:06 PM
More like his grand kids. I think his kids are a little too large to sit on his knee and have them read to them. :smile:

you got that right and besides they have already heard them

brian w scott
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Good story, I was bluff charged 4 years ago by a very large griz down along Kinbasket lake out of Valmont. Reading this brings back alot of memories and emotions. That was the last time I packed my30-06 in that country, now its me and my 338 win mag.

yama49
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
awesome story bridger.... time to write a book!!!!!!!!!!!

Blainer
02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow!enjoyed that story.
Hope there are more to come,with pictures as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Elkhound
02-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Great story, great pics, great hunt. Great job. Thanks

showtimebc
02-04-2009, 12:46 AM
great story and awsome pics, thanks for sharing!

hunter1947
02-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Nice country and nice bull moose ,as of always very interesting story.

sneg
02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Exciting adventure.Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

7mag700
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I'll be rooting for you every time you go hunting Bridger - love a good story.

WTG,

7m7

jasper
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
wow nice story and a nice bull i think i would have let bear have the moose even if it was the 57 inch bull

02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
awesome story,
loved the pictures,
sounded like one hell of a trip.

Rattler
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Great story!

Thanks for sharing...

kennyj
02-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Awesome story and photos.Thanks for sharing .
kenny